Assisted suicide/right to commit suicide

Who should have access to assisted suicide?

• Anyone with a durable death wish should have access to assisted suicide.

Votes: 13 61.9%
  • only seriously ill people should have access to assisted suicide.

Votes: 6 28.6%
  • noone should have access to assisted suicide.

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • suicide should be illegal.

Votes: 1 4.8%

• Total voters
I think only seriously ill or suffering people should be granted access to assisted suicide.

However, personally, I am not supportive of suicide in any way and I do not understand it.

Does that include psychological suffering ?

There are psychiatrists that can do that perfectly.

Then I guess so. But I still don't support it, just because you get a boo boo doesn't mean you should end your life. People should fight through, not give up and die.

However, I am not against suicide if and only if the person in question is suffering alot.

Then I guess so. But I still don't support it, just because you get a boo boo doesn't mean you should end your life. People should fight through, not give up and die.

However, I am not against suicide if and only if the person in question is suffering alot.

I don't think it's as simple as that. People don't just decide to kill themselves for no reason, in their mind there is no other way.

To whatever.. there are a lot of reasons people commit suicide.
But mainly it comes down to either genuinely being deep in shit, or deep depression.

So why kill yourself? Most of this "depression" is caused by social systems that don't truly exist. The stupidest of which being economy. People that kill themselves over being in debt are stupid, money is a created system, it doesn't have true meaning.

Hell, if I were in that, I'd love to just go live in some peaceful mountains, all alone, peaceful, nothing but me and nature.

So why kill yourself? Most of this "depression" is caused by social systems that don't truly exist. The stupidest of which being economy. People that kill themselves over being in debt are stupid, money is a created system, it doesn't have true meaning.

Hell, if I were in that, I'd love to just go live in some peaceful mountains, all alone, peaceful, nothing but me and nature.

Hey don't ask me, I don't want to kill myself.
Of course the reasons they have are irrational.. well unless there really is no other way, but that virtually never happens (or so I hope).

The only thing I'd understand is severe pain and suffering.

Stuff like debt, is stupid, and you shouldn't kill yourself over it.

Personally I think people who are suicidal should seek help, but I also don't think I have the right to tell someone that their life is still worth living. I'm not them and I have no idea how they feel. I am however a strong supporter of euthanasia. If someone who is dying wants to die sooner than life support allows then that really should be their choice. No one should force them to hang on to life just so they can live an extra few months.

i think a person's right to control their own life is greater than that of their responsibility to family etc. i mean police can't stop you doing it if you're serious about it, making it illegal seems a desperate, laughable attempt to dissuade people. the idea that they're just depressed at the moment, well once they're dead they're not going to regret it (atheism - no afterlife). how do we know we're not just prolonging their agony by convincing them to live.

the atheist no afterlife theory is dangerous i've just realised, if everything is forgotten in death, it justifies a lot of killing. yay for religion providing social stability.

i think a person's right to control their own life is greater than that of their responsibility to family etc. i mean police can't stop you doing it if you're serious about it, making it illegal seems a desperate, laughable attempt to dissuade people. the idea that they're just depressed at the moment, well once they're dead they're not going to regret it (atheism - no afterlife). how do we know we're not just prolonging their agony by convincing them to live.

the atheist no afterlife theory is dangerous i've just realised, if everything is forgotten in death, it justifies a lot of killing. yay for religion providing social stability.

Huh ? This is backwards..

....If someone who is dying wants to die sooner than life support allows then that really should be their choice. No one should force them to hang on to life just so they can live an extra few months.

What if they are not dying from an illness? Kavorkian 'helped' people die who were not terminally ill.

and suicide shouldnt be made illegal, it gets rid of the shallow end of the gene pool

Totally agree. But why are the deathseekers always wishing it to be painless; it never is for the surviving family members and any friends left?

I think there is a positive correlation between intelligence and depression..
I think I heard that somewhere.
Does anyone know more about this ?

i think a person's right to control their own life is greater than that of their responsibility to family etc.

I agree with the above, I do not agree with this though

How does no afterlife justify murdering someone??!!

and suicide shouldnt be made illegal, it gets rid of the shallow end of the gene pool

Many people who dwarf you in intelligence and everything else that you might think you're good at, have committed suicide.

It IS illegal.
Well it is not really in the Netherlands where we live. If you're an adult, they can't hold you in a prison cell for long.

no its not emo, suicide is an emotion
Suicide is an emotion? that is retarded.

However, personally, I am not supportive of suicide in any way and I do not understand it.
What is hard to understand?

1) person does not like life
2) person commits suicide

Totally. Religion is an excuse used in many killings. rofl

What if they are not dying from an illness? Kavorkian 'helped' people die who were not terminally ill.

Because he believed in people's own right to choose whether to live or die, regardless of being healthy or not? What's wrong with that?

Back