Can God change his/her mind?

God can do whatever he wants.. so yeah, of course he can change his mind. The real question is will he change it, the answer is no. The reason he wont is because God already has a perfect plan, he knows whats gonna happen and all the effetcs of it and sense the plan is perfect, why change it?

Perfect plan? I wouldnt say so. Unless you consider mass suffering as part of a perfect plan.

Are you denying free will?, seems like you subcribe to a cause and effect relationship with events. You even go as far to say that the future is already decided. This doesnt leave much room for choice, now does it?

Greco: You're perplexed because you are a mortal trying to understand God. No mortal has that capability. A mortal who tries to understand God, is like an amoeba, who tries to understand the workings and complexities of the human mind. And even this analogy falls short of describing the hopelessness of such an endeavor. There are, several Biblical accounts, of God changing his mind.

Can you share the accounts? The mains one off the top of my head would be King David, Amos changes God's mind on the plague of locust and few others, Moses saves God from killing everyone but himself. But on further investigation, when God says something, it does come true. The prophets were only able to delay it coming true.

There are, several Biblical accounts, of God changing his mind.
whoops, god most definately is not omniscient then, despite what we're told. why is this not reflected in church doctrine then? because god knows no-where near everything if he can change his mind. why don't people see these contradictions and wonder what the real truth is?

To Okinrus: Two instances that come to mind are (1) When God changed his mind and allowed the Isrealites to be ruled by a king,( the first one being Saul) and when God changed his mind and allowed the Isrealites to divorce.

I don't consider these really changing his mind. God has different rules for different generations. For example Noah could sacrafice where ever he wanted to, but the Israelites could only sacrafice in the temple. Some of the Jewish patriachs practiced polygamy. Also God might "Do not do this'" but still allow this to happen.

The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge; Fools despise wisdom and instruction. Proverbs 1-7.
fear of god is not the beginning of knowledge. and should i fear god because i hear he is supposed be all understanding or some bs like that. i don't despise wisdom and instruction, i look for wisdom and knowledge- most of which has not been derived not by religious types but rather by scientists and atheists.

God's changing mind???

First of all, the concept of God being an entity with a mind is ridiculous. Whatever you call your creator, God, Allah, YHWH, etc., these entities do not have a physical body, so they cannot have a mind. However, the positive force of energy which IS God regardless of what you call your Creator, gives the human race the ability and capacity to think and create for itself. Free will gives the cumulative mind of the human race the power and ability to make changes as they deem appropriate at the time the changes occur. God created us in 'His' spiritual image. Therefore, we (the human race) is God on Earth. We were given a brain and a mind. The power of positive energy that drives us all, also has the ability to make changes. So, yes, in this respect, simply put, God can change his/her mind. That's us folks!

Originally posted by okinrus
If God is all powerful why can't he make a creature
with freewill.
You forget and lose yourself in semantics. Stop and think for one minute about you yourself being an "all powerful" being. You'd (if you try) realise that you truly can't keep anything from yourself, since the second you change anything, you know about the change (well, truthfully, you knew were going to change it anyway). You have no freedom from the actions of your own mind, thus you have 100% accountability for everything that happens as a result of your actions.

Re: God's changing mind???

Originally posted by Medicine*Woman
First of all, the concept of God being an entity with a mind is ridiculous. Whatever you call your creator, God, Allah, YHWH, etc., these entities do not have a physical body, so they cannot have a mind.
Assumption: a mind requires a body.

Re: Re: Can God change his/her mind?

Originally posted by Mephura

*edit=Ok, consciousness can possibly be kept, but its tricky.

Mephura, quite recently I was thinking along these very lines and I believe I have a useful conjecture.

You see, if God is omniscient to us, he must have an infinite present in the 4th dimension, implying that he perceives the entirety of time in an instant.

You know how you can look at a three dimensional object and see all three dimensions, length, width, and depth, without being forced to see only one two dimensional plane at a time?

I mean, you see the object in all three dimensions, you don't see only two of its dimensions completely and the third (depth) incompletely and progressively.

In other words, you see all 'two-dimensional slices" of that object at once, without being forced to look at one at a time. You perceive the whole third dimension of the object in an instant.
Ergo, you have an infinite present in the third dimension (also in the first and second).

However, in the 4th dimension, we have a finite present, discerning only one "three-dimensional slice" of reality at a time. We cannot fathom the entirety of time in an instant, and are limited to understading only "one present at a time."

God, unlike us, must have an infinite present in the 4th dimension, to grant him awareness of all time.

Instead of seeing a cube flying in space, whilst viewing the movement of the cube from an older present (the "past") into the current present, as we do, God would see all of the past and future positions of the cube, indicating that his "present" is basically an instant consisting of all time.

This, of course, insinuates that God has no free-volition, as he cannot change decisions which he "has made" (this is not proper wording since there is no "has" to this deity, everything in the 4th dimension simply "is").
However, if you think about the matter, to this God, changing the course of history, which he can regard in its complete form, would be like us trying to decide the shape of an object, we can't DO IT.

Take a vase for example: As you view a vase, you cannot decide whether it will thin or bulge as your view shifts progressively from its top to its bottom. It simply will do whatever it will.
You cannot "decide " what it will do since you already know what it will do.
In fact, to your mind, the vase has basically already done it. IT HAS ALREADY THINNED OR BULGED, REGARDLESS OF YOUR DECISIONS.
You, as a 4th dimensional entity, have no control over events in the 3rd dimension, since you can perceive all those events instantly. Those events are already done and over to your mind.

So, as Mephura asserted, God cannot have a consciousness in the 4th dimension, since he can't even make decisions of any sort in that dimension.

Even so, this does not preclude a divine cognizance, or awareness, since this awareness could actually have an finite present in a more advanced dimension, say the 5th.

Since we have a finite present in the 4th dimension, we could never conceive of this 5th dimension, but God, with his total awareness and subsequent lack of say in the 4th, could exist with free-will in this higher dimension.

Last edited by a moderator:
To Okinrus: God told Abraham that he would change his mind and not destroy Sodom if there were 10 righteous people there. The account of the negotiations between God and Abraham with Abraham interceding for Sodom begins in Genesis 18-v22. I think you will find the conversation between God and Abraham very insightful. One thing is evident, God had absolutely no quams about changing his mind. The act of God changing his mind wasn't an issue. God allowing the Irealites to have a king had nothing to do with different rules for different generations. It was all of the elders of Isreal who approached Samuel and told of their desire to have a king so they could be like all of the other nations. Until now, God ruled directly over the Isrealites, and did not want to change. Therefore, God told Samuel to go back to the people and tell them what it would be like if they chose to live under a king. 1 Samuel 8, 4-22. The conversation between God and Samuel is also very insightful.

Hiroyoshi Nishizawa

To Atheroy: Your response validates the proverb.
i tend to disagree as i fear no god (and don't believe in either god or devil or any other similar concept), i go looking for wisdom for fun. it's nice to learn new things and expand your mind- for you it would be to expand the hopelessly narrow view of the world you have. it is good to realise and understand the things around you like tv, or animals biological workigs, or how the earth formed, so that you don't waft through life understanding nothing and ultimately achieving nothing because of that.

Originally posted by atheroy
so that you don't waft through life understanding nothing and ultimately achieving nothing because of that.

Inevitably, everyone, no matter how illustrious or eminent, will have achieved nothing.

Life will end, all things will be lost and forgotten, and the cosmos will continue, unaffected by our yearnings, our burnings, our learnings, or our churnings.

So, the point of gathering information is not that profound, Atheroy. Actually, one only wishes to expand one's knowledge in order that life become more pleasurable.

Originally posted by Redoubtable
Inevitably, everyone, no matter how illustrious or eminent, will have achieved nothing.

The greeks had a phrase for it.

Ola einai mateodis.

Translation "All is in vain"

I see excellent posts. I like the the concept of a higher dimentional God. It's like the search for the ultimate equation that explains everything. The theoreticians are resorting to higher dimentional mathematics that are promising. Perhaps the two are related.

Re: God's changing mind???

Originally posted by Medicine*Woman
First of all, the concept of God being an entity with a mind is ridiculous.

Good God now I heard it all. A mindless God. You know, it sort of makes sence.

no shit. when i mean achievment i mean it on a human level, not some grand, universal scale.

So, the point of gathering information is not that profound, Atheroy. Actually, one only wishes to expand one's knowledge in order that life become more pleasurable.
i know its not profound if you want to look at life as being totally insignificant, but to go through life without understanding anything around you is a complete waste of time. i'm not sure what you're trying to argue, but life has to be worth living because you only get once chance at it.

Back