Christian debate tactics

Leda,

I was in the same position as you except that I didn't really want to believe because the idea of forever scared the heck out of me. Science cannot explain much of what is going on in the Seattle Study, a twenty year project by doctors which examines NDE's immediately after their occurrence while still in the hospital. Despite what some in the science community claim, many features of NDE's have not been reproduced scientifically although some of the initial physical characteristics have been.

Science cannot explain the many people in this study who accurately describe events in other rooms while they were on life support, some of them even reading charts of other patients. Science cannot explain the woman who told her doctor to bring her the blue shoe that sat on a ledge outside a third story window that could not be seen from her hospital room or any other vantage point outside the hospital. Science cannot explian the many people who claim to have met a figure in white who answered, when asked who He was "I Am". Many of these people did not know the reference and had to search for it.

When I was being given the many signs that brought me to religion, I had a dream where I met the traditional figure of Jesus and I asked the same question. "Before Abraham was, I AM", was my answer. I had no idea this was even in the Bible, since I didn't own one. When I told my Catholic friend what had happened she started to cry because she and a few others had had a prayer gathering for me and asked Jesus to convince me once and for all. It still took a lot more than that before I believed. Even after someone showed me the specific verse I was resistant.

Maybe, Leda, you have been given signs that you were not ready to receive. Scientists, at least those that I've seen discuss it, do not say that the "God" switch is proof that there is no God. Some have openly wondered why we would have such a thing if there was no God.

leda,

When I was little, I WANTED to believe in God.

Why?

I didn't want to think that death was it, that it was the end.

Almost everybody has a fear of something.

I wanted to believe, but I couldn't.

I wanted to fly like a bird, but i couldn't.

As a child I did all I could to 'invite God into my heart' but he just wouldn't stick, and he went the same way as Santa and the fairies.

How do you know that God didn't come into your heart?
What exactly did you expect?

Surely if there was a God, he would not have made me with an inability to believe in him? And yet that is what I have.

You have not stated why you wanted to believe in the first place. .
Not wanting death to be the final act, is not a reason for believing in God. Most people are afraid of death because they usually are afraid of giving up what they have in their lives. Or they are afraid to die horribly.
If we knew for a fact that we would die peacefully in our sleep, the fear of death would diminish.
Fear of death is a materialistic emotion, which is why materialists use that as a general reason for belief in God. We simply measure all things from our own perspective. What else can we do?
Secondly, you are assuming what God does and does not do.
You say "if there was a God, he would......"
The truth of the matter is, if there was a God, He would do exactly as He is doing. Otherwise your "if there was a God" statement is meaningless and devicive.
Do you know why you were made? Are you aware of all your abilities?
If there is a God, then you find Him, if you don't know how, then find out.
If there is a God, then he made you and he is maintaining you, otherwise you could not exist. Try and give some acknowledgment, it is basic courtesy.
If there is a God, then become humble because you are reliant on Him, maybe then you may gain a clearer insight. These are basic things to consider before you even become religious.
If you decide "sod it" i'm going to do as i please, then He will leave you alone, for to interfere with your desire goes against His own laws, even though He will still maintain you.
Do you see where i'm coming from?

Jan Ardena.

Jan Ardena said:
My point is there are things you do not know, but you hope that things turn out fine. Logic and probabilities are only tools which help to develop this hope, they are by no means absolutes. Anything can happen at anytime.
I'm well aware that there are things I do not understand. And I'm even more aware that things can happen at any time. One minute you're fine, living life well and the next minute you're diagnosed with an illness that will change the rest of your life. However, what I do not understand is the blind faith in the big father figure in the sky who's there to make things all better. Hope is but a dream of what MAY come in the future. I once hoped to have children, but that was a false hope. Life is uncertain. Belief in God is uncertain, because we don't know if God exists. If he/she/it does exist, then he's got a sick sense of humour. Do I hope that God exists. Yes I do because then the people who believe so blindly in him/her/it wont have felt as though their whole life or belief system was a waste of time.

Why do you need to understand it?
Why would you give birth to a child, knowing that at some stage the child is going to be destroyed? Are you that calious and selfish? Or is there something more to it, which needs no understanding?
Why does anyone give birth to a child knowing that one day that child will die. Life is not forever. We have children for selfish reasons, as though our children are our greatest achievement. Life is an achievement, not our children. I don't need to understand it per se, I'm just curious as to how people can be so believing in something that is an interpretation of a belief. That's what religion is, an interpretation of a belief in an entity. Catholics for example are taught about God, Jesus, the Holy Spirit and they are taught to believe in the three equalling the one. But do they know it exists as a reality? Most would answer no, they just believe. It's not a matter in believing in the uncertain, it's more a matter of believing in what they deem to be certain.

My advise, try and understand what you can.
I understand my life as it stands. I don't try to understand what my future may bring because I could walk out of my house and die after being struck by a car. As I said before, life is uncertain. It's best to live it as best you can and whatever happens, happens.

Are you so insecure that you need to be assured at every step of the way?
Is it that you are sure about everything in the world, except God, or are there other things you are unsure of?
Is everything you do, say, feel, think, dream, hope, eat, drink, shag, based on logical rational reasoning, why you pick this one subject as questionable.
On the contrary, I'm secure in my life this very minute and as for the need to be assured, who can do that? Nothing is assured. Life itself is not assured. I'm secure that I'm breathing right now and that I'm reading your post and typing a reply. I pick the subject of the belief in God and religion to be questionable because it's not assured. How sure are you that God exists or that your religion is right? Are you so insecure that you need the father figure in the sky to watch over you and make sure everything is going to be ok? I wouldn't like to think so... you seem rational enough :p

And I also find politics questionable, but that's another story. ;)

Every belief system or universal ideal, has blind followers, but there are also followers who can see clearly. Why do you focus only on the blind? Do you think every single human who follows some religious code is blind to reality?
But what is religion though? A belief in an entity that is questionable and unknown. Is the belief that there is an all conquering God who watches over us based on reality? Or is it based from something that we have been taught by religion. I've always found that people who believe in God and religion are blind to any other possibility. Look at the creation vs evolution debate as an example. One may be rational in life and everything about life, but when it comes to a belief in God, how is it rational if the entity is unknown, unseen, unheard? If there were no religions, and therefore no Bible, Quran, etc, would people believe in the same God? Having regarded history, my guess is that no they wouldn't.

What would be sufficient proof of evidence that a trancendental, purely spriritual, omnicient and omnipotent being exists? What exactly would you expect to see with your eyes?
I would expect to see something... anything actually. More than what I'm seeing today. If such a being existed, then he/she/it would have to be one twisted son of a bitch for allowing the world and humanity to have denigrated to the point that it has today.

Why would you rather BELIEVE in something, that is aparently real? Aren't you sure they exist?
I'm sure that the keyboard I'm using to type this reply is real. I can see it, feel it and hear the keys clicking as I hit them. Could it not exist? Sure, and that could mean that I do not exist and that life itself is nothing but a dream/nightmare. But at the moment, I rather believe in something that is tangible. If someone wants to believe in God, then more power to them. But for their sake I have a quiet wish that something does exist out there, because if one day they find out that it doesn't, those believers will feel as though they are robbed. That is why I have a problem with the 'blind faith'. Because those who have such beliefs usually end up refusing to accept that it could just not be. If God exists, then fine, if God doesn't exist, then fine also. I couldn't really care either way. It's those who care deeply about it that have me somewhat concerned.

There is absolutely no question of "no religion in the world". As long as there are human beings their will always be religion. What happens is that "religion" becomes "irreligion" but it is not the same as "no religion."
True. If there were no religions, I wouldn't be sitting here discussing this with you.;)

Hypothetical situation:

I believe in something which you do not.
I offer no proof.
I tell you that you could believe in what I believe in, if you just keep trying.
I tell you that if you don't keep trying, you are doing something wrong.
I offer no evidence that believing in what I believe in will benefit you in any way.
Oh, and also, if you DO believe in what I believe in, you'll live forever.
If you don't keep trying, terribly sorry and all that, but its the eternal frying pan.
How many people now want to try to believe in what I believe in?

At this point, Christians will say something about it being different because they believe in something real. Hopefully, they can see that I could say this about my hypothetical belief also, and that they are in exactly the same position as the hypothetical me outlined above.

Science can also not explain voodoo deaths. Are they part of God's work too?

I had a dream of a maypole once, and of a snake eating its own tail, and knew by this that I was pregnant. Dreams work using mental metaphor. They employ symbols which are meaningful to us and often resolve issues that are not consciously present in our mind. You were thinking about religion, so you dreamt abuot religion. Just as you used your dreams as evidence for your God, I could use mine as evidence for my hypothetical belief outlined above.

Bells,

However, what I do not understand is the blind faith in the big father figure in the sky who's there to make things all better.

I am not aware of any bona-fide religion that describes God as being that lives in the sky (not a material sky anyway) and makes all things better, and as such is to be worshiped. Maybe you can enlighten me on such religious scripture.

I once hoped to have children, but that was a false hope.

It was not a false hope, it is a natural hope for most females. It can happen and it does. The false hope comes when you knowingly cannot have children naturally, but wish to.

Life is uncertain.

Life is not uncertain, it is very certain.
You just need to understand that you are not in control of life, you do not have a say in when you are born or when you die. The only control you have, is how you choose to live your life while you are alive.

Belief in God is uncertain, because we don't know if God exists.

We know we exist. We know we were created by certain process, namely procreation. We know if something is created it must have a creator. We know that for every effect there must be a cause. We can see design in all aspects of life whether simple or complex. We know that organism work together in such a way, that to put it down to randomness and chance, is very dodgy to say the least. When you put these things together, belief in God is not as uncertain as you are probably led to believe.

If he/she/it does exist, then he's got a sick sense of humour.

You see it that way because you are an atheist, and perhaps you don't want to believe in God.

Do I hope that God exists. Yes I do because then the people who believe so blindly in him/her/it wont have felt as though their whole life or belief system was a waste of time.

How very altruistic of you. :)

Life is an achievement, not our children.

An achievment of what, exactly?

That's what religion is, an interpretation of a belief in an entity.

No.
Religion is method of understanding your belief in God. Belief in God is a natural process, not that you believe in God because someone else believes in God. Every human being believes in something.

It's not a matter in believing in the uncertain, it's more a matter of believing in what they deem to be certain.

Certainty is relevant. Some people are certain in there beliefs, some people aren’t. If someone is certain of something, it is because they have reason, likewise if they are uncertain. Whether you agree with their certainty or not, is irrelevant.

Are uncertain people “certain” of their uncertainty, or are they uncertain as to whether they are uncertain or not?

I'm secure in my life

Where does this security come from?

Nothing is assured.

Not even income taxes and death?

Life itself is not assured.

Life is assured, what is not assured is the life you want.

How sure are you that God exists or that your religion is right?

That part of life does not seek assurance, it because whatever will be will be, which is in itself, assurance. As regard to which religion is right, it doesn't matter. What matters is how you live your life. When you take an exam, it doesn't matter whether the subject is right or wrong, only how you answer the questions. If you sincerely follow the instructions of a bona-fide religion, then what is right or wrong will be revealed, through the purity of you actions.

Are you so insecure that you need the father figure in the sky to watch over you and make sure everything is going to be ok?

I know of no-such father figure.

Is the belief that there is an all conquering God who watches over us based on reality? Or is it based from something that we have been taught by religion.

Belief is reality and so is religion, it only depends on how the individual uses or misuses them. To regard them as fantasy is simply only a denial. You are a good example, you deny God by putting Him in the same category as Father Christmas or a toothfairy, and disregard such great literatures such as Bhagavad Gita, Bible and Koran. Choosing to see them as literature created by simple uncivilised people who were desperate to give some kind of explanation of the themselves and the world around them.

I've always found that people who believe in God and religion are blind to any other possibility.

By "any of possibility" i take it you mean the atheistic-scientific approach?
If so, you are deeply misinformed.

Look at the creation vs evolution debate as an example.

So because people believe the universe was designed, they are blind to any other possibility. What you fail to realise is that, creation entails every possibility, even evolution. The evolutionists are the ones who are blind to any other possibility, their real interest is in trying to prove God does not exist, by initially finding a way to make His existence irrelevant, and they are prepared to lie, to achieve this goal, as we have seen, and are seeing.

One may be rational in life and everything about life, but when it comes to a belief in God, how is it rational if the entity is unknown, unseen, unheard?

That is why it is a belief. A belief is not bound by logic or even reason, it is possible to believe anything. Even that abiogenesis[/b] and macroevolution are scientific fact, despite the complete absence of material evidence. The thing with belief is, in order to act accordingly, there must be some reason, it must impact on your personal life in some way. Then you rationalise the impact, you look for evidence which gives justification. It is very personal. You and I may agree on somethings and disagree on others, there is no universal construct which says we must all agree on the same thing. But through our intelligence capabilities, we can understand that this is the case, and is actual knowledge.
God can be seen, known and heard, but it is not easy, especially from a western perspective. It demands discipline, humility, compassion, equanimity and empathy, none of which are promoted. In fact we see that the opposite is promoted religiously, and as such we are moving further away.

If there were no religions, and therefore no Bible, Quran, etc, would people believe in the same God? Having regarded history, my guess is that no they wouldn't.

It can be nothing more than a guess. I may say they would, but it really has no meaning or point. Because it is actual not static. I don't like licquorish, maybe you do. If there was no licquorish, would you still like it? Probably not. But it doesn't mean your taste has changed and it is because of your taste sensation why you like it. The reality never changes.

I would expect to see something... anything actually. More than what I'm seeing today.

What would you expect to see, that is the question?
You should know.

If such a being existed, then he/she/it would have to be one twisted son of a bitch for allowing the world and humanity to have denigrated to the point that it has today.

Are you assuming this denigration comes from God?

But at the moment, I rather believe in something that is tangible.[/b]

That’s fair enough, I don’t know of anyone who does not share that same belief. But that is a basic belief and I’m sure we needn’t go down that road, as we are both certain. However there are beliefs which are not so basic, not so rational, and it is these beliefs which attracts us to forums like this. I believe in the tangible and I believe in God. If you do not understand how the two can be believed without any conflict, then inquire, don’t assume. This is how we learn.

But for their sake I have a quiet wish that something does exist out there, because if one day they find out that it doesn't, those believers will feel as though they are robbed.

You make it sound like some kind of investment deal. Do you have any idea what sustains belief in God?

That is why I have a problem with the 'blind faith'. Because those who have such beliefs usually end up refusing to accept that it could just not be.

I’m afraid it doesn’t work like that, it is not some scientific experiment, nor is it a fad. It is very personal. It is a connection that impacts upon your very existence, which is why it cannot be scientifically tested any more than love between a mother and child could be. Of course there are people who follow blindly, I’m not disputing that. But for the purpose of this discussion I am interested in people who have a reason which can be intellectualised, at least to a point.

If God exists, then fine, if God doesn't exist, then fine also. I couldn't really care either way. It's those who care deeply about it that have me somewhat concerned.

If God exists, you should care. It is irresponsible of you not to. And why should another persons belief be of any concern?

True. If there were no religions, I wouldn't be sitting here discussing this with you.

Take that statement to its ultimate conclusion and you get, if there was no God, we wouldn’t be here discussing this.

And I quite agree. ;)

Jan Ardena.

Leda,

I had many, many other experiences besides dreams and, as I said, things that were shown to me in my dreams actually played out. Prior to that I was also assuming they were just dreams. This includes meeting people that I was shown while dreaming and events that I saw occuring.

I must point out that I was going along just fine when all this started to occur and actually resisted the idea of a God for a very long time since I wasn't crazy about the idea of Heaven and Hell. Essentially, I did not end up believing in something in which I desperately wanted to believe. I believed when I couldn't rationalize my way out of it anymore.

Wanderer, looks like the fishies are biting.

Jenyar:
What makes God "stick" is living the way He wants you. The answers come like anything in life: slowly and with effort.

For what is this effort justified?

Paula:
I had many, many other experiences besides dreams and, as I said, things that were shown to me in my dreams actually played out. Prior to that I was also assuming they were just dreams. This includes meeting people that I was shown while dreaming and events that I saw occuring.

This is incredibly amusing.
Of course dreams occasionally "actually play out". Dream imagry is quite suited to this.
But this is quite illustrative -
Fish-girl experiences something she does not understand.
The sources of authority in Fish-Girl's life do not provide explanations for this.
Thus, Fish-Girl invokes her "god of the gaps" to explain anything she finds disturbing.

Paula said:
Essentially, I did not end up believing in something in which I desperately wanted to believe. I believed when I couldn't rationalize my way out of it anymore.
M*W: Paula, that is called "mind-control."

Paula said:
Wanderer,

You're bored because Christians aren't answering you? Did you just post this to pick a fight? As far as I can tell from the limited amount of time I've spent on this forum, the atheist/agnostic method of debate is to continually insult Christians until you provoke the angry response that you can then use as proof that Christians are unreasonable.

Dear Paula
They have plenty of proof to say that christians are un- reasonsable or religion in general but that guy did post some interesting information about christian debate tactics.

Xev said:
Wanderer, looks like the fishies are biting.

Jenyar:

Good to see you Xev, I gave up on religion forum as well but I let my roomies play with this now. But when I saw your post I had to come and say hi. ;)

Hello MW.

Back