Chemical evolution:

iceaura said:
And on the other end: Where did you get the apparent impression that an an accidental "engulfing" event (of anything) by a lipid "enclosure" would be rare or unlikely?
Engulfing afaik would only realistically occur if sufficiently violent turbulence disrupted a lipid enclosure which then managed to reform around a miraculously non-disrupted delicate self-contained nucleus of RNA world replicators (or whatever hopeful monster is imagined to exist in this pre-to-biotic transition world). And then what? The lipid membrane as foreign body acts merely to isolate the enclosed genetic machinery. So it dies of starvation.
To suppose that the lipid enclosure has precisely the characteristics to recognize and admit useful molecules while rejecting poisonous ones is too far fetched for me to swallow. Similarly with allowing waste molecules out. Too many miracles altogether. The greatest being the nucleus figures out how to genetically incorporate that foreign lipid enclosure so cell division could work and semi-permeability of exactly the right kind to allow survival is 'injected' into the lipid bilayer. All within that one lifetime. Yeah sure.

Engulfing afaik a miraculously non-disrupted delicate self-contained nucleus of RNA Too many miracles altogether.
You mean as opposed to the 'miracle' of some unexplainable, omnipotent, all powerful, all knowing, magical being that has been around forever and ever Amen! :D

Sadly, it holds no water and the far more logical continuation and actions of chemistry in all its brilliance, dictates that life from non life, or Abiogenisis is the only scientific answer. Certainly not any old worn out God of the gaps.

You mean as opposed to the 'miracle' of some unexplainable, omnipotent, all powerful, all knowing, magical being that has been around forever and ever Amen! :D

Sadly, it holds no water and the far more logical continuation and actions of chemistry in all its brilliance, dictates that life from non life, or Abiogenisis is the only scientific answer. Certainly not any old worn out God of the gaps.
You are altogether far too presumptuous. Instead of repeating ad nauseum your usual assertive refrain, YOU actually explain in detail how addition of a *useful* semipermeable cell wall could happen naturally. Amuse me and actually try.

You are altogether far too presumptuous. Instead of repeating ad nauseum your usual assertive refrain, YOU actually explain in detail how addition of a *useful* semipermeable cell wall could happen naturally. Amuse me and actually try.
Why not amuse yourself and explain what I suggested instead?
No, I don't know the answer at all, but I'm not going to shove in some magical spaghetti monster as a place holder!:D

So in response to this
Where did you get the apparent impression that an an accidental "engulfing" event (of anything) by a lipid "enclosure" would be rare or unlikely?
we get this:
Engulfing afaik would only realistically occur if sufficiently violent turbulence disrupted a lipid enclosure which then managed to reform around a miraculously non-disrupted delicate self-contained nucleus of RNA world replicators (or whatever hopeful monster is imagined to exist in this pre-to-biotic transition world).
1) Once again we are treated to the spectacle of a "conservative" or creationist presenting their ignorance and unfamiliarity as evidence in support of their assertions. It's a genuinely odd form of argument.

2) The question asked of you was where you got that idea - it's not what the research and theory so far seems to indicate happened, not what the researchers have advanced as likely, so one wonders where it came from. Do you know?
To suppose that the lipid enclosure has precisely the characteristics to recognize and admit useful molecules while rejecting poisonous ones is too far fetched for me to swallow. Similarly with allowing waste molecules out. Too many miracles altogether. The greatest being the nucleus figures out how to genetically incorporate that foreign lipid enclosure so cell division could work and semi-permeability of exactly the right kind to allow survival is 'injected' into the lipid bilayer. All within that one lifetime. Yeah sure.
Soundly put. Clearly that's unlikely to have been what happened.
So that having been settled for the third or fourth time, we can move on - no?

You have a credible resolution? Let's have it then.
Posted four times now.
Your imaginary evolutionary sequence is - as you have agreed, repeatedly - not a likely one, and not one that anyone is arguing for.
Hence, resolved.

The more pertinent and meaningful question of where you came by the idea is one only you can answer - so far, you seem unwilling to address it.

So you're done here, apparently.

Posted four times now.
Point to even one example where you have. Actually explained.
The more pertinent and meaningful question of where you came by the idea is one only you can answer - so far, you seem unwilling to address it.
https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s11084-009-9171-8
"Abstract
Containment in cell membranes is essential for all contemporary life, and apparently even the earliest life forms had to be somehow contained. It has been postulated that random enclosure of replicating molecules inside of spontaneously assembled vesicles would have formed the initial cellular ancestors. However, completely random re-formation or division of such primitive vesicles would have abolished the heritability of their contents, nullifying any selective advantage to them. We propose that the containment of the early replicators in membranous vesicles was adopted only after the invention of genetically encoded proteins, and that selective enclosure of target molecules was mediated by specific proteins. A similar containment process is still utilised by various RNA- and retroviruses to isolate their replication complexes from the host’s intracellular environment. Such selective encapsulation would have protected the replicators against competitor and parasitic sequences, and provided a strong positive selection within the replicator communities."

There you go. Some additional speculation:

https://www.liebertpub.com/doi/abs/10.1089/153110702762470482
"Abstract
Organic compounds are synthesized in the interstellar medium and can be delivered to planetary surfaces such as the early Earth, where they mix with endogenous species. Some of these compounds are amphiphilic, having polar and nonpolar groups on the same molecule. Amphiphilic compounds spontaneously self-assemble into more complex structures such as bimolecular layers, which in turn form closed membranous vesicles. The first forms of cellular life required self-assembled membranes that were likely to have been produced from amphiphilic compounds on the prebiotic Earth. Laboratory simulations show that such vesicles readily encapsulate functional macromolecules, including nucleic acids and polymerases. The goal of future investigations will be to fabricate artificial cells as models of the origin of life."

A dead end from the start as discussed earlier.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/20484387/
"BACKGROUND
Membranes as compartment boundaries

All biological cells are membrane-bound compartments. The cell membrane fulfills the essential function of creating an internal environment within which genetic materials can reside and metabolic activities can take place without being lost to the environment. Modern cell membranes are composed of complex mixtures of amphiphilic molecules such as phospholipids, sterols, and many other lipids as well as diverse proteins that perform transport and enzymatic functions. Phospholipid membranes are stable under a wide range of temperature, pH, and salt concentration conditions. Such membranes are extremely good permeability barriers, so that modern cells have complete control over the uptake of nutrients and the export of wastes through the specialized channel, pump and pore proteins embedded in their membranes. A great deal of complex biochemical machinery is also required to mediate the growth and division of the cell membrane during the cell cycle. The question of how a structurally simple protocell could accomplish these essential membrane functions is a critical aspect of understanding the origin of cellular life."

And the subsequent material does not answer how such complex biochemistry could realistically be acquired by a comparatively simple lipid enclosure. Just hopeful suggestions.

Engulfing afaik would only realistically occur if sufficiently violent turbulence disrupted a lipid enclosure which then managed to reform around a miraculously non-disrupted delicate self-contained nucleus of RNA world replicators (or whatever hopeful monster is imagined to exist in this pre-to-biotic transition world). And then what? The lipid membrane as foreign body acts merely to isolate the enclosed genetic machinery. So it dies of starvation.

Good questions that are active topics of biological research.

To suppose that the lipid enclosure has precisely the characteristics to recognize and admit useful molecules while rejecting poisonous ones is too far fetched for me to swallow. Similarly with allowing waste molecules out.

Proteins embedded in the cell membrane are typically involved with all that. Some of them operate like very selective little pumps, nanomachines pumping particular things in and out. Life is a wonder of nanotechnology, all operating on the scale of atoms. How all that originated is currently unknown.

I personally assume that it originated step-by-step by natural means in some as yet unknown way. But I don't actually know that at this point. It's an assumption and needs to be acknowledged as such.

Too many miracles altogether.

Certainly too many to allow contemporary science to plausibly pretend that it knows how life originated. It doesn't. 'Abiogenesis' simply means something like 'life from non-life'. It isn't an explanation, it's just a name for a whole collection of current research problems. That's the essence of my argument with Paddoboy, I guess.

Of course, positing a single giant supernatural miracle responsible for all of it is no more plausible. Less plausible, in my opinion. It's certainly no more intellectually respectable. It doesn't bring us any closer to understanding and just multiplies the mysteries. That's the essence of my argument with the creationists.

The thing is, it isn't an either-or matter. It's not like one must falsely pretend to have a scientific answer to the origin-of-life question, or else everyone will immediately slide backwards into the horrible pit of supernatural creationism.

As with so much in intellectual life, the answer once again is agnosticism, the willingness to admit that we don't know when in fact we don't know. (Agnosticism is something that atheists seem to have a lot of difficulty understanding.)

One would think that self-proclaimed 'skeptics' would be open to admitting that they don't know things, but often-times they aren't. Their skepticism is like a semi-permeable membrane that allows some ideas to pass without scrutiny but bars others, depending on the "skeptic's" pre-existing metaphysical commitments. They are battling for a faith-based world-view just like the religionists are.

Last edited:
Certainly too many to allow contemporary science to plausibly pretend that it knows how life originated. It doesn't. 'Abiogenesis' simply means something like 'life from non-life'. It isn't an explanation, it's just a name for a whole collection of current research problems. That's the essence of my argument with Paddoboy, I guess.
Actually, I'll agree with that, but add the important proviso, it is the only scientific answer we have.

One would think that self-proclaimed 'skeptics' would be open to admitting that they don't know things, but often-times they aren't. Their skepticism is like a semi-permeable membrane that allows some ideas to pass without scrutiny but bars others, depending on the "skeptic's" pre-existing metaphysical commitments. They are battling for a faith-based world-view just like the religionists are.
I am not sure if anyone has claimed that we know the methodology of Abiogenisis.
Have you listened to Tour? and in his own words how even if evidence of a Abiogenesis methodology were to surface, how it still wouldn't change his literal interpretation of the bible.
That's why the man is a fanatical bible basher. Even the Catholic church do not now literally take the bible as fact.

I believe there is convincing evidence of the several ways how Abiogenesis has occurred. We just don't know the exact when and where, from a host of possible sites. But is that important?

MUexperiment.png

We have proved that Abiogenesis is such a common occurrence, that is one of the reasons why a particular source is difficult to find. The Urey-Miller experiment proves how easy it is to create polymers. Is there any doubt that nature can improve over that simple experiment, given that nature had a few more billion years and spatial surfaces, instead of a couple of glass flasks and a few spark during a few hours? There is nothing that man can create artificially that nature cannot spontaneously create from is near infinite resources.

The "warm pool" theory proposes that some basic bio-chemical polymers may have formed in many individual pools and when these pools dried some of these basic bio-chemical polymers may have been carried by the wind and seeded many places just like pollinating flowers do today. This tried and true natural pollinating method has proven effective for the evolution and variegation of most all fauna on earth. What's the prohibitive problem with nature using this effective system in the evolution of Abiogenesis?

Given the enormous spatial and temporal quantities and varieties of resources

Last edited:
I believe there is convincing evidence of the several ways how Abiogenesis has occurred. We just don't know the exact when and where, from a host of possible sites. But is that important?
The convincing evidence of Abiogenesis occurring, is the continued success of science/cosmology over the many years to explain how our spacetime/universe evolved, how the first fundamentals came to be, the first atomic nuclei, the first elements, the first stars, the planets and life, thereby pushing the mythical IDer and/or magical creator into near oblivion.

I wrote:

"Certainly too many [unanswered scientific questions] to allow contemporary science to plausibly pretend that it knows how life originated. It doesn't. 'Abiogenesis' simply means something like 'life from non-life'. It isn't an explanation, it's just a name for a whole collection of current research problems."

Actually, I'll agree with that, but add the important proviso, it is the only scientific answer we have.

How are you not contradicting yourself?

If 'abiogenesis' is just another more pretentious name for the origin of life, and if you agree with me that there are too many unanswered questions to justify saying that science possesses an explanation of life's origins, then what justification is there for continuing to call 'abiogenesis' "the only scientific answer we have"?

In what sense can it be called a "scientific answer" at all?

Can we consider Abiogenesis an axiom?

What is an Axiom?
An axiom is a basic statement assumed to be true and requiring no proof of its truthfulness. It is a fundamental underpinning for a set of logical statements. Not everything counts as an axiom. It must be simple, make a useful statement about an undefined term, evidently true with a minimum of thought, and contribute to an axiomatic system (not be a random construct).
Is an axiomatic system self-contradictory?
An axiomatic system must have consistency (an internal logic that is not self-contradictory). It is better if it also has independence, in which axioms are independent of each other; you cannot get one axiom from another. All axioms are fundamental truths that do not rely on each other for their existence.
https://tutors.com/math-tutors/geometry-help/axiomatic-system-definition

I wrote:

"Certainly too many [unanswered scientific questions] to allow contemporary science to plausibly pretend that it knows how life originated. It doesn't. 'Abiogenesis' simply means something like 'life from non-life'. It isn't an explanation, it's just a name for a whole collection of current research problems."

How are you not contradicting yourself?

If 'abiogenesis' is just another more pretentious name for the origin of life, and if you agree with me that there are too many unanswered questions to justify saying that science possesses an explanation of life's origins, then what justification is there for continuing to call 'abiogenesis' "the only scientific answer we have"?

In what sense can it be called a "scientific answer" at all?
Pretentious? Sometimes you amaze me Yazata. You claim to be "impartial" and yet fail to address Abiogenesis for what it is...the only scientific answer to the arising of life.
Perhaps I may have misunderstood/mis read/misinterpreted your text, but I believe I have stated my position often enough, so that you should understand what I did mean.
Abiogenesis is the only scientific theory. The unanswered questions are in relation to the methodology in my mind.

Yazata:

Mine too.

No competent professional scientist who is studying abiogenesis would claim that there is a "scientific theory of abiogenesis" or say something like "it is the only scientific answer we have". To assume current science has The Answer to abiogenesis is a hopeful fantasy, nothing more. What it has, as I keep telling paddoboy, is some hypotheses and some likely fragments of a future theory.

Of course, positing a single giant supernatural miracle responsible for all of it is no more plausible. Less plausible, in my opinion.
Miracles are unfalsifiable. You can "explain" anything by appealing to a miracle, which makes miracles a non-explanation. If a miracle happened, why did it happen? Who made it happen? How did they do it? What natural mechanisms and what supernatural mechanisms are involved? Obviously, there are no answers to any of these questions, just loads of baseless speculation - apart from speculations about natural mechanisms, that is, which only bring us back to science.

"God did it" is a trite non-starter as an explanation of anything. By its nature, it's always a faith-based claim without support.

It's certainly no more intellectually respectable.
One problem is that there is a long history of treating God claims as respectable. Previous generations of scientists were steeped in the same superstitions as current religionists, and their religious indoctrination often crept into those parts of their speculative writings and speeches that went beyond what they could justify with their science. Today, we're still living with a legacy of treating faith-based hypotheses about scientific matters as respectable, even if such hypotheses are now largely absent from the peer-reviewed scientific literature.

It doesn't bring us any closer to understanding and just multiplies the mysteries. That's the essence of my argument with the creationists.
Creationism was originally - and still is for the hard-core American Creationists - based on the assumption of the inerrantcy of the bible. These days, we can show that the biblical creation stories are not just flawed due to their idle speculation, but actually factually incompatible with scientific findings.

The thing is, it isn't an either-or matter. It's not like one must falsely pretend to have a scientific answer to the origin-of-life question, or else everyone will immediately slide backwards into the horrible pit of supernatural creationism.
That's correct. While fanboy science boosting is not really on a par with literal Creationism's outright and knowing dishonesty, it is still intellectually unsustainable and overreaching in a not-dissimilar way. Whichever way you look at it, pretending to have all the answers is intellectually dishonest. I don't know why anybody who claims to respect the scientific endeavour would want to get into bed with the Creationists to tell lies about the origin of life, even if they are lies of a different kind. It is far preferable to take the moral high road.

One would think that self-proclaimed 'skeptics' would be open to admitting that they don't know things, but often-times they aren't.
In my experience, many self-proclaimed skeptics are woefully uninformed about what skepticism actually entails. Case in point is anybody who says something like "I used to be a complete skeptic, but after doing a lot of reading I'm now totally convinced that the stories people tell about UFOs/ghosts/God/etc. prove that there's more to [those things] than science knows."

paddoboy:

There's no getting through to you, obviously. As Yazata says, you just blatantly contradicted yourself. You can't have it both ways. Either you believe there is a scientific "theory of abiogenesis" that is "The Answer", or you accept that what science really has is a collection of problems related to the origins of life that are the subject of ongoing research.

The fact that you won't commit to one position or the other in writing smacks of a knowing dishonesty on your part. I don't think you're really as stupid as you make out sometimes. I think that, by now, you know that you're on the wrong side of this particular argument, but you're not man enough to admit it. Your ego, as usual, keeps getting in the way.

I no longer expect you to be reasonable. I'm expecting this post will be followed by more of the same from you: ignoring everything that you are being told, combined with pointless repetition of your baseless claim. If you're true to form, you'll also trot out some irrelevant cut-and-pastes from other websites to try to prop up your position, while ignoring the main point of the objection that Yazata and myself have put to you over and over again.

I am not sure if anyone has claimed that we know the methodology of Abiogenisis.
You have. What do you think it means when you claim that some unspecified scientific "theory of abiogenesis" is "the only answer we have"? Are we to read your words as saying something other than what they clearly imply?

Have you listened to Tour? and in his own words how even if evidence of a Abiogenesis methodology were to surface, how it still wouldn't change his literal interpretation of the bible.
That's why the man is a fanatical bible basher. Even the Catholic church do not now literally take the bible as fact.
None of that excuses your false claim.

There's no getting through to you, obviously.
Of course there is James. I'll stick to the reputable links using and promoting Abiogenesis as the only scientific theory we have for the appearance of life.
You have. What do you think it means when you claim that some unspecified scientific "theory of abiogenesis" is "the only answer we have"? Are we to read your words as saying something other than what they clearly imply?
No, quite understandable, without any thing to read into it, other then the meaning of the words themselves, and as any normal person would understand, so why are you playing so dumb, as in stupid?
None of that excuses your false claim.
So argue your point [whatever hidden meaning that has] with the professionals rather then what you see as an easy mark, me.

Last edited by a moderator:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abiogenesis

In evolutionary biology, abiogenesis, or informally the origin of life (OoL),[3][4][5][a] is the natural process by which life has arisen from non-living matter, such as simple organic compounds.[6][4][7][8] While the details of this process are still unknown, the prevailing scientific hypothesis is that the transition from non-living to living entities was not a single event, but an evolutionary process of increasing complexity that involved molecular self-replication, self-assembly, autocatalysis, and the emergence of cell membranes.[9][10][11] Although the occurrence of abiogenesis is uncontroversial among scientists, its possible mechanisms are poorly understood. There are several principles and hypotheses for how abiogenesis could have occurred.[12]

The study of abiogenesis aims to determine how pre-life chemical reactions gave rise to life under conditions strikingly different from those on Earth today.

Point to even one example where you have. Actually explained.
And you change the subject again.
Not a surprise - but why?

Moving on:
Containment in cell membranes is essential for all contemporary life, and apparently even the earliest life forms had to be somehow contained. It has been postulated that random enclosure of replicating molecules inside of spontaneously assembled vesicles would have formed the initial cellular ancestors.
Nothing specific there about "lipid bilayers", and nothing about the initial formation of "replicating molecules", and the question of what came before the "earliest forms of life" is begged (or simply overlooked, despite its centrality), but baby steps, baby steps - some progress is visible:

That article deals with the formation of the first cells - it assumes the existence of replicating molecules of some undescribed and unknown nature, assumes the necessity of cellular organization, etc. So not quite to the point,

but it does in fact seem to answer the one question, in one respect - at least it appears to, you are not specific: where you got the idea of spontaneously lipid-enclosed replicators. You just added the "lipid bilayer" and "replicating molecular assemblage" notion to the basic "first cell" speculation.

Better late than never, we enter a possible discussion, so far so good. Granting your unnecessary and question-begging assumptions, prodeeding,

now: as noted and asked, above, your argument from those (unnecessary) assumptions depends on such events being so vanishingly rare that an entire planet's supply of oceans and niches would not be enough to account for it happening in hundreds of millions of years. Where did that assumption come from?
- - - -
I personally assume that it originated step-by-step by natural means in some as yet unknown way.
Incomplete.
Some acknowledgment of the fact that sufficient and plausible "ways" are known to exist, have been described and shown to have been available, belongs there.

We don't know what actually happened - but we do know a fair amount about what could have happened, what was possible and sufficient. We do have Darwinian theory, and it applies. We aren't completely blind in our research, or uninformed in our speculations.

Of course there is James. I'll stick to the reputable links using and promoting Abiogenesis as the only scientific theory we have for the appearance of life.
Just as I predicted. You didn't even bother trying to understand what I wrote, did you?

So argue your point [whatever hidden meaning that has] with the professionals rather then what you see as an easy mark, me.
All the competent professionals already agree with me that there is currently no theory of abiogenesis.

paddoboy said:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abiogenesis

In evolutionary biology, abiogenesis, or informally the origin of life (OoL),[3][4][5][a] is the natural process by which life has arisen from non-living matter, such as simple organic compounds.[6][4][7][8] While the details of this process are still unknown, the prevailing scientific hypothesis is that the transition from non-living to living entities was not a single event, but an evolutionary process of increasing complexity that involved molecular self-replication, self-assembly, autocatalysis, and the emergence of cell membranes.[9][10][11] Although the occurrence of abiogenesis is uncontroversial among scientists, its possible mechanisms are poorly understood. There are several principles and hypotheses for how abiogenesis could have occurred.[12]

The study of abiogenesis aims to determine how pre-life chemical reactions gave rise to life under conditions strikingly different from those on Earth today.
Let me fix that for you:

----
Why quote a wikipedia article that agrees with me and does nothing to support your silly claim?

See the words "hypothesis" and "hypotheses" there? I have bolded them for you, because obviously you missed them the first time.

Also, see the absence of the word "theory"?

Back