Britons are suspicious towards Muslims, study finds

Mrs.Lucysnow

Valued Senior Member
More than half the population would be strongly opposed to a mosque being built in their neighbourhood, the study found.

A large proportion of the country believes that the multicultural experiment has failed, with 52 per cent considering that Britain is deeply divided along religious lines and 45 per cent saying that religious diversity has had a negative impact.

Only a quarter of Britons feel positive towards Muslims, while more than a third report feeling “cool” towards them.

The findings, to be published later this month in the respected British Social Attitudes Survey, show that far greater opposition to Islam than to any other faith and reveal that most people are willing to limit freedom of speech in an attempt to silence religious extremists.

David Voas, professor of population studies at Manchester University, who analysed the data, said that people were becoming intolerant towards all religions because of “the degree to which Islam is perceived as a threat to social cohesion”.

He said: “Muslims deserve to be the focus of policy on social cohesion, because no other group elicits so much disquiet.”

The “size and visibility” of Islamic communities has led to serious concerns about their impact on British society, Prof Voas concludes.
“This apparent threat to national identity (or even, some fear, to security) reduces the willingness to accommodate free expression.
“Opinion is divided, and many people remain tolerant of unpopular speech as well as distinctive dress and religious behaviour, but a large segment of the

British population is unhappy about these subcultures.”
Researchers interviewed 4,486 people for the survey, which is published annually by the National Centre for Social Research. They found that respondents with no qualifications were twice as likely to have negative attitudes towards Muslims as with those who had degrees.

The report describes a high level of unease regarding the UK’s Muslim population, estimated at around two million, with many people considering that it poses a threat to the nation’s identity.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/new...e-suspicious-towards-Muslims-study-finds.html

I don't believe this poll would have turned out the way it did if there were some way to have religious muslims properly integrated into British society, the threat of terrorism also doesn't help. I believe that the religious who separate themselves are held in suspicion not people from particular nations. Is it possible or even ethical to attempt to integrate religious muslims immigrants even if it means they have to change their traditions?

If we don't address this there will be more and more polls reflecting similar attitudes throughout Europe.

I don't believe this poll would have turned out the way it did if there were some way to have religious muslims properly integrated into British society, the threat of terrorism also doesn't help. I believe that the religious who separate themselves are held in suspicion not people from particular nations. Is it possible or even ethical to attempt to integrate religious muslims immigrants even if it means they have to change their traditions?

If we don't address this there will be more and more polls reflecting similar attitudes throughout Europe.

And it's not just the UK/Europe. It's a growing trend in every nation that isn't already predominately Muslim.

The biggest single factor isn't religion at all - it's that the conservative, traditional Muslims are not making enough effort to root out and eliminate their extremist sub-culture.

That's why people are becoming distrustful of them. If they see one walking down the street towards them, there's no way to tell if he is peaceful or a terrorist pretending to be peaceful. And with the fear that the bad ones have instilled in societies, people are starting to always suspect the worst.

Back to the religion and culture side of things: Apparently, there isn't any way to integrate them into any other existing culture. There are distinct differences that appear insurmountable. Insistence on living apart in distinct groups is just one of them - blending cannot happen when there is insistence on being separated.

I'd be very interested to see what others think about this.

The survey reflects my own instinct too.
I feel that British Muslims are the least integrated of our immigrant populations

I believe that they are the least successful financially, and educationally among our new cultures, and that they are most likely to live in poorer areas.
The terrorism connection, whether justified or not, hasn't helped either.

Perhaps I am wrong. Tell me.

As for it being a multicultural experiment, that's a done deed.
We have multiculturalism. They are all British Citizens.

We had a large influx of Polish people after Poland joined the EU, but they caused little resentment.
Probably due to the fact that they are ethnically very little different from the English population, and also that they spread themselves around instead of living together in large groups.

We have been lucky with some of our other Batches of immigrants.
When Idi Amin expelled the Asians from Uganda, we inherited some of the best business people his country possessed.

If we had had the moral courage to take in large numbers of Germany's Jews in the 1930s, we would be a far better country today.

The survey reflects my own instinct too.
I feel that British Muslims are the least integrated of our immigrant populations

I believe that they are the least successful financially, and educationally among our new cultures, and that they are most likely to live in poorer areas.
The terrorism connection, whether justified or not, hasn't helped either.

Perhaps I am wrong. Tell me.

As for it being a multicultural experiment, that's a done deed.
We have multiculturalism. They are all British Citizens.

We had a large influx of Polish people after Poland joined the EU, but they caused little resentment.
Probably due to the fact that they are ethnically very little different from the English population, and also that they spread themselves around instead of living together in large groups.

We have been lucky with some of our other Batches of immigrants.
When Idi Amin expelled the Asians from Uganda, we inherited some of the best business people his country possessed.

If we had had the moral courage to take in large numbers of Germany's Jews in the 1930s, we would be a far better country today.

You are wrong mate, very wrong. I guess you are entitled to splutter the non sense you speak, but please back up your statements "they are the least successful financially, and educationally among our new cultures, and that they are most likely to live in poorer areas." statistically, don't speak out of ignorance.

You are wrong mate, very wrong. I guess you are entitled to splutter the non sense you speak, but please back up your statements "they are the least successful financially, and educationally among our new cultures, and that they are most likely to live in poorer areas." statistically, don't speak out of ignorance.

Then please present EVIDENCE to the contrary (if you can!).

Is the Muslim community less financially successful than the West Indian Community? Id be very suprised if they were.

Is the Muslim community less financially successful than the West Indian Community? Id be very suprised if they were.

To be fair to me, I did say instinct. What I feel rather than what I have facts to confirm.
I've been trying to find some facts, but they are very sparse.
Perhaps there is a problem with political correctness when people make a study of this.

@Lyndriette
"Splutter", That's really insulting!

Last edited:
Perhaps there is a problem with political correctness when people make a study of this.
I think I remember some studies though, based on census data.

Ones that showed for example, that Indians were more likely to have satellite television, or live in areas where house prices were higher than the average, than those from Bangladeshi or Pakistani communities. Theres got to be similar comparisons with African-Carribean as well as native communities.

Last edited:
If I'm wrong please tell me.
And the facts are:..............?

Their patriotism suspect to you! Hear your self, precieving Muslims for what a few have done and speaking out of ignorance might be your first option, the deep-rooted bigotry the likes of you possess! *shakes head*.

READ ONLY: Evidence for the contrary? To his proclaimation "They are the least succesful financially", I suppose implied to employment, 62% of british muslims are employed, Most muslims I know are well educated. The injustice and discrimination people possess based on someones faith and what few have done is shocking. SMH!

To be fair to me, I did say instinct. What I feel rather than what I have facts to confirm.

I would agree with that. Some things are simply taboo from a "pc" perspective. Gotta be careful to not offend *anyone*. Sheesh!!!

I think I remember some studies though, based on census data.

Ones that showed for example, that Indians were more likely to have satellite television, or live in areas where house prices were higher than the average, than those from Bangladeshi or Pakistani communities. Theres got to be similar comparisons with African-Carribean as well as native communities.

They won't do it, Pinwheel, because they are afraid of racist nitwits who will jump on any evidence of ethnic community problems as a sign of race inferiority.

In doing so, they are ignoring real problems.

For example, the difficulty of people in many British Muslim communities to escape the poor housing and low expectation into which they are born.

They won't do it, Pinwheel, because they are afraid of racist nitwits who will jump on any evidence of ethnic community problems as a sign of race inferiority.

In doing so, they are ignoring real problems.

For example, the difficulty of people in many British Muslim communities to escape the poor housing and low expectation into which they are born.

Again, do you have any evidence that "Many" British Muslims reside in poor communities?

Their patriotism suspect to you! Hear your self, precieving Muslims for what a few have done and speaking out of ignorance might be your first option, the deep-rooted bigotry the likes of you possess! *shakes head*.

READ ONLY: Evidence for the contrary? To his proclaimation "They are the least succesful financially", I suppose implied to employment, 62% of british muslims are employed, Most muslims I know are well educated. The injustice and discrimination people possess based on someones faith and what few have done is shocking. SMH!

I asked for EVIDENCE - and you just talking certainly isn't that. Show us a link to a reliable source that provides employment, education and financial levels. Either that or just shut up and go away. Simply talking proves nothing.

Again, do you have any evidence that "Many" British Muslims reside in poor communities?
They do! And they tend to live together in large groups, which compounds the problem.

From Wiki

The local authorities with a Muslim population greater than 10 percent were, as of 2001:
London Borough of Tower Hamlets 36.4% 71,389
London Borough of Newham 24.3% 59,293
Blackburn with Darwen 19.4% 26,674
City of Bradford 16.1% 75,188
London Borough of Waltham Forest 15.1% 32,902
Luton 14.6% 26,963
Birmingham 14.3% 139,771
London Borough of Hackney 13.8% 27,908
Pendle 13.4% 11,988
Slough 13.4% 15,897
London Borough of Brent 12.3% 32,290
London Borough of Redbridge 11.9% 28,487
City of Westminster 11.8% 21,346
London Borough of Camden 11.6% 22,906
London Borough of Haringey 11.3% 24,371
Metropolitan Borough of Oldham 11.1% 24,039
Leicester 11.0% 30,885
London Borough of Ealing 10.3% 31,033
Kirklees 10.1% 39,312

Honestly. you are just sticking your head in the sand.
Take Birmingham. Yes there are prosperous areas, but where do most of the Muslims live?

Muslims in UK. School Report.
Could do better.
Need more attention.

Last edited:
The perception of poor communities is also quite interesting. I have many occasions (as a tradesman) visited what appeared to be "poor" asian communites, ie close terraced housing with rubbish streets and what looked like rundown areas. Yet the moment you walk through the door and into the living room, the difference was stark. Clean homes, well fitted kitchens and, large TV + Sky, generally well decorated homes. Im constantly amazed how stark the difference between inside and outside is. Its a bit like a reasonably well off person wearing scruffy clothes all the time.

Last edited:
I was thinking the other day about how societies collapse in on themselves.

Africa has a few recent examples, but it's not just Africa and nothing new. But sometimes you'll run across a report of a person whose neighbors, people they'd lived next to for many many years, they were suddenly turned on and put to the sword. Neighbors murdering Neighbors. Citizens turning on one another. Everyone seems so surprised. Shocked. How could it be? Yeah, good question. How? We should find out because it happens. IMO if you keep teaching your kids that the neighbors belief is corrupted and not to take them as friends and that they'll burn in hell (God forbid your daughter date one - oh no), well, when shit hits the fan, don't be so surprised when that neighbor comes over and kills you during the mob riots. It happens over and over historical and I don't think just because we have a high degree of civilization that we're immune to it.

I'm still waiting on the mega-Mosque to be built down town Londonstan. I want to see how it affects British psyche.

On a side note, I posted a poll once here: people from which religion would you least like to see migrate to your country - Muslims won that one. Then I posted a poll people form which religion wouldn't you mind migrating the least, and I believe Buddhist won that one.

What GOOD does the ideology of Islam offer the English? Anything? Is there any improvement at all on British society that Islam can offer? What about regression? Are there any tenants in Islam that regress British society? If there's nothing good and a lot of bad - WHY KEEP IT?

We could ask the same of Christianity and Judaism really.

Last edited:
What about regression? Are there any tenants in Islam that regress British society?

Yes, there are two big ones. They do not want you to progress nor enjoy life as you would choose to.

And also, they would attempt to place many restrictions on what you consider your freedoms.

What’s the likelihood of the average Briton dying as a result of Islamic terrorism versus dying as a result of being bashed/knifed by an Anglo skinhead? I’ll wager the latter is much more likely than the former.

Back