Consistent or Delimited Agnosticism

Exactly. Hence my argument against agnosticism because of the extremely unlikely chance of an exactly 50% probability in the existence of god.
Most agnostics don't see it as 50/50. I'm agnostic, simply because I don't claim God does not exist. I claim God probably doesn't exist. This is all it takes to be agnostic. Being atheist is just as illogical as being theist. They think they 'know' something. By "consequence" as CA puts it, CA is more likely right in his beliefs than Whatsupyall, lol. But the point is, is that they don't KNOW, they only think they know. When you admit you don't know for certain, you become agnostic.

I don't think that some people comprehend the Ultra-extreme improbability of temselves even existing atall. Yet we do exist.
Now try to comprehend the Ultra-extreme improbability that the world should be the way it is.

The probabilities are almost irrelavant to any arguement in any direction if you think about it in this way.

The burden of proof falls upon he/she who asserts the positive, it’s scientifically logical to deny something that hasn’t been PROVEN to exit.

Last edited:
I claim God probably doesn't exist
You are a weak atheist.

When you admit you don't know for certain, you become agnostic.
Nope. 'For certain' has nothing to do with it. It is a common misinterpretation of agnosticism. If you think god probably does not exist, you have a belief he does not. You are atheist. An agnostic could not claim any sort of probability one way or the other.

Originally posted by Hannibal
..., it’s scientifically logical to deny something that hasn’t been PROVEN exits.
What utter nonsense! Having yet to confirm the presence of microfossils on Mars, would you consider it "scientifically logical" (whatever that might mean) to deny such a possibility?

Originally posted by notme2000
Most agnostics don't see it as 50/50. I'm agnostic, simply because I don't claim God does not exist. I claim God probably doesn't exist. This is all it takes to be agnostic. Being atheist is just as illogical as being theist. They think they 'know' something. By "consequence" as CA puts it, CA is more likely right in his beliefs than Whatsupyall, lol. But the point is, is that they don't KNOW, they only think they know. When you admit you don't know for certain, you become agnostic.

I would say CA's 'beliefs' are exactly logical. I personally think it unreasonable to be exactly logical, but it's a matter of taste really.

Originally posted by fadingCaptain
You are a weak atheist.

Nope. 'For certain' has nothing to do with it. It is a common misinterpretation of agnosticism. If you think god probably does not exist, you have a belief he does not. You are atheist. An agnostic could not claim any sort of probability one way or the other.

:bugeye: I thought I already straightened you out in another thread!

Still at it eh? *giggle* Okay then.

Oh crap? Was that this thread? I can't keep track.

:)

Originally posted by ConsequentAtheist
What utter nonsense! Having yet to confirm the presence of microfossils on Mars, would you consider it "scientifically logical" (whatever that might mean) to deny such a possibility?

Yes, yes I would.

My mild preference is to defend what I've said, rather than what you assert that I've said.
There IS personality buried in there somewhere. ;)
I am an atheist as a consequence of the ongoing success of methodological naturalism:
  • I do not believe in God(s).
  • I believe that God(s) do not exist.
  • I assert that the belief in God(s) is unwarranted.
As for the probability of God, neither the work of Shroedinger nor the work of Lewis Carroll render the question meaningful in my opinion.
And if the question is meaningless probability is pointless, thusly my "argumentum ad ignorantiam"?
Please understand that I am not at all dismissing you. You make claims that are beyond the scope of science.
I think I see your point and it's quite good of course. You mean that since there is no way to apply logic to the hypothetical unicorn farts event, it just gets discarded as an invalid target for logical analysis? Is that correct?

Originally posted by moonman
I don't think that some people comprehend the Ultra-extreme improbability of temselves even existing atall. Yet we do exist.
Now try to comprehend the Ultra-extreme improbability that the world should be the way it is.

The probabilities are almost irrelavant to any arguement in any direction if you think about it in this way.

Probability has nothing to do with what already exists.

Oh, and if you must, then the probability of the world being the way that it is, is 100%.

Originally posted by Hannibal
Yes, yes I would.

Don't you think that's a little short-sighted? How can you advance science if you say that everything that isn't yet proven is false? Kind of limiting don't you think?

Originally posted by wesmorris
I would say CA's 'beliefs' are exactly logical. I personally think it unreasonable to be exactly logical, but it's a matter of taste really.
Actually, I would argue that logical possibility is insufficient warrant for belief. To the best of my knowledge, there is absolutely nothing logically impossible about unicorns.

And if the question is meaningless probability is pointless, thusly my "argumentum ad ignorantiam"?
I believe what I said was: "I can think of extremely few phrases that I hold in greater contempt. It is the universal prelude to an argument from ignorance." I honestly do not recall criticizing you for employing such a fallacy.

I believe what I said was: "I can think of extremely few phrases that I hold in greater contempt. It is the universal prelude to an argument from ignorance." I honestly do not recall criticizing you for employing such a fallacy.

What you said was:

"At the same time, while I am more that pleased to leave you in the good graces of Lewis Carroll, you might wish to consider whether or not your 'agnosticism' is simple a place-holder for some future argumentum ad ignorantiam."

I thought you were implying that my end of the current debate was as my future argumentum ad ignorantiam would be. I see that was presumptuous on my part. Pardon.

Actually, I would argue that logical possibility is insufficient warrant for belief. To the best of my knowledge, there is absolutely nothing logically impossible about unicorns.

I hope to someday be able to communicate as succinctly as you. What I was trying to say that in my opinion your part of the argument and/or any conclusions you've made apparent here seem to me to be exactly logical.

I hope to someday be able to communicate as succinctly as you.
Quite the contrary. I find your communication to be entirely clear. I simply do not know how to continue a rational discussion with someone who accepts the possibility of square circles.

Quite the contrary. I find your communication to be entirely clear. I simply do not know how to continue a rational discussion with someone who accepts the possibility of square circles.

Actually, maybe I shouldn't. I do however mostly as a statement as to my position regarding my agnosticism. I'll list a few reasons why I think this is reasonable, though illogical. Please, it would do me a great service if you could point out specific reasons why I shouldn't. If there is no, "why I shouldn't" then if you could provide "why you think I shouldn't" I would genuinley appreciate it. Here they are:

1) Someone could redefine things: circle is a square is a circle. I might not know they did it, so they'll be right when they insist that "that circle is square" but we're not speaking the same language. This I tried to infer before but I presumed you deemd it illogical and disregarded it.

2) Someone could have a problem with their perception such that they cannot percieve the difference between a square and a circle.

3) Maybe a blind person "sees" geometry in a way that I cannot fathom.

4) Maybe you see geometry in a way that I cannot fathom.

5) Maybe it's that I've never really understood what a circle IS, but I've always THOUGHT that I have.

5.5) Maybe pink elephants are unicorn haters (just wanted to squeeze that in somewhere.

6) Maybe a set could be devised such that this seeming paradox is allowable.

7) I've always wondered if parodox is perfectly logical, it's just uncomfortable. For instance if logic leads you to paradox, is that paradox not perfectly logical? Is that the point at which reason and logic separate?

I'll stop. I think they are all similar in that "I do not know my knowledge of the square and circle to be complete, therefore I cannot say with absolute certainty that one is not the other, except in my interpretation thereof". I believe that is the best that I've been able to summarized my agnosticism to date.

I hate to seem like a grovelling student, but I'm most curious as to your response. Again I do appreciate your time and consideration.

Last edited:
Maybe it is as simple as this for me "I must put my own knowledge and beliefs, etc. under the same scrutiny that I put the world I think I'm in." I suppose my prior post and entire structure of reasoning is based on this. Have I erred in application of this premise?

Back