Attitudes to theft

(see first post) The thief's sentence or penalty should be reduced if:

• The man's wallet was easily assessible because of his clothing.

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • The man had given money freely to many other people in the past.

• The man was drunk at the time, and not careful with his wallet.

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • The man at no time said he did not want his wallet stolen.

• The man previously told the thief that he might give him some money.

• The man was friendly with the thief prior to the theft.

• The man was married to the thief.

Votes: 4 22.2%
  • The man had given money to the thief on a previous occasion.

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • The man had a repuation for giving his money away.

• None of the above.

Votes: 13 72.2%

• Total voters
mountainhare:

You avoided my question rather than answering them.

I'll answer yours; you answer mine. Ok?

How do you know that I don't know what I'm doing?

I don't. Should I presume that you know what you're doing? Obviously, I can see that you're blind drunk.

Is everyone who drinks alcohol not aware of what they are doing?

Of course not.

And another question. If a drunk driver hits a pedestrian, are they responsible? After all, they didn't 'know what they were doing'.

I think they are responsible. Just as I think a person takes advantage of a drunk person to steal his wallet is responsible.

It's you who looks to have a double standard, as far as I can tell.

Marriage entails group finances and thus one cannot rightfully steal from the other.

I'd also say someone that does not handle his money is a fool and should be taught to protect it better, even if this does not make him morally to blame, nor the thief less guilty.

Marriage entails group finances

No it doesn't. Married people might make a choice to pool their assets, but many choose not do that - especially in this age where about 50% of marriages end in divorce.

I believe you are wrong, PJ. Marital incomes are not considered as one.

I am 100% sure that is not the case in Australia. I am not 100% sure about the United States, but I'll need good evidence that the situation is different from Australia before I'll believe you.

I believe you are wrong, PJ. Marital incomes are not considered as one.

I am 100% sure that is not the case in Australia. I am not 100% sure about the United States, but I'll need good evidence that the situation is different from Australia before I'll believe you.

I think you'll find James when a couple get divorced the money is 'theirs' in the eyes of the law and the court decides who gets what regardless of who had what to begin with.

Why don't you google the law regarding money in marriage before pontificating about it ;)

I think you'll find James when a couple get divorced the money is 'theirs' in the eyes of the law and the court decides who gets what regardless of who had what to begin with.

Why don't you google the law regarding money in marriage before pontificating about it ;)

Not always.

There are prenuptial agreements.

There is what is known as community property (the earnings after marriage) and what is not community property (in some places)

A lot of married people today maintain separate accounts.

No, that's not necessarily the case! In the USA, each state has it's own marriage/divorce laws with regard to property and children. So it all depends on the state in which the couple seeks divorce.

Baron Max

A lot of married people today maintain separate accounts.

In some states, that doesn't matter ..it can be considered as marital property/income. Each state in the USA is different, and it's wise to check the laws before attempting to end the marriage.

In fact, some states are so strict about it, that one or the other can actually refuse to sign the divorce papers and can drag a divorce out for years and years!

Baron Max

TOR:

As others have said, it depends on the law of the particular state or country you happen to be in. In Australia, assets owned prior to the marriage are not split 50-50, and where certain assets have been purchased by one partner alone, they may not necessarily be partitioned, either.

Why don't you google the law regarding money in marriage before pontificating about it

I haven't pontificated about it. I made a single, one-sentence statement about Australian law. I also expressed a belief based on that.

Back