Atheists what is your proof?

I think you are going to have to be more specific, as this last statement really says nothing at all. So let me try to clarify. On what basis do you believe the chances of there being a supernatural deity outside our realm of material existence? Frankly I don't see how any such odds could be calculated - and "incalculable" does not translate to "really, really high". I can accept someone saying that because it is incalculable they have no reason to believe in it, but to actually lay odds on it would be illogical.

ok here I'll be perfectly clear. I believe that there is a supernatural deity because the odds of our existence being by chance are EXTREMELY slim.

OK; I'm not suggesting that the universe is ACTUALLY a DVD... If you don't get the metaphor by now I give up.

But you are suggesting it's a big hunk-o-static data within a different time environment. As long as it's there, it ages. If it ages then the data will eventually corrupt. That entropic effect would be detectable but we don't see it. Of course you could say that god periodically refurbishes the universe; however, that would be a detectable interaction. There are a couple of ways to potentially hide god in this scenario however.

* God created a universe which is non-static but has zero interaction with it.
* God didn't create the universe and doesn't interact with it.

And the odds of there being something even more complex are somehow less slim? :shrug:

yes because of the amount of evidence such as what is talked about in the book I mentioned earlier. You all reall;y need to read that book. (The Language of God by Francis Collins)

yes because of the amount of evidence such as what is talked about in the book I mentioned earlier. You all reall;y need to read that book. (The Language of God by Francis Collins)

A devout christian writes a book supporting the christian faith. So?

for all we know about the universe, we could all be stuck in a giant snowglobe sitting on someone's desk.

I think you meant to say "for all I know about the universe, we could all be .... "

A snow globe has a diameter of about 6 inches. The universe has a diameter of over 28 billion light years.

Now, if you accept that, there is no argument. If you don't accept that, there is no point in arguing.

Reading something they can understand, that seems to make sense, that presents itself as technically competent, non-scientists are easily gulled by fake science. --Henry H. Bauer

Reading something they can understand, that seems to make sense, that presents itself as technically competent, non-scientists are easily gulled by fake science. --Henry H. Bauer

You think Francis Collins wrote about fake science?

A snow globe has a diameter of about 6 inches. The universe has a diameter of over 28 billion light years.

Now, if you accept that, there is no argument. If you don't accept that, there is no point in arguing.

the snow globes that you're familiar with, that is.

No, it is you who doesn't understand probability. Btw have you ever read "The Language of God" by Francis Collins?

Wasn't on the recommended reading list when I was studying my physics degree, so no.

You clearly have a tenuous grasp of science and maths however. You are still in school, so have time to redress that. Please do.

OK, I just read a few reviews of that book. It i quite heavily criticised by atheists and theists. Here's one nice short synopisis:

"Collins proposes that God designed the universe with such precision that humans would be the end result. "

Oh dear. Collins is a 'puddle':

"Imagine a puddle waking up one morning and thinking, 'This is an interesting world I find myself in, an interesting hole I find myself in, fits me rather neatly, doesn't it? In fact it fits me staggeringly well, must have been made to have me in it!' This is such a powerful idea that as the sun rises in the sky and the air heats up and as, gradually, the puddle gets smaller and smaller, it's still frantically hanging on to the notion that everything's going to be alright, because this world was meant to have him in it, was built to have him in it; so the moment he disappears catches him rather by surprise. I think this may be something we need to be on the watch out for.'" (Douglas Adams)

Last edited:
Ok; in one of my previous posts on this subject (in this very thread - I really wish you would keep up), I also noted that the idea of the universe coming from nothing was more incomprehensible than a deity coming from nothing, as the properties of a deity would explain such inscrutability. The properties of a random natural event do not.

You've tailor made an excuse for a deity I'm afraid. Your created 'God' is 'just so' to avoid the questions you don't want to answer. You conveniently make claims that it's all 'beyond science' to try and avoid having to provide proof or answers. These are nothing more than claims, fantasies, and postulations. It's not even a logical theory. Thinking a deity is more likely to spontaneously erupt into being, than a simple quantum fluctuation just means your science knowledge is lacking. There is strong evidence and good theoretical support for the scientific view. You on the other hand have nothing more than convenient excuses.

You said the Biblical Jesus was a myth, and then to 'support' that statement you brought up some myths that were established post-Bible - which says nothing at all about the Biblical Jesus. So, based on what are you saying Biblical scripture is not a reliable source of information?

The bible is post Jesus, ... written a long time after he was dead, and then edited heavily, apocrypha removed, translations made after being kept secret in latin which many did not read apart from the Roman church. It was controlled, and has definitely been amended to unite Mithraism and Christianity. Why else do churches have crypts? Perhaps because they were built over Mithraic places of worship, which were underground?

A supposition for which you have no more or less evidence than the existence of a supernatural being existing "before" (or rather, "outside") the Big Bang. Given the lack of evidence for either supposition, we are left with Ocham's Razor - which is a simpler explanation? I argue that the deity is the simpler explanation in that it actually has properties that provide an explanation. "Nothing" on the other hand doesn't answer anything.

You are holding that razor backwards. You introduce complexity when you start saying a God came first, then created the Universe. That is the antithesis of Occam's razor!

Answer my previous question from last night. Why would a deity create a universe with physical laws that don't obey its will?

Hold on bub, this deity of yours supposedly created Adam and Eve who didn't obey him. He then got a bit annoyed with Sodom and destroyed it, and then of course, committed near complete genocide bar Noah et al. People do not follow God's will, so why would a Universe? You may argue people have free will. I would argue there is no free will if you ascribe a deity the attribute of omniscience, and of course, without that power, said deity cannot know his Universe is working perfectly as planned. Unless of course you are going to argue against random quantum events, and say your deity exactly understands each and every interaction that can occur, and set things in motion perfectly in the first instant, but then oh dear, free will comes in and mucks that up, if we decide the outcome of events. See, a simple logical discourse dissects your God and leaves it in pieces.

Why would it need to establish said reality with flawed laws, such that it needed to provide secondary interjection?

Here's your problem, other theists (take Lori7) reckon God speaks to her. The bible details God speaking to people. There is supposedly detailed 'secondary interjection' when God talks, and smites, and delivers commandments, and impregnates virgins. How can you reconcile these actions, against your claim that God hides behind nature? Unless of course you reject scripture entirely?

Back