Is the Bible reliable

• Uncertain

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

• Parts of it . I am a christian

• Total voters
Gospel of Barnabas was not God-inspired, so therefore, could not be included in the Bible. If you believe that the Bible is absolute truth, then you also take on, in faith, that what you need to know about God and how to conduct your life is in the Bible, and what you don't need to know isn't. It takes faith to believe in God.

Some one who said no, and your a christian, perhaps you could explain why to me.

Enigma'07 said:
Gospel of Barnabas was not God-inspired, so therefore, could not be included in the Bible. If you believe that the Bible is absolute truth, then you also take on, in faith, that what you need to know about God and how to conduct your life is in the Bible, and what you don't need to know isn't. It takes faith to believe in God.

Some one who said no, and your a christian, perhaps you could explain why to me.

Well then you are saying that The Council of Nicea whom decided what would be in the bible must had been God inspired because they are the ones who took out the Gospel of Barnabas. I understand having faith but God also gave humans common sense(no disrespect towards you :) ) and the gospels werent written by a single person who knew Jesus(saws) only paul he claimed to have met Jesus(saws) in a dream no seriously tell me would you believe a disciple who walked with Jesus or a man who made a living persecuting Jews then claimed to have a dream saying Jesus(saws) came to him. Now im not saying that couldnt happen however if you even look at what paul preached it was different than what Jesus taught. Jesus taught not to eat pork....paul said it was ok.......Jesus taught to worship God......Paul said you had to believe in the trinity......me point being that God said he wasnt "the author of confusion" so why did everything get so confused after paul's "conversion"?.....peace

Surenderer, don't worry about being direspectful, I enjoy hearing what people think about the topic. :) You confused me a little bit with the part about who wrote the gospels.

Yes I do believe that God inspired the council as to what books to include. The gospels were written by four people, all of whom were diciples of Jesus. The trinity is a difficult thing to understand. I don't fully understand it myself, but I'll see what I can explain. THe Hebrew word for God is Elohim. It has a meaning of an all powerfull being, but it is in the plural; it is refering to the Father, Son, and Spirit. the trinity thefefore, in infact the same as God. Jesus taught that if you followed him, he would provide you with eternal life. this is then saying, if you follow Jesus, who is God, you will be saved! Before Jesus died, the law had to be followed to atone for sin. after Jesus died (when Paul was preaching) the law was no longer required. Jesus was the atonement. People get confused because there were alot of changes. Put it plainly, God is not the author of confusion, Satan is. He wants to mislead people, and confusion is one way of doing that. Paul wrote several letters to the new churches and this is because they were getting confused, so the letters explained more to them.

Does this make sense?

surenderer said:
Well then you are saying that The Council of Nicea whom decided what would be in the bible must had been God inspired because ...
This is ignorance run amok. The Council of Nicea made no such decision. The Canons voted on at Nicea are available here.

Of course, if it is all proven true, then there's no need for faith. So, while those who don't believe will come to believe and say, "Oh...Ok. Cool. It's true. Whaddayaknow?" And the ones who already DO believe will now suddenly be that much less special because faith is now out of the picture. So the world will be full of faithless believers. What's the point in that?

I think it's only some sort of smug potential for a big ol' hardy-hardy-har-har that makes some believers really hope everything is true so they can jam in into the faces of the skeptics. If that's the case, their faith is weak, indeed. It's as if, deep down, they have to make everyone else believe in order to shore up their own belief ... It can't really be true unless everyone believes it. Like when you buy something and find out later that that item is considered by everyone to have ever reviewed it to be the best made, and if you bought it, you made a great choice and are, obviously, a smart shopper.

Enigma'07 said:
Surenderer, don't worry about being direspectful, I enjoy hearing what people think about the topic. :) You confused me a little bit with the part about who wrote the gospels.

Yes I do believe that God inspired the council as to what books to include. The gospels were written by four people, all of whom were diciples of Jesus. The trinity is a difficult thing to understand. I don't fully understand it myself, but I'll see what I can explain. THe Hebrew word for God is Elohim. It has a meaning of an all powerfull being, but it is in the plural; it is refering to the Father, Son, and Spirit. the trinity thefefore, in infact the same as God. Jesus taught that if you followed him, he would provide you with eternal life. this is then saying, if you follow Jesus, who is God, you will be saved! Before Jesus died, the law had to be followed to atone for sin. after Jesus died (when Paul was preaching) the law was no longer required. Jesus was the atonement. People get confused because there were alot of changes. Put it plainly, God is not the author of confusion, Satan is. He wants to mislead people, and confusion is one way of doing that. Paul wrote several letters to the new churches and this is because they were getting confused, so the letters explained more to them.

Does this make sense?

yes i understand what you are saying but what about the people who died before Jesus? how did they recieve atonement? Didnt Jesus say he didnt come to change any laws? he said he came to confirm the laws of Moses right? then why did it all change after he died? If the gospels were all inspired by God then why dont they match? One says Judas hung himself (matthew 27:1-5) another said he died from a fall (acts 1: 15-18) they both cant be right can they? and if not which one? if Jesus was a part of the trinity did he know he was going to die? then why on the cross did he ask "why have thou forsaken me"? would a God ask that? thats not the devil's doing that what you are saying God inspired man to write. What about Isiah 43:10 and 46:9 and 44 6-8 these verses dont claim trinity.......peace

"One says Judas hung himself (matthew 27:1-5) another said he died from a fall (acts 1: 15-18) they both cant be right can they"

Good questions! Most schollars take this to mean that he hung himself from from a tree, and eventually the rope broke, and his body burst open exposing his entrails. Acts doesn't say that he died from a fall, just that he did fall. Just a side note, Acts isn't conidered a gospel, only Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John are.

Acts 1:18
(Now this man acquired a field with the price of his wickedness, and falling headlong, he burst open in the middle and all his intestines gushed out.(NAS)

In the old testament times, in order to be saved, people were faithful to God, by sacrificing to him and following the Old Testament rules. Jesus was the ultimate sacrifice, so after He died, all people had to do was trust in Jesus for forgivment. Now the reason we don't go around intentionaly lying and stealing is because we want to show God how greatful we are of Him saving us.

Jesus knew that He was going to die, it was not something He wanted to do, and yet He did it willingly becuase it was His Father's will. At that moment on the cross, Jesus became all the sin of the world. Because of that, God could not look upon Him, for God is holy and sin is not. Jesus was with God all the time, and now His Father turned His face away, and Jesus hadn't done any thing wrong. It was utter torment for Him, yet he knew it must be done so that humans could have fellowship with God.

John 16:19
...'A little while, and you will not see Me, and a little while, and you will see Me'(NAS)

Luke 22:42,44
saying," Father if you are willing, remove this cup from Me; yet not my will, but Yours be done." And being in agony He was praying very fervently; and His sweat became like drops of blood, falling down upon the ground.(NAS)

The word trinity, is formed when you combine the words tri and unity. It's kind of like saying a horse has a head, a body, and a tail, but it's still one horse. It is a difficult thing to comprehend, I know.

Does this make sense?

surenderer said:
ConsequentAtheist said:
surenderer said:
Well then you are saying that The Council of Nicea whom decided what would be in the bible must had been God inspired because ...
This is ignorance run amok. The Council of Nicea made no such decision. The Canons voted on at Nicea are available here.
http://mb-soft.com/believe/txc/nicaea.htm

Fool! Did you understand any of what you read in the cited text? Did you even bother to read it?

Please show us where http://mb-soft.com/believe/txc/nicaea.htm suggests that the "Council of Nicea ... decided what would be in the bible".

Enigma'07 said:
Consequent Athiest:
I DO have access to Hebrew/ Greek texts. I can go to a christian book store and find a Greek New Testament, or Hebrew Old testament. I can email my pastor and he can provide me with them. It's not really hard to find, just takes some time to understand if you don't know the language your reading very well.

Dreamwalker:
I think christianity is more than a cult. There has to be something more to it if people are willing to die for it, and not just a few; thousands of them,and all through history. Do you agree somewhat? The Bible was written by 40+ authors, on 3 continants, in 3 differant langauges, over a span of 1,500 years. Yet through all this, the Bible constantly maintains a theme of Gog's redemption of mankind. Taken all of the above, it seems highly unlikely that this text could be commposed and believed and read today, unless you credit a supernatural being with inspiring the work. Or you could come to the conclusion that this book is radom texts jumbled together, which in my mind doesn't seem very likely.

SouthStar:
Your right! Having something inspired and having something dictated are two seperate things. But if you look at what the word inspirated means in the Bible, it is shown that this was a supernatural event. It's not just guys saying: I think this is how this event occured or this sounds good, lets write it down. It was the Holy Spirit guiding them leading them, saying you need to share this with other people. That's why the differant books sound slightly differant. Each was written by people of differant walks of life. David was a king. Luke was a doctor. those were educated people. And then there's people like Jonh and James. They were fishermen. They didn't have much education. I think it just all adds to the uniquness of the Bible.

Goodness gracious! :bugeye:

Somebody actually agreed with me on the first try.. :D

Medicine Woman said:
M*W: There are so many discrepancies in the Bible that they are too numerous to list here. This subject has been rehashed many times on this forum. Even if some events may have been historically true, how does one determine that the spiritual truths are infallible? There's no way to do that. Paul commissioned Luke to write a gospel. Luke and Paul were close associates. In fact, the gospel of Luke does not mean it was written by Luke. Paul also had Luke write the Acts. There is no proof of any of it. Please explain what you mean by "scrutinized and tested numerous times and by whom?

I will write a few quotes from McDowell's book, More Than A Carpenter.

"By the twentieth century, however, archaeological discoveries had confirmed the accuracy of the New Testament manuscripts. Discoveries of early papyri manuscripts (the John Ryland manuscript, A.D. 130; the Chester Beatty Papyri, A.D. 155; and the Bodmer Papyri II, A.D. 200) bridged the gap between the time of Christ and existing manuscripts from a later data."

Sir Williams Ramsay, regarded as one of the greatest archaeologists ever to have lived paid little attention initiallity to the New Testament in his research on the history of Asia Minor. He was however forced to conclude after investigation that "Luke is a historian of the first rank...this author should be placed along with the very greatest of historians." Because of the accuracy of the most minute detail, Ramsay finally conceded that Acts could not be a second-century document but was rather a mid-first-century account.

The New Testament and Oral Tradition
Simon Kristemaker, professor of Bible at Dordt College, writes: "Normally, the accumulation of folklore among people of primitive culture takes many generations; it is a gradual process spread over centuries of time. But in conformity with the thinking of the form critic, we must conclude that the Gospel stories were produced and collected within little more than one generation. In terms of the form-critical approach, the formation of the individual Gospel units must be understood as a telescoped project with accelerated course of action."

A careful at 1 Corinthians 7:10, 12, 25 shows the careful preservation and the existence of a genuine tradition of recording these words. In the Jewish religion it was customary for a student to memorize a rabbi's teaching. A good pupil was like "a plastered cistern that loses not a drop" (Mishna, Aboth, ii, 8)

When it comes to the manuscript authority of the New Testament, the abundance of material is almost embarassing in contarst. After the early papyri manuscript discoveries that bridged the gap between the times of Christ and the second century, an abundance of other MSS came to light. Over 20,000 copies of New Testament manuscripts are in existence today. The Illiad has 643 MSS and is second in manuscript authority after the New Testament.

Caesar composed his history of the Gallic Wars between 58 and 50 B.C. and its manuscript authority rests on nine or ten copies dating 1,000 years after his death.

Aristotle wrote his poetics around 343 B.C. and yet the earliest copy we have is dated A.D. 1100, nearly a 1400 year-gap, and only five MSS are in existence.

The history of Thucydides (560-400 B.C.) is available to us from just eight MSS dated about A.D. 900, almost 1300 years after he wrote. The MSS of the history of Herodotus are likewise late and scarce, and yet, as F.F. Bruce concludes, No classical scholar would listen to an argument that the authenticity of Herodotus or Thucydides is in doubt because the earliest manuscripts of their works which are of use to us are over 1,300 years later than the originals."

The New Testament Greek scholar J. Harold Greenlee adds: "Since scholars accept as generally trustworthy the writings fo the ancient classics even though the earliest MSS were written so long after the original writings and the number of extant MSS in many instanes so small, it is clear that the reliability of the New Testament is likewise assured."

--------------

By now my hands hurt from typing so much. I hope your doubts about the New Testaments' historicity are now quelled. Remember, the historical reliability of the Scripture should be tested by the SAME criteria that all historical documents are tested by.

Enigma'07 said:
"One says Judas hung himself (matthew 27:1-5) another said he died from a fall (acts 1: 15-18) they both cant be right can they"

Good questions! Most schollars take this to mean that he hung himself from from a tree, and eventually the rope broke, and his body burst open exposing his entrails. Acts doesn't say that he died from a fall, just that he did fall. Just a side note, Acts isn't conidered a gospel, only Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John are.

Acts 1:18
(Now this man acquired a field with the price of his wickedness, and falling headlong, he burst open in the middle and all his intestines gushed out.(NAS)

In the old testament times, in order to be saved, people were faithful to God, by sacrificing to him and following the Old Testament rules. Jesus was the ultimate sacrifice, so after He died, all people had to do was trust in Jesus for forgivment. Now the reason we don't go around intentionaly lying and stealing is because we want to show God how greatful we are of Him saving us.

Does this make sense?

Thought this might prove interesting:

The key to understanding what Luke wanted us to understand is found in the following passage:

“And no one pours new wine into old wineskins. If he does, the new wine will burst the skins, the wine will run out and the wineskins will be ruined.” (Luke 5:37)

Old skins cannot expand to accommodate the gases released from still-fermenting new fine, while new ones are still elastic enough to accommodate the release of gas. Luke was expecting his readers would see that Judas was holding on to the old law, the old way of thinking, and was unable to accommodate the new teachings of Jesus; thus, the Judas with the old ideas burst open just as does an old wineskin filled with new wine. Luke clearly never meant for his readers to take his description of Judas literally.

The only place in the New Testament (NIV) where the words "burst" are used are in the three parallel verses dealing with wineskins, and the one place in the rest of the New Testament where the word is used to describe what happened to Judas. Here are the references:

Matthew 9:17 Neither do men pour new wine into old wineskins. If they do, the skins will burst, the wine will run out and the wineskins will be ruined. No, they pour new wine into new wineskins, and both are preserved."

Mark 2:22 And no one pours new wine into old wineskins. If he does, the wine will burst the skins, and both the wine and the wineskins will be ruined. No, he pours new wine into new wineskins."

Luke 5:37 And no one pours new wine into old wineskins. If he does, the new wine will burst the skins, the wine will run out and the wineskins will be ruined.

Acts 1:18 Acts 1 Acts 1:17-19 (With the reward he got for his wickedness, Judas bought a field; there he fell headlong, his body burst open and all his intestines spilled out.

This is not a coincidence, I believe; Luke is telling us in Acts that just as old wineskins burst when new wine is poured into them, so did the one with old ideas and beliefs (Judas) "burst" when new teachings (from Jesus) tried to enter him.

How Did Judas Die?

I don't think the wineskins relate to Judas as much as they do to the Pharasees, John's diciples and the rigid rules they follow. In context, the paragraph relates to the Pharasees asking why Jesus and His disciples didn't fast (in preperation of the coming Messiah). Jesus resopnds by saying that if your heart is hardend like like the old wineskins you will never be able to fully "hold" God's truth.

Thankfully though, they don't have to compeat over who's dumbest since you've already filled that position. :D

Enigma'07 said:
The Bible is NOT "the directly dictated word of God"

Yes it is, if you believe what the Bible says is true.
II Timothy 3:16
"All scripture is inspired by God and profitable for teachimg, for reproof, for correction, for training in righteousness."
II Peter 1:21
"For no prophecy was ever made by an act of human will, but men moved by the Holy Spirit spoke from God"
That's true. Also from what I've understood the prophets used friends to write down the insights that they got, I guess because it would be hard to keep the concentration if they had to write down everything themselves.

I think the prophets were very careful that what was written actually was what they had experianced, to keep it true. But of course there might have been some mistakes, but the general message is still there, the exact facts aren't as important as the message of the facts. If it says "110 men" in one place and "112 men" in another place, it doesn't matter that much, it doesn't change the message into something else.

I am intrigued by the fact that the Bible has survived this long, and that some books of it wasn't found as late as the 1950's.

Back