Bible versions

water said:
Think any other way and we fool ourselves.
No. I don't see how you can come to that conclusion.

Is thinking like an atomist wrong? If not, then there is no reason to think any other way. (Don't bash my logic: I'm right because I'm right)

You are making a strawman.

On second thoughts you are right. But that doesn't make us any less hypocrite. I wrote about identity in my theory too so you'll have to wait. Stop thinking ahead of me!

We define intelligent and then say we are intelligent. We define free and then say we are free.
No, not at all. Where did you get this from?!

People make up words don't they? Remember, from the other thread, 'free' and 'intelligent' have nothing to do with reality. Just like the word 'mountain' is stiff and trite, just like the word 'exciting' is boring, words have nothing to do with reality. Shameful caricatures, they are.

There is nothing false about that position. Better to be honest than to be an arbitrary hypocrite.
So to you, "to learn" equals "being an arbitrary hypocrite"?
What should people be then? Gods? Robots?

I would feel better if people weren't so convinced they were logical and someone else was illogical. As long as you are thinking in a circle, there is no such superiority.

It's the same thing as above: school's punishing the student who does not grasp a concept that may be discarded the next day, churches claiming truth when 'God' is an empty word that has changed more times than life on earth.

What irks me the most is when people claim 'objective facts' have some sort of superiority. If that is not the most circular reasoning available then I don't know what is. Objective information, like words, has nothing to do with reality. It is a gross distortion. You can tell me every chemical property of the human body and that is still a huge misrepresentation of it.

Since they are all misrepresentations and circular, there is no reason to put down another person.

While some people certainly do that, I do not think this is a good way.
It is tailoring god in accordance with your own desires -- but such a god then cannot forgive, save, and most certainly not create the world.

Is there any other way to know Him? Apart from what we fashion Him to be?
Such a task is as impossible as sifting the Jesus of history from the Jesus of religion.

Because we are hypocrites.
Huh. You surely think all the worst of people and life, don't you?

I'm only here to bring sunshine.

It is better than finding some arbitrary middle. Optimism never changed reality.

That is the point of religion. To be circular and self referential.
No. What you are saying is a possible inference to religious tradition, surely. But we don't claim that religious tradition is an example one ought to look up to in every aspect.

The only other thing we can look to is what we make of things. And what we think is arbitrary, circular, and certainly not logical. No better than religious tradition.

The Bible is true because it correctly claims Jesus is God. Jesus is God because the Bible says He is God.

Straight from the mouth of Jenyar:

What authority, infallibility and inerrancy refer to is the fact that we can trust God for His words and their validity. It means recognizing God's authority.​

Note how instead of providing some precedent for assuming God's word really is God's, he proceeds to go around in a circle and appeal to God's authority.

This is the hateful arbitrariness I spoke of. Define what is and what isn't God's word is and then say, "Aha! This is written by God!"

No, there's more to say about this.
The problem is that those people who have become rigid in their thinking in general, believe that anyone who "thinks for himself" opposes them.
"Thinking for yourself" has become synonymous to "rebelling" -- which is not true.

The man who thinks for himself and realizes that society has no right to arbitrarily impress laws upon him is labeled a criminal for 'rebelling'.

Religion obviously breeds ignorance.
No, this is a non-sequitur.

How can any circular system not breed ignorance?

You could say the same for any established ideology or "cult" or "movement".
It is about country-club mentality, elitism and power struggles.
The actual verbalized arguments are just a surface, and are just a medium in which those power struggles are carried out.

I think it is foolish to approach such people with well-thought-out arguments. They are not there to defend their religious belief, they are there to defend their social, hierarchical etc. position. It is just that instead of using swords and fire, or bombs, they use words.

I hope Jenyar is listening to truth.

If you want to believe it, you will believe it. If you want it to make sense to you, it will make sense. If you want to see Him, you will see Him.
No, not really. There is more to be said about this, see the hiccups thread
(Grand! We have the Gödel thread, the can we thinkthread, and the hiccup thread!)

True, true, true. But I know why this is, my theory explains it. If only you would stop thinking ahead of me!

Certain religious traditions certainly act as closed systems. But this doesn't mean that this is how it should be, it doesn't mean one has to understand one's own spirituality as a closed system.

EVERYTHING you know is in a circle. Your own spirituality is in a circle. Therefore it is a closed system. You will always view spiritual things through an arbitrary, circular lens.

No, I'm not thinking of that cheap and selective adaptation of science into religion.
Please go back to the Urdu metaphor.
My point is that unless you live your faith, your faith will be a closed system, deaf and mute.
But in order to live your faith, you must first see if it makes sense to have that faith at all, if you have evidence to support your faith.
And for what is worth, you do can gather evidence that it makes sense, for example, that love and trust do matter in people's lives.

If you had evidence then it wouldn't be faith, it would be knowledge. Seeing "if it makes sense" to have faith in something is wonderfully arbitrary and the reason for your conclusion will definitely be circular. That strikes me as a closed system.

You do, yes! I just wonder what exacly it is that you believe in, and why.

I believe, the quest for truth is futile.

SouthStar said:
Is thinking like an atomist wrong? If not, then there is no reason to think any other way. (Don't bash my logic: I'm right because I'm right)

It's not wrong to think like an atomist. But thinking like an atomist gives you a lesser advantage to orientate yourself in the realm of knowledge -- in comparison to the advantage that, say, holism gives you.
In this regard, atomism is not as economical as some other approaches.

On second thoughts you are right. But that doesn't make us any less hypocrite. I wrote about identity in my theory too so you'll have to wait. Stop thinking ahead of me!

Huh. I think the time difference between us is some 10 hrs or so, I have GMT +1. Hm. Am I thinking ahead of you?

People make up words don't they? Remember, from the other thread, 'free' and 'intelligent' have nothing to do with reality. Just like the word 'mountain' is stiff and trite, just like the word 'exciting' is boring, words have nothing to do with reality. Shameful caricatures, they are.

I don't see why one would compare a real mountain to the word "mountain" -- compare their realities.

I don't even know how to go about such a comparison. For what is a moutain? Is a mountain that which I can see in the distance if I look out of my window? Or is that on top of which I sometimes stand? The experience of those two are not the same at all. Not to mention all othe rmountains.

I would feel better if people weren't so convinced they were logical and someone else was illogical. As long as you are thinking in a circle, there is no such superiority.

It's the same thing as above: school's punishing the student who does not grasp a concept that may be discarded the next day, churches claiming truth when 'God' is an empty word that has changed more times than life on earth.

What irks me the most is when people claim 'objective facts' have some sort of superiority. If that is not the most circular reasoning available then I don't know what is. Objective information, like words, has nothing to do with reality. It is a gross distortion. You can tell me every chemical property of the human body and that is still a huge misrepresentation of it.

Since they are all misrepresentations and circular, there is no reason to put down another person.

I can understand that.

In the old days, people felt superior because they belonged to a higher caste.
Nowadays, when human equality is officially proclaimed and sanctioned, it is unthinkable that someone should say "I am superior because I am richer than you" (not that people don't act on this).

The hierarchical fights are now being fought in the sphere of knowledge (" ") and facts (" "), not in the sphere of material possessions or familial descent.

Is there any other way to know Him? Apart from what we fashion Him to be?

There is always the possibility of divine intervention.

But imagine the humility it takes to accept this solution!

The only other thing we can look to is what we make of things. And what we think is arbitrary, circular, and certainly not logical. No better than religious tradition.

It's the human condition.

Straight from the mouth of Jenyar:

What authority, infallibility and inerrancy refer to is the fact that we can trust God for His words and their validity. It means recognizing God's authority.

Note how instead of providing some precedent for assuming God's word really is God's, he proceeds to go around in a circle and appeal to God's authority.

This is the hateful arbitrariness I spoke of. Define what is and what isn't God's word is and then say, "Aha! This is written by God!"

I understand how this can be understood as circular, and without invoking another system, it certainly is circular.

The way I see it, the precedent for assuming God's word really is God's, is in experience that can confirm or deny the hypothesis that what is said to be God's word is God's word.

It is a two-way induction: You set up an explanation that allows you to see the very evidence on which this explanation is based. This is technically circular, but in practice, it isn't.

One of the more famous examples is Descartes reconceptualization of movement. In his times, it was believed that the way a bullet or an arrow move, once shot, is the same as they way a carriage or running man move. Their speed is greatest some time after the beginning of the course; movement was regarded as a process in 1630.
But, for some reason, Desi thought that this isn't so, and reconceptualized movement as a state, not as a process anymore. And hence our modern theories of movement.

The old theory was rational in regards to the facts that were known to it. But Desi's theory was rational to the facts that this very theory made possible to see.

The relationship between belief and observation is a two-way inductive process, not a one-way inductive process.

So, to apply this to God and the Bible: I have a certain present theory that I have gathered from reading the Bible and from what I have heard from other people. Something in this theory stinks, to my nose. So I investigate.

Now, if I would be so appalled by this stink, and would thus stop there, I can soon find more than enough reasons to disprove the whole of religion. This is what most popular atheists and non-believers have done. They have given in to the emotional block that emerges when we see that "something doesn't fit".
(This emotional block is common.)

But I am a jolly scientist, and I put a clip on my nose, and I don't get stopped by that emotional block, so I investigate further, and I allow for two-way inductive thinking. I see that a lot of that stink that I can smell comes from religious tradition and practice, and this I have dismissed as being crucial as to what God is anyway. So I can move on.

I take "What authority, infallibility and inerrancy refer to is the fact that we can trust God for His words and their validity. It means recognizing God's authority." as a hypothesis and test it. But the thing is that in order to test it, I would have to actively carry out my recognition of God's authority. How do I do that?

It cannot be completed as a thought experiment. The only way to test it is to actually do it.

You may say it is circular.
But how can we know?

Neither of us has carried out the testing of the hypothesis, so we don't know what the solution will be!!

Desi, before he started to reconceptualize movement, didn't know what it will be that his search and testing would lead to. He didn't know the outcome.

The same, we don't know what the testing of "What authority, infallibility and inerrancy refer to is the fact that we can trust God for His words and their validity. It means recognizing God's authority." will result in.

So we can neither dismiss it, nor approve it.

The only problem with this approach is that it cannot be planned or predicted, and it takes time.

How can any circular system not breed ignorance?

If you can prove that religion is a circular system, yes, then it breeds ignorance.

But what if you have a hunch, like Desi? I am sure that other people in his time also thought that the movement of an arrow and the movement of a running man may not be the same, but they didn't know how to put their doubts in words, how to constructively think about them. But Desi proved, with his own example, that it is possible to reconceptualize, and come to new insights.

You and I both have certain hunches about religion and God. What will we do with those hunches?

You could say the same for any established ideology or "cult" or "movement".
It is about country-club mentality, elitism and power struggles.
The actual verbalized arguments are just a surface, and are just a medium in which those power struggles are carried out.

I think it is foolish to approach such people with well-thought-out arguments. They are not there to defend their religious belief, they are there to defend their social, hierarchical etc. position. It is just that instead of using swords and fire, or bombs, they use words.

I hope Jenyar is listening to truth.

Well, not all religionists have those same hierarchical power struggles in mind.

Jenyar is in another sphere that you and me, and we don't really know what his intentions are. And if we ask him, we'll still translate his words into our understanding, possibly missing *his* understanding.

True, true, true. But I know why this is, my theory explains it. If only you would stop thinking ahead of me!

It is nonsensical to demand of someone to do something that cannot be done deliberately.
:p

EVERYTHING you know is in a circle. Your own spirituality is in a circle. Therefore it is a closed system. You will always view spiritual things through an arbitrary, circular lens.

If we learn, and add, and reconceputalize, then we can't stay in the same circle.

If anything, we are moving from one closed system into another closed system.
Which is a contradiction in terms! For in order to be able to move out of a closed system, the system wasn't really closed, ... or there was some trick at work.

If you had evidence then it wouldn't be faith, it would be knowledge.

It takes faith to accept something as evidence.

Seeing "if it makes sense" to have faith in something is wonderfully arbitrary and the reason for your conclusion will definitely be circular. That strikes me as a closed system.

It is always possible that the observer lacks the insight that the observed has.

What if Jenyar is to us what Desi was to other people of his time?

I believe, the quest for truth is futile.

By this, do you imply that the quest for objective reality is futile?

Excuse me, but can you all get back to bible versions? You really had something going there at first. As there are many versions and I only read and write English (americaneese that is) can we mostly keep with them? Here are a few of my notes about bibles in english.

Most bibles prior to the late 1600’s contained some 80+ books. Several had over a hundred books in them. Today’s bibles of the protestant and catholic religions are separated by the books that are called Apocrypha, and the Deuterocanonicals. Just adding these books brings the total to about 84 books. The Greek orthodox, Russian orthodox and Armenian bibles never took those books out.

Of great interest is the catholic book of Sirach if you want an even greater in-depth knowledge of human nature. Of course the questions asked by an angel of Ezra in the Apocryphal book of 2nd Esdras are interesting since we can only today answer them.

Measure for me fire?
BTU’s are an acceptable measurement.

Measure for me a blast of wind?
With an anemometer.

Call back a day that has gone past.
Would you like that on VHS or DVD?

It was stated that IF we could answer but ONE of these questions we could begin to understand about God. The sovereign of the universe. :eek:

Just a few thoughts on the topic of which bible, I say study ALL you can get your hands on.

Last edited:
water said:
You do realize that if we are to apply this measure, many, many religious arguments are completely pointless and invalid?
Only those that rely on contextless interpretations -- i.e. only on the meaning induced, not the meaning deduced. Like my earlier example of relying on Genesis to tell us how God created the universe, and expecting the answer to confirm our current best theories on creation. When we expect the Bible to conform to what we consider "authorative, inerrant and infallible" (which could be a certain current theory or set of assumptions), we are reading it with a bias -- maybe not as explicit as "we are right and God is wrong", but that the Bible was meant to confirm science; our measurements, not God's.

When we know that Genesis contradicted certain religious notions (such as that the sun and moon were deities, or that the Creator was in some way struggling against chaos), we can realize that it wasn't addressing our, modern, 21st century, "objective-reality"-based paradigm, but a different one. Then, by faith, we can affirm with the Bible--not necessarily because of it--God's sovereign authority and ownership of creation. (You'll notice that the Bible never tells us why we should believe God exists, only what kind of faith we must have.)

What is more, it takes a person with a lot of self-confidence to not mechanically follow a text, and *yet* keep in mind "that we are NOT always perfect and obedient in understanding Him, and therefore we must continually seek to listen and understand his words to the best of our abilities".
It takes a relationship to develop such confidence, just like trust. And one cannot have a relationship with a book or with words. But you are aware that text can never be followed "mechanically" anyway, there is always some kind of interaction or exchange going on between the sphere of the person and the sphere of the text. But because it is a book about people and not a person itself, we are interacting with a world of people -- people who had faith and experiences with faith, but were still people like us -- we must explore it to get to know it, familiarize ourselves with it, and in that way "hear them out". Doing that, we are listening to God with them, becoming in a sense God's audience, as they were.

The Israelites also weren't perfect and obedient in understanding Him, and we get that from the text as well. Those who seeked to listen and understand God's words to the best of their abilities -- heart, mind and thought -- were the ones credited with having faith.

All this looks to me that one already must have a lot of faith before one ever even opens a Bible.
That one must already be a believer before he can become one, so to speak.
One certainly doesn't start out with Biblical faith, like one doesn't read a book already deciding the content. The Bible might inspire such faith or it might not. But what it does regardless of your faith, is set before you a world of faith; a message that demands a choice.

Last edited:
Jenyar said:
Only those that rely on contextless interpretations -- i.e. only on the meaning induced, not the meaning deduced. Like my earlier example of relying on Genesis to tell us how God created the universe, and expecting the answer to confirm our current best theories on creation. When we expect the Bible to conform to what we consider "authorative, inerrant and infallible" (which could be a certain current theory or set of assumptions), we are reading it with a bias -- maybe not as explicit as "we are right and God is wrong", but that the Bible was meant to confirm science; our measurements, not God's.

This is why I have pointed out the two-way inductive reasoning strategy, and what it takes to think that way (in my last post to SouthStar).
If we wish to "test the hypothesis proposed by the Bible", then we cannot judge with measurements and criteria we have *already* at hand. To "test" it, we first have to comply with *its own* requirements.

It is just that in the case of religion, this "testing" can not be done as a thought-experiment, or with the reservation that we can "always go back". This is why religion is so unappealing to scientific probation, and eventually fails at being probed that way.

(You'll notice that the Bible never tells us why we should believe God exists, only what kind of faith we must have.)

This is worth a thread!
But indulge me: How come the Bible never tells us *why* we should believe God exists?

The Israelites also weren't perfect and obedient in understanding Him, and we get that from the text as well. Those who seeked to listen and understand God's words to the best of their abilities -- heart, mind and thought -- were the ones credited with having faith.

This is where that two-way inductive reasoning strategy comes in.
It is not Pascal's Wager: there, there is always the way back, and even if a faith develops, is developed originating from a mental trick.

But with the two-way induction strategy, that trick cannot take place. The demands are clearly set, and the decision clear: one has to give God the full authority to "test that hypothesis". But how many are willing to do that?!

One certainly doesn't start out with Biblical faith, like one doesn't read a book already deciding the content. The Bible might inspire such faith or it might not. But what it does regardless of your faith, is set before you a world of faith; a message that demands a choice.

This once more an argument from religious practice: From believers, once can often get the impression that the way one is to feel about the Bible and faith is prescribed in advance. As if we have to plan our feelings.

But indulge me: How come the Bible never tells us *why* we should believe God exists?

Because if you don't.. you'll go to hell and face God's wrath! :rolleyes:

Oh wait, this is the exact reason the Bible gives to make us believe in God.

I would figure that the only true Bible would be the one that includes all books — not just the currently-cannonized ones. This includes the Torah, the narratives of Jesus's life (including the Infancy Gospels), the Apocrypha, the Book of Mormon, and everything in between. Besides, who has the right to say what is and what isn't the Word of God?

As to what version we should accept . . . I would say we would have to look at the original articles of each book of the Bible, and compile them all into one Bible. After all, all of today's versions of the Bible are descended from the originals. They are the Word of God. The descendant versions are corrupted by mankind and are not worthy of being considered part of the Bible.

It makes sense to me. Who disagrees?

Water and SouthStar,
The Bible contains accounts by people who have been brought to believe, and they did not doubt that God existed. Through it and by it, they told their children and children's children of what they experienced, and what their God did. The message was simply to those who would listen. David says in Psalm 14 "The fool says in his heart, There is no God" and in Psalm 111:10 "The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom". Faith is a priviledge, a gift from God. It can be taken part in and explored, like wisdom. Not given or willed.

And they did not think their testimony was so weak as to neccessitate trying to convince the world they were right. They were witnesses to something God did.
Isaiah 43:10-12
"But you are my witnesses, O Israel!" says the LORD. "And you are my servant. You have been chosen to know me, believe in me, and understand that I alone am God. There is no other God; there never has been and never will be. I am the LORD, and there is no other Savior. First I predicted your deliverance; I declared what I would do, and then I did it--I saved you. No foreign god has ever done this before. You are witnesses that I am the only God," says the LORD.

and Isaiah 53
Who has believed our message? To whom will the LORD reveal his saving power?​
Feel free to read the rest of Is. 53.

SouthStar, belief is the only way of accepting what God has done not to let us perish. If you don't believe God has done this, then why complain?
Athelwulf said:
I would figure that the only true Bible would be the one that includes all books — not just the currently-cannonized ones. This includes the Torah, the narratives of Jesus's life (including the Infancy Gospels), the Apocrypha, the Book of Mormon, and everything in between. Besides, who has the right to say what is and what isn't the Word of God?

As to what version we should accept . . . I would say we would have to look at the original articles of each book of the Bible, and compile them all into one Bible. After all, all of today's versions of the Bible are descended from the originals. They are the Word of God. The descendant versions are corrupted by mankind and are not worthy of being considered part of the Bible.
There is not much we can do about the canon, or "measure", of the Old Testament. We have the Hebrew Bible and the Greek Septuagint used in Jesus' time. This is the Torah which was considered authoritave by the Jews and by Jesus and his disciples, and that's good enough for us.

But the canon of the New Testament is inextricably bound to its core: Jesus Christ. He chose apostles, whom He taught and who were given the authority to spread his message (Mark 3:14). Because of the dangers of false apostles and false teachings, after those apostles and disciples died and weren't available to consult anymore, Christians only accepted writings and traditions authorized by them. All works should be measured (the reason the word 'canon' is used) against the words of Jesus as reported and believed by his close followers and the earliest Christian sources. The further one moves from that inner circle, the less authorative such works become, and usually, the less they actually have to say about Jesus--and the more they rely on (or deviate from) the earlier books. The so-called "lost books" and apocrypha cannot contradict those authorative ones. The authority of the apostles is the reason why we reject Mormonism as being "Christian", for instance.

You say the Infancy gospels should be included, but:
"Cameron identifies three different sources for the Infancy Gospel of James: extracanonical traditions, the Old Testament, and the Gospels of Matthew and Luke." - Early Christian Writings

"There is nothing particularly Christian about the stories attributed to Jesus; rather, the stories elaborate on the missing years of Jesus with reference to Hellenistic legend and pious imagination." - The Infancy Gospel of Thomas
You may look up the other books at earlychristianwritings.com, and decide for yourself whether they can strengthen your faith. What they will not do, is make Jesus any less relevant. What you call the "descendant versions" of the Bible are the result of having looked at the original articles. See this Illustration of Bible text manuscript tree and variant readings and also Hasn't the Bible been rewritten so many times that we can't trust it anymore?.

We would only have need for more and more books if we consider Jesus to be God's failure, in a kind of compensation for it--in which case I don't see how any "Christian" books would be of any use; what can a book do that God wouldn't? But if we consider Jesus' ministry to have been succesful, and his message real, we should pay attention to his words.

Last edited:
Jenyar said:
Because of the dangers of false apostles and false teachings, after those apostles and disciples died and weren't available to consult anymore, Christians only accepted writings and traditions authorized by them.

The apostles had nothing to do with writing the gospels. The site you (early christian writings) mentioned gives the approx dates for them all.

This is a good discussion of the how the new testament was created.

http://www.infidels.org/library/modern/richard_carrier/NTcanon.html

Additionally Jenyar, your Hasn't the bible been re written link is misleading. The table indicates the new testament was written 50-100 AD and the first copy was available cAD130. This is refering to a fragment text that contains 7 partial verses of the gospel of John (the dating on this is controversial as well). The first complete NT is dated to the 4th Century AD. Upto 170 years after the presumed death of jesus there are apprently only a maximum of 6 fragmentry NT texts that contain less than 1% of all NT verses.

Hm.
1 Peter 1
Peter, an apostle of Jesus Christ,

To God's elect, strangers in the world, scattered throughout Pontus, Galatia, Cappadocia, Asia and Bithynia, who have been chosen according to the foreknowledge of God the Father, through the sanctifying work of the Spirit, for obedience to Jesus Christ and sprinkling by his blood:​
THE CRITERIA FOR ACCEPTING A BOOK AS CANONICAL...
1. Written by an apostle (e.g., Matthew, John, Paul, Peter)
2. Written by a close associate of an apostle (Mark, Luke, James, Jude)
-- Thus the writing had to be "apostolic" in addition to showing
evidence of inspiration
from Can we trust the Bible regarding its canonicity?

Hi Jenyar:

Forgive me butting in here.

Quote J:
"What they will not do, is make Jesus any less relevant."

No, not necessarily, but these texts reveal an alternative view of Jesus and his message, leading to healthy reflection. The mere fact that these texts exist, is reason enough to question the veracity of the existing canon. But Jenyar, even though your links are appreciated, they are from pro Christian Apologetics websites, so are unfairly skewed towards the existing indoctrination. If you have not already done so, why not read some of Elaine Pagels books, for eg: "The Gnostic Gospels" (more about her here: http://www.roycecarlton.com/speakers/pagels.html) Gaining a secular view on the topic would be fair.

What do you consider (put into 1 sentence) to be the "Message of Jesus?"

Allcare.

Jenyar said:
Hm.
1 Peter 1
Peter, an apostle of Jesus Christ,

To God's elect, strangers in the world, scattered throughout Pontus, Galatia, Cappadocia, Asia and Bithynia, who have been chosen according to the foreknowledge of God the Father, through the sanctifying work of the Spirit, for obedience to Jesus Christ and sprinkling by his blood:​
-- Thus the writing had to be "apostolic" in addition to showing
evidence of inspiration
from Can we trust the Bible regarding its canonicity?

http://www.earlychristianwritings.com/

So how did the gospels of Matthew and John make it in?!

O.K.

From your site Jenyar:

"CAN WE TRUST THE BIBLE?"
Regarding Its All-Sufficiency For Salvation?

4. When people appeal to other sources for their authority in
religion...
a. They reject 'the all-sufficiency of the Scriptures'...
b. Religious confusion is the fruit!
-- The way out of religious confusion is to recognize the need for
the same standard of authority, which ought to be the Scriptures
alone!

(http://www.ccel.org/contrib/exec_outlines/bible/bible_06.htm)

Perhaps you should not read what I suggested, it seems non-Biblical reading is not encouraged. Now why would that be?

Allcare.

Prester John said:
Additionally Jenyar, your Hasn't the bible been re written link is misleading. The table indicates the new testament was written 50-100 AD and the first copy was available cAD130. This is refering to a fragment text that contains 7 partial verses of the gospel of John (the dating on this is controversial as well). The first complete NT is dated to the 4th Century AD. Upto 170 years after the presumed death of jesus there are apprently only a maximum of 6 fragmentry NT texts that contain less than 1% of all NT verses.
Yes, because the page only compares the relative historicity of extant texts (cf. Manuscript evidence). But even though we don't have complete extant manuscripts, we can at least see what was certainly known. And these fragments are not without context--it would be evident if only those fragments were authentic, and all "later", more complete manuscripts were fabricated around them.

And have you looked at the contents of some of the earliest fragments? If the question here is belief, then they are as problematic as any of the later manuscripts.
"After coming to him, they exactingly tested him, saying, "Teacher Jesus, we know that you have come from God. For the things you do bear greater witness than all the prophets."
- from Papyrus Egerton 2

Therefore Pilate said to him, "Then you are a king?" Jesus answered, "You say that I am a king. For this I was born, and for this I have come into society: to witness to the truth. Everyone who belongs to the truth hears my voice." Pilate said to him, "What is truth?" After he had said this, he went out to the Judeans again, and he told them, "I find no crime in him."
- from John Rylands papyrus P52

Fragments and papyrus copies of portions of the New Testament manuscripts date from 100 to 200 years (180-225 AD) before Vaticanus and Sinaticus. From the Chester Beatty Papyrus (P45, P46, P47) and the Bodmer Papyrus II, XIV, XV (P46, P75) alone, we can construct all of Luke, John, Romans, 1 and 2 Corinthians, Galatians, Ephesians, Philippians, Colossians, 1 and 2 Thessalonians, Hebrews, and portions of Matthew, Mark, Acts, and Revelation. And p46 (which contains most of Paul's letters and Hebrews) has been redated to c.85 AD.

Stretched,

Reading other sources are not the same as appealing to them for authority. What they call the "all-sufficiency of Scriptures" is what I meant with whether Jesus succeeded or not. No amount of extra reading will change who Jesus was to those who knew Him.

I have read a lot of Pagels, but with all respect, she is talking about the Gnostic sects. They are usually cryptic, exclusivistic and harder to understand than the accepted canon, so I'm not sure what you are trying to say. You don't rather believe them, do you? The existence of alternatives don't challenge something just by existing. What have your conclusions been, comparing Gnosticism with Christianity?

And the reasoning for establishing a Christian canon would not have been advanced outside the early church, that is why I cite Christian sources for it. The illustrations are scholarly and valid. If you wish to dispute something specific, feel free. I even got ConsequentAtheist to admit that the manuscript evidence is as good as could be expected.

What do you consider (put into 1 sentence) to be the "Message of Jesus?"
I believe it was the good news of God: "Repent, for the kingdom of heaven is near" (Matt. 4:17 and Mark 1:14-15).

Last edited:

Jenyar, don't have time so this will do for now.

Can you please explain separately why #1 and #2 are the criteria for canonicity?

Try not to be circular.

Jenyar,

Quote J:
"I have read a lot of Pagels, but with all respect, she is talking about the Gnostic sects. They are usually cryptic, exclusivistic and harder to understand than the accepted canon, so I'm not sure what you are trying to say. You don't rather believe them, do you? The existence of alternatives don't challenge something just by existing. What have your conclusions been, comparing Gnosticism with Christianity?"

The existance of alternative texts indicate that our present picture of Christianity may well be flawed. If you have read Pagels then you would know her view regarding the consolidation of the early Church by Irenaeus. Partly achieved by banishing and discrediting the Gnostic texts. The Gnostic texts indicate an alternate path to salvation, in direct experience of the divine, nullifying the need for priestly intervention. Spot the potential threat to the existing hierarchical powerbase. Like most religious texts, the Gnostic texts range from the ridicoulous to the sublime. I firmly believe though that what passes for Christian doctrine today is a million miles removed from the original message that Jesus (assuming he existed at all) tried to convey. For example some of the Gnostic texts display an uncanny kinship to Buddhist principles, and many of the canonical teachings of Jesus display a similar Buddhist slant. I believe Christians can find a lot of inspiration within the Gnostic texts, but alas this would be deemed satanic by the church. As if an omniscient god would quibble about the route to gnosis.

Quote J:
"I believe it was the good news of God: "Repent, for the kingdom of heaven is near" (Matt. 4:17 and Mark 1:14-15)."

I am not being fecitious, but repent from what exactly? And what would the "kingdom of heaven" be exactly?

Allcare.

§outh§tar said:
Jenyar, don't have time so this will do for now.

Can you please explain separately why #1 and #2 are the criteria for canonicity?

Try not to be circular.
And please try not to be condescending. It's unneccessary.

The apostles were Jesus' disciples first. They were handpicked by Christ, knew Him and were taught by Him personally. They knew his message before there was any "Bible".

For the obvious reason that they could corroborate their material with the apostles while they were still alive. It is also the principle of apostolic succession still in use by the Orthodox churches.

Jenyar said:
And please try not to be condescending. It's unneccessary.

The apostles were Jesus' disciples first. They were handpicked by Christ, knew Him and were taught by Him personally. They knew his message before there was any "Bible".

For the obvious reason that they could corroborate their material with the apostles while they were still alive. It is also the principle of apostolic succession still in use by the Orthodox churches.

I'll get back to you later with regard to your earlier comments, and respond in more depth to this but for example nobody believes the Gospels of Matthew and John to be written by the apostles. Thats not claimed by the gospels either. Matthew is derivative, based on Mark, not the work of an eyewitness, John contains errors that an eyewitness would not make.

Back