Contradictions in the Nature of God

Nebula

Occasionally Frequent
Registered Senior Member
I just finished reading "The problem of evil" by Mackie. He says that:

1. God is omnipotent (can do anything)
2. God is omnibenevolent (is wholly good)

Therefore, God would do ANYTHING (since he can) to get rid of evil (because he's omnibenevolent). But evil does exist. How can this be explained?

To answer this, you have to deny either the existence of evil, God's omnipotence or his omnibenevolence, right? Even if you said something like "we need evil to make good" then even that would deny God's omnipotence.

My point is this: without factoring in premise #3 (the existence of evil) we can see a logical contradiction...

To say that God, according to his properties, CAN'T create evil, doesn't that deny his omnipotence? On the other hand, if you say God could create evil, wouldn't that be denying his omnibenevolence?

Is God limited by the very characteristics that define him as "Almighty?"

Also, why would evil exist?

-Kyle

Short answer, I hope ....

But evil does exist. How can this be explained?
The easiest reconciliation I can figure is that the difference 'twixt Good and Evil is wholly in God's mind. That is, we can say what we want about Evil, but at any given point, it is only humanity that finds something Evil. What it equals to God is still a question, although we might speculate, given the points at hand, that it equals "good". The question becomes "how". With enough variables in any equation, a solution can be postulated.

Not that I particularly like that answer, but as long as God is so huge and incomprehensible, it seems like the logical answer. Of course, few humans, even those of faith, would enjoy admitting that we are that without sensibility.

So when you ask yourself why God "allowed" that man to abduct, rape, and murder that child, remind yourself that, "It is good."

After a while, human values and conventions are insufficient to justify the state of existence, and one feels the urge to demand something better.

And, from that point of departure, I offer the following abstraction:
It is not necessary to understand; it is enough to adore.

The god may be of clay: adore him; he becomes GOD.

We ignore what created us; we adore what we create. Let us create nothing but GOD!

That which causes us to create is our true father and mother; we create in our own image, which is theirs.

Let us create therefore without fear; for we can create nothing that is not GOD.
• Perdurabo, The Blind Webster, Psalm 21

We cannot be satisfied with merely demanding a better way. We must go forth and create that better way. Let us create without fear.

thanx,
Tiassa :cool:

You mean the "God has a bigger plan" idea? That all evil is a part of his plan to equal more good?

I'm sorry tiassa, sometimes I have a hard time understanding some of your posts, my reading isn't that advanced ;) .

But if this is what you're saying, then Hitler killing 6m+ Jews in some way brought about a better good?

Also, what about the contradictions in the definition of God's characteristics?

Direct answers, I hope

You mean the "God has a bigger plan" idea? That all evil is a part of his plan to equal more good?
Yep. Like I said, it's the simplest idea.
I'm sorry tiassa, sometimes I have a hard time understanding some of your posts, my reading isn't that advanced
Oh, stop ... someday I'll figure out how to quantify the immeasurable stupidity I protest. In the meantime, that post isn't supposed to make a whole lot of sense. I find it nonsensical, but that's part of the point. And I'll let you know, honest, when I think it's your reading comprehension ;)
But if this is what you're saying, then Hitler killing 6m+ Jews in some way brought about a better good?
Yep.

Closest thing I can speculate is that humanity now has a data set by which it can examine such ideas. As events in Rwanda and in the Balkans showed, though, not everybody understands the idea. It might even be fair to say that nobody understands the idea, myself included.

But, yes. If God is what the Bible says, then it is by God's will that Hitler & Co. executed six million Jews, a bunch of Catholics, a bunch of Gypsies, and a gaggle of gays, among others. Likewise, the 20 million Russians who died in that war ... this, too, is good. (Somehow.)
Also, what about the contradictions in the definition of God's characteristics?
They probably arise from humans trying to quantify God's actions in order to qualify them. Religious books, no matter how divinely inspired, are still human creations, and reflect human limitations. Six million Jews? Well? Given God's history in association to the Jews, why not? God sells them to slavery, disperses them to exile, and sends them to exterminate His enemies for centuries-old grudges. Six million Jews? So God's stepping up production, so to speak.

It's all Good.

God is the Alpha and the Omega.

Like I said, it's the simplest reconciliation. A number of ideas splinter out from there. For some, denial and crusade. For others, myself included, we just shrug and say, "Okay." And in the meantime, we assert good against the nonsensical priorities of an ill-considered, poorly-conceived God writ in insufficient hand to be given to ages of battered intellects.

It is the simplest reconciliation.

That doesn't make it right. But it's the easier one to go with.

Specifically: Good and Evil are conditions which transcend human comprehension.

A Sufi story tells of an impatient man who went to a dervish for help with his problem. Ad nauseam, ad nauseam, and eventually the dervish sends the man to a mountain pass to offer food and rest to weary travelers. The man gains some fame for his mission, but one day a traveler ignores him entirely, and, offended, the impatient man shoots him in the back whereupon the voice of God or one of His agents tells the man that he has killed a murderer on the way to the most heinous crime of his career. Murder is bad, but the result is good. God made the man impatient, by the theology, and thus cannot change his impatience but merely exploit it to the Goodness of His Will.

Yeah, I know, it's dumb. But it's the simplest reconciliation. God knows what God is doing, and the rest of us can just bugger off.

Or something like that.

But if it seems absurd in its implications, well, you're not wrong.

Such is the nature of God.

Or ...

Such is life.

The end result is that if we're offended by an event in the world, we must figure out what good God intended by it. Sometimes that's an exercise in futility, but who here will argue that a situation is merely that which one immediately perceives?

No, it's not the best answer. It's probably not even a good answer, but think of why I like it: it makes discussion of God's actions useless, and eliminates the grounds of religious people to assert God's will, or God's opinion.

That I tend to call that condition progressive is symptomatic, but make of it what you will.

thanx,

The only problem with that is that it again denies God's omnipotence. If he needs to allow for first-order evils to bring about a second-order, that would mean he is NOT omnipotent, otherwise he would have just created the second-order good himself.

And I'll let you know, honest, when I think it's your reading comprehension

:cool:

-Kyle

au contraire, mon amics

I'm sure that if God did not permit people to do evil, we would all be trapped in our own bodies, like robots, unable to rebel against the tyranny called 'good' enforced upon us - forced acceptance can't be called acceptance!

Since Satan rebelled against God he has tried to overthrow God's kingdom, and therefore His creation (that's us). Since the Bible describes Satan as a prowling lion always on the lookout to pervert what is good (1 Peter 5:8), and that Paul says somewhere that when people persist in defying God, they can be "given over to sin" in order that they may learn for themselves the consequences of sin.

The way I see it (and it's a limited metaphor), is that evil rains like fire from the sky, burning people wherever possible, while God acts like a 'fireproof umbrella', and teaches a 'fireproofing way of life', but doesn't demand that we accept that way of life or stay under his protection. Like a father who'd like to teach his son what is right and wrong, but not be overprotective (we know what that does to children), he does not remove the exposure to real life - where bad things happen all the time. He wants people to be equipped to handle life, and he provides a Bible that doesn't just tell an unbelievable tale that shows only the perfect side of everything, but one that reflects the human condition - including wars and ambiguities - so that we can associate with it and learn from it - it doesn't teach perfection, but is concerned with salvation. People have a lot to say about the fallibility and inconsistencies of the Bible, but they ignore the purpose of the book.

And concerning Hitler - he didn't only suppress Jews, of course, but everything he didn't like. It wasn't a holy war, it was a world war. If anybody had reason not to believe in God it would be the Jews - but Judaism still exists, they knew their faith would be tested. Ask any Jew if Hitler caused him to stop believing in God.

Christians aren't exempt from evil just because they believe in an omnipotent omniscient God, they are actually more exposed and vulnerable. Temptation and accusation are Satan's most effective tools. Pain and hurt passes, but what it passes over and what it passes to, can be changed.

IMHO - I welcome commentary and criticism, because I am always fine-tuning...

Last edited:
Hmmmm, I got a question...

If God is 'all-powerful'....how does satan have any power over man? I mean, if he really wanted, couldn't god just do away with satan if he truly is all-powerful?

Anyway, Kyle, what Tiassa is saying in much longer form is that good/evil as we see it are subjective. The problem is, in the Bible God clearly lays out what is good and what is evil and called it the word of god.

"And concerning Hitler - he didn't only suppress Jews, of course, but everything he didn't like. It wasn't
a holy war, it was a world war. If anybody had reason not to believe in God it would be the Jews - but
Judaism still exists, they knew their faith would be tested. Ask any Jew if Hitler caused him to stop
believing in God."

Many Jews lost their faith during the concentration camps, actually. After all, what God would allow a repeat of everything he supposedly saved his people from?

Originally posted by Nebula
Re: Contradictions in the Nature of God
quote:

Originally posted by Nebula

Therefore, God would do ANYTHING (since he can) to get rid of evil (because he's omnibenevolent). But evil does exist. How can this be explained?

Why would He? It is your life to do with as you will. If He stops evil in mens hearts, then He violates is own Laws, they would not be able to develop, to come to the platform of God-consciousness, they would be pure animals and not human, which would be pretty pointless. He wants us to stop "evil" in our hearts of our own free will. This is the point of humanity.

To answer this, you have to deny either the existence of evil, God's omnipotence or his omnibenevolence, right?

What do you think evil is?
In order to deny Gods omnipotence or His omnibenevolence, we must have some understanding of what it is, (wouldn't you agree?) otherwise denial, on our part is just wasted energy, and precious time.
What do you understand, Gods omnipotence omni benevolence to be?

To say that God, according to his properties, CAN'T create evil,

Which definition of "evil" describes it as something tangible, or separate, so that it can be created? Evil is always described as an act, a harmfull intention. An inanimate object cannot be evil, as it cannot think or act.

Is God limited by the very characteristics that define him as "Almighty?"

Even if you do not believe in God, His Character is always described as “Unlimited”. If He was in anyway limited, He would not be God.

Also, why would evil exist?

Due to unsatiated desire, we become angry and envious, which develops lust. Lust is the cause of all transgressitary acts.

Lust sinful longing; the inward sin which leads to the falling away from God (Rom. 1:21). "Lust, the origin of sin, has its place in the heart, not of necessity, but because it is the centre of all moral forces and impulses and of spiritual activity." In Mark 4:19 "lusts" are objects of desire.

Love

Jan Ardena.

Re: Direct answers, I hope

Originally posted by tiassa
But, yes. If God is what the Bible says, then it is by God's will that Hitler & Co. executed six million Jews, a bunch of Catholics, a bunch of Gypsies, and a gaggle of gays, among others. Likewise, the 20 million Russians who died in that war ... this, too, is good. (Somehow.)They probably arise from humans trying to quantify God's actions in order to qualify them. Religious books, no matter how divinely inspired, are still human creations, and reflect human limitations. Six million Jews? Well? Given God's history in association to the Jews, why not? God sells them to slavery, disperses them to exile, and sends them to exterminate His enemies for centuries-old grudges. Six million Jews? So God's stepping up production, so to speak.

It's all Good.

So by saying this then you don't blame or hate any of the Al-Qaeda members who killed all the innocent people on 9/11. Instead you see it as Gods' will. If it's Gods will you don't mind if all those people died.

If God creates these events then he hasn't given us free will. Free will to love, befriend or kill. All this is an illusion.

*Originally posted by Nebula

Actually, those statements are contradictory.
Either you can do anything, including evil, OR you can only do good.
In addition, both of those descriptions are anthropocentric, and thus do not apply to God.

1. There is at least one thing God cannot do.

In hope of eternal life, which God, that cannot lie, promised before the world began;
(Titus 1:2, KJV).

2. Who said he was omnibenevolent?

Hear, O earth: behold, I will bring evil upon this people, even the fruit of their thoughts, because they have not hearkened unto my words, nor to my law, but rejected it.
(Jeremiah 6:19, KJV).

*Originally posted by tiassa
In the meantime, that post isn't supposed to make a whole lot of sense. I find it nonsensical, but that's part of the point.

That's what I've been saying about all of your posts.
But thanks for finally admitting it.

*No, it's not the best answer. It's probably not even a good answer...*

Glad to see your finally seeing your own posts from my perspective.

*Originally posted by Jenyar
Since Satan rebelled against God he has tried to overthrow God's kingdom,...

Who says he rebelled?

Ye are of your father the devil, and the lusts of your father ye will do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and abode not in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaketh a lie, he speaketh of his own: for he is a liar, and the father of it.
(John 8:44, KJV).

Desert Rat

So by saying this then you don't blame or hate any of the Al-Qaeda members who killed all the innocent people on 9/11. Instead you see it as Gods' will. If it's Gods will you don't mind if all those people died.
Well, that would be correct--and here I point to my own post as you have cited it--If God is what the Bible says.

If, if, if ....

It's among the problems I have with that version of God.
If God creates these events then he hasn't given us free will. Free will to love, befriend or kill. All this is an illusion.
Bearing in mind, once again, the big huge conditional if ... well, that's my take on it.

thanx,

If ... then...

How useful of you to highlight the "if."

That is the point, after all.

If you do well, shalt you not be accepted? and if you do not well, sin lies at the door....
(Genesis 4:7, KJV).

Interesting point.

Maybe Religion itself is evil. Look at what so many people do in the name of religion. Many people who claim to be religous, are close minded and try to force thier beliefs on you. They may not be directly hurting you or killing anyone, but they are influencing people everyday. Maybe this is how evil works. It tricks you into believing and living accourding to its false teachings so that people are too "faithful" to see the truth or to search for the truth. The religion itself scares you into believing. They teach that If you dont believe your going to burn in hell. The religion teaches people from day one that anything you hear that disproves the religion or goes against its teachings is evil and that they are wrong. And that The devil is just trying to get you on his side.

Maybe we already are on his side....

Wars are waged, and people are killed. All in the name of religion.

pretty much how I see it Vanye.

One reason I dislike Christianity is because it was forced upon me at a young age. I was christened at the age of two. At school, both primary and secondry, we had to sit in assemblies and listen to it all. Where was the choice I was given? This only made me dislike it more and wish I hadn't been christened.

I think all kids at a young age should be informed of the different religions and make their own mind up regardless of their parents religion.

Vayne: The Bible warns against religious fanatacism (like the Farisees). People who give "religion" a higher authority than God are just as dangerous as people like David Koresh. In truth Christianity advocates respect to authority ("give the state what the state deseves") and does not strive to become a political institution. People have these aspirations, but they hide behind 'religious righteusness' - the reason Britain, France etc. gave for colonialism.

DeSeRt RaT: Are you aware of what christening means? Why would you want to make an 'informed choice' about religion? If you look at religion simply as fulfilling some spiritual gap, no religion will offer enough anyway. The purpose of religion is to look for God, and get to know Him, not to represent God - as I said, religion can itself be an idol.

Keep in mind that the God of Chrisitanity is a living God, who can change His mind and make decisions based on what is happening. His plan is not to rule people's actions, but to be the God of them.

Here's an exercise in religious objectivity: Should Clinton do with Iraq what the Taliban did to America? After all - both acts can be justified as terrorism against terrorism.

All murder is, for lack of a better word, evil. There is no excuse to harm another human being save perhaps in direct defense of oneself or others. Retaliation against an organazition when the actual murderers are already dead is infantile and useless. The US government is filled with fools and I can only hope that they are not reelected and that level-headedness will prevail. Life is the only sacred thing, there is no after-life, so to steal from a person their one chance of living is the greatest evil. All Governments are lesser evils in my view, the whole idea of countries and borders is just one more excuse for the rich to become richer. If their were no countries and no armies and no governments the world would be a better place, everyone would go about their own business and live their lives. The world would be a better place if all peoples rose up against their oppressors, state and religious as well. No Gods, No Masters.

Originally posted by Jenyar
The purpose of religion is to look for God, and get to know Him, not to represent God - as I said, religion can itself be an idol.

Not all religions are about finding 'God'. Not all religions even believe in God.

Here's an exercise in religious objectivity: Should Clinton do with Iraq what the Taliban did to America? After all - both acts can be justified as terrorism against terrorism.

It's Bush not clinton, Al-Qaeda not Taliban :)

If we do attack Iraq then that will be Gods' will after all isn't it? If it's Gods' will then we shall accept it? If it's man's free will, will we reject it? How can differentuate between free will of man and Gods' will? How do you know which is which?

Apologies

I was a bit absend-minded as usual - I meant Bush, but I'm sure Al-Qaeda is associated with the Taliban.

Anyway. If you justify anything that you do as being God's will, because He supposedly predetermines everything, you are speaking about a dead god, which is not the one I'm talking about. The idea that God has "winded up the clock" and is now just letting it run down is antiquated. The only way in finding out God's will is asking and getting to know him. He doesn't impose His will on people (otherwise, as a few people in this forum rightly remarked, we would all be saints). Sometimes God makes things happen, and sometimes He just knows what will happen.

People aren't stupid or helpless - we can accept some responsibility for ouselves instead of just blaming or abdicating everything to a God we aren't prepared to follow anyway. I'm certain God doesn't want fanatacism, but responsibility.

I know Buddhism and a few other oriental religions like Hinduism don't 'believe in God', but they all have some belief about God. Whether He is there to be communed with or not, is after all a religious stance...

As you seem to have 'spoken to God', tell me some of the things that have been his will over the last decade as opposed to mans' free will.

Back