Confession

Lone_Desperado

Registered Member
What is the point in confessing my sins to a mere mortal? I mean God is all knowing and all powerful (if you believe in that kind of stuff), so why logically do I need to tell a man/woman my sins when they are just as sinful?

It is not a matter of God or no God, rather the premise behind the whole confession thing.

*I do not believe nor deny there is a God, just skeptical of the belief system behind it.

What is the point in confessing my sins to a mere mortal? I mean God is all knowing and all powerful (if you believe in that kind of stuff), so why logically do I need to tell a man/woman my sins when they are just as sinful?

They idea is that it's feels good to get it off your chest.. i guess.

Getting something off your chest could mean many things. Why would one think they have to do anything more than try to resolve it inside their own minds for they are the ones that made their problems and therefore they should be the ones to resolve them.

No one is mortal, and no one escapes death, but that's besides the point. Why does being a "mere mortal" automatically make you a sinner? Is God's creation fatally flawed all the time?

I do not think God's creation is flawed all the time, but we are flawed through original sin, and if you accept the church's law, then a lot of what we do is a sin in the eye of the Lord.

It only matters what you think. You are the only one that has to live with yourself.

My apologies, my question was not one of personal matters, just a general question on the whole matter. I agree with what you say spidergoat, it should only matter what the individual thinks, unfortunately the church feels it necessary that a priest needs to be involved.

Well if you are a follower of The God of Abraham and He tells you to confess your sins to each other than as a follower you do it. You do not really need to understand God's thinking behind His directions do you?

Now you can come to the opinion that if you tell someone about your sin they can pray for you and give you moral support and guidance. But that might not be the main reason why The God of Abraham asks His followers to tell other Followers about their sins.

Yes God is all-powerful and one can talk to Him about ones sins as well. But irrespective of wether you talk to God or not He still wants us to talk to other followers about our sin.

All Praise The Ancient Of Days

My apologies, my question was not one of personal matters, just a general question on the whole matter. I agree with what you say spidergoat, it should only matter what the individual thinks, unfortunately the church feels it necessary that a priest needs to be involved.

Now this is a different issue.

What the church thinks (and you are refering to the catholic church i assume) and what God thinks are not nessecaraly in alignment.

No where in the bible does it say that one must confess their sins only to a priest and no where does it say in the bible that forgivness of sin is gained from confession of those sins to any human being.

All Praise The Ancient Of Days

I thought it was made up by the Catholic church for power/money reasons.

Getting something off your chest could mean many things. Why would one think they have to do anything more than try to resolve it inside their own minds for they are the ones that made their problems and therefore they should be the ones to resolve them.
M*W: As a former catholic, I questioned the sacrament of confession to a mortal man i.e. priest. It never made sense to me. I felt that whatever sins I had committed, I could deal directly with god (not Jesus) for any atonement I may have needed.

But while I was a practicing catholic, the Church moved toward getting away from the confessional booth to a more open and personal confession of sins face-to-face. They then called it the Sacrament of Reconciliation. That made more sense to me. Instead of focusing on the negative, that ritual (practice) focused more on the positive aspect of sinfulness. Still, I wasn't satisfied. If this all-powerful god they preached about needed a mortal man to do its work, I lost faith in the system of forgiveness of sin. It just didn't make any sense to me. I've even attended the Sacrament of Reconciliation where a nun was the confessor. Don't ask me why, but I guess I came from a very progressive RCC. Even then, from my previous teachings, women could not perform these sacraments, so I questioned the legitimacy of their wishy-washy doctrine.

The aim of the Sacrament of Reconciliation (an upgrade of the Sacrament of Confession) was to focus on getting right with god rather than just dwelling on the bad things we had done. I could accept that, but now, as an atheist, I understand the whole point of Confession and Reconciliation was to make us aware (and accept responsibility) for our own actions and how that might affect our selves, family and each other, and bottom-line, the Holy Mother, the Church.

It doesn't matter if the "sin" is murder, rape, or stealing a parking space. What it boils down to is an infringement or act of inhospitality to our fellow man (see the story of S&G), we negatively impact ourselves and the rest of the human race. I am speaking about this from an atheist viewpoint. There is no god in heaven to judge us, but we will always be able to judge our own actions. The problem lies in that we need to recognize the infractions we've done to the cumulative body and psyche of humankind. No church, no sacrament, no mortal human, is required for this enlightenment. When we recognize our short comings and failures against our neighbors, we can move on to heal the situation. No "Hail Mary"'s and no "Our Fathers" can free one's soul from sin. Just recognizing one's actions and taking responsibility for them is all we need to know that we have become unleashed from the burden we've caused ourselves.

Even as an atheist, forgiveness in one's heart is all that is needed to free one's mind from his own negative actions toward himself and others. No god need apply for this job.

For the same reason people go into therapy: to get affirmation from another that whatever they have done is OK (or will be OK if they just do x,y, or z). Therapy is probably a more effective way of dealing with guilt & shame because it doesn't come with as much baggage that in turn creates more guilt & shame (the way religion often does).

The sacrament of confession is nothing but the "Catholic Church´s" lucrative approach to telling the truth; this is also how priests "get off".

Well if you are a follower of The God of Abraham and He tells you to confess your sins to each other than as a follower you do it. You do not really need to understand God's thinking behind His directions do you?
All praise the slave-master giving commands to his unswerving, mindless minions. ;)

I thought it was made up by the Catholic church for power/money reasons.

Well you sit in a wooden box, telling dirty stories to a man who isn't supposed to have sex.... kind of makes you think it's all a load of bollocks really doesn't it?
:p

Didn't you used to have to pay for confession? Dispensation?? (and I'm talking centuries ago)

Back