Being a Gentleman

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, but you said that gender only applies with manners..

In that the manners differ in minute ways between the genders, since men are expected to do all the things I said (gentelmen, at least).

Good point - few people today, since people today tend not to value education and manners anymore.

People value manners, its just that times change and manners change.

I expect a person to take off their hat when they eat no matter where they are. When was the last time you saw someone take off their baseball cap at the mall or fast food restaurant?

People value manners, its just that times change and manners change.

I expect a person to take off their hat when they eat no matter where they are. When was the last time you saw someone take off their baseball cap at the mall or fast food restaurant?

See, I just don't agree. I do not seriously think the popular culture of today values manners.

Unless you count " slappin' yo' hoe' or 'putting some ice on that hoe' or ' fucking that hoe' (pardon my language) to be a gentlemanly mindset.

My son may talk like that with his friends, but haven't guys always talked like that with eachother?

My son may talk like that with his friends, but haven't guys always talked like that with eachother?

Perhaps in jest.

I'm not saying we ought to be stiff bindles; however, we still ought to be well-mannered in public and men ought to treat ladies well and vice versa and people ought to value honesty and courage and people ought to live up to high standards.

And most don't. Sorry, that's just plainly obvious.

... men ought to treat ladies well and vice versa and people ought to value honesty and courage and people ought to live up to high standards.

And most don't. Sorry, that's just plainly obvious.

and most men do. :shrug: are you seeing men with this behaviour or boys?

I'm raising my daughter to not be treated like crap. A man with manners is less likely to treat her like crap.

A crappy man is more likely to find a trash talking skanky party girl and he is welcome to her.

Are today's young women raised to wait for a man to open doors and pull out chairs for them?

Nope they're not. They've had equality thrust upon them and the feeling that they shouldn't get special treatment for not having a penis. The poor dears.

Nope they're not. They've had equality thrust upon them and the feeling that they shouldn't get special treatment for not having a penis. The poor dears.

Gender denial is stupid. Don't be a sexist, but don't deny gender.

Oh, I agree. There are all kinds of benefits to being female, and they just ignore them. All that power and no idea

My mother was/is huge on respecting others, especially your elders. Both of my parents get all over my brother when doesn't hold the door, or doesn't carry my grandmother's things or help her down the stairs (she's handicapped). I just do it out of habit without even thinking about it, if I get to the door first I'll hold it, for anyone. But guys usually always insist on taking it from me and holding it in my place.
I think it's hilarious when the guys I'm with from my fiance to my gay best friend, scramble to beat me to the door. It's nice of them to open the door for me, but they really didn't have to break their neck to do it. I don't mind opening it myself. I always thank them anyway though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back