Athiest? no..... Heretic!

I don't think you can have it both ways. like wave/particle. He was the son of God, he said so. His whole existence was based on that premise. He was here to save our souls. Jesus was not ambivalent about this. You might as well dismiss him entirely as to call him a prophet or philosopher.

That's stupid. That's like saying that since Buddha said to get rid of pleasure with pain, he had nothing valuable to offer, relinquish everything he taught and was about. Yoda wasn't really a Jedi, so you can't learn anything from Yoda.

I don't think you can have it both ways. like wave/particle. He was the son of God, he said so. His whole existence was based on that premise. He was here to save our souls. Jesus was not ambivalent about this. You might as well dismiss him entirely as to call him a prophet or philosopher.

You see? This is exactly what I don't get. The either/or. Human beings are capable of the most incredible juxtaposition of traits. This has always seemed like a lame argument to me.

He was the son of God, he said so.

So what? He also said that we are ALL SON'S OF GOD!!

So I can claim, that I'm the son of god as well, I just happen not to believe in my daddy!! LOL...:p

That's stupid. That's like saying that since Buddha said to get rid of pleasure with pain, he had nothing valuable to offer, relinquish everything he taught and was about. Yoda wasn't really a Jedi, so you can't learn anything from Yoda.

You see? This is exactly what I don't get. The either/or. Human beings are capable of the most incredible juxtaposition of traits. This has always seemed like a lame argument to me.

I guess the argument lies in whether your a christian or not. Why pull punchs? if you deny who he was-than he was delusional or a liar (with a good message). That is not said and I guess it is out of religous respect, but it may be just a little condescending to christians to have this view(philospher).

What if he's a philosopher, who people made to look like the son of god?

Oh so you where a muslim. Well then as a Christian i believe you once where a Heretic, islam is a false religion and therefore a heretic religion that gives a false view of the will of God.

ya ya ya, the problem whith fanatics is that its their religion is the truth because its just so, they never try to objectively criticise it, if you ask a hindu, jew, sikh, martian.... they all say the same about theirs, even sects within the same religion, orthodox versus catholics versus protestants.... etc
But did any try to think "well, lets see is it possible that I grouped up with a bunch of liers".... no!

It could be for you a great blessing to have your false view of the will of God smashed. People who follow a false view of God often need to have their views of God smashed before they can ever have a chance of searching once again to find the true will of God.

Don't try this missionary bullshit with me, when I gave examples from Quran that doesn't keep Christianity safe, what I held against my former beleif can be said about all other:

Thou shalt make thy prayer unto him, and he shall hear thee, and thou shalt pay thy vows.(Job 22:27)

The Lord is far from the wicked: but he heareth the prayer of the righteous.(Proverbs 15:29)

So, my freind, do you find those poor souls in South America so wicked that God turned from hearing their prayers, or the girls who in trying to rid their families of poverty are tricked into slavery, are they so wicked, while the hands of United States governments and those of Israeli government are so pure that he always give onto them what he kept from others? If that is your God then I'd rather pray to Satan!

Maybe your anger will last many years before you seek Him anew or maybe you will be filled with hate for the rest of your life and never seek Him anew. I hope you do not have to carry that burden of hate and resentment all the rest of your life.

I chose to hate God because I love my fellow human irrespective of religion, colour, race, or any other socio-religious bullshit... if that to you is a burden than I gladly will carry!

And since religious people consider themselves "orthodox" I chose the name they most dislike "heretic". And I actually started this thread to see how many share this same concept, not arguing God's existance, but simply not accepting his will!

You know what my favorite thing is about the word "heretic"?
Take a look at the etymology - it means "one who has the ability to choose".

When someone calls me a heretic I consider it a compliment, an admission of narrow-mindedness and a display of willful ignorance.

I guess the argument lies in whether your a christian or not. Why pull punchs? if you deny who he was-than he was delusional or a liar (with a good message). That is not said and I guess it is out of religous respect, but it may be just a little condescending to christians to have this view(philospher).

C.S. Lewis stated,

'I am trying here to prevent anyone saying the really foolish thing that people often say about Him: 'I'm ready to accept Jesus as a great moral teacher, but I don't accept His claim to be God.' That is one thing we must not say. A man who was merely a man and said the sort of thing Jesus said would not be a great moral teacher. He would either be a lunatic—on a level with the man who says he is a poached egg—or else he would be the Devil of Hell. You must make your choice. Either this man was, and is, the Son of God: or else a madman or something worse. You can shut Him up for a fool, you can spit at Him and kill him as a demon or you can fall at his feet and call Him Lord and God. But let us not come with any patronizing nonsense about His being a great human teacher. He has not left that open to us. He did not intend to.'

It is worth remembering that Lewis came from an atheist base. The conclusion he came to above was after many years of patient (and objective) research. He did not wish to become a christian.

"You may picture me alone in that room in Magdalen, night after night, feeling, whenever my mind lifted for even a second from my work, the steady, unrelenting approach of Him whom I so earnestly desired not to meet. That which I greatly feared had at last come upon me. In...1929 I gave in, and admitted that God was God, and knelt and prayed: perhaps that night, the most dejected and reluctant convert in all England."

regards,

Gordon.

C.S. Lewis stated,

'I am trying here to prevent anyone saying the really foolish thing that people often say about Him: 'I'm ready to accept Jesus as a great moral teacher, but I don't accept His claim to be God.' That is one thing we must not say. A man who was merely a man and said the sort of thing Jesus said would not be a great moral teacher. He would either be a lunatic—on a level with the man who says he is a poached egg—or else he would be the Devil of Hell. You must make your choice. Either this man was, and is, the Son of God: or else a madman or something worse. You can shut Him up for a fool, you can spit at Him and kill him as a demon or you can fall at his feet and call Him Lord and God. But let us not come with any patronizing nonsense about His being a great human teacher. He has not left that open to us. He did not intend to.'

That tired old quote again?
One (but not the only) glaringly obvious option that Lewis missed was that Jesus' teachings were grossly misunderstood by many of his followers.
If Lewis was referring to only the popular depiction of Jesus, this quote may have some level of significance, but many aspects of the popular depiction of Jesus are simply not supported by the gospels.
Not to take this thread off track, but Jesus never said he was God.
As such, the quote is impotent at best.

ya ya ya, the problem whith fanatics is that its their religion is the truth because its just so, they never try to objectively criticise it, if you ask a hindu, jew, sikh, martian.... they all say the same about theirs, even sects within the same religion, orthodox versus catholics versus protestants.... etc
But did any try to think "well, lets see is it possible that I grouped up with a bunch of liers".... no!

Some do in fact seek and find out they where grouped up with a bunch of people who believe in a lie and they do change.

Don't try this missionary bullshit with me, when I gave examples from Quran that doesn't keep Christianity safe, what I held against my former beleif can be said about all other:

Thou shalt make thy prayer unto him, and he shall hear thee, and thou shalt pay thy vows.(Job 22:27)

The Lord is far from the wicked: but he heareth the prayer of the righteous.(Proverbs 15:29)

From your post i get the impression that you are against God because He allows suffering to happen in this world, right?

Then why quote those two verses from the Bible? What do they have to do with anything?

So, my freind, do you find those poor souls in South America so wicked that God turned from hearing their prayers,

What poor souls in South America are you referring to?

or the girls who in trying to rid their families of poverty are tricked into slavery, are they so wicked,

Well the ones who trick then certainly are wicked.

while the hands of United States governments and those of Israeli government are so pure that he always give onto them what he kept from others? If that is your God then I'd rather pray to Satan!

But do the governments of the united states and Israel or any other government for that matter have eternal life with God? Who cares if the powerful have riches if they do not have eternity with God what do they have? Nothing of eternal worth.

I chose to hate God because I love my fellow human irrespective of religion, colour, race, or any other socio-religious bullshit... if that to you is a burden than I gladly will carry!

I love my fellow human beings and God.

All Praise The Ancient Of Days

It is worth remembering that Lewis came from an atheist base. The conclusion he came to above was after many years of patient (and objective) research. He did not wish to become a christian.

"You may picture me alone in that room in Magdalen, night after night, feeling, whenever my mind lifted for even a second from my work, the steady, unrelenting approach of Him whom I so earnestly desired not to meet. That which I greatly feared had at last come upon me. In...1929 I gave in, and admitted that God was God, and knelt and prayed: perhaps that night, the most dejected and reluctant convert in all England."
Another appeal to authority? (Lewis converted - so it must be true!)

Where is this objective research that you mention?
If it is truly objective then we should surely all reach the same conclusion?

Please, lay it before us so that we may marvel at the wonders of the now proven God? :rolleyes:
Or do you leave room for doubt in either his research or his interpretation?

What if he's a philosopher, who people made to look like the son of god?

In Luke and John Jesus says that living your life according to his (Jesus) teachings will give you eternal life. So that is what is most important.

Back