Atheists what is your proof?

I don't believe that because if that is true Amazon should be able to catch people doing that.
Honestly, I haven't even looked the book up. But if you think that people and their publishing companies don't review their own stuff then you're pretty naive.

I don't believe that because if that is true Amazon should be able to catch people doing that.

Honestly, I haven't even looked the book up. But if you think that people and their publishing companies don't review their own stuff then you're pretty naive.

And even if it wasn't people who profit from the book, it isn't hard to get those who go in for propaganda to rate the book. In short, ratings should be considered for how much people like a book, not how accurate it is.

well what's the point of that if you're never going to come into contact with an alligator?

For little ubunta in Nigeria, it could mean life or death. For you, it may simply keep your arm in tact at the zoo with the poor barriers at the reptile exhibits.

and you know what? i believe any and every thing people tell me unless i have a damn good reason not to. and me not ever coming into contact with an alligator myself, is not a good reason.

I am sure you do.

i just know him. and from what i know it's not what he wants for me, or for you. i know my place, and that is NOT my place.

It doesn't change the simple fact that an incorrect answer from that voice in your head wouldn't sway you in the least. It boils down to values. You value what that voice in your head does for you more than truth if you have to choose.

Ok; but there is no reason to think that aging would have any impact on the timeline of our own universe. In this respect, the "Creation" is more like a painting of the creator than a movie. From the deity's perspective our universe would just be a static object.

You probably picked up on the reason later on and I'll reiterate it here for funsies ;3. Aging in the "god-environment" would have an impact on our static painting of a universe because it would have entropy.

Most of the statements are under the assumption that God does indeed experience a "God-time", which is just supposition,...

This part is explicitly your claim. If god "created" our universe then that is an event in gods past. That immediately makes god a dependent of an environment. For god to *think* and *create* across different moments in "god-time" would require it to expend energy (or an equivalent in the "god-environment"). That immediately makes the "god-environment" entropic (or an equivalent in the "god-environment").

Now, you're welcome to modify the claim in some way to work around this; however, the god that is being claimed right now is simply one that demonstrably doesn't exist.

Indeed, neither of these assumptions are Biblical, so if the deity we are discussing is the Biblical God, then one must limit their discussion to Biblical descriptors. With that said...

If you want to introduce biblical claims then it will be over before it started. That god made the universe, our planet, and humans in a manner that is outright contradicted by observation. When it's an idea vs actual reality, reality always wins.

Even if this were all true, mistakes and limitations in the "God-realm" wouldn't necessarily result in a deity that wasn't omnipotent and omnicscient within our own realm.

Well kinda sorta maybe. It would actually depend on how the "god-environment" worked (beyond what we can deduce).

Incidentally thank you for putting this discussion back on track. I feel like now we are getting to interesting conversation. :)

:3

Those comments WERE more directed at phlog than you. It just seems there are certains minimums of decorum that are handily ignored on this site, and it confounds me that grown people would have such difficulties.

Good, because you have been very gracious in your debates, and I appreciate it! :)

You probably picked up on the reason later on and I'll reiterate it here for funsies ;3. Aging in the "god-environment" would have an impact on our static painting of a universe because it would have entropy.

This part is explicitly your claim. If god "created" our universe then that is an event in gods past. That immediately makes god a dependent of an environment. For god to *think* and *create* across different moments in "god-time" would require it to expend energy (or an equivalent in the "god-environment"). That immediately makes the "god-environment" entropic (or an equivalent in the "god-environment").

First of all, I use the term "created" because it is in OUR past, not necessarily God's. With that said, I do see your logic - but again, you are applying OUR knowledge of time OUR perception of it to a realm in which we have no reason to think that it is actually applicable.

Now, you're welcome to modify the claim in some way to work around this; however, the god that is being claimed right now is simply one that demonstrably doesn't exist.

If you want to introduce biblical claims then it will be over before it started. That god made the universe, our planet, and humans in a manner that is outright contradicted by observation. When it's an idea vs actual reality, reality always wins.

In what way? And before you suggest that Genesis is referring to 24 hour periods with its use of the word day I have already rejected that claim and have provided an alternative interpretation of Genesis that IS consistent with observation.

Well kinda sorta maybe. It would actually depend on how the "god-environment" worked (beyond what we can deduce).

Agreed.

Good, because you have been very gracious in your debates, and I appreciate it! :)

:) Thank you, and likewise. I am more than happy to continue to refine worldviews and ideas based on the input of others; it's when the only input others provide is empty disagreements and insults that I get annoyed. I'm still working on developing the patience necessary to deal with such attitudes, but alas... I am only human. :)

no i did not. i took a half hit of acid on two occasions while i was in college (which was a long long time ago), and i was rather unimpressed with the effect.

don't you see how ridiculous, and quite frankly stupid, comments like this make you seem?

You're a self confessed drug user with mental heath issues. This makes me look clean and sober.

well then how come it got mostly five-star ratings on Amazon?

By preaching to the crowd. And by the publishers rating it themselves. Here's the thing though, other people saying it's a good book does't make it true. If there were any truth in the claims this guy makes, they wouldn't be in such a book, but published in a recognised scientific journal.

Phlog, I've been on this forum for a while, and you really stand out (with a not too distant second by SpiderGoat) as someone who is downright angry and hateful when it comes to discussions of God. Why is that? Pretty much everyone else is capable of having intelligent discourse that doesn't resort to insults and hatemongering, except for you (and SpiderGoat on occassion). Why is that?

What a diversionary ad hom this is.

Listen, I've debated you into a corner, where your argument has effectively denied the existence of free will, yet many theists say God gave them exactly that.

Sort out your argument, and come back and present it clearly, and concisely, without such gaping holes, and try to do so dispassionately.

I'm not angry, you are some some guy on the Internet, how could you make me angry? Please, just stick to the topic, leave out the diversions, and see if you back out from the corner you have argued yourself into.

By preaching to the crowd. And by the publishers rating it themselves. Here's the thing though, other people saying it's a good book does't make it true. If there were any truth in the claims this guy makes, they wouldn't be in such a book, but published in a recognised scientific journal.

So then you're saying that that the people who get a Masters in a science, that all their theses are not true?

So then you're saying that that the people who get a Masters in a science, that all their theses are not true?

He's saying that Amazon ratings of a book are not in any way a reflection of the books accuracy or veracity. And the amount of junk which is produced by way of a Master's thesis is immense.

He's saying that Amazon ratings of a book are not in any way a reflection of the books accuracy or veracity.
If you need any further evidence of the truth of this - look up the ratings on "What the bleep do we know". :eek:

First of all, I use the term "created" because it is in OUR past, not necessarily God's. With that said, I do see your logic - but again, you are applying OUR knowledge of time OUR perception of it to a realm in which we have no reason to think that it is actually applicable.

This doesn't make sense though. Let's break this down further. When god "created" our universe, was there ever a moment (relative to god) that the universe was not "created"? Remember, if god made a distinct decision and acted, that is a sequence of events.

In what way? And before you suggest that Genesis is referring to 24 hour periods with its use of the word day I have already rejected that claim and have provided an alternative interpretation of Genesis that IS consistent with observation.

Genesis 1
God creates Adam and Eve at the same time.

Genesis 2
God creates Adam. Adam then does some things (ex. names some animals) and he gets lonely. He tells god, and god makes eve out of his rib.

That's 2 different creation stories.

Genesis 6
There is no way Noah could store the millions of non-aquatic species on the planet on an ark. He could not even get a fraction of that.

The bible god does not exist.

Back