Can, and does God change?

Greatest I am

Valued Senior Member

Many seem to think that when scripture says that God is immortal and perfect, it means that God never changes his mind on anything and that his perfection is complete.
They use the following basic definition.
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/perfect

Scripture seems to contradict this definition. It shows a N T Jesus that must learn and an O T God who changes thanks to repenting.

In the real world, all things seem to evolve.

Is God a never changing stagnant pool of information or does he evolve the same as all other life?

If he was perfect and complete for millennia in the beginning, why would he suddenly feel a new urge to create and self glorify himself with the love of insignificant creations?

Where did his needs for adoration, belief, and obedience from, what to him, would be less than what an amoeba is to us?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdpcGPPoawo&feature=related

Further, if his intent was to create many followers, why does scripture show more failed creations than successful ones?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3LNL6wKhXA

Regards
DL

Change involves the passage of time.
If God is changing this means that he is not the master of time, but he is subject to time.

Everyone is subject to time. God changes because we change . God as we know it is an invention of Humans . God is the word haven't you heard. Humans invented the word long ago . Maybe something besides Humans created the word ? I don't think so ? Seems like a human invention to Me . The written word is attributed to a couple of different Sumerian Kings . They were Humans

Everyone is subject to time. God changes because we change . God as we know it is an invention of Humans . God is the word haven't you heard. Humans invented the word long ago . Maybe something besides Humans created the word ? I don't think so ? Seems like a human invention to Me . The written word is attributed to a couple of different Sumerian Kings . They were Humans

Sumer and Egypt to me.

Regards
DL

OP premise is not quite right..

it assumes we KNOW who/what God is...

it establishes a definition of who/what God is..
in that sense it establishes authority over God.(if God is not this way,then it is not God)

it is not God who changes..it is our understanding of who/what God that changes.

Old testament understood God as a 'Do as your told' God, (which is why so many religions only focus on OT)
New testament understands God as 'think for yourself' (they explain the why's a bit better)

why can't our thinking about who/what God is, evolve?
how come there haven't been any other major prophets since those times?
if we were able to add books to the bible,what would qualify?

in that sense it establishes authority over God.(if God is not this way,then it is not God)

it is not God who changes..it is our understanding of who/what God that changes.

Old testament understood God as a 'Do as your told' God, (which is why so many religions only focus on OT)
New testament understands God as 'think for yourself' (they explain the why's a bit better)

Secular law.

You say that the N T tells us to think and yet, if we do not think like or believe in Jesus, it is off to eternal torture for us.

Do things my way or burn forever is hardly--think for yourself.

Regards
DL

I would add " THe Tipping Point " and I would add Steven Covey books and C.D.s . There is quite a bit of Music I would add too . Music books in general as a matter of fact. Yeah that would be Great

Issac Newton was a prophet , Nicoli Tesla was too. George Washington was a prophet . Hell we got one hell of a monument in North Dakota to prove it. Lots of prophets we profit from .

Secular law.

You say that the N T tells us to think and yet, if we do not think like or believe in Jesus, it is off to eternal torture for us.

Do things my way or burn forever is hardly--think for yourself.

Regards
DL

i believe he gives credit for effort...

it doesn't make sense for it to tell us we are all sinners AND if we sin we go to hell..
the only way i can make sense of it is to blame the canonization process for enhancing that theme(hell maybe they created it.)

I also believe God gave us the ability to choose, 'Do things my way or burn' isn't a choice. its someones attempt to control ppl..
do you(any you) really think God needs to be like that to get us to do what he wants us to do? or would you think that he has way more effective means to have us obey him?( IF that is what he truly wants..)
Maybe he likes it when we do for ourselves and others..
would you want to be worshiped by 6 billion needy ppl?

Many seem to think that when scripture says that God is immortal and perfect, it means that God never changes his mind on anything and that his perfection is complete.
They use the following basic definition.
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/perfect

Scripture seems to contradict this definition. It shows a N T Jesus that must learn and an O T God who changes thanks to repenting.

In the real world, all things seem to evolve.

Is God a never changing stagnant pool of information or does he evolve the same as all other life?

If he was perfect and complete for millennia in the beginning, why would he suddenly feel a new urge to create and self glorify himself with the love of insignificant creations?

Where did his needs for adoration, belief, and obedience from, what to him, would be less than what an amoeba is to us?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdpcGPPoawo&feature=related

Further, if his intent was to create many followers, why does scripture show more failed creations than successful ones?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3LNL6wKhXA

Regards
DL

God doesn't break a promise, God remains the same and is self sufficient while he can still change his creations regardless. God didn't repent your source is corrupted/changed/miss-translated.....Jesus isn't God.

In this world things change within the enviroment of-course, these are all creations, none of it implies god's self alteration, rather multitudes of expression comming from the same infinite potential and root source.

Insignificant is the wrong word, you are not seperating God from his creations when you explain here. God's creations are not God nor do they represent likeness of him. Every-thing he creates beside the sentient beings of free will gorify God just by playing their part in existence. He didn't just suddenly decide to create when he made humans, he was creating things long before we existed, this is but one small world in one physical realm.

What God does with his creations is up to him he has decided to create our type of life form and then test us based on the choices we make. a being that can choose to praise him or shun him, opposite to an angel or being without free will who has no choice but to obey on command.

If a sentient being fails and his bad deeds out weigh his good deeds then this again has no reflection on god changing or being effected in any way by this. God has legions of loyal beings, humans'Alamin do not have to follow god on this earth like everything else does the amount of human followers does not effect god's Majesty you cannot help or benefit god in any way regardless of your honourable and just intent to do so.

Peace.

Back