Christians bitch about lack or religion in schools

Lots of people wrote the bible, building on eachothers work.
Often translating and misinterpretting and this has been happening over a looong time period.
Not that the original piece of writing would have been scientifically accurate anyway, but genesis(for example) in the bible of today is not even an accurate representation of what the guy who thought up the legend of genesis (some cave man probably) was saying.
It might have been a tale he told his children for fun one night by a fire. And it could have snowballed from there, each generation telling their children the same story, changing it slightly each time.
Eventually people have started believing it litterally because they had nothing else to believe in and they couldn't pinpoint the stories origins. This is when they would have claimed it was the word of god or whatever.
The bible is just a mix of jewish myths from history all mixed around and molested by people through history who tried to make sense of all of them.
How people can litterally believe them now is odd.
In the old days regurgitated stories was the only way to get an idea of history, even if it was distorted by the 'chinese whisper' syndrome it was the best they had.
Now science can get a much more accurate idea of history, this real history unsurprisingly completely contradicts the crazy stories invented by our ancestors. What is surprising, and I think it would even surprise the people who invented religion, is that people today believe randomly modified versions of the fantasies and daydreams of people that were alive thousands of years ago rather than real scientific evidence of the real history of earth.
I truely believe the people that came up with myths and legends would have loved to have known the truth, but it wasn't sitting on a platter for them like it is for people today so they had to wonder with their imagination
And their imaginations are the basis of the beliefs of religious people. Its crazy.
At the very least they could use their own imaginations. Talk about boring lazy people.

"If you look at my other reply, I stated that God REVEALS Himself to man.. "

God is revealed to no one. I don't mean that he doesn't exist, but that no one knows the nature of God, no one CAN know the nature of God, what's revealed are small moral lessons. No one has even claimed to know the nature of God, not even Jesus.

"God is a figment of mankinds imagination."
so, you are saying god does indeed exist, because imagination exists.

spidergoat said:
"God is a figment of mankinds imagination."

No I am not saying that.

God is a figment of mankinds imagination - so is Mickey Mouse, The tooth fairy, Santa, the gingerbread man, Popeye and even Scooby Doo - :rolleyes:

Whats wrong with believing the stories of our ancestors thousands of years ago over science? Science, throughout history, has been proven and then disproven years later and then remade and reproven and redisproven, etc. Science once thought the earth was flat. Science once thought that the sun revolved around the earth. Hell, even in modern physics, the "Raisen pudding" model of an atom was replaced with Borh's model etc. In quantum physics whenever something they dont understand comes up they just make up new rules and say they're right (what the hell? this violates everything we've taken in as true. Oh well, we'll just make up a new property [color, toppness, bottomness, strangeness, charm, etc] so we can get around it)
What i'm saying is that no science is proven beyond a doubt, so how is it that much different than reality? All we know is what we see around us, what actually happens in reality- and science builds rules UPON that. Reality does not act around science. So who controls reality? Who sets the laws? They are intuitive to us because thats how its always been but why and how did they start? Nobody knows for sure. I, personally, believe that God controlls them (if you havnt noticed already). And yes, i've taken many, many, many science classes and my belief still stands firm.
Also, theories of science are not mutually exclusive with those told in the book of genesis. (Let there be light! *big bang*). It says God created the earth in 6 days, but a day was not defined like it is now. A day could have been 5 billion years. Even evolution is supported in the bible. There are passages about animals adapting to survive, and plants, etc.
And my final argument is that, why the hell not? If i'm wrong, big whoop. My belief was in vein and nothing bad happens. If i'm right, then I go to heaven when the unbelieves go to hell. Since there is no way to disprove anything completely, why wouldnt someone believe. If there is even the SMALLEST possibility that God exists (and I strongly believe he does) then why risk something ETERNAL on human arrogance and misunderstanding? Sounds like a stupid risk to me.

Well according to my beliefs something bad will happen to you for believing in god.
Why risk it? You better not-believe just in case I'm right :rolleyes:

spidergoat said:
"If you look at my other reply, I stated that God REVEALS Himself to man.. "

God is revealed to no one. I don't mean that he doesn't exist, but that no one knows the nature of God, no one CAN know the nature of God, what's revealed are small moral lessons. No one has even claimed to know the nature of God, not even Jesus.

The book of John, Chapter 5:

16So, because Jesus was doing these things on the Sabbath, the Jews persecuted him. 17Jesus said to them, "My Father is always at his work to this very day, and I, too, am working." 18For this reason the Jews tried all the harder to kill him; not only was he breaking the Sabbath, but he was even calling God his own Father, making himself equal with God.
19Jesus gave them this answer: "I tell you the truth, the Son can do nothing by himself; he can do only what he sees his Father doing, because whatever the Father does the Son also does. 20For the Father loves the Son and shows him all he does. Yes, to your amazement he will show him even greater things than these. 21For just as the Father raises the dead and gives them life, even so the Son gives life to whom he is pleased to give it. 22Moreover, the Father judges no one, but has entrusted all judgment to the Son, 23that all may honor the Son just as they honor the Father. He who does not honor the Son does not honor the Father, who sent him.
24"I tell you the truth, whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life and will not be condemned; he has crossed over from death to life. 25I tell you the truth, a time is coming and has now come when the dead will hear the voice of the Son of God and those who hear will live. 26For as the Father has life in himself, so he has granted the Son to have life in himself. 27And he has given him authority to judge because he is the Son of Man.
28"Do not be amazed at this, for a time is coming when all who are in their graves will hear his voice 29and come out--those who have done good will rise to live, and those who have done evil will rise to be condemned. 30By myself I can do nothing; I judge only as I hear, and my judgment is just, for I seek not to please myself but him who sent me.

Spidergoat,

God is a figment of mankinds imagination."
Yeah well I’m sure you know that’s dumb – but just in case –

Imagination alone is insufficient to actually cause anything real to exist. But yes of course God does exist – as a concept and concepts are very real.

Kat

A concept is an idea.

An idea is created through imagination.

If you say God is a concept, then God is an idea created through imagination - mankinds imagination.

And if God is real then so is Popeye...LOL! :D :D

Your treading on dangerous grounds, Vienna...

"Imagination" is not necessarily the source of all ideas.

Rappaccini said:
Your treading on dangerous grounds, Vienna...

"Imagination" is not necessarily the source of all ideas.

Dangerous grounds LOL!

OK then - Mankind has an *idea* - "Duh thur must a God, cos I can't work out how all this universe stuff happened, etc, etc - Duh!" :rolleyes:

So you see Rappa - Without mankind there is no *idea of God*

Your *idea of God* cannot survive without mankind.

Back