Come and attack Christian belief please.

Thoughts

/Not necessarily, there are many unanswered questions in the realm of science.

That you relate this to the subject matter is nearly requisite of your position eh? Interesting. You see, this isn't at all pertinent. Science accounts for its conjecture, whereas religion requires denial thereof.

/One of the most pertinent is; "Where did it all come from?".

Science progresses ever deeper into the unknown, carving from it: comprehension. At this time, science offers a multitude of variants on several major hypothesis as to "where it all came from", but does not settle on one as an answer.

/Yet scientists still continue with the scientific method - they still have their faith in science.

Faith in reason is all that is required. From that, it is reasonable to assume it possible discern what is and is not real based on our input. The amount of faith required is that to believe the previous statement. If you find it an unreasonable assumption, you can reject it. It can be rejected if necessary, but the assumption of the validity of reason is necessary for survival. Of course that statement is based on the assumption of the validity of reason, which demonstrates the inherent difficulty incurred if you abandon it.

/Our whole existence is built on faith, observation, and science.

Interesting perspective. I don't know if the fact that it is three words means that 'what our whole existence is about" is evenly distributed across those words.

/According to you, this is all hollow.

He didn't say that really did he? I thought he basically said religion is hollow because it abandons reason for faith in baseless and complicated solutions. Believe in god is almost understandable from the perspective you present below, but adding a religion to that belief is IMO, hopeless abandonment of all good sense. If you don't require things to make sense however, you will necessarily be diametrically opposed to my position.

/Non-existent existence.

You are born, you live, you die. While you live little more can be said. While you live, to say much more to ask for the warm blanket.

/Ahhh, but why not add the middle man?

Because apparently he comes with strings attached. The mafia comes to mind.

/It may take us closer yet.

It hands you a warm blanket (sorry I liked the term so have apparently temporarily attached to it) in which you wrap yourself. I don't see anything wrong with that as long as you can admit it. The agnostic's blanket is not so warm unless heated by the strength of their character.

/Isn't that how the concept of infinity arose?

But infinity is only purported as an abstract whereas your middleman steals the show.

/Isn't that how problems are solved in human situations? In math especially. If you have a problem with something; invent!

If you have a problem with something, solve it. That doesn't mean make something up and say it has to be true. Can you see the difference?

/That's how 'what's his name' came up with the concept of the neutrino, that's how Hawking came up with virtual particles.

Sure, and then guys devised experiments for particle accelorators to detect the particles etc. Note that the model of the atom is referred to as "the standard model". MODEL. You know?

/That's why there's dark matter and dark energy. You see a hole, you plug it.

Okay so if I ask "where did it all come from" (the most general question I can imagine, rather than jack around I should just jump to "it was this one thing and it did it and it says I should worship it"? Religions require this.

/You just have to invent a plug which is the right shape, size, and composition.:D

Perhaps your answer is simply invalid for the context of the question? You ask the most general possible question, provide the most general possible answer and insist that you must have faith in it as the source of all, or that it somehow requires faith of you in some weird contract or something? It's okay to snuggle in your blanky damnit. I would hope you to know this is what you are doing such that you do not insist more than emotional gratification to justify your unreasonable beliefs - as to do so puts you at odds with good sense..

/For example; the origin of existence.

What if you insist on answers that can only be fabricated, which don't in fact exist at all other than in that fabrication?

/In fact, it is beginning to seem that you cannot avoid complexity.

In what manner?

Can you accept the possibilty of a limitation to "that which can be known"? What if the following is true:

Anything that happened prior to the event that lead to existence cannot be known... this is the opportunity cost for existing. To exist, you cannot know what it is like not to exist, though you can attempt to project it.

Last edited:
Contradiction #1
Who incited David to count the fighting men of Israel? (a) God did (2 Samuel 24:1) (b) Satan did (1 Chronicles 21:1).

Contradiction #2
In that count how many fighting men were found in Israel? (a) Eight hundred thousand (2 Samuel 24:9). (b) One million, one hundred thousand (1 Chronicles 21:5).

Contradiction #3
How many fighting men were found in Judah? (a) Five hundred thousand (2 Samuel 24:9). (b) Four hundred and seventy thousand (1 Chronicles 21:5).

Contradiction #4
God sent his prophet to threaten David with how many years of famine? (a) Seven (2 Samuel 24:13). (b) Three (1 Chronicles 21:12).

Contradiction #5
How old was Ahaziah when he began to rule over Jerusalem? (a) Twenty-two (2 Kings 8:26). (b) Forty-two (2 Chronicles 22:2).

Contradiction #6
How old was Jehoiachin when he became king of Jerusalem? (a) Eighteen (2 Kings 24:8). (b) Eight (2 Chronicles 36:9).

Contradiction #7
How long did he rule over Jerusalem? (a) Three months (2 Kings 24:8). (b) Three months and ten days (2 Chronicles 36:9).

Contradiction #8
The chief of the mighty men of David lifted up his spear and killed how many men at one time? (a) Eight hundred (2 Samuel 23:8). (b) Three hundred (1 Chronicles 11:11).

Contradiction #9
When did David bring the Ark of the Covenant to Jerusalem? Before defeating the Philistines or after? (a) After (2 Samuel 5 and 6). (b) Before (1 Chronicles 13 and 14).

Contradiction #10
How many pairs of clean animals did God tell Noah to take into the Ark? (a) Two (Genesis 6:19, 20). (b) Seven (Genesis 7:2). But despite this last instruction only two pairs went into the ark (Genesis 7:8, 9).

Contradiction #11
When David defeated the King of Zobah, how many horsemen did he capture? (a) One thousand and seven hundred (2 Samuel 8:4). (b) Seven thousand (1 Chronicles 18:4).

Contradiction #12
How many stalls for horses did Solomon have? (a) Forty thousand (1 Kings 4:26). (b) Four thousand (2 chronicles 9:25).

Contradiction #13
In what year of King Asa's reign did Baasha, King of Israel die? (a) Twenty-sixth year (1 Kings 15:33 - 16:8). (b) Still alive in the thirty-sixth year (2 Chronicles 16:1).

Contradiction #14
How many overseers did Solomon appoint for the work of building the temple? (a) Three thousand six hundred (2 Chronicles 2:2) (b) Three thousand three hundred (1 Kings 5:16).

Contradiction #15
Solomon built a facility containing how many baths? (a) Two thousand (1 Kings 7:26). (b) Over three thousand (2 Chronicles 4:5).

Contradiction #16
Of the Israelites who were freed from the Babylonian captivity, how many were the children of Pahrath-Moab? (a) Two thousand eight hundred and twelve (Ezra 2:6). (b) Two thousand eight hundred and eighteen (Nehemiah 7:11).

Contradiction #17
How many were the children of Zattu? (a) Nine hundred and forty-five (Ezra 2:8) (b) Eight hundred and forty-five (Nehemiah 7:13).

Contradiction #18
How many were the children of Azgad? (a) One thousand two hundred and twenty-two (Ezra 2:12). (b) Two thousand three hundred and twenty-two (Nehemiah 7:17). Contradiction #19
How many were the children of Adin? (a) Four hundred and fifty-four (Ezra 2:15). (b) Six hundred and fifty-five (Nehemiah 7:20).

Contradiction #20
How many were the children of Hashum? (a) Two hundred and twenty-three (Ezra 2:19). (b) Three hundred and twenty-eight (Nehemiah 7:22).

WESS M. WROTE:

"The agnostic's blanket is not so warm unless heated by the strength of their character."

This would be said only by an agnostic, which should mean that you are gualified to elaborate, because as of right now there are many who would say "Baloney~ Of course, you know this, right?

PMT

Originally posted by P. M. Thorne
WESS M. WROTE:

"The agnostic's blanket is not so warm unless heated by the strength of their character."

This would be said only by an agnostic, which should mean that you are gualified to elaborate, because as of right now there are many who would say "Baloney~ Of course, you know this, right?

PMT

Good point. I wasn't very clear there and that sounded kidn of jacked up. Pardon.

What I meant is that IMO, it takes significant will and ability to forgo the warm fuzzy offered by the spiritual pharmacists. I have supported this scenario somewhere recently. I don't remember which thread though. Hmm..

Basically, I think it takes a lot of strength to keep asking quesitons, or to accept that some quesitons that the majority of the planet tells you have answers - might not. Going against the grain takes a lot of strength IMO.

Paraphrasing another Einstein quote:

"It is a sign of genius to change ones mind about a major issue ever so often".

Bendable trees, or dead sticks....

Okay, buddy Mac, but I strive not to be a genius, just real will pacify me.

WES: Your complexity is refreshing. You bend. There is a saying in Taos, I think, and I do not have time to look it up, because we are going out to eat.

Anyway, it says something about our becoming unbendable, and when we cease to bend, we break. Boy, I may have this all mixed up, but it had something to do with becoming as a little child insomuch as they are willing to learn, and sometimes learning takes bending. Some of that may be my own words. I know I used it at least once.

You are oh so right about bucking the religious world, because the bucking is so misunderstood, and it truly does take resolve, and a hunger for something real, if what one has seems unreal. And even aside from that, if one has never been affiliated with church, they too get those sidewise glances, but are not so inclined to retaliate, do you think?

We doubt because we care, and doubting does not mean that one has abandoned thinking, or caring about truth.

But! you know what makes my heart hurt? I am sure you do, because you are very perceptive. It is when those who are not comfortable in a belief cannot seem to get away from it without hating someone.

I have cause, Wes, God knows. When I lost my son, I decided it was time to be real, and that was the beginning of my fight, then when I read Spinoza's comments (Preface in his first Work), about Christendom in his time, my God, it was so much like now.

As I told Canute on another thread, it was like the philosopher validated my rebellion, and it gave the courage to mix my unbelievable tolerance with some mile gusto, like "I disagree." That simple phrase caused big eyes and horror. So, do not think that I fail to appreciate how you feel. I do, brother. But, I do not appreciate being called weak minded, and numerous other names, because I believe in God, but I can live with it, if I must!

My battle was not with God, or even with the Christians really, it was with me. I needed to allow myself the courtesies that I allowed others, or something like that.

Sorry to call you on that, but it did seem a bit pompous. You defended yourself well. We must each be true to ourselves. That is where freedom lies. Doncha' think? Is it okay if I say, God bless? That was nice of you, really.

PMT

I guess it's all about evolution, and allowing evolution to evolve.

Ideas, beliefs, knowlege, abilities etc all evolve and i suppose the less ridgid we are the easier the evolution can take place.

The phyilosphy of being able to bend a little or alot is very true.

Flexability and resilience are key attributes that we all struggle with.

Rigidity will cause a breakdown and yet being too flexible will achieve a loss of direction.

But one thing is for sure evolution will occur it's just a matter of how hard or easy we make it.

My condolences PMT

Re: Thoughts

Originally posted by wesmorris
Science accounts for its conjecture, whereas religion requires denial thereof.
Hello, again, Sir Morris, the avid rationalist. Hmm, I think we all need to break free of the stereotypical 'religion', and better yet 'religion vs. science'. I'm sure the 'religion' which your refer to does not apply to my belief. I prefer the term belief. Because it all occupies one full spectrum, as everything else - so far. With that, sure, the 'religion' you speak of may require denial. However, I am a bit unclear on what conjecture science accounts for and that which 'religion' denies, as you stated it. Any examples?
Science progresses ever deeper into the unknown, carving from it: comprehension.
I fully agree with the term "carving". You create your sculpture exactly the way you want it. Say it's a human form; then you can start saying the hand is connected to the shoulder and the head sits on the shoulder... etc, just like you say the proton is made of quarks and the nucleus is made of protons. But would they be there if you didn't 'carve' them out in the first place? Get me?
At this time, science offers a multitude of variants on several major hypothesis as to "where it all came from", but does not settle on one as an answer.
Those major hypothesese explain how it all came to be, and are reduced to 'it was always there or it came from nothing'. God, in part at the moment, explains why. Yes, both extremes satisfy my taste in warm fuzzy blankets.
Faith in reason is all that is required. From that, it is reasonable to assume it possible discern what is and is not real based on our input. The amount of faith required is that to believe the previous statement. If you find it an unreasonable assumption, you can reject it. It can be rejected if necessary, but the assumption of the validity of reason is necessary for survival. Of course that statement is based on the assumption of the validity of reason, which demonstrates the inherent difficulty incurred if you abandon it.
Of course, we all have faith in reason. Yet you can reason as much as you want, faith also requires proof which you have to be willing to accept as such, to make sure you are not simply deluding yourself. I refer to a direct experience.
Interesting perspective. I don't know if the fact that it is three words means that 'what our whole existence is about" is evenly distributed across those words.
Me neither.
He didn't say that really did he? I thought he basically said religion is hollow because it abandons reason for faith in baseless and complicated solutions.
Your words Wes. Can you give me an example of one baseless, complicated solution you refer to?
Believe in god is almost understandable from the perspective you present below, but adding a religion to that belief is IMO, hopeless abandonment of all good sense. If you don't require things to make sense however, you will necessarily be diametrically opposed to my position.
I am not a 'religious' person Wes. But how, is it an "abandonment of all good sense" as you state it?
Because apparently he comes with strings attached. The mafia comes to mind.
Please explain, if you so wish, I'm not clear on this part.
It hands you a warm blanket (sorry I liked the term so have apparently temporarily attached to it) in which you wrap yourself. I don't see anything wrong with that as long as you can admit it. The agnostic's blanket is not so warm unless heated by the strength of their character.
Your agnostic statement applies to everyone Wes. Agnosticism is, after all, just another belief. To hold to any belief requires strength of character. It requires faith.
But infinity is only purported as an abstract whereas your middleman steals the show.
Truly, I find it hard to accept as an abstract. I see it demonstrated too often. I accept that you can never grasp it - but I also accept its existence. I find it hard not to.
If you have a problem with something, solve it. That doesn't mean make something up and say it has to be true. Can you see the difference?
Of course. It has to be true or nothing else makes sense is a better statement.
Sure, and then guys devised experiments for particle accelorators to detect the particles etc. Note that the model of the atom is referred to as "the standard model". MODEL. You know?
Oh, right, MODEL, o.k. Quite interesting isn't it? I mean if the particle is 'detected' you would expect them to be elevated to the realm of reality. Do you accept the heliocentric model of our Solar System as a MODEL, or a fact? Similarly you pray to God for some 'divine intervention' and your prayer is positively answered. Not always, of course, but then, how many attempts do the guys at CERN have to make before they 'detect' a particle?
Okay so if I ask "where did it all come from" (the most general question I can imagine, rather than jack around I should just jump to "it was this one thing and it did it and it says I should worship it"? Religions require this.
'Religions' require that. Why not say it's the one thing? Why "jack" around? Anyway, when 'something else' comes to mind maybe they'll say it's something else eh? For me God answers why I am here, not how.
Perhaps your answer is simply invalid for the context of the question? You ask the most general possible question, provide the most general possible answer and insist that you must have faith in it as the source of all, or that it somehow requires faith of you in some weird contract or something?
Now, if you don't understand that, I can explain it further. You worship God by the life you live, not only bowing down praying 5 times a day and going to church every saturday or sunday.
It's okay to snuggle in your blanky damnit. I would hope you to know this is what you are doing such that you do not insist more than emotional gratification to justify your unreasonable beliefs - as to do so puts you at odds with good sense..
I do not think my beliefs are unreasonable, and I don't think yours are either, however, the term of the blanket applies to us both, and all on sciforums as you seem to know. You may not understand why or even how some believe some things but that does not indicate that their belief is unreasonable does it Wes? Are you the 'god of reason' that you should know of everything which is reasonable as opposed to that which isn't?
What if you insist on answers that can only be fabricated, which don't in fact exist at all other than in that fabrication?
How would you know Wes? How do you know you exist in the first place? Faith
In what manner?
The universe is beginning to seem like a very complex place. Dimensions, universes, nothing, something. I can see no situation where 'Occam's razor' as it is commonly know can be applied.
Can you accept the possibilty of a limitation to "that which can be known"?
Only mad people like Cris can't do that. Sorry, you can't be nice through the whole thing can you?
What if the following is true:

Anything that happened prior to the event that lead to existence cannot be known... this is the opportunity cost for existing. To exist, you cannot know what it is like not to exist, though you can attempt to project it.
Yeah, what? But of course it becomes much more complex; what is existence in the first place? It may be possible to know, it may not be. Who knows? With God all things are possible.

Last edited:
MarcAC,

With God all things are possible.[

ANS: Just an observation, not intending to be negative.

But fairy tales do allow greater degrees of freedom than science to formulate solutions. It doesn't give those solutions without evidence any crediability however.

LOOKING AT BOTH SIDES NOW, huh?

YOU SAY! "Rigidity will cause a breakdown and yet being too flexible will achieve a loss of direction."

Very true. Good job. Glad you are a thinker! There are always extremes. Moderation to me is like balancing oneself, in order to have a better view, then steady and onward!

PMT

Originally posted by MacM
MarcAC,
ANS: Just an observation, not intending to be negative.

But fairy tales do allow greater degrees of freedom than science to formulate solutions. It doesn't give those solutions without evidence any crediability however.
I think we first have to be clear on what credibillity is before we venture there.

Back