Chosen People Syndrome

Its easy to become used to pretty much anything you know. :p

Fortunately there are always people who beg to differ.

sam's glass is half empty...

'From Horrible to Bad'

Dalit empowerment is so incremental as to be almost invisible to outsiders. Dalits still have the country's highest malnutrition rates, which are also among the highest in the world. Violence and discrimination against lower castes are common, although reports usually end up on the inside pages of India's newspapers. In a recent incident, a Dalit working in Mumbai drove a new car back to his village, where some higher-caste people pulled him out and beat him to death, telling police later that they assumed the car had been stolen. They thought a Dalit could not afford a new car.

But Prasad's survey results showed that discrimination is decreasing, at least in this village. In 1990, 88.1 percent of families questioned in Gaddopur were seated separately during public dinners organized by upper castes. Now, only 30 percent said they were asked to sit apart.

Dalit villages are less likely than others to have paved roads, reliable electricity, running water or health clinics. But where some see squalor, others see progress. In many Dalit villages, brick hovels are replacing mud huts.

"It's gone from horrible to bad. But it's like saying that you have to climb a 10,000-foot mountain and you've have climbed 1,000 feet," said Devesh Kapur, director of the University of Pennsylvania's Center for the Advanced Study of India. "Still, the fact that we have seen a change of this magnitude after hundreds and hundreds of years of this community being crushed is really amazing."

Accompanied by Prasad, Kapur recently visited one of the villages in the study and met a Dalit village elder. He asked him if things had changed since he was a boy. "He said, 'It's like the difference between the land and the sky.' "

In India we have a severe problem with untouchability that is hard to eradicate even with education:

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...-and-kicking-in-India/articleshow/4850136.cms

What do you suggest we do about these chosen peoples? What are the recommendations that will enable them to see the untouchables as human beings? Even Gandhi failed here with redefining them as "Harijans" [people of God]

I believe you answered that in another thread:

In theory, they have rights, but in practice its unrealistic to aim for equality.

They should just get used to it. :shrug:

Well equality is a nightmare. Isn't it?

I believe you answered that in another thread:

Thats essentially what the dilettantes who "believe" in universal "human rights" would advocate, me I'm not for such luxuries. I'd just like to see them treated like people.

Thats essentially what the dilettantes who "believe" in universal "human rights" would advocate, me I'm not for such luxuries. I'd just like to see them treated like people.

Your comments in the other thread would suggest otherwise. Or is this different somehow?

Your comments in the other thread would suggest otherwise. Or is this different somehow?

Of course its different, that was Pakistan. :bugeye:

This is Indian Dalits we're talking about. Don't you know that human rights change by country? :bugeye:

Pretty much, is this a secret?
Let me get this straight..
Are you saying that Indians are worth more than Pakistanis?
Pakistani women should just "get used" to getting acid thrown into their faces while Indian Dalits do not have to settle for how things are and deserve a better life?

Let me get this straight..
Are you saying that Indians are worth more than Pakistanis?
Pakistani women should just "get used" to getting acid thrown into their faces while Indian Dalits do not have to settle for how things are and deserve a better live?

Pakistani women should get used to it because that is what secular humanism decrees.

I'm not a secular humanist, I'm a Muslim, I don't believe in the caste system.

Believe in a caste system? Not really. Believe in ethnocentric tribalism? Most probably, although the Saudis are usually considered the lower rung of the Arab ladder. They feel that.

Back