Bush upsets Christians

Er ....

• This isn't happening!

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • Do you finally believe that the Christians are part of the problem?

Votes: 4 40.0%
  • Oooooh ... George. Georgie, Georgie, Georgie ....

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Bush may actually go to Hell for that .... (Mark 3.29)

• Well, he's got a point.

Votes: 6 60.0%
  • (Other) / ("Pigs just flew out of my ....")

• Total voters

Tiassa

Let us not launch the boat ...
Valued Senior Member
It was bound to happen.

At any rate, a Washington Post article:
Evangelical Christian leaders expressed dismay yesterday over President Bush's statement that Christians and Muslims worship the same god, saying it had caused discomfort within his conservative religious base. But most predicted that the political impact would be short-lived.

At a news conference with Prime Minister Tony Blair in England on Thursday, a reporter noted that Bush has often said that freedom is a gift from "the Almighty" but questioned whether Bush believes that "Muslims worship the same Almighty" that he does.

"I do say that freedom is the Almighty's gift to every person," the president replied. "I also condition it by saying freedom is not America's gift to the world. It's much greater than that, of course. And I believe we worship the same god."

Bush's remarks sent immediate shock waves through Christian Web sites and radio broadcasts. A Baptist Press report quoted Richard D. Land, president of the public policy arm of the Southern Baptist Convention, the nation's largest Protestant denomination, as saying that Bush "is simply mistaken."
I'm just going to go over to the corner, light a bong, and duck.

After all, what could I say to set the tone of this topic any better than Mr. Bush himself?

• Cooperman, Alan. "Bush's Remark About God Assailed." Washington Post, November 22, 2003, Page A6. see http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A4697-2003Nov21.html

Last edited:
Christian fanatics are destroying the world....imagine having CHRISTIAN MULLAH in the white house, how many days before he launch a new crusade to kill by the name of Jesus ?

Scenes of sins and punishment will now be a sit-down show :

It's back: After a year without a home, Hell House is planting its stake at Vision Fellowship Assemblies of God Church, 9191 N. Washington St.

Pastor Ray Smith announced Sunday to his flock that their church will host the controversial morality play - and crowds possibly in the thousands - during the last two weekends in October.

The church is in a former shopping center that lends itself better to a stage play, not a series of walk-through vignettes as Hell House had been since debuting in 1995, said the Rev. Keenan Roberts. He's the former youth pastor who launched Hell House at the Arvada church where he formerly worked.

http://www.rickross.com/reference/fundamentalists/fund115.html

Bush is either pretending to be a Christian, or that he knows very little of Christian values.

Well, there you have it folks - like it or not, the "Big 3" all worship the same, hateful, war-mongering god of confusion. Of course, I think most of us outside of that peculiar little triangle have realized that quite clearly all along, but I'm amazed that anyone on the inside would actually be able to see the forest for all those damned trees. :D

Originally posted by Nehushta
Well, there you have it folks - like it or not, the "Big 3" all worship the same, hateful, war-mongering god of confusion. Of course, I think most of us outside of that peculiar little triangle have realized that quite clearly all along, but I'm amazed that anyone on the inside would actually be able to see the forest for all those damned trees. :D

Why you dont follow your ATHIEST heros such as Hitler or maybe STALIN in their ''humane'' ways when dealing with humanity ????

:rolleyes:

The great pretender?

Bush is either pretending to be a Christian
Most days I would agree with you, except that in this case that agreement might be irrelevant: How many Christians in America aren't pretending?
or that he knows very little of Christian values
He has to know them in order to exploit them. But I won't pretend that he actually genuinely cares.

But check this out:
Yusufali translation: They but wish that ye should reject Faith, as they do, and thus be on the same footing (as they): But take not friends from their ranks until they flee in the way of Allah (From what is forbidden). But if they turn renegades, seize them and slay them wherever ye find them; and (in any case) take no friends or helpers from their ranks; except those who join a group between whom and you there is a treaty (of peace), or those who approach you with hearts restraining them from fighting you as well as fighting their own people. If Allah had pleased, He could have given them power over you, and they would have fought you: Therefore if they withdraw from you but fight you not, and (instead) send you (Guarantees of) peace, then Allah Hath opened no way for you (to war against them).

Pickthal translation: They long that ye should disbelieve even as they disbelieve, that ye may be upon a level (with them). So choose not friends from them till they forsake their homes in the way of Allah; if they turn back (to enmity) then take them and kill them wherever ye find them, and choose no friend nor helper from among them, except those who seek refuge with a people between whom and you there is a covenant, or (those who) come unto you because their hearts forbid them to make war on you or make war on their own folk. Had Allah willed He could have given them power over you so that assuredly they would have fought you. So, if they hold aloof from you and wage not war against you and offer you peace, Allah alloweth you no way against them.

Shakir translation: They desire that you should disbelieve as they have disbelieved, so that you might be (all) alike; therefore take not from among them friends until they fly (their homes) in Allah's way; but if they turn back, then seize them and kill them wherever you find them, and take not from among them a friend or a helper. Except those who reach a people between whom and you there is an alliance, or who come to you, their hearts shrinking from fighting you or fighting their own people; and if Allah had pleased, He would have given them power over you, so that they should have certainly fought you; therefore if they withdraw from you and do not fight you and offer you peace, then Allah has not given you a way against them.

Khalifa translation: They wish that you disbelieve as they have disbelieved, then you become equal. Do not consider them friends, unless they mobilize along with you in the cause of GOD. If they turn against you, you shall fight them, and you may kill them when you encounter them in war. You shall not accept them as friends, or allies. Exempted are those who join people with whom you have signed a peace treaty, and those who come to you wishing not to fight you, nor fight their relatives. Had GOD willed, He could have permitted them to fight against you. Therefore, if they leave you alone, refrain from fighting you, and offer you peace, then GOD gives you no excuse to fight them.

(Quran, 4.89-90)
The irony here is that George W. Bush, it seems, would rather be a Muslim. The above sounds more like the GW Bush that holds the Oval Office than:
"You have heard that it was said, 'An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth.' But I say to you, Do not resist one who is evil. But if any one strikes you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also; and if any one would sue you and take your coat, let him have your cloak as well; and if any one forces you to go one mile, go with him two miles. Give to him who begs from you, and do not refuse him who would borrow from you.

"You have heard that it was said, 'You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy.' But I say to you, Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, so that you may be sons of your Father who is in heaven; for he makes his sun rise on the evil and on the good, and sends rain on the just and on the unjust. For if you love those who love you, what reward have you? Do not even the tax collectors do the same? And if you salute only your brethren, what more are you doing than others? Do not even the Gentiles do the same? You, therefore, must be perfect, as your heavenly Father is perfect."
(Matthew 5.38-ff, RSV)
Perhaps GWB needs to pick up on his Daily Bible Study.

Seriously ... which one sounds like a noble description of our President?

Re: The great pretender?

Originally posted by tiassa
Most days I would agree with you, except that in this case that agreement might be irrelevant: How many Christians in America aren't pretending? He has to know them in order to exploit them. But I won't pretend that he actually genuinely cares.

But check this out:The irony here is that George W. Bush, it seems, would rather be a Muslim. The above sounds more like the GW Bush that holds the Oval Office than: Perhaps GWB needs to pick up on his Daily Bible Study.

Seriously ... which one sounds like a noble description of our President?
Seriously, I believe Bush behaves like a Christian, and he is fighting evil and the devil with all his power. Perhaps he should stop quoting phrases which he intends to be Christian-like. He makes mistakes, which is why many people are Christian.

All Christians make mistakes during their life, and turn to God for forgiveness and guidance. There is no such thing as a perfect Christian, but they try to be as perfect as they can by following the teachings and examples shown by Jesus.

Vienna,

He makes mistakes, which is why many people are Christian.
I doubt you meant to say it quite like that but my immediate image was of people converting to Christianity en masse as GWB continuously quotes mistake after mistake.

I'm not sure there should be any pride in making mistakes. Better education tends to help quite a bit, and some intelliegnce of course.

How about this attitude as well?

"The very first act of the new Bush administration was to have a Protestant Evangelist minister officially dedicate the inauguration to Jesus Christ, whom he declared to be 'our savior.' Invoking 'the Father, the Son, the Lord Jesus Christ' and 'the Holy Spirit,' Billy Graham's son, the man selected by President George W. Bush to bless his presidency, excluded the tens of millions of Americans who are Muslims, Jews, Buddhists, Shintoists, Unitarians, agnostics, and atheists from his blessing by his particularistic and parochial language.

"The plain message conveyed by the new administration is that George W. Bush's America is a Christian nation and that non-Christians are welcome into the tent so long as they agree to accept their status as a tolerated minority rather than as fully equal citizens. In effect, Bush is saying: 'This is our home, and in our home we pray to Jesus as our savior. If you want to be a guest in our home, you must accept the way we pray.'"

-- Alan M. Dershowitz, in "Bush Starts Off by Defying the the Constitution," Los Angeles Times, January 24, 2001

Perhaps GWB is now trying to correct this early mistake.

Originally posted by Cris
Vienna,

I doubt you meant to say it quite like that but my immediate image was of people converting to Christianity en masse as GWB continuously quotes mistake after mistake.

I'm not sure there should be any pride in making mistakes. Better education tends to help quite a bit, and some intelliegnce of course.
Cris,

You are right, I didn't mean it to come out like that. What I was trying to say was that most people when they think of a "Christians", it conjures images of a righteous people with impeccable values, who follow the good ways in life and are never wrong. . This is not true. All kinds of people are Christians, good and bad people, Bishops to murderers, and just because someone has done something bad in their life doesn't mean they can't be a Christian.

Just because someone fouls up in their life does not mean they are not a Christian. And they can carry on being Christians for as long as they recognise their errors and try to amend them, and ask for forgiveness and guidance, and continue to follow the teachings and examples shown by Jesus.

Vienna,

Yes I understand.

But I see the Christian belief and expectation of forgiveness as somewhat immoral. It discourages people from taking a greater effort to prevent mistakes and from taking greater responsibility for their actions.

There are a few things in my life that I wish had not occurred. I look back and cringe. But there is nothing I can do about them, the deeds are done, they are out there, they are undoable, and I have to live with those mistakes. But what this does for me is make me focus more carefully on not making the same mistakes again. There is no forgiveness and no way out. I am responsible for my own actions.

The Christian, unfortunately has no such moral responsibility because they believe they need only ask for forgiveness and the slate is wiped clean. Their sense of responsibility for their actions must necessarily be far less than my own.

This is a definite downside to Christianity.

Vienna,

Yes I understand.

But I see the Christian belief and expectation of forgiveness as somewhat immoral. It discourages people from taking a greater effort to prevent mistakes and from taking greater responsibility for their actions.

There are a few things in my life that I wish had not occurred. I look back and cringe. But there is nothing I can do about them, the deeds are done, they are out there, they are undoable, and I have to live with those mistakes. But what this does for me is make me focus more carefully on not making the same mistakes again. There is no forgiveness and no way out. I am responsible for my own actions.

The Christian, unfortunately has no such moral responsibility because they believe they need only ask for forgiveness and the slate is wiped clean. Their sense of responsibility for their actions must necessarily be far less than my own.

This is a definite downside to Christianity.
Great post Cris

You say that you see the Christian belief and expectation of forgiveness as somewhat immoral. It discourages people from taking a greater effort to prevent mistakes and from taking greater responsibility for their actions.

Forgiveness should never be an open passport to wrong again, if someone treats forgiveness this way then IMO they are not Christian. A true Christian will be grateful for a second chance and to use this opportunity in improving their life as taught by Jesus. You must learn by your mistakes and make a great effort never to fail in that area again.

Cris, whatever has happened in your life it IS forgiveable. I don't know what you have done, nor do I wish to pry. The most important thing I can say to you is that you do not deserve to carry such a burden, no matter how great you think it is. The most terrible wrongs on this Earth are forgiveable, isn't that why Jesus died. Sorry, I know those last words don't mean anything to you anymore, but you must realise that you are already forgiven. If there is no guilt there is no forgiveness.

And whether you believe in Jesus's teachings or not, I believe you have already been forgiven. Stop carrying that weight and start living the rest of your life to the full, as a Christian or as a non Christian, you deserve it!

Originally posted by tiassa
It was bound to happen.

At any rate, a Washington Post article: I'm just going to go over to the corner, light a bong, and duck.

After all, what could I say to set the tone of this topic any better than Mr. Bush himself?

• Cooperman, Alan. "Bush's Remark About God Assailed." Washington Post, November 22, 2003, Page A6. see http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A4697-2003Nov21.html

Interesting post tiassa, and offcourse very interesting remarks. No matter how much they deny they ( Baptists ) don't know that the whole world worships the same God. The God in heavens above. Not the Jesus God, not the Bagwan God, not the Shiva God, not the Allah God, neither any other God but that One entity, Almighty God. But sadly this group of extreme christians don't get it. If you notice vienna's remarks you can simply see how right I am. As long as people don't understand the concept of God there will be problems and there will be etremists either christians or muslims. There will always be people who like or dislike these remarks. It doesn't make Bush less christian or some one else more christian. I hope you see my point.

Originally posted by Vienna
Great post Cris

Forgiveness should never be an open passport to wrong again, if someone treats forgiveness this way then IMO they are not Christian. A true Christian will be grateful for a second chance and to use this opportunity in improving their life as taught by Jesus. You must learn by your mistakes and make a great effort never to fail in that area again.
!

Vienna, what difference does it make? If I am a christian and commit sins all my life, am I still going to heaven? I think I will, if I believe in christ as my saviour and that he died for my sins. Then what is there to stop me?

Who is the hell for? Are there any bad Christians who will go to hell? or will they all be save? and if they all will be save then the rest of the world will go to hell? Please think before you answer.

Vienna,

Forgiveness should never be an open passport to wrong again, if someone treats forgiveness this way then IMO they are not Christian.
Agreed. But that isn’t the issue.

A true Christian will be grateful for a second chance and to use this opportunity in improving their life as taught by Jesus.
And that is the problem. There is no second chance.

You must learn by your mistakes and make a great effort never to fail in that area again.
But real life is not a video game where you can reset the score and start again. Your mistakes are permanent. The slate cannot be wiped clean.

Cris, whatever has happened in your life it IS forgiveable. I don't know what you have done, nor do I wish to pry.
Don’t let your imagination take over here; my past actions are nothing in particular other than some things I would rather not have said. It is the principle that is the issue here.

The most important thing I can say to you is that you do not deserve to carry such a burden, no matter how great you think it is.
Like I said, actions taken cannot be taken back. Dealing with mistakes and learning how to deal with them is an important part of real life and reality. It is largely through adversity and difficulties that we learn and grow and gain wisdom. Trying to pretend through religion that we are not really responsible is indefensible and immoral. Once we accept our own faults and understand that we must take personal responsibility for them helps us better understand others and enables us to help them.

The most terrible wrongs on this Earth are forgiveable, isn't that why Jesus died.
That’s certainly the claim but it seems more like a sales gimmick in religious indoctrination. It is trying to make people feel there is an escape from their feelings of guilt, but there isn’t. The real lesson in life is accepting responsibility for your actions and knowing that you must live with them. Trying to make them vanish is irresponsible escapism.

Sorry, I know those last words don't mean anything to you anymore, but you must realise that you are already forgiven. If there is no guilt there is no forgiveness.
I understand what you mean perfectly, but is has no meaning neither it is useful for dealing with reality or how humanity must learn to deal with their problems in a responsible manner. Giving up their responsibilities to a fantasy god keeps mankind from socially evolving.

And whether you believe in Jesus's teachings or not, I believe you have already been forgiven.
Forgiveness is not what is needed; the idea is over simplistic and rather infantile. The issue is how to come to terms with past mistakes and to take full responsibility for future actions.

Interestingly this is the primary issue within the Church of Scientology (the L Ron Hubbard religion). They label such issues as psychological engrams and help their adherents ‘clear’ such inhibitions. I spent some time researching them about 3 years ago; I have of course since been permanently expelled – it seemed I asked too many questions. But some of the principles they have identified are quite sound.

No, praying for forgiveness from an imaginary deity is simply irresponsible and attempts to sidestep real solutions.

Stop carrying that weight and start living the rest of your life to the full, as a Christian or as a non Christian, you deserve it!
You miss the point somewhat. It is not a weight but a reminder of reality and responsibility. Christians try to avoid both.

Originally posted by Proud_Syrian
Why you dont follow your ATHIEST heros such as Hitler or maybe STALIN in their ''humane'' ways when dealing with humanity ????

:rolleyes:

To the best of my knowledge, Hitler was not an atheist, and he is most certainly not my hero and neither is Stalin. By the way, I find it kind of funny that you automatically paint anyone who is not a follower of any of the Abramic religions as an atheist. What a narrow little world you must live in. :rolleyes:

But while we're at it, shall we discuss some of the heroes of Islam and their humane ways of dealing with humanity? Ayatollah Khomeini? Muammar Qaddafi? Saddam Hussein? Osama bin Laden? Hafez al-Assad? Do any of these names ring a bell for you?

Originally posted by Markx
Vienna, what difference does it make? If I am a christian and commit sins all my life, am I still going to heaven? I think I will, if I believe in christ as my saviour and that he died for my sins. Then what is there to stop me?

Who is the hell for? Are there any bad Christians who will go to hell? or will they all be save? and if they all will be save then the rest of the world will go to hell? Please think before you answer.
Please think before you answer.

Likewise!

You obviously do not and perhaps never will understand the principles of Christianity, and I am not ever likely to explain them to the likes of you. Why should I, you'd only try to mock them, thats your style isn't it?

Perhaps you can explain it. This is something I agree with Markx here. Perhaps there is more to this and you can clarify it for me.

Vienna, But real life is not a video game where you can reset the score and start again. Your mistakes are permanent. The slate cannot be wiped clean.
That applies to everyone on this planet

Like I said, actions taken cannot be taken back. Dealing with mistakes and learning how to deal with them is an important part of real life and reality. It is largely through adversity and difficulties that we learn and grow and gain wisdom.
I agree.

Trying to pretend through religion that we are not really responsible is indefensible and immoral.
Exactly. There are people like this too, total frauds. But on the other hand there are geniune people who take the Lords forgiveness in the correct and most serious way, and they do benefit from it.

Once we accept our own faults and understand that we must take personal responsibility for them helps us better understand others and enables us to help them.
It is only right that what you say is followed, and only then can forgiveness be given.

That’s certainly the claim but it seems more like a sales gimmick in religious indoctrination. It is trying to make people feel there is an escape from their feelings of guilt, but there isn’t. The real lesson in life is accepting responsibility for your actions and knowing that you must live with them. Trying to make them vanish is irresponsible escapism.
It seems that I have a different outlook to "Forgiveness". Jesus's death at the cross should never be used as some sort of sales gimmick. I have seen chick tracts and such, they are so degrading so I am not suprised you called it a sales gimmick.

There is always guilt when forgiveness is given, without guilt there is no forgiveness. Forgiveness is not there to ease the pain of guilt , forgiveness is from the Lord, which contributes to your continuation on your path as a Christian. It is not a case of "plunk plink fizz" have a couple of tablets, "there there now you will feel better". This couldn't be further from the truth

I understand what you mean perfectly, but is has no meaning neither it is useful for dealing with reality or how humanity must learn to deal with their problems in a responsible manner. Giving up their responsibilities to a fantasy god keeps mankind from socially evolving.
Giving up responsibilities is not the issue, just because you are forgiven, it doesn't take away the self punishing guilt away in a flash, you have to learn from it.

Forgiveness is not what is needed; the idea is over simplistic and rather infantile. The issue is how to come to terms with past mistakes and to take full responsibility for future actions.
Forgiveness has always been over simplistic and infantile, (Thats probably why He is called Our Father, we are His children.) How to come to terms with past mistakes is something everyone in the world has to face, we all make them. Forgiveness is not a pardon, it is not an excuse to go out and kill another person or any other wrong doing, forgiveness is a stepping stone to help along the path and life of a Christian.

Interestingly this is the primary issue within the Church of Scientology (the L Ron Hubbard religion). They label such issues as psychological engrams and help their adherents ‘clear’ such inhibitions. I spent some time researching them about 3 years ago; I have of course since been permanently expelled – it seemed I asked too many questions. But some of the principles they have identified are quite sound.
Wow, expelled eh?
What on earth do they want you to do, just sit there and say nothing. No one gets anywhere without asking questions.

]It is not a weight but a reminder of reality and responsibility. Christians try to avoid both.
True Christians do not avoid reality and responsibility, these are (amongst others) qualities which jesus preached.

Cris, I must add that I do not believe I can be a Christian myself although my preferences in Faith point towards Jesus. I have so many doubts, I have lost my temper with God, I have ridiculed the idea of Jesus myself,. But sooner or later it all comes back again and it all makes sense. I stopped going to church, I learned nothing there. In fact I have learned more from the internet than I could ever wish for. I don't agree with everything in the Bible, it is just like any other book of faith it is riddled with errors. But I took my time and read it, and I took from it the most meaningful passages. Tailor made eh? Sort of.

:)

Originally posted by Vienna
Please think before you answer.

Likewise!

You obviously do not and perhaps never will understand the principles of Christianity, and I am not ever likely to explain them to the likes of you. Why should I, you'd only try to mock them, thats your style isn't it?

I haven't mock your religion YET. When I will, you won't stay here very long. So, it has been you, who shows you illiteracy and ignorance about Islam. Do you want me Mock christianity?? Do you want me start acting like YOU? A total ignorant? I don't think it will help any one. However you think that mocking Islam is helping you getting your frustration out or something like that.:rolleyes:

Back