• Yes, it is a compliment

Votes: 11 52.4%
  • No, it is objectification

Votes: 5 23.8%
  • Other opinion (post it)

Votes: 5 23.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

If its in my face, I could hardly not notice it. Like the time I was in a train and a guy unzipped his trousers and showed me his dick. Same thing happened once in a dorm. And in a computer lab. Geez.

SAM must think she is so hot that every man that looks over or whistles, must be getting a massive boner. :rolleyes:

SAM must think she is so hot that every man that looks over or whistles, must be getting a massive boner. :rolleyes:

No, I wait until I actually see one. Thats convincing enough for me. :D

Some guys actually get turned on at being ignored, maybe someone here can explain it.

And its nothing to do with being hot. Drunk guys are the worst cat callers and I doubt their ability to tell the difference.

Last edited:
If its in my face, I could hardly not notice it. Like the time I was in a train and a guy unzipped his trousers and showed me his dick. Same thing happened once in a dorm. And in a computer lab. Geez.

That's not... cat calling. And hence it is out of the scope of this thread.

n. Conduct of a sexual or indecent nature toward another person that is accompanied by actual or threatened physical force or that induces fear, shame, or mental suffering.

It's a pretty catching word.

Does an inappropriate sense of humor classify as suffering? :D

Its crass and offensive, but its clearly not me who is suffering.

But yeah, I tend not to be able to figure out when I am being sexually harassed, so I'll concede someone else might suffer. I tend to just look at the guy and say, is that all? Where's the rest? or some such

Alright, good to know that whistling and the flashing of genitalia fit under the same category in your mind. I guess nothing else needs to be said here.

Well, there's two parts to it. The one part part—

"Whistling at is not raping."​

—is perplexing, but only if I let it be. It makes a fine punch line, but that's all it is. I'm not sure what the value of the point is either way. But, like I said, only if I let it be. It is easy enough to move onto the next, which is a simplification of rather grotesque proportion:

"Women who find it creepy should grow some skin and stop whining about how all men are creepy bastards who want to sexually violate them."​

It is rather a curious generalization.

To work with two generalizations of slightly less ridiculous proportions, we might consider the feminists and the Christian prudes. You know, they're both generally myths. Certainly hypersensitive people like this exist, but they're both generally exploited well out of proportion to their real magnitude and influence.

But the feminists, as such, would be the ones worrying about how all the men are icky, creepy bastards who want to violate them.

The Christian prudes, to the other, just worry about the icky, creepy catcalling bastards, or criminal-looking bastards, or Mexican-looking bastards, or whatever, who want to violate them. In this case, it's not all men.

And then, of course, to invoke yet another silly generalization, there are the skanks and hussies who are offended because this or that man simply isn't good enough to treat them so poorly.

Even in generalizations, we've managed to show the problem of your generalization. Because I'm sure we could find more generalizations. White men, black men, fat men, hairy men, old men ... there's a bitch or a ho or a prude or a feminazi out there prone to whine about mere segments of the male population.

Grotesque, I tells ya.

I admit that was a bit of an oversimplification. I just get a little sick of the idea of women as poor little victims who get objectified.

Alright, good to know that whistling and the flashing of genitalia fit under the same category in your mind. I guess nothing else needs to be said here.

Whistling is not the only way that cat calls happen. Loud cries are also used as an attention getter, accompanied by grabbing the crotch, making smacking sounds with lips, lifting the Tshirt to show manboobs and pinching nipples. Its a continuum and all of them are crass. None of them say to me, wow, thats a guy I want to get to know.

Not equally crass. And again with you women. Where, where, where do you live?! What men actually grab their crotches and do all of the things you're talking about? I'm sure it happens sometimes in some places of the world, but in a regular US city? Nah. At most it's like "You're beautiful, honey!" Or a whistle. Yeah, I know, boo hoo.

If I get a flirty look or a double dam (as in daaay uuummm) then I preen. I do stand a bit taller and smile. Its a compliment. I smile A LOT and I get a lot of smiles back.

I've never had any of the other kind of cat calls. I don't know if its how I carry myself or the men I've been around. Attitude and first impressions count.

Crude remarks aren't objectifying any more than saying "you look nice in that dress" They are both looking and making a judgement. One is nice the other is being an ass. If a woman gets crude remarks a lot, maybe she should wonder if she dresses like a skank?

Not equally crass. And again with you women. Where, where, where do you live?! What men actually grab their crotches and do all of the things you're talking about? I'm sure it happens sometimes in some places of the world, but in a regular US city? Nah. At most it's like "You're beautiful, honey!" Or a whistle. Yeah, I know, boo hoo.

How about public transport, college campus, busy streets, bars, public events (like balls and dances), airports (once at JFK once at O'Hare)
If I get a flirty look or a double dam (as in daaay uuummm) then I preen. I do stand a bit taller and smile. Its a compliment. I smile A LOT and I get a lot of smiles back.

I've never had any of the other kind of cat calls. I don't know if its how I carry myself or the men I've been around. Attitude and first impressions count.

Crude remarks aren't objectifying any more than saying "you look nice in that dress" They are both looking and making a judgement. One is nice the other is being an ass. If a woman gets crude remarks a lot, maybe she should wonder if she dresses like a skank?

No I don't dress like a skank. And mostly I'm lost in my own world, I pay very little attention to my surroundings, usually someone with me has to tell me that some guy is behaving like a dipshit.

How about public transport, college campus, busy streets, bars, public events (like balls and dances), airports (once at JFK once at O'Hare)

No I don't dress like a skank. And mostly I'm lost in my own world, I pay very little attention to my surroundings, usually someone with me has to tell me that some guy is behaving like a dipshit.

that's why I said A LOT. I'm sure every woman has heard it from time to time but when you hear it A LOT.....:shrug:

that's why I said A LOT. I'm sure every woman has heard it from time to time but when you hear it A LOT.....:shrug:

Since I rarely catch it anyways, I wouldn't know how often I hear it. I'm one of those people who cannot show even a bit of cleavage without getting some attention.:shrug:

Oh, I get attention. Just not crude rude attention. I think most (not all) men can tell class from trash.

Back