Debating Theists.... So Impossible

GB-GIL

Tiassa, I find it strange that you don't know when one atheist stops and the next stars.
Well, think of it this way, GB-GIL: I know atheists are individuals. You know they are individuals. But damn, do they act like robots. One person makes an offensive generalization about a group of people and suddenly there are two more atheists there trying to rip open the wound. I tend to think atheists are like religious people in the sense that they are individuals when alone but prefer to think in a commonly-identified group when more than one is present. This whole thing probably wouldn't have gone so far without a couple of atheists stepping in and making what was a rather silly personal conflict between Notme2000 and myself into a nicely-generalized mess. I do know when one atheists stops and the next starts, but when the atheists put so little effort into it, what am I supposed to do?
Why are theists all obsessed with the idea that atheists argue mostly over the more prevalent notion of god instead of the smaller ones that theists believe in?
This is a wholly inaccurate statement, GIL, and you ought to be ashamed of yourself for it. Most atheists argue over the petty, tiny gods that they learn from the least educated, most superstitious theists. I would like to see a broader knowledge base among atheists. In other words, I find an almost tragic paradox here, that atheists are more directly affected by gods than the theists are. Shake it off, that's all.

Take a look at the topic, GIL ... don't be so obsessed.

Of course, if I don't know when one atheist stops, what should be said about atheists? I mean, if "thesists" are so hypocritical, perhaps you could explain to me the core hypocrisy of a Hindu compared to the core hypocrisy of a Jew compared to the core hypocrisy of a revivalist shamanist. I would love to see how those hypocrisies work together. But the best most atheists can do is to lump all religious groups together as one, even those they don't know about, and say "theists _____" (fill in the blank: are drunk, stupid, idiotic, obsessed, named Tiassa, ad nauseam.

I have no doubt that there is intelligence among atheists. Such a question really has no place on the table. However, I do wish that more atheists would show that intelligence. Remember when arguing against narrow theism such as we might find in vulgar Christianity and fundamentalist Islam that as long as you argue the point at the level of any given individual, you're arguing against a paradigm that is specifically constructed to hold together according to that individual's needs. Meeting such a religion head-on will only freeze and polarize the issues, and debate or argument do not change much.

Rather, one must bear in mind that humans are imperfect, and therefore no theology created by a human is perfect. With vulgar Christianity, as noted, the Bible is a straight debunking, so it seems very easy to go for the jugular. But because the Bible is so straightforward in its errors, an atheist can honestly inquire about those gaps that present themselves to his or her intelligence.

And at that point, it comes down to why people are arguing. For the rush? Sure, meet them head on. In that case, there's no progress to be had and what can be said of what atheism brings a person except that obsession? However, in learning about and understanding that vulgar Christianity, one can usually present conditions within the paradigm that lead to change. The paradigm should be exploited, not opposed. Telling a Christian they're stupid only reinforces their belief in their propriety. Asking, "Well, if the Bible says this, could it mean this?" And then you can go on to lay out the argument from the Bible, from Christian epistemology, and from modern faith among other factors.

Like Notme2000's generalization about logic (noted for example): The problem with Christian logic is best encapsulated with the Catholics. If you go to NewAdvent or other such repository of Catholic history, philosophy, and dogma, it becomes quickly apparent that the Catholics are among the most logical people on earth, save two a priori assumptions: that God exists and that the Bible is accurate and true in its descriptions of God.

Now, the second comes from the first, but the second reinforces the first.

What's funny is that the only reason I'm a theist is that buried in there is a definition of God that I can accept. I find it ironic that the concept didn't catch on with the Catholics, and that's one reason why I've never become a Catholic. That's all it is. Personal integrity does not allow me to deny that definition: God is that which is greater than our conception. At such a level, you approach a mystical notion that "God is". Being, form, persona ... these are all mere speculations. It's the reason why I have no religion. The concept of God is largely irrelevant to me except that it affects other people. Technically, they're entitled to it the same as we're entitled to voice our opinions. And when they voice their opinions in a forum like this, we have an opportunity to understand how that opinion forms and holds together.

And that seems a more pleasant, more effective, more respectable approach than the kind of condemnation I've been protesting throughout this topic.

Think of it this way:

• When I was about 7, I read a children's book called My Mother the Mayor Maybe, which was my first exposure to the politics of Democrats and Republicans (I liked Carter in the 1980 election not specifically because he was a Democrat, but, as a child, he seemed intensely more personable and kind than Ronald Reagan). My father tried to teach my brother and I about Democrats and Republicans, and did so with the intent of making Republicans sound better. Unfortunately, he put it in the wrong terms for my young conscience; his basic division helped turn me into a Democrat. On the flip-side, my brother decided he was a Republican. As such he felt justified when Reagan was elected and it wouldn't be until 12 years later, in adulthood, that he would see that he was just agreeing with a position. The more he learned from sources he trusted about the American history and politics, the more obvious it was that he was merely riding the Republican ticket in order to "ride a winner". By the end of the Republican revolution, it had set in on him that he had grasped one concept, gotten lucky (via Reagan's election) and held on to "being right" without ever looking closely at what he was supporting. In the end, he got 12 years of being "right" about something that it turns out he doesn't believe in, and much conflict entered his life toward the end of that when people realized he had just shut off those beliefs one day and didn't bother to tell us. I can still remember sitting at dinner and hearing him calmly explaining his position on something--utterly in contradiction of what he had said for years; I can still remember him saying, "No, I never thought that. Why do you think I did?" Well, dude, because you said it for twelve years. Because you condemned people for disagreeing with you. And the whole time you weren't paying attention to the what you were endorsing.

In the same vein: Atheists, generally, are correct. Except it seems that they don't know it.

What does that mean? Atheists, by picking the seemingly logical option in the face of narrow religion, are generally correct. However, atheists tend to merely hold their line, confident that their logic is enough. Even oppositional atheists tend to do this. However, just as when my brother should have known what he was advocating, so, too, do I feel about an atheist. It's well enough to know that 2+2=4, but if you know that by rote and have no arithmetic skills, what possible good can it do you? Learning the 2+2 of religion means learning a little more about religions. Is it enough that an atheist should be correct without knowing why?

When an atheist figures out why they are correct, their atheism usually takes a step down, their pride usually two steps. It's not that they come to believe in anything, but suddenly the processes of what they oppose become clear, and it really can become an issue of compassion.

Whether atheists see religion as a mental illness, as a social menace, or as a personal stumbling block, merely deriding people of faith is, in effect, the same as telling a cokehead how big a piece of shite he has become while piling more dust on the table for him.

It might be time for another topic in which atheists declare what religion is. One of the things I hope to discuss soon with Notme2000 is why this topic exists at all. It doesn't seem that he wants to erase religion. It doesn't seem he wants to undermine faith. It doesn't seem he wants to spread some social salvation through the elimination of religion. So I'm left wondering why the topic exists at all. It seems we're moving that direction, though, so it's best to take it as it comes.

Just one piece of advice, though, GIL: When generalizing to make a point (iMac users, named TIassa, &c.) it is best if you maintain a certain degree of consistency. My observations of atheists, while not uniformly applicable to atheists, find far better statistical correlation than your generalisms in response. I don't mind the tit-for-tat, but I do wish you would employ one of the many real and legitimate aspects available than simply reducing it further to a blast against me.

Is it theists or is it the Tiassa? Seriously.

You could have asked why theists tend to become so aggressive when challenged. Of course, that one is easily answered, so I understand why you didn't. You could have asked why most theists lack much of the same human sympathy I find absent in atheists. That would have been a tougher answer, but it would have been a more responsible and, by proxy of what I interpret your point to be, more effective approach from the atheistic corner.

Somewhere in Foucault's Pendulum (by Umberto Eco), Pow and Belbo have a conversation about the difference between idiots and morons. I forget the exact distinctions to each one, but the point being that most, if not all humans are one or the other. The difference had to do with doing or believing the right things for the wrong reasons versus doing or believing the wrong things for the right reasons.

Reaching the "correct" conclusion is a mere accident if one does not understand the factors of that conclusion. My brother chose to be a Republican out of opposition. For 12 years he did not pay attention to what he meant. One day he woke up and found that much of his world had betrayed him, so to speak. I doubt the same sense of betrayal will come from atheism, but I do hope for better evidence that atheists understand the slightest portion of the subjects they undertake.

Does atheism in any way lead to knowledge? Or is it just a bandwagon?

thanx,
Tiassa :cool:.

Wow, talk about being out of the loop ...!

I sincerely hope I'm not missing the point on this, but I figure that <b>tiassa</b> is trying to let everyone know that simply arguing from an antheist viewpoint (because one believes it's inherently correct) is the same as arguing from a Christian viewpoint. Blast, I probably still don't have it right.

When I first started posting on here (and admittedly I don't have that many posts as it is), I was full of venom and bitterness particularly towards Christianity. I considered myself the ultimate atheist, though I really had no clue what to classify myself as.

If anyone doubts that Christians can be astute and intelligent and very debatable, perhaps you can reread some of <b>tony1</b>'s posts. Yeah, there was a fair share of rhetoric and circular logic, but the kid could reason his way out of nirvana.

Theists and non-theists bring different 'weapons' to the table when it comes to debates. It's incredibly difficult to dislodge someone from a very personal belief system. Especially if most of their affirmations have come through feelings. God, you got your visual people (like me) and your auditory learners and your feelers. You can no more persuade a feeler that their feelings are false than make an athiest pray to God each morning. And, really, this is not to say that their feelings are false, because, frankly, they're not. Athiests always say they have logic on their sides, but also tend to argue from feelings. Sure, facts are presented, but when the facts are seemingly 'ignored', then the feelings come out in full force.

My brother is a firm believer in Christianity, is very intelligent, and is very respectful of others. I can't consider him some imbecilic troglodyte just because he happens to be Christian. Doesn't it ultimately come down to how you treat others? Who cares if that's a Christian concept! Does that mean that anything that Christ said athiests have to automatically dismiss? Hell no. Guy said a lot of good things. Sure, it's okay to argue over any of the points, but it's difficult to say that he spoke pure evil or that he should be dismissed.

Just lately--maybe it's due to some Anne Rice books I've been reading--I've been developing a sympathy for the devil. Does this make me a non-athiest? Who cares!

Some people like to read things in black and white. Athiests think Christians see the world in binary color: good and bad; Christians think Athiests see it in two colors as well: God and No-God.

It's like people want a leg-up on others. Oh, you're Christian/Athiest, eh? Well, at least I'm further evolved/progressed than you. What a wasted thought. Doesn't matter if they're Christian/Athiest/amoebic or whatever, just as long as they treat you good, right?

All right, all right, I can hear the soapbox I'm standing on creaking, too. Just wanted to add into this jumble and acknowledge that <b>tiassa</b> (unless I'm reading him wrong) has managed to bring about a pretty good point: Just because we may happen to be on the same mountain doesn't make my looking North the only way to see.

Thanks!

prag

All that ... and more?

It's nice we can get out of "the wallows".
That seems to be what we're hoping for.
Please elaborate
Well, you made a distinction 'twixt the substantive part and "the rest" and advised that "the rest" makes you assume a lack of confidence.

What am I supposed to think when what you call "the rest" composes so much of your posts? At this point, though, we hope to be past that. Very simply: If the mere presence of "the rest" in my posts indicates a lack of confidence in me, what does the predominating presence of "the rest" in your posts indicate about you? It's mostly a food-for-thought jab.
Ok, your very first coment on the whole thing did seem warped and twisted, I still stick by that, but you have since explained yourself, so let's let it go, I no longer think you are twisted.
If I could put words to my theory about those things, I would. Suffice to say, thank you. I'm glad we could communicate on that one.
I don't look down on theists, though you can't tell from this debate.
It was mostly a comparative point: many do, and I point out that they are ridiculing the mentally ill. However, as relates the current topic which seems to be absent of that particular sentiment, I don't think it should have to go that far before the theists should be awarded human compassion.

Mercy? Okay, okay ... I'll give Zero histrionic points for the line and leave it be. But come on: do they really have to be insane before they deserve less open hostility and more thoughtful engagement? Must they be insane before they deserve dignity?

In that sense, I would ask why it's important to you, as an atheist, to actively be one. It seems well enough that an atheist is "without God" as the definition goes. But I don't understand why so many atheists chooses to identify themselves and take their swings. Is it mere release of internal stress? Is there a theistic question one needs answered? Is there a political stake that motivates the atheist to a protectionist position?

If it is those that wish to get rid of religions, well, they'll never succeed. (People will invent new gods.) But in terms of getting rid of the older, detrimental religions--and I agree with many atheists about those religions--or in terms of alleviating the stress those religions place unduly on communities, a more compassionate, more understanding, more subtle approach will be called for. Whatever it is in one's atheism that motivates them to openly address religion: understanding, education, compassion, subtlety--these will be more effective than balbutive opposition for oppositional sake.

If one merely seeks to protect themselves from the religious--again, a point I agree with many atheists on--understanding &c. will help. The sense of threat diminishes.

There will be plenty of opportunities to directly address the foibles of this or that theist. Holding all theists responsible for that is a bad, bad move. It would be like me concluding, based on observation of a narrow range of atheists, that atheists are all post-christian egomaniacs.
ALL my friends are theists, one a devout christian, and they are incredibly deep. We have the coolest conversations, and they are deep because we both realize we can teach, and LEARN.
I will officially stop harping on the logical generalization, though I will reserve the right to use it as an example. But thank you. Truly.
People can lie to themselves all they want, it's their right. But when they lie to someone else, ie: convince or convert, that is not cool... I think they should get to their answer on their own.
Get the answer on their own ....

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

At this point, my requirement for "thinking for themselves" is satisfied.

Which brings me to a specific point: I direct a good amount of rage at religious leaders and their organizations. If you want an example, search for my comments on the Oregon Citizens' Alliance. But if I take a look around Sciforums and its prior incarnation, Exosci, one of my biggest errors in dealing with Christians was to award them too high a presumption of intellect. I know that sounds weird, but bear with me for a moment.

• I've had a number of ugly debates with Christians. In at least one case, the poster decided to eliminate 1,500 years of history with no alternate theory to fill in the gap in order to avoid considering the long-running tendency of Christian institutions to screw with the social order. Catholics, it turns out, aren't Christians, though the poster alleging that could not explain to me why God entrusted the Bible to the Catholics for 1,500 years as the sole stewards of His Word. At which point I basically unloaded on that poster and have never really let up: I make sure that absurdity is on the table any time he comes to a relevant debate until such time as he renounces the position or provides that alternate theory of how the Bible became available for him, or for me, or for any of us in the 20th century. It would have been simple enough to answer the question of why God entrusted the guide to Christian faith to non-Christians, and let them set the canon. I made a mistake early on, and presumed the guy intelligent enough to understand the issues. As a result, I spent months in a mudslinging fight with an offensive Christian who, it turns out, was not smart enough to understand the argument taking place. I feel badly for that. But I also feel my compassionate fuse burned up. However, from that experience, I've figured out how to make slower-burning fuses, so to speak.

• The debates have been so ugly in the past that Christians have threatened violence. I feel badly about that; I had presumed the Christian intelligent enough to understand the conversation and therefore erroneously presumed him to merely being difficult for the rush. Had I realized it was a genuine inability to grasp the concept, I would have taken a different tack. It is an error that can only be learned from.

• I've damn near chased someone off this site before for threatening cultural extinction in the name of Christianity. Technically, I feel badly about that. I should not ostracize or excoriate the stupid, but help educate them.

In all these cases, I should have helped the person find the necessary knowledge so that they could get the answers for themselves instead of stewing in blind faith and anger. But in all these cases, I made the mistake of presuming people to be smarter than they are.

So in the end, I no longer look at these people as the liars. I look at them as victims. And it is useless to pity a victim. It is vital raise them out of victimhood. In some cases, such as the anti-Catholic poster, I feel justified in reaching the end of my rope. However, I cannot deny the fact that I need a longer rope.

In the political arena, such as with the religious leaders who lie to the religious flock, well, the political arena is the place for screaming and action. It was a hard position in Oregon, Christian advocates pointing out that various churches were opposing the OCA while other Christian advocates who sided with the OCA were pointing out that this opposition was coming from the heirarchy, not from the flocks. In the end, a lot of Christians who never thought about it became homophobic when their faith was included alongside the liars pushing the anti-gay agenda. It was a mess. Who is lying and who is lied to?

Well, most of these people are lied to. And that is the cornerstone of what to do about bad religion.

Break the lies, show truth. Show it within their paradigm; this often has the effect of reducing the religion from all-encompassing reality to a mere template according to which things are compared. This latter state is preferable, because ideas of God take on a more subtle presence in the believer. Some, when given an inch, can actually take that mile and turn their faith into something new and, perhaps unrecognizable to the former state without your compassion. And that something might actually be beneficial to you, the believer, and the community.
As an athiest I have to go with this answer. But not in a condencending nature, I just look at human nature, and see religion is the logical answer to a near impossible question.
Fair enough. More than fair. It is the condescension that makes the point damaging. From a position of metaphysical neutrality, "ignorance" is the best term to use.
So we can be peacefull now, correct?
I would hope so. It seems to be moving that direction. I doubt anybody's praying for it, though. ;)
Couldn't agree more. If I were to subscribe to those arguments, those cool conversations with my theist friends wouldn't go too far.
Again, thank you ... I'll leave that as it is.
Good point.
Thank you. Honestly, it's a twofold annoyance to me:

• The most obvious is that I end up having to slog through it, but let's try to find a better reason.
• The better reason is that you have to slog through it. I mean, as a theist, I'm happy to undertake the riddles of people's faiths. It's part of trying to understand what God equals in the Universe. However, I would think the atheists, if they were to consider religion at all, would rather consider a coherent part of it so that worthwhile considerations may be had. Perhaps that's a huge presumption, but I would hope not.
I see that as a step up. They still comit to the "lie" but are willing to at least change it with time, and when someone thinks they actually have power of a whole religion, this church says f@ck that, good for them!
Ever meet Seventh-Day Adventists? I wouldn't speak so poorly of them except that my experience is so consistently negative; anecdotally, I know several people of my own age (late 20's) who call themselves SDA "escapees". I agree with their assessment. Incidentally, though, that portion was just leading up to the "Column A/Column B" moment.
K, well we've both been able to sleep on it, so let's get up, dust ourselves off, and get the hell out of these depths.
Fair enough. That seems what we're working toward.
K, well we've both been able to sleep on it, so let's get up, dust ourselves off, and get the hell out of these depths.
A couple of things here ... where to start?

• First, the reference to the thread had multiple motivations.
• One was to show that debates of higher intellect can occur.
• Another, which occurred to me as I was looking at the referenced topic, was that yes, you can see me in the same combative mode I've been in, and aimed at a different ideology.
•_A difficult point to make is that while I respect the topic, its poster, and most of what went on in there, even this was a fairly low-level consideration. It's fundamental, to be sure, and critical to Christianity, but even the most complex debates we have about Christianity will necessarily lack something. It's the nature of the religion. Because Christianity is such a straightforward debunking, it's an easier topic than it could be. That sort of thing.
Maybe this is why as soon as I try to have a debate with one they automatically think I'm out to destroy their religion.
Combine that with vocabulary, you probably have something. However, in the modern US, for instance, I would assert that many Christians are aware of how tenuous the theological position has become and are sensitive toward it. It is exceptionally difficult, when trapped in the Christian paradigm, for thought and faith to evolve as a matter of will. Each rejection of an old principle threatens to become a rejection of God; in terms of the psychological weight, we see part of what stands against the development and evolution of faith in the modern period. So most likely they're reacting to a challenge of principle that they are, at their innermost core, unsure about themselves. Most everyone will walk away if they so choose, but they won't be dragged away. You might have a furious argument with a religious person and felt to have made no progress. But five years later, something they experience might click with something you said and unravel the whole of it. It's why the mellow approach is best; it increases the odds.

There is, however, a couple of things left to learn about your version of atheism. Most I know would welcome the chance to affect another's faith. Most I know would welcome the chance to reduce the effect of this or that religion. I cannot say the same with you. To wit, our manipulation discussion. Most atheists wouldn't argue that aspect of the point with me. In fact, what history suggests would be offensive to atheists is that I claimed to be more effective because of my theism at what so many of them wanted to do. Oh, well. You learn something every day.
Yeah, I know. Unfortunately, pointing this out to atheists seemed to piss some of them off. You learn something every day ... ;)
All I've done by being athiest is admitted I know nothing. How is that superiority?
An interesting take on it, but we're trying to drop the generalization and the subsequent degradation of the discussion. My answer lies in those aspects we've agreed to try to move past.
Let's hope so for both our sakes.
Fair. It was something I felt was lacking.
Funny, I swear I was getting down in the wallows once and a while and thought YOU existed there.
Well, that's where I perceive the topic starting. My first post, I promise, was sincere. I was even arguing with myself about the tone. But literally, that post ("You're a little late") was pretty much my direct response. The PS is actually my pausing to think that such an answer was inadequate and might be considered snooty; hence I wanted to offer the topics I was referring to. I think it's quite obvious after that where my attitude went sour. Oh, well. It seems we're both looking back at the mess and wondering how we stepped in it.
You're right, so let's drop it.
Indeed. Dropped.

Ouch, my toe. :D
Lol, I swear I was NOT referring to the kiss my ass thing. Should thought of that, lol. My bad,
I still don't know where I got the "which cheek" bit from. Strangely, it wasn't from the kiss my ass bit. I think it was just an immediate reaction. Weird, weird.
Strange, I feel the same about the religious corner. But I realize that's only one corner of something huge and not to judge the entire group on that one corner.
Maybe we can undertake that. You'll notice how I side with "theism" and rarely any particular religion (Sufism, Buddhism, and various pagan revivals get preferential treatment). I agree that the religious corner is vitriolic, but that's largely because that religious corner is composed mostly of Christians, post-Christians, pagans who have Christianity in their past, Westerners attempting to assimilate Oriental philosophies according to Western perspectives ... is there a pattern developing?

To be specific: When I step outside the Abramic experience (Judaism, Christianity, Islam) I find religion to matter considerably less than it does within that experience. And even within the Abramic experience, for Sufism has vital ties to Islam, and while I am more and more disturbed by the Israeli state itself, I tend to get along fairly well with Jews and cannot ever recall having argued with one about religious ideas the way I have frequent cause to oppose Christian encroachment.

It's a matter of degrees, and it's hottest around Christianity and Islam. I think Judaism gets not necessarily a free pass, but achieves a certain understanding; there are billions of Christians, almost two billion Muslims, and only 13 million Jews. Judaism has its problems, but people generally aim for bigger game than 13 million members of a dying cult.

I think you'll find out among theism in general a much more useful atmosphere than you do sticking close to community faiths such as I remember growing up, churches in towns of 5,000 preaching any silly idea for the glory of God ... it really is different.
Tiassa, nice to look you in the eyes. I feel we can do alot more this way
So do I, so do I.
Don't take this in a wrong way, but get over yourself. You aren't all that. I've met plenty of deeper people than you.
Don't take this the wrong way, Notme, but if I come off as a holy avenger of some sort, take a look around. I could, of course, just shut up and leave the atheists to their hurrahs and affirmations, but it really does seem a stupid reason to get on any forum just to say, "Theists are stupid!" and raise that glass over and over again with fellow atheists. I'm hardly the brightest person in the world, and while your perception of my depth drawn from a two-dimensional environment worries me little, I do wonder at your self-righteous need to say it.

Guess what, Notme: You're not all that, either. And if you want generalizations and so forth to be dropped and left in the past, I suggest that you abandon the small-mindedness altogether. Small-mindedness in a new form has the effect of reminding me of its prior forms as well.
Don't take this in a wrong way, but get over yourself. You aren't all that. I've met plenty of deeper people than you.
No, you haven't offended. But if you want me off my soapbox, quit saying that you want me off my soapbox while handing me a written invitation to get back up on it.

Neither one of us is all that, Notme2000. But, frankly, you'll notice that the only reason this topic is continuing is because of my participation. For instance, had you not offered one of those lines that we're trying to get past, I probably would not have continued in this topic in the first place. I probably would have withdrawn from it just as I did in the pop-culture topic.

But I will tell you, Notme2000, what I am. I'm the guy that keeps this religion forum from breaking down into a bunch of atheists yelling "stupid drunk idiots" while a bunch of Christians yell "blind numbskull sinners!" We might go through this from time to time, but if you watch carefully, at least other things are getting addressed alongside the cacophony.

What I find most amusing about that notion is that people are usually putting more thought into the religion they oppose while dealing with me than if they were simply slinging back and forth with a member of the faith. And when you stop and think about how pointless some of those arguments are, well, what can be said of the thought being put toward religion by the atheists when they're not dealing with me?

I don't mind balbutive. But I do prefer it to aim toward something. Even children must learn to walk before they can dance. Otherwise, they just sit around holding onto their ding-a-ling-a-lings. I don't mind the sandbox religion our atheists depend on, but I do wonder why they're not learning anything about the religions they're engaging.

If you get the time, though, check out the link I provided in my initial response to the topic. I do see a difference between you and a couple of the atheists who have checked into this topic. And while I greatly appreciate the harmony-seeking atheistic input in this topic, I cannot let that blind my perception of the negative aspects of this or many other debates. Maybe you didn't intend to inspire atheists to call other people stupid, drunk, or idiotic. I'm willing to bet on it, based on what you've told me in these later posts. But in that sense, I would say that you might wish to spend some time getting to know the atheist community around here. Perhaps you can help draw forth the better aspects shown by a few--again, for and to whom I am appreciative--of your atheist counterparts. After all, those folks are the clear minority among atheists at Sciforums.

thanx much,
Tiassa :cool:

Thank you, Prag

Pragmathen

In addition to all that, you've given me new perspective on T1. Well-timed, even if accidental, and definitely well-placed and pointed.

thanx much,

When an atheist figures out why they are correct, their atheism usually takes a step down, their pride usually two steps. It's not that they come to believe in anything, but suddenly the processes of what they oppose become clear, and it really can become an issue of compassion.
Wow, very good point. Congrats, Tiassa, you have convinced me to try to understand the idea of religion better. A strong man can admit when he's made a mistake.
It might be time for another topic in which atheists declare what religion is. One of the things I hope to discuss soon with Notme2000 is why this topic exists at all.
I have always viewed religion as filling in the blanks. I've never had any hatred or even uncomfortableness with religion. I have a 6 year old cousin, and he has been raised very religiously. He often asks me to pray with him, which I do. I don't think any God is hearing me pray, but I don't see any harm in it either.
the difference between idiots and morons. I forget the exact distinctions to each one, but the point being that most, if not all humans are one or the other. The difference had to do with doing or believing the right things for the wrong reasons versus doing or believing the wrong things for the right reasons.
Lol, so true.
The way I see it, it opens the door to knowledge, but it's up to the individual to walk through it. Now before you say it isn't fair that athiesm opens the door to knowledge and theism doesn't. Theism opens the door to spirituality, something equally important.
What am I supposed to think when what you call "the rest" composes so much of your posts? At this point, though, we hope to be past that. Very simply: If the mere presence of "the rest" in my posts indicates a lack of confidence in me, what does the predominating presence of "the rest" in your posts indicate about you? It's mostly a food-for-thought jab.
All I meant by "the rest" was the paragraph about a book you read to make a point that could easily have been made without it. Know what I mean?
It was mostly a comparative point: many do, and I point out that they are ridiculing the mentally ill. However, as relates the current topic which seems to be absent of that particular sentiment, I don't think it should have to go that far before the theists should be awarded human compassion.
It must be tough sticking by a belief and being concidered mentally ill for believing it, especially since you cannot produce and physical evidence that you're not (Not saying you are). And these people NEED physical evidence to believe you, I could see it being frustrating and trying. But in the same coin toss, as an athiest, I am often concidered void of emotion, like some sort of logical calculater. I assure you I have strong emotions, in fact I find emotion to be incredibly beautiful to me, since I cannot logically explain it. So you see, we are in the same boat.
But I don't understand why so many atheists chooses to identify themselves and take their swings. Is it mere release of internal stress?
You want to know what I think? I think athiests miss God, and we're making up for it with "swings". As you can imagine, being in a universe all alone, with no heavenly father, can be a little intimidating.
I will officially stop harping on the logical generalization, though I will reserve the right to use it as an example. But thank you. Truly.
This is so much easier. In less than 3 posts I've gone from despising you (sorry) to actually liking you... Lol, ah how the tides turn.
Break the lies, show truth. Show it within their paradigm; this often has the effect of reducing the religion from all-encompassing reality to a mere template according to which things are compared
I couldn't agree more. Have something to lean on, not hold them up.
Fair enough. More than fair. It is the condescension that makes the point damaging. From a position of metaphysical neutrality, "ignorance" is the best term to use.]
But I do not look at myself as better than thiests. Just more correct in a certain area, and certain area alone. Which is why I realize that just because I may be right in one area, it does not mean that I am the shit and can force feed it to whomever I feel. That would only show how ignorant I would be in other certain areas myself.
I would hope so. It seems to be moving that direction. I doubt anybody's praying for it, though
Well I've dropped the hatchet, I hope I can trust you not to take advantage of that.
I would think the atheists, if they were to consider religion at all, would rather consider a coherent part of it so that worthwhile considerations may be had. Perhaps that's a huge presumption, but I would hope not.
Makes sence to me.
Ever meet Seventh-Day Adventists?
No I haven't, if you have a moment, please explain.
You might have a furious argument with a religious person and felt to have made no progress. But five years later, something they experience might click with something you said and unravel the whole of it. It's why the mellow approach is best; it increases the odds.
Believe it or not I usually go about the mellow way. Only reason this debate was so heated at first is many people were rippin on me for my generalized thread, and you came in at the wrong moment and mentioned something about making my debate or shut the hell up (don't bother explaining, water off the duck's back now) and something just snapped. But I have also noticed the mellow aproach to work. One of those theist friends of mine, is now the closest to athiesm as a theist can be, thanks to me. And I've watched it happen. Once I mentioned the fact that truth doesn't tend to our needs, it is what it is, like it or not, it's up to you wether you seek truth or hapiness... Well he suddenly changed his philosophy in the journey of life. But likewise, with his intelligent remarks as a theist, I am now as close to a theist as an athiest can be. I doubt you have seen this side of me in this debate, but every time someone brings up an argument for God, instead of just discarding it cause I already "know" there is no God, I put it in my bank of evidence/arguments, and apply it to the evergoing struggle of logic vs spirituality every time I am confronted by it. I only want the truth, not a pre-decided one. If there isn't a God, ok. If there is... GREAT!
Most I know would welcome the chance to reduce the effect of this or that religion. I cannot say the same with you. To wit, our manipulation discussion.
I fell victim to pride, wasn't willing to let my previous statements go. Phew, that's hard to admit. I do agree with your subtle but helpfull religous advice method, and do follow it when in that sort of situation.
An interesting take on it, but we're trying to drop the generalization and the subsequent degradation of the discussion. My answer lies in those aspects we've agreed to try to move past.
Fair enough, though I hope with my previous statements I have convinced you I do not hold myself above anyone.
Oh, well. It seems we're both looking back at the mess and wondering how we stepped in it.
Amen to that.
Westerners attempting to assimilate Oriental philosophies according to Western perspectives
Lol, if you ever talk to Empty Dragon (the real one), he is one of those, though very deep, so don't shrug him off!
I think you'll find out among theism in general a much more useful atmosphere than you do sticking close to community faiths such as I remember growing up, churches in towns of 5,000 preaching any silly idea for the glory of God ... it really is different.
I first started out as an athiest with a grudge against religion. Until I met 2 of my deep thiest friends now. One is a somewhat gnostic, one taoist. When talking with them, I realized religion can be something much deeper than an excuse not to ask important questions and think everything is peachy. In fact, quite the oposite sometimes. This is the theist I respect. When they make an argument, I concider it harder and longer than I do most athiests (simply pointing out how much respect I, an athiest, put in certain theists).
Small-mindedness in a new form has the effect of reminding me of its prior forms as well.
In your last post I have come to realize it was a defense mechanism you were using against my offensive mechanisms, which I took to heart as thinking you were full of yourself. I completely retract that statement. I know, now that we have dropped the "mechanisms" all together, you ARE just here to learn and teach. My bad, truly, sorry.
I'm the guy that keeps this religion forum from breaking down into a bunch of atheists yelling "stupid drunk idiots" while a bunch of Christians yell "blind numbskull sinners!" We might go through this from time to time, but if you watch carefully, at least other things are getting addressed alongside the cacophony.
And that is what attracted me BACK to this forum which I had originally planned on abandoning.
I would say that you might wish to spend some time getting to know the atheist community around here.
I have really begun to notice that in this conversation. I didn't use that "drunken idiot" comment to back me up for 1 reason: It's totally untrue. I have been pre-judged in almost every thread I've been in for being an athiest, and now that I am getting to know some of these athiests I'm being generalized with, no wonder. They seem to think rejection of God means they are the new replacement God, when in reality they're on someone else's coat tails. I'm glad you have realized I am NOT one of these athiests. I am in search for the truth, and realize I may not like it. And with every bit of temporary truth I find, I do my best to cope. Now that it seems we are no longer pushing each other and getting nowhere, we can get somewhere twice as fast... And I just spent an hour writing the post, lol.

Last edited:
Re: GB-GIL

Originally posted by theists
Well, think of it this way, GB-GIL: I know atheists are individuals. You know they are individuals. But damn, do they act like robots. One person makes an offensive generalization about a group of people and suddenly there are two more atheists there trying to rip open the wound. I tend to think atheists are like religious people in the sense that they are individuals when alone but prefer to think in a commonly-identified group when more than one is present. This whole thing probably wouldn't have gone so far without a couple of atheists stepping in and making what was a rather silly personal conflict between Notme2000 and myself into a nicely-generalized mess. I do know when one atheists stops and the next starts, but when the atheists put so little effort into it, what am I supposed to do?This is a wholly inaccurate statement, GIL, and you ought to be ashamed of yourself for it. Most atheists argue over the petty, tiny gods that they learn from the least educated, most superstitious theists. I would like to see a broader knowledge base among atheists. In other words, I find an almost tragic paradox here, that atheists are more directly affected by gods than the theists are. Shake it off, that's all.

Take a look at the topic, GIL ... don't be so obsessed.

Of course, if I don't know when one atheist stops, what should be said about atheists? I mean, if "thesists" are so hypocritical, perhaps you could explain to me the core hypocrisy of a Hindu compared to the core hypocrisy of a Jew compared to the core hypocrisy of a revivalist shamanist. I would love to see how those hypocrisies work together. But the best most atheists can do is to lump all religious groups together as one, even those they don't know about, and say "theists _____" (fill in the blank: are drunk, stupid, idiotic, obsessed, named Tiassa, ad nauseam.

I have no doubt that there is intelligence among atheists. Such a question really has no place on the table. However, I do wish that more atheists would show that intelligence. Remember when arguing against narrow theism such as we might find in vulgar Christianity and fundamentalist Islam that as long as you argue the point at the level of any given individual, you're arguing against a paradigm that is specifically constructed to hold together according to that individual's needs. Meeting such a religion head-on will only freeze and polarize the issues, and debate or argument do not change much.

Rather, one must bear in mind that humans are imperfect, and therefore no theology created by a human is perfect. With vulgar Christianity, as noted, the Bible is a straight debunking, so it seems very easy to go for the jugular. But because the Bible is so straightforward in its errors, an atheist can honestly inquire about those gaps that present themselves to his or her intelligence.

And at that point, it comes down to why people are arguing. For the rush? Sure, meet them head on. In that case, there's no progress to be had and what can be said of what atheism brings a person except that obsession? However, in learning about and understanding that vulgar Christianity, one can usually present conditions within the paradigm that lead to change. The paradigm should be exploited, not opposed. Telling a Christian they're stupid only reinforces their belief in their propriety. Asking, "Well, if the Bible says this, could it mean this?" And then you can go on to lay out the argument from the Bible, from Christian epistemology, and from modern faith among other factors.

Like Notme2000's generalization about logic (noted for example): The problem with Christian logic is best encapsulated with the Catholics. If you go to NewAdvent or other such repository of Catholic history, philosophy, and dogma, it becomes quickly apparent that the Catholics are among the most logical people on earth, save two a priori assumptions: that God exists and that the Bible is accurate and true in its descriptions of God.

Now, the second comes from the first, but the second reinforces the first.

What's funny is that the only reason I'm a theist is that buried in there is a definition of God that I can accept. I find it ironic that the concept didn't catch on with the Catholics, and that's one reason why I've never become a Catholic. That's all it is. Personal integrity does not allow me to deny that definition: God is that which is greater than our conception. At such a level, you approach a mystical notion that "God is". Being, form, persona ... these are all mere speculations. It's the reason why I have no religion. The concept of God is largely irrelevant to me except that it affects other people. Technically, they're entitled to it the same as we're entitled to voice our opinions. And when they voice their opinions in a forum like this, we have an opportunity to understand how that opinion forms and holds together.

And that seems a more pleasant, more effective, more respectable approach than the kind of condemnation I've been protesting throughout this topic.

Think of it this way:

• When I was about 7, I read a children's book called My Mother the Mayor Maybe, which was my first exposure to the politics of Democrats and Republicans (I liked Carter in the 1980 election not specifically because he was a Democrat, but, as a child, he seemed intensely more personable and kind than Ronald Reagan). My father tried to teach my brother and I about Democrats and Republicans, and did so with the intent of making Republicans sound better. Unfortunately, he put it in the wrong terms for my young conscience; his basic division helped turn me into a Democrat. On the flip-side, my brother decided he was a Republican. As such he felt justified when Reagan was elected and it wouldn't be until 12 years later, in adulthood, that he would see that he was just agreeing with a position. The more he learned from sources he trusted about the American history and politics, the more obvious it was that he was merely riding the Republican ticket in order to "ride a winner". By the end of the Republican revolution, it had set in on him that he had grasped one concept, gotten lucky (via Reagan's election) and held on to "being right" without ever looking closely at what he was supporting. In the end, he got 12 years of being "right" about something that it turns out he doesn't believe in, and much conflict entered his life toward the end of that when people realized he had just shut off those beliefs one day and didn't bother to tell us. I can still remember sitting at dinner and hearing him calmly explaining his position on something--utterly in contradiction of what he had said for years; I can still remember him saying, "No, I never thought that. Why do you think I did?" Well, dude, because you said it for twelve years. Because you condemned people for disagreeing with you. And the whole time you weren't paying attention to the what you were endorsing.

In the same vein: Atheists, generally, are correct. Except it seems that they don't know it.

What does that mean? Atheists, by picking the seemingly logical option in the face of narrow religion, are generally correct. However, atheists tend to merely hold their line, confident that their logic is enough. Even oppositional atheists tend to do this. However, just as when my brother should have known what he was advocating, so, too, do I feel about an atheist. It's well enough to know that 2+2=4, but if you know that by rote and have no arithmetic skills, what possible good can it do you? Learning the 2+2 of religion means learning a little more about religions. Is it enough that an atheist should be correct without knowing why?

Whether atheists see religion as a mental illness, as a social menace, or as a personal stumbling block, merely deriding people of faith is, in effect, the same as telling a cokehead how big a piece of shite he has become while piling more dust on the table for him.

It might be time for another topic in which atheists declare what religion is. One of the things I hope to discuss soon with Notme2000 is why this topic exists at all. It doesn't seem that he wants to erase religion. It doesn't seem he wants to undermine faith. It doesn't seem he wants to spread some social salvation through the elimination of religion. So I'm left wondering why the topic exists at all. It seems we're moving that direction, though, so it's best to take it as it comes.

Just one piece of advice, though, GIL: When generalizing to make a point (iMac users, named TIassa, &c.) it is best if you maintain a certain degree of consistency. My observations of atheists, while not uniformly applicable to atheists, find far better statistical correlation than your generalisms in response. I don't mind the tit-for-tat, but I do wish you would employ one of the many real and legitimate aspects available than simply reducing it further to a blast against me.

Is it theists or is it the Tiassa? Seriously.

You could have asked why theists tend to become so aggressive when challenged. Of course, that one is easily answered, so I understand why you didn't. You could have asked why most theists lack much of the same human sympathy I find absent in atheists. That would have been a tougher answer, but it would have been a more responsible and, by proxy of what I interpret your point to be, more effective approach from the atheistic corner.

Somewhere in Foucault's Pendulum (by Umberto Eco), Pow and Belbo have a conversation about the difference between idiots and morons. I forget the exact distinctions to each one, but the point being that most, if not all humans are one or the other. The difference had to do with doing or believing the right things for the wrong reasons versus doing or believing the wrong things for the right reasons.

Reaching the "correct" conclusion is a mere accident if one does not understand the factors of that conclusion. My brother chose to be a Republican out of opposition. For 12 years he did not pay attention to what he meant. One day he woke up and found that much of his world had betrayed him, so to speak. I doubt the same sense of betrayal will come from atheism, but I do hope for better evidence that atheists understand the slightest portion of the subjects they undertake.

thanx,
Theists :cool:.

Theists, just because it may be true for the vast majority of atheists (which I find it hard to believe) doesn't mean you should push it as the truth for 100%.

Now, people wouldn't be so upset at you, Theists, if you were to say "many atheists" or "most atheists" or "the vast majority of atheists" instead of "atheists" and "the atheists".

"The atheists" at least have the common sense to do the same thing about you, Theists. I mean, Theists, "most theists are dumb" has been said over and over, but never have I heard on Sciforums from anybody that posts more than 1ce a week that "theists are dumb".

Honestly, Theists, why must you take what you call statistics and warp them into pseudo-statistics?

Theists, by saying that "the atheists" this and "atheists" that makes you just another theist. However, Theists, perhaps you could jump out of that boring old mold by stopping your gross generalisations.

thanx much,
Mark

p.s.
thanx, Theists, for reading my post ;)

Originally posted by notme2000
As an athiest I love debating my beliefs in hopes of gaining even a bit of new knowledge. But one thing I've noticed about debating with theists, is it's a never ending debate... Simply because they do not incorperate logic in to the debate... And it seems that is the foundation debating is founded on... Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts or comments on this.:)

Yes, notme, I feel your pain, Tiassa are idiots and you can't gain knowledge from them. It's a never ending debate, and Tiassa never incorporate any logic into their debate.

Hopefully someday Tiassa everywhere will realised the divine truth of atheism and convert from Tiassa to atheism.

GB-GIL Trans-global:
While I appreciate that you know what I mean, I wouldn't take it as far as you have. I'm sure we could learn much from theists. The foundation of athiesm is an un-determined truth. That leaves room for thiests to be right... And hoping everyone will convert to athiem is just as bad a christianity being able to put commercials on tv. We need a balance of beliefs, or we'll get nowhere cause we'll be too busy revelling in the fact that we're "right", and won't have anyone to question us...

GB-GIL Trans-global:
While I appreciate that you know what I mean, I wouldn't take it as far as you have. I'm sure we could learn much from theists. The foundation of athiesm is an un-determined truth. That leaves room for thiests to be right... And hoping everyone will convert to athiem is just as bad a christianity being able to put commercials on tv. We need a balance of beliefs, or we'll get nowhere cause we'll be too busy revelling in the fact that we're "right", and won't have anyone to question us...

I'm surprised you couldn't tell I was trying to make a point to Theists... err... Tiassa... err... Theists...?

Hmmm...

Wow, Tiassa, you are a truly warped and twisted individual...

Yes, make comments on the individual directly and not the idea. How...intelligent??

I personally despise hyprocrites, if you want an intelligent debate then don't make comments on the person debating.

I think most of you missed Tiassa's points, and for heaven's sake, Tiassa is a MAN. Get that straight please.

When I have time, I'll jump into this debate, so far I just see an "atheist gangup."

And oh yea, you atheists think being negative will solve the problem of ignorance? You think being derogatory and nonchalant will help the theists you condemn?

Why do you think I dropped atheism?

Negativity rarely gets you anywhere.

Chosen. Before you bludgen me with my own mistakes, look at your own, read the many post between that entry and now and you will realize you are far behind. Once you've caught up, I'd be interested in what you had to say, as I'm sure everyone here would be.

Chosen:
Yes, make comments on the individual directly and not the idea. How...intelligent??

It's called a flamewar, sweetie pie.

For some reason, I find judgements on intelligence from a man who reads "how to get girls through hypnosis" to be.....a twee bit amusing.

I personally despise hyprocrites, if you want an intelligent debate then don't make comments on the person debating.

Or what? Your big brother will beat us up?

Is he cute?

I think most of you missed Tiassa's points, and for heaven's sake, Tiassa is a MAN. Get that straight please.

How do you know? Are you sleeping with him?

When I have time, I'll jump into this debate, so far I just see an "atheist gangup."

Oh wow! Chosen will reply! Oh dazzle us with your brillaince, great one!

And oh yea, you atheists think being negative will solve the problem of ignorance? You think being derogatory and nonchalant will help the theists you condemn?

Nope. They can take care of their own damn selves. I feel like insulting people! How they react is their own lookout - although I do hope they get pissy!

Why do you think I dropped atheism?

Why do you think anyone cares?

Negativity rarely gets you anywhere

Negativity has gotten me through 18 wonderful years of life, and shall get me through (HOPEFULLY!) another 72.

:(

I wanted Xev to reply to me... WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

Xev, please? Pretty please? With cherries and Uncle Pete on top?

Xev, you poor thing...

Originally posted by Xev
Chosen:

It's called a flamewar, sweetie pie.

For some reason, I find judgements on intelligence from a man who reads "how to get girls through hypnosis" to be.....a twee bit amusing.

Yes I am a MAN, but I rather term that as "seduce women."

Or what? Your big brother will beat us up?

Is he cute?

How do you know? Are you sleeping with him?

Oh wow! Chosen will reply! Oh dazzle us with your brillaince, great one!

Why don't you critically evaluate yourself Xev?

I'm sure you are the "brilliant" one with all those comments.

Nope. They can take care of their own damn selves. I feel like insulting people! How they react is their own lookout - although I do hope they get pissy!

Why do you think anyone cares?

Negativity has gotten me through 18 wonderful years of life, and shall get me through (HOPEFULLY!) another 72.

Sorry to say, but you sometimes post the most unessential things I have ever seen on sciforums.com.

Notme2000
Chosen. Before you bludgen me with my own mistakes, look at your own, read the many post between that entry and now and you will realize you are far behind. Once you've caught up, I'd be interested in what you had to say, as I'm sure everyone here would be.

Yes, I've quickly skim through the argument and I see what you mean. I'm glad that you recognize your mistakes as any honest and potentially open-minded person would.

Pride is usually a bad thing :)

I agree with you and you are an intelligent fellow. I just disagree about the generalizations that theists don't incorporate logic into the argument, I'm afraid you have been arguing with the wrong theists.

Reason is the path to enlightenment. Enjoy your stay at sciforums.com.

yew idit xev.

youre pose ovisley contreboots nathing to sigh forms.

the choghsin is write ind yew our rong sew gogh fock yersilf in hill ashoel.

tisass is ovisley write two becuass hes wonerful poina vew sew shat ip xev.

oh, aplaws four tisass ind choughsin ind are othur thesst hew difent gud neym of thessm. yeigh

:)

Chosen:
Yes I am a MAN,

I won't disabuse you of the notion

but I rather term that as "seduce women."

What, "You are getting sleeeepy, you are getting veeeery sleeeepy" ? :p

Why don't you critically evaluate yourself Xev?

Who says I haven't?

I'm sure you are the "brilliant" one with all those comments.

No, I'm just being pissy.

Sorry to say, but you sometimes post the most unessential things I have ever seen on sciforums.com.

*Sobs inconsolably*

GB:
I wanted Xev to reply to me... WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

Xev, please? Pretty please? With cherries and Uncle Pete on top?

Okay, I will. So far I was just watching the flames.

Xev!!! Of all people I am so glad to see you here. Some comic relief will do us all good.

Chosen, 'fraid you'll be seeing one atheist here who isn't all that pleased about the way this discussion is going.

Notme2000, you are giving us atheists all a bad BAD image and name. Shame on you, sir or ma'am whoever you happen to be. I prefer to keep an open mind, and realize that theists have a perfectly reasonable right to believe in what they believe in. Even if you think their beliefs are stupid, you have to put yourself on an equal level to debate properly. An opening assumption that the other person is mentally deranged and you are some psychiatrist out to "save" that person will not help (LOL, "saving" someone sounds kinda weird coming out of an atheist, but anyhow). It doesn't matter if that person believes in Christ, Allah, Amen-Ra, the God of Corn, Cthulu, or my ass. That person deserves to be respected.

GB...
yew idit xev.

youre pose ovisley contreboots nathing to sigh forms.

the choghsin is write ind yew our rong sew gogh fock yersilf in hill ashoel.

tisass is ovisley write two becuass hes wonerful poina vew sew shat ip xev.

oh, aplaws four tisass ind choughsin ind are othur thesst hew difent gud neym of thessm. yeigh

??? Please explain...I am too brain dead to decipher this right now...

List your grievances, GB-GIL, this is the place. Go on, be specific.

GB-GIL
Now, people wouldn't be so upset at you, Theists, if you were to say "many atheists" or "most atheists" or "the vast majority of atheists" instead of "atheists" and "the atheists".
Since you took such effort to quote the whole of my posts, perhaps you might pull out those occasions you find so objectionable? If ever there was a topic for discussing that aspect of it, this would be it.

Or are you upset about this part:
GIL: When generalizing to make a point (iMac users, named TIassa, &c.) it is best if you maintain a certain degree of consistency. My observations of atheists, while not uniformly applicable to atheists, find far better statistical correlation than your generalisms in response. I don't mind the tit-for-tat, but I do wish you would employ one of the many real and legitimate aspects available than simply reducing it further to a blast against me.
????

Since you choose to raise the issue, you might as well address it directly, eh?

thanx,

Re: List your grievances, GB-GIL, this is the place. Go on, be specific.

Hey, Theists, why not respond to my whole posts and all of them?

Back