• Yes, leaning towards lightly

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No.

Votes: 1 9.1%

• Total voters

GeoffP

Caput gerat lupinum
Valued Senior Member
A recent member here advanced the idea that Culture does not include religion. Is this so? To what extent and under what circumstances? I think that it does, largely, but I'm open to other interpretations.

Also, vote on the poll.

By definition, religion would be included in a culture as it represents part of the knowledge and values of a particular society at a particular place and time.

Of course, the adherents to a particular religion rarely if ever follow the doctrines but will stand and deliver those doctrines whenever it suits their agenda, but will certainly turn a blind eye whenever the dark side of religion rears it's ugly head.

So, it would appear that it's cultural to the society when it pleases.

I would say religion would be a culture of its own. As there are individuals that belong to one ethic group/culture that are not religous. Or at the very least a sub-culture of the main group.

I would say religion would be a culture of its own. As there are individuals that belong to one ethic group/culture that are not religous. Or at the very least a sub-culture of the main group.

Regardless if it is a "sub-culture" (I have reservations about that word) that sub-culture still exerts influence over it's host-culture and vice-versa.
No antropological or social exploration of could possibly be complete without an exporation of religion(s) of that culture.

A recent member here advanced the idea that Culture does not include religion. Is this so? To what extent and under what circumstances? I think that it does, largely, but I'm open to other interpretations.

Also, vote on the poll.

I think religion can and does span across cultures, so in that sense it's a separate entity. At the same time though, culture can be heavily influenced by religion.
I voted: "yes, partially".

Also, vote on the poll.

Many parts of culture exist in a variety of what we call separate cultures. Pottery, reggae, making jewelery out of shells, toasts at meals.......

Religion is not nature - at least, it not when one separates out natural things from cultural ones.

If it is not culture, what is it?

Regardless if it is a "sub-culture" (I have reservations about that word) that sub-culture still exerts influence over it's host-culture and vice-versa.
No antropological or social exploration of could possibly be complete without an exporation of religion(s) of that culture.

Perhaps it would be better said as a Sub set of Culutre rather than a subculture.

Very true.

Anyway, I don't actually have a definitive answer to this one, so I've decided to mindlessly agree with everyone writing in.

Which is a good idea, if you ask me. And I did.

A recent member here advanced the idea that Culture does not include religion. Is this so?
Religion is simply a way of giving form to spiritual principles...primarily the notion that consciousness is continuous in time, that thought and emotion can extend beyond the brain, and that moral choices have supernatural consequences.

As such, these principles are not only included in culture but actually define it.

As opposed to the chaos of transitory instincts that rule the animal world.

Back