Atheism to be taught in RE..

"And when you tell this people all these words, and they say to you, 'Why has the LORD pronounced all this great evil against us? What is our iniquity? What is the sin that we have committed against the LORD our God?' then you shall say to them: 'Because your fathers have forsaken me, says the LORD, and have gone after other gods and have served and worshiped them, and have forsaken me and have not kept my law, and because you have done worse than your fathers, for behold, every one of you follows his stubborn evil will, refusing to listen to me; therefore I will hurl you out of this land into a land which neither you nor your fathers have known, and there you shall serve other gods day and night, for I will show you no favor' . . . .

Jeremiah 16.10-13, RSV

For the record, in the English language, the word "evil" in 16.10 appears as "terrible things" in the New Living Translation, "calamity" in the New American Standard, "disaster" in the New King James, and "evil" in the King James, Revised Standard, Webster, Robert Young, J. N. Darby, American Standard, and Hebrew Names versions (see BlueLetter). The Hebrew is translated to "evil", as well.

Note that God will not respond, "Because it is not evil," but rather, "Because you have forsaken me". God has no qualm with the idea of visiting evil upon a people.

Nonetheless:

MarcAC said:

You seem to take that evil might not be a sin, however, in Bible verses too numerous to isolate evil and sin are one and the same - and I will concur with them.

Pick a few. Running through a concordance of "sin" and "evil" isn't the most profitable research.

You seem not to want to isolate sin from God (impossible in any event), but you will isolate evil - I differ - I cannot isolate sin or evil from an offence against God's will because then, in your scenario evil becomes beauty.

Why would God's will not be beautiful?

Even if you manage to walk perfectly in the steps of Christ (admittedly impossible), you will still manage to offend some people, hurt their feelings, alienate them, &c. Have you really sinned against them? Perhaps they perceive evil, but have you truly offended God by walking in the steps of Christ? I would think that rather silly, though I am the one who reminds that God moves in mysterious ways.

Nothing in Creation should be expected to inherently make sense to us. One of the greatest unspoken arguments against the Bible in general is the literary principle that truth is necessarily stranger than fiction because fiction must necessarily start making sense at some point. Reality is not similarly obliged. What makes sense to God has no obligation to make sense to you or me.

You seem to read the text you quoted with a surface understanding. Nowhere does it indicate that an offense, although relative to perception, doesn't have an absolute quality; the lack of love and in that the lack of respect.

Do you think God's up on high getting heebie-jeebies every time sodomites go at it? The lack of love and lack of respect qualifies as a sin specifically because it is conduct off the beaten track of God's love. It is a choice to conduct oneself in a manner not reflecting God's will, which was the whole damn problem at Eden. In the end, Grace will come from God, from the forgiveness of Christ's love. The judgments of human minds are merely that. In offending the brother, one also offends God. If the brother is offended for no reason, angry by false pretense, it is still a good thing to make peace with him, and alleviate his burden of judgment. If he is sick with a lie, your truth might heal him. And whatsoever you do or do not do to the least of His brethren . . . .

All roads lead to God.

The trick here is to realise that you can be one person, or the other.

Perhaps it's the trick, but it ain't so tricky. I don't disagree.

Hence Jesus, words about the Eukaryotic cell in my eye and the California Redwood in yours, do unto others..., the statements about humility, the parable of the man who was thanking God for how righteous he was compared to the other. It's all a self-check routine. Check yourself; be humble, love yourself, love others, love God. The statement "do unto others etc." ultimately leads to a harmonic existence, if only it was followed - even in such an existence (however) some are still doomed to isolation from God (leave them to their beliefs) - such is the case when you isolate, (mis)interpret, err.

What a wonderful lecture.

If you would be so kind as to consider: Is genocide "good"? What if God orders it? Has God sinned in doing so?

Or ... did Christ forgive God as well?

That last question, of course, you need not take seriously; it's a mystical joke.

If we stood face to face, and I had the choice of beheading you or walking away, what is the "good" thing to do?

What, really, did Onan do wrong? He defied God.

The pattern, truly, seems quite obvious.

In the fourth year of Jehoi'akim the son of Josi'ah, king of Judah, this word came to Jeremiah from the LORD: "Take a scroll and write on it all the words that I have spoken to you against Israel and Judah and all the nations, from the day I spoke to you, from the days of Josi'ah until today. It may be that the house of Judah will hear all the evil which I intend to do to them, so that every one may turn from his evil way, and that I may forgive their iniquity and their sin."

Jeremiah 36.3, RSV

tiassa said:
For the record, in the English language, the word "evil" in 16.10 appears as "terrible things" in the New Living Translation, "calamity" in the New American Standard, "disaster" in the New King James, and "evil" in the King James, Revised Standard, Webster, Robert Young, J. N. Darby, American Standard, and Hebrew Names versions (see BlueLetter). The Hebrew is translated to "evil", as well.

Note that God will not respond, "Because it is not evil," but rather, "Because you have forsaken me". God has no qualm with the idea of visiting evil upon a people.

Nonetheless:

Pick a few. Running through a concordance of "sin" and "evil" isn't the most profitable research.

Even if you manage to walk perfectly in the steps of Christ (admittedly impossible), you will still manage to offend some people, hurt their feelings, alienate them, &c. Have you really sinned against them? Perhaps they perceive evil, but have you truly offended God by walking in the steps of Christ? I would think that rather silly, though I am the one who reminds that God moves in mysterious ways.

Nothing in Creation should be expected to inherently make sense to us. One of the greatest unspoken arguments against the Bible in general is the literary principle that truth is necessarily stranger than fiction because fiction must necessarily start making sense at some point. Reality is not similarly obliged. What makes sense to God has no obligation to make sense to you or me.

Do you think God's up on high getting heebie-jeebies every time sodomites go at it? The lack of love and lack of respect qualifies as a sin specifically because it is conduct off the beaten track of God's love. It is a choice to conduct oneself in a manner not reflecting God's will, which was the whole damn problem at Eden. In the end, Grace will come from God, from the forgiveness of Christ's love. The judgments of human minds are merely that. In offending the brother, one also offends God. If the brother is offended for no reason, angry by false pretense, it is still a good thing to make peace with him, and alleviate his burden of judgment. If he is sick with a lie, your truth might heal him. And whatsoever you do or do not do to the least of His brethren . . . .

All roads lead to God.

Perhaps it's the trick, but it ain't so tricky. I don't disagree.

What a wonderful lecture.

If you would be so kind as to consider: Is genocide "good"? What if God orders it? Has God sinned in doing so?

Or ... did Christ forgive God as well?

That last question, of course, you need not take seriously; it's a mystical joke.

If we stood face to face, and I had the choice of beheading you or walking away, what is the "good" thing to do?

What, really, did Onan do wrong? He defied God.

The pattern, truly, seems quite obvious.

But Tiassa, God does care about the wrongs man does to man. It grieves Him terribly even as it grieves us terribly for we are sons of God, knowing Him as we know ourselves. Loving Him as we love ourselves. This is why Jesus said "If you have seen me you have seen Him". Now how best should we present Our Father to eachother? If you see your brother doing wrong should you not rebuke him for yor Father's sake?

peace

c20

"If you have seen me you have seen him"
You just dont get it do you LSD.. A man is a man. Dont believe in the mystical, believe in man and the power of intellect.

Blindman said:
"If you have seen me you have seen him"
You just dont get it do you LSD.. A man is a man. Dont believe in the mystical, believe in man and the power of intellect.

I did this and man let me down. Where else may I go?

Thanks

c20

How sad.. Convert, reject the magical, man is the greatest loving force there is. We forgive, we help, we give warm hugs and kind words. We understand the fragile nature of our self and are the only source of empathy.

You don't need god. You need to find your love of man, and when you stop hating us you will find happiness again.

Blindman said:
How sad.. Convert, reject the magical, man is the greatest loving force there is. We forgive, we help, we give warm hugs and kind words. We understand the fragile nature of our self and are the only source of empathy.

You don't need god. You need to find your love of man, and when you stop hating us you will find happiness again.

I do not hate you. I do love you. Which is why I say believe and be saved. Salavation means being saved from death, that we might live together for ever. This is the message of the Christian faith that I have been explaining to you. Jesus was the first. We will follow.

peace

c20

I will never understand the fear of death that the Christians have. It is the fulcrum that holds your faith, a selfish desire to be immortal.

Blindman said:
I will never understand the fear of death that the Christians have. It is the fulcrum that holds your faith, a selfish desire to be immortal.

We hate death because it is to be seperated from love. We live in love all our lives, doing our best and so on. The bible gives me hope. I have faith in it because it tells me love never fails. I believe this because I have seen love and know it to be 'good'. I then hold firm to the fact that we are created beings. I only have to look outside my window to see other created beings. I then only have to look a little bit further to see God's signature all over it. I then have questions of God, why is there evil etc etc etc.
Then I read that God is patient and it made sense. He too has had to be patient with me. I asked him how He reconcilled all the wrongdoings. He said "Through Jesus". I asked Him how this was possible. He said "Because I love you". I said "Thank you Jesus". I said "But what of death?". He said "I hold the keys." I said "I am sorry. Obviously you do."
He smiled and said "Tell them of me whether they listen or not."
I said "But they will hate me"
He said "Tell them anyway"

peace

c20

c20H25N3o said:
We hate death because it is to be seperated from love. We live in love all our lives, doing our best and so on. The bible gives me hope. I have faith in it because it tells me love never fails. I believe this because I have seen love and know it to be 'good'. I then hold firm to the fact that we are created beings. I only have to look outside my window to see other created beings. I then only have to look a little bit further to see God's signature all over it. I then have questions of God, why is there evil etc etc etc.
Then I read that God is patient and it made sense. He too has had to be patient with me. I asked him how He reconcilled all the wrongdoings. He said "Through Jesus". I asked Him how this was possible. He said "Because I love you". I said "Thank you Jesus". I said "But what of death?". He said "I hold the keys." I said "I am sorry. Obviously you do."
He smiled and said "Tell them of me whether they listen or not."
Religious self indulgent dribble.

You must have some sort of vice, an angst that has destroyed your faith in humanity. Your pain is plain for all to see, you have rejected us and created a self absorbing reality in which to hide. It is a common thread in many a convert. You seek to align your self with a greater power, an ego shattered by past pain, needs to feel important.

Look deeper into your mind. The id is the source of your power. Look deep and see the truth.

Only those who have believed in a god since early childhood can claim to have a unified id and ego. Your fight against your id will destroy you, it will ultimately lead to mental disfunction.

Christianity is not to keen on introspection and that is part of the reason I preach to you my secular ways. I want you to be happy. I want you to love your ego. I want you to trust your id.

I empathize with your plight, I dont seek to destroy your faith only to easy your pain. Stop your ego in its self indulgent merry go round and you can move on to a more fulfilling life. Otherwise you will spend the rest of you life arguing with god.

What a waste of time..

edit:
Just to clarify. "id" is a noun. person's inherited unconscious psychological impulses.

Last edited:
This is why Jesus said "If you have seen me you have seen Him".

But nobody has seen him in 2000 years. The best modern day religious men can manage is to make an image of a scrawny white guy, when the realities would most certainly have differed from that. The reasons are quite obvious however, I mean as much as christianity seems to dislike or disagree with jews, you are actually worshipping a jew, and someone who would have looked like a jew. Westerners would absolutely hate the notion of worshipping someone of middle eastern appearance, and so jesus was made to look like a european, for the sake of europeans.

I'm amazed they don't create a 'black jesus' for when they're out preaching in Africa, or perhaps a dreadlocked jesus smoking a spliff when preaching in Jamaica.

SnakeLord said:
But nobody has seen him in 2000 years. The best modern day religious men can manage is to make an image of a scrawny white guy, when the realities would most certainly have differed from that. The reasons are quite obvious however, I mean as much as christianity seems to dislike or disagree with jews, you are actually worshipping a jew, and someone who would have looked like a jew. Westerners would absolutely hate the notion of worshipping someone of middle eastern appearance, and so jesus was made to look like a european, for the sake of europeans.

I'm amazed they don't create a 'black jesus' for when they're out preaching in Africa, or perhaps a dreadlocked jesus smoking a spliff when preaching in Jamaica.

But didn't you read? "He is Risen"
Stop thinking in terms of the world for two seconds and think sacred, spiritual, holy. Dont think of anything to do with the world though. Meditate on the words. Don't lean on your own understanding. There is light at the end of the tunnel.

peace

c20

c20H25N3o: God does care about the wrongs man does to man. It grieves Him terribly even as it grieves us terribly for we are sons of God, knowing Him as we know ourselves. Loving Him as we love ourselves. This is why Jesus said "If you have seen me you have seen Him". Now how best should we present Our Father to eachother? If you see your brother doing wrong should you not rebuke him for yor Father's sake?
M*W: Why is it that you can't answer the simple questions I put in front of you? Both you and Jenyar try to make God sound as if he has feelings of love and hate for us humans when it is only humanity who can feel these types of emotions. If there was a god, which I fully understand that no god could possibly exist anywhere but in our minds, a god would not be subject to human emotions. You all try to make your delusional god sound like a human, yet both of you demand that your delusional god is NOT human! 1) there is no god; or 2) you're lying and delusional.

peace

c20[/QUOTE]

c2H25N3o

As a late note to this post, I'm actually surprised at how much ground it allows to be covered, though I admit the winding path we seem to be following seems headed more toward the realm of abstraction. I had initially considered your post lacking substance, but I think it's more that I don't see the same degree of relevance. In the end, it's not that I think, "God doesn't care", but rather that I disagree which aspect of what God actually cares about.

But Tiassa, God does care about the wrongs man does to man. It grieves Him terribly even as it grieves us terribly for we are sons of God, knowing Him as we know ourselves. Loving Him as we love ourselves.

On the one hand, knowing God as we know ourselves means we don't really know God at all. Loving God as we love ourselves seems a difficult proposition; were that the case, what necessity would there be for Christ's redemption?

Yes, God does care about the wrongs of humankind, but it seems much akin to bad parenting: "Because I say so," doesn't hold up when what is said is so counterintuitive.

Why forfeiture? Why punishment? Why die a second death? Because what God cares about is not the wrongness of the wrong from one human unto another, but the wrongness of disobedience.

What is the limit of God's authority? What makes the asserted arrangement through Christ the only way? Did God plan that humanity should fall at Eden? Did God plan that He should repent Saul's kingship? Did God plan that His message should be entrusted to such unreliable stewardship as to create many sects, some of which are irreconcilably opposed doctrinally?

What grieves God is His lack of authority, and perhaps lack of foresight. What the hell did God expect? That a lie could stand for all eternity? What happened at Eden was a disaster, but I have yet to see an explanation that properly--as opposed to arbitrarily or without any coherent foundation--addresses God's role in the fall of humanity. That's because what we want to believe, what we're supposed to believe, constitutes an aberration.

God grieves not because humans suffer, but because they defy His rules. Were suffering the source of His grief, why not fix it? What limits God, aside from His will? That humans are expected to jump through hoops on a point of faith is God's will from the outset.

Such perverse arrogance--that humanity is that important to the Universe--is a product of the human minds that create and nourish this God. This Biblical God is a scourge against the human endeavor. Remember that Christian faith looks forward to the end of that endeavor.

This is why Jesus said "If you have seen me you have seen Him".

And yet whatsoever we do to the least, we also do to Him.

"Let not your hearts be troubled; believe in God, believe also in me. In my Father's house are many rooms; if it were not so, would I have told you that I go to prepare a place for you? And when I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and will take you to myself, that where I am you may be also. And you know the way where I am going."

Thomas said to him, "Lord, we do not know where you are going; how can we know the way?"

Jesus said to him,
"I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father, but by me. If you had known me, you would have known my Father also; henceforth you know him and have seen him."

Philip said to him, "Lord, show us the Father, and we shall be satisfied."

Jesus said to him,
"Have I been with you so long, and yet you do not know me, Philip? He who has seen me has seen the Father; how can you say, `Show us the Father'? Do you not believe that I am in the Father and the Father in me? The words that I say to you I do not speak on my own authority; but the Father who dwells in me does his works. Believe me that I am in the Father and the Father in me; or else believe me for the sake of the works themselves.

"Truly, truly, I say to you, he who believes in me will also do the works that I do; and greater works than these will he do, because I go to the Father. Whatever you ask in my name, I will do it, that the Father may be glorified in the Son; if you ask anything in my name, I will do it.

"If you love me, you will keep my commandments. And I will pray the Father, and he will give you another Counselor, to be with you for ever, even the Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it neither sees him nor knows him; you know him, for he dwells with you, and will be in you.

"I will not leave you desolate; I will come to you. Yet a little while, and the world will see me no more, but you will see me; because I live, you will live also. In that day you will know that I am in my Father, and you in me, and I in you. He who has my commandments and keeps them, he it is who loves me; and he who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I will love him and manifest myself to him."

John 14.1-21, RSV

I disagree that God's grief is why Jesus said what he did. What Jesus said in John 14.6-7 he also sums up at the end of that Gospel: "Follow me!" (21.22)

Additionally, John 14, reinforces that theme:

Judas (not Iscariot) said to him, "Lord, how is it that you will manifest yourself to us, and not to the world?"

Jesus answered him,
"If a man loves me, he will keep my word, and my Father will love him, and we will come to him and make our home with him. He who does not love me does not keep my words; and the word which you hear is not mine but the Father's who sent me . . . ."

John 14.22-24

The whole thing seems a demand of faith. What of 21.10? ("Do you not believe that I am in the Father and the Father in me?") The whole chapter revolves around questions of faith:

• "Lord, we do not know where you are going; how can we know the way?" (v.5)
• "Lord, show us the Father, and we shall be satisfied." (v.8)
• "Lord, how is it that you will manifest yourself to us, and not to the world?" (v.22)

Nonetheless, your questions remain:

Now how best should we present Our Father to each other?

"Honestly," is the first thing that comes to mind. But that in and of itself is insufficient. What can I tell people of the faith? I do not share that faith. I can tell you that the answers to your questions are contained in the Bible, but the only catch is that those answers are derived according to my understanding, and are among the reasons nobody's selling me on any truth of the Gospels beyond the metaphysical, philosophical, allegorical, or metaphorical; in other words, not on a literal, real, or even complete truth. And that would sort of, y'know, pose a problem or two in terms of how that perspective would relate to your Christian faith.

If you see your brother doing wrong should you not rebuke him for yor Father's sake?

Why for the Father's sake? Or, more specifically, doesn't that lend toward my point?

Admittedly, there is the Father's sake of the Father's grief, but that grief is what God wants.

Is it sickness? Prison? Hunger or thirst? I do not rebuke my brother for the sake of the Father, nor for my own. I will not pander to the Father in hope of redemption. If He judges, I will answer, and whatever will be is already known to Him.

Take, for instance, those American religious traditionalists that people like me find so irksome in terms of social cooperation and progress. These folks actually deserve my compassion, as I think they're wrong, and if I am to accept that they are not inherently evil I must consider the source of that wrongness. Are they deceived? Should I not, then, seek to correct their notions? Are they sick? Do I owe them symptomatic relief or a cure? Yet, sadly, in practice this compassion eludes me in part because these folks hold it at arm's length, regarding it warily as some form of condescension. What happens then is a tragedy of humanity: I know no better than many or most how to turn my back on my neighbors and say they don't matter.

If one chooses to believe in Christ, that's their choice and not mine to take away. But if that choice interferes with other people, it enters a realm where it can justly become a consideration among others to be assessed. (This is a consequence, not a principle: How can I judge a private faith the details or even presence of which I am unaware?) Additionally, I would take no pleasure to find out on the one hand, that Christ was the way, while to the other these human brethren of mine who have denied themselves the joys of life in search for an eternal reward discover that they went about it wrong and will die the death, anyway. It would be tragic to think that Mother Teresa burns. It would be tragic to think that my partner's father, ultimately a bright and decent fellow warped indescribably by Christian faith, should have given up his life's dreams and academic ambitions in order to pursue a lie.

I would hate to see my Christian neighbors jump through all those hoops for nothing. My human compassion would measure their loss, not God's. If I burn alongside them, that's fine. But it would still bug me to see these people forfeit everything for a lie. And if they're right that the Bible and Christ are the keys to God's Kingdom, well, things look rather grim for those folks. They're severely missing the point.

If we let God come out of the shoebox, a glorious abode unfolds.

A red rose absorbs all colours but red; red is therefore the one colour that it is not.

This Law, Reason, Time, Space, all Limitation blinds us to Truth.

All that we know of Man, Nature, God, is just that which they are not; it is that which they throw off as repugnant.

The HIMOG is only visible in so far as He is imperfect.

Then are they all glorious who seem not to be glorious, as the HIMOG is All-glorious Within?

It may be so.

How then distinguish the inglorious and perfect HIMOG from the inglorious man of earth?

Distinguish not!

But thyself Ex-tinguish: HIMOG art thou, and HIMOG shalt thou be.

Perdurabo, "Psalm 40"

tiassa said:
I differ;
Deut. 9:18 "Then once again I fell prostrate before the LORD for forty days and forty nights; I ate no bread and drank no water, because of all the sin you had committed, doing what was evil in the LORD's sight and so provoking him to anger."​
Evil is at the root of sin as the bible indicates. However, all evil committed by humans is sinful, yes, and is thus evil committed against God. However we cannot state that God commits evil (absolute). If this is done then we would have to conclude that God does not only know evil but has committed evil deeds and so at times God would be evil. That would mean God is going against Himself. This is, of course, if we define evil as something out of accordance with God's will. Your conjecture seems to allude to genocide (and what-not) as absolute evils (yet you still defend relative evil). I state it is only so relative to the Will of God. God is good. If we are to then state that God can be evil then how do we differentiate good vs. evil relative to God? It would have to be reduced to perception as you seem to see it. Then there is no absolute good and no absolute evil. A world without absolutes is senseless.
God's Will cannot be evil. In your scenario evil is relative, just as beauty is relative.
All roads lead to God.
Indeed. However, Not all roads, i.e. all roads do not lead to salvation or eternity with God. Only Jesus will lead you to salvation and an eternity with God.
Thus my statement that evil is defined relative to God's Will (against it) - all other perceptions of evil (not against God's Will - only perceived as so) are, inherrently, not evil. God cannot go against His Will. No square circles.

Thus we can assume, with regards to the verses you quoted, that, the evil that was spoken of was a relative evil, not absolute. It all contributes towards the greater good - God's Will. God is good and so is God's Will. Of course we will acknowledge that The Word of God spoken through a profit is spoken via the prophet's understanding.

Last edited:
tiassa said:
c2H25N3o

As a late note to this post, I'm actually surprised at how much ground it allows to be covered, though I admit the winding path we seem to be following seems headed more toward the realm of abstraction. I had initially considered your post lacking substance, but I think it's more that I don't see the same degree of relevance. In the end, it's not that I think, "God doesn't care", but rather that I disagree which aspect of what God actually cares about.

On the one hand, knowing God as we know ourselves means we don't really know God at all. Loving God as we love ourselves seems a difficult proposition; were that the case, what necessity would there be for Christ's redemption?

Yes, God does care about the wrongs of humankind, but it seems much akin to bad parenting: "Because I say so," doesn't hold up when what is said is so counterintuitive.

Why forfeiture? Why punishment? Why die a second death? Because what God cares about is not the wrongness of the wrong from one human unto another, but the wrongness of disobedience.

What is the limit of God's authority? What makes the asserted arrangement through Christ the only way? Did God plan that humanity should fall at Eden? Did God plan that He should repent Saul's kingship? Did God plan that His message should be entrusted to such unreliable stewardship as to create many sects, some of which are irreconcilably opposed doctrinally?

What grieves God is His lack of authority, and perhaps lack of foresight. What the hell did God expect? That a lie could stand for all eternity? What happened at Eden was a disaster, but I have yet to see an explanation that properly--as opposed to arbitrarily or without any coherent foundation--addresses God's role in the fall of humanity. That's because what we want to believe, what we're supposed to believe, constitutes an aberration.

God grieves not because humans suffer, but because they defy His rules. Were suffering the source of His grief, why not fix it? What limits God, aside from His will? That humans are expected to jump through hoops on a point of faith is God's will from the outset.

Such perverse arrogance--that humanity is that important to the Universe--is a product of the human minds that create and nourish this God. This Biblical God is a scourge against the human endeavor. Remember that Christian faith looks forward to the end of that endeavor.

And yet whatsoever we do to the least, we also do to Him.

I disagree that God's grief is why Jesus said what he did. What Jesus said in John 14.6-7 he also sums up at the end of that Gospel: "Follow me!" (21.22)

Additionally, John 14, reinforces that theme:

The whole thing seems a demand of faith. What of 21.10? ("Do you not believe that I am in the Father and the Father in me?") The whole chapter revolves around questions of faith:

• "Lord, we do not know where you are going; how can we know the way?" (v.5)
• "Lord, show us the Father, and we shall be satisfied." (v.8)
• "Lord, how is it that you will manifest yourself to us, and not to the world?" (v.22)

Nonetheless, your questions remain:

"Honestly," is the first thing that comes to mind. But that in and of itself is insufficient. What can I tell people of the faith? I do not share that faith. I can tell you that the answers to your questions are contained in the Bible, but the only catch is that those answers are derived according to my understanding, and are among the reasons nobody's selling me on any truth of the Gospels beyond the metaphysical, philosophical, allegorical, or metaphorical; in other words, not on a literal, real, or even complete truth. And that would sort of, y'know, pose a problem or two in terms of how that perspective would relate to your Christian faith.

Why for the Father's sake? Or, more specifically, doesn't that lend toward my point?

Admittedly, there is the Father's sake of the Father's grief, but that grief is what God wants.

Is it sickness? Prison? Hunger or thirst? I do not rebuke my brother for the sake of the Father, nor for my own. I will not pander to the Father in hope of redemption. If He judges, I will answer, and whatever will be is already known to Him.

Take, for instance, those American religious traditionalists that people like me find so irksome in terms of social cooperation and progress. These folks actually deserve my compassion, as I think they're wrong, and if I am to accept that they are not inherently evil I must consider the source of that wrongness. Are they deceived? Should I not, then, seek to correct their notions? Are they sick? Do I owe them symptomatic relief or a cure? Yet, sadly, in practice this compassion eludes me in part because these folks hold it at arm's length, regarding it warily as some form of condescension. What happens then is a tragedy of humanity: I know no better than many or most how to turn my back on my neighbors and say they don't matter.

If one chooses to believe in Christ, that's their choice and not mine to take away. But if that choice interferes with other people, it enters a realm where it can justly become a consideration among others to be assessed. (This is a consequence, not a principle: How can I judge a private faith the details or even presence of which I am unaware?) Additionally, I would take no pleasure to find out on the one hand, that Christ was the way, while to the other these human brethren of mine who have denied themselves the joys of life in search for an eternal reward discover that they went about it wrong and will die the death, anyway. It would be tragic to think that Mother Teresa burns. It would be tragic to think that my partner's father, ultimately a bright and decent fellow warped indescribably by Christian faith, should have given up his life's dreams and academic ambitions in order to pursue a lie.

I would hate to see my Christian neighbors jump through all those hoops for nothing. My human compassion would measure their loss, not God's. If I burn alongside them, that's fine. But it would still bug me to see these people forfeit everything for a lie. And if they're right that the Bible and Christ are the keys to God's Kingdom, well, things look rather grim for those folks. They're severely missing the point.

If we let God come out of the shoebox, a glorious abode unfolds.

Thank you for you post. I know it came from your heart.
The message of Jesus is ultimately revealing God's plan for a new Kingdom in which He rules. He is worthy to rule. I do not define God but rather He defines me. I have said before that I am His servant. A servant does not choose his duty but rather his duties are set at the beginning of the day. I say to God "Not my will but your will be done" because I know that I am selfish and lazy.
I know you do not believe my testimony when I say that I have received the Holy Spirit, but why do you not believe the testimony of others who testify on my behalf? Are they liars too? Surely it would be easier for us to renounce our faith and receive the love of the atheists who would then embrace us as one of them? But we do not. We stand up and face the ridicule and the bastardisation of the Holy Scriptures of our faith because the Spirit lives in us and we sense His grief. It grieves the Spirit of God when blasphemies are spoken against the Holiest of Holies. It grieves the Spirit of God when man tries to put the Eternal Father in a prison deep in their minds. God will go there with you but how is He supposed to help you if you keep denying Him.
Why do you think Jesus spoke this beattitude?

Matthew 5:4

Blessed are those who mourn for they shall be comforted.

Why do you think Jesus was refered to as God's suffering servant?

Trust me God grieves for mankind. This is why Jesus came, out of His great love for us.

When we mourn, we become like Him, not loving the things of this world but rather becoming like little children, tired of the slavery of this world, tired of the death, tired of the bloodshed. When we have this attitude of mourning we cry out as a child for help. ("My God why have you forsaken me?")

The Holy Spirit is also called The Comforter. He does comfort me in my troubles and opens up the most wonderful things about my life, turning all my curses into blessings. I cannot heal myself Tiassa. I had been fatally wounded by the adultery that was commited against me. I was on the edge of death and He rescued me when I cried out "God why have you forsaken me?"
As I lay their screaming at the injustices of being removed from the presense of my first born through another's act of free will, there was a presence near me and I turned to it and it said "Jesus wept"
On hearing this I remembered sweet baby Jesus, I remembered Him suffering on the cross and I remembered His words. I remembered that the reason He was dying was because He was accused of being God's Son. That was the little plaque above His head. That was his crime according to humanity. I saw that Jesus was absolutely spotless. I saw Him crying in the garden begging for the cup of suffering to be taken away. Whilst I was not suffering as that man had done, I did understand the injustice of suffering. And here I was suffering because I loved my daughter. I related to the injustice of the innocent suffering. I became like a child before the God of Jesus and said "Since you raised Jesus from the dead, All power belongs to you. I ask for the God of Jesus to forgive me my sins and restore me to yourself."
A voice said quietly in my mind "I have already done it"
I wept. It was true.

peace

c20

MarcAC

You might find this post, crafted in response to the question of when genocide is acceptable, amusing. Then again, you might not.

Meanwhile, I shall continue to think on the rest of it.

Back