Carbonated Drinks.. Are they really that Bad ?

* In The First 10 minutes: 10 teaspoons of sugar hit your system. (100% of your recommended daily intake.) You don’t immediately vomit from the overwhelming sweetness because phosphoric acid cuts the flavor allowing you to keep it down.
* 20 minutes: Your blood sugar spikes, causing an insulin burst. Your liver responds to this by turning any sugar it can get its hands on into fat. (There’s plenty of that at this particular moment)
* 40 minutes: Caffeine absorption is complete. Your pupils dilate, your blood pressure rises, as a response your livers dumps more sugar into your bloodstream. The adenosine receptors in your brain are now blocked preventing drowsiness.
* 45 minutes: Your body ups your dopamine production stimulating the pleasure centers of your brain. This is physically the same way heroin works, by the way.
* >60 minutes: The phosphoric acid binds calcium, magnesium and zinc in your lower intestine, providing a further boost in metabolism. This is compounded by high doses of sugar and artificial sweeteners also increasing the urinary excretion of calcium.
* >60 Minutes: The caffeine’s diuretic properties come into play. (It makes you have to pee.) It is now assured that you’ll evacuate the bonded calcium, magnesium and zinc that was headed to your bones as well as sodium, electrolyte and water.
* >60 minutes: As the rave inside of you dies down you’ll start to have a sugar crash. You may become irritable and/or sluggish. You’ve also now, literally, pissed away all the water that was in the Coke. But not before infusing it with valuable nutrients your body could have used for things like even having the ability to hydrate your system or build strong bones and teeth.

http://www.healthbolt.net/2006/12/08/what-happens-to-your-body-if-you-drink-a-coke-right-now/

Thanks , that tells me the effects, which i experience, but in a dumbed down version, since i drink so much of it in a day.., Ooo..coke is like heroin ..nice.
:)
As for the nutrients bit, everyone know if you have a choice between coke or water in a survival situation take water.. but the strong bones and teeth bit.. It should be counteracted by milk.. no ? .

If i was religious id be saying a whole long sentence with references to a "God" and mentioning some holy quality about that weirdo...

anyway STOP KILLING YOURSELF sergeant SHISNO =P

no really, much as i am annoyed by ur crap sometimes id hate to see you go in such a horrible way. guys isnt there some sorta quit hotline for beverages??

Great post S.A.M., wish I would have read that years ago.
I used to drink roughly six cans of Coca-Cola every day for about a decade.
Countless cavities and six teeth later, I know that it is unhealthy to consume.
Drink water, fruit and vegetable juices, and limit your intake of Coke Zero.

Thanks , that tells me the effects, which i experience, but in a dumbed down version, since i drink so much of it in a day.., Ooo..coke is like heroin ..nice.
:)
As for the nutrients bit, everyone know if you have a choice between coke or water in a survival situation take water.. but the strong bones and teeth bit.. It should be counteracted by milk.. no ? .

The problem is that the acid wears off the enamel of the teeth, which would not be adjusted by drinking milk. :(

Although maybe you could grab some cheese with the coke and see if it helps to keep your teeth from becoming brittle.:shrug:

Another point which has occurred to me is that the dark dye present in coke may also have an effect on nephrons.

So also common preservatives, if consumed in excess; some of the common ones in soft drinks are Yellow 2G, sodium benzoate ( a suspected neurotoxic hazard), coal tar derivatives.

Coal tar derivatives:

Preservative. Derived from coal tar; all sulphur drugs are toxic and restricted in use (in USA, FDA** prohibits their use on raw fruits and vegetables), produced by combustion of sulphur or gypsum; known to provoke gastric irritation, nausea, diarrhoea, skin rash, asthma attacks and difficult to metabolise for those with impaired kidney function, also destroys vitamin B1, and should be avoided by anyone suffering from conjunctivitis, bronchitis, emphysema, bronchial asthma, or cardiovascular disease. Typical products are beer, soft drinks, dried fruit, juices, cordials, wine, vinegar, potato products.

Challenger78,
Here's an Australian saying you might relate to... Harden The Fuck Up!
Ditch the cans, .....Black coffee ( the real stuff)! FFS.

Challenger78,
Here's an Australian saying you might relate to... Harden The Fuck Up!
Ditch the cans, .....Black coffee ( the real stuff)! FFS.

For some reason.. My friends have been telling me that for years.
Straight Black eh ? I haven't had that since i was a kid (and it made me bounce of walls.)I guess you think sugar is for pussies as well ? Will give it a go.

SAM, Will the increased activity in the liver possibly lead to liver failure or Diabetes ? Again this is just speculation but highly likely.

For some reason.. My friends have been telling me that for years.
Straight Black eh ? I haven't had that since i was a kid (and it made me bounce of walls.)I guess you think sugar is for pussies as well ? Will give it a go.

SAM, Will the increased activity in the liver possibly lead to liver failure or Diabetes ? Again this is just speculation but highly likely.

Diabetes has been associated with an increase in hepatic glucose intolerance, which leads to an increase in accumulation of free fatty acids and triglycerides in the liver, causing steatohepatitis (aka fatty liver). I'm not sure if anyone has studied this specifically with reference to the soft drinks. Since people who consume soft drinks also consume other foods, it is sometimes hard to predict what the cumulative effects would be.

But researchers have linked soft drinks to diabetes
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/2004/08/26/MNG088EJSU1.DTL

Thanks for that,
Just to assure you all that i'm not crazy, My parents have banned all pepsi cans in the house after i finished 24 cans in 3 days... Of course, its only a 2 week ban.

Back