Ask any question you want about Christianity

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd hate to be Jesus's younger brother... lol
It would be kind of hard to live up to him.

'Now little Steve, can't you try be alittle more like Jesus, he turned water into wine you know, why can't you do that?'

Matthew 13:55
"Isn't this the carpenter's son? Isn't his mother's name Mary, and aren't his brothers James, Joseph, Simon and Judas?
Galatians 1:19
I saw none of the other apostles–only James, the Lord's brother.
not to be confused with the disciples:

Matt.10:2
These are the names of the twelve apostles: first, Simon (who is called Peter) and his brother Andrew; James son of Zebedee, and his brother John; 3Philip and Bartholomew; Thomas and Matthew the tax collector; James son of Alphaeus, and Thaddaeus; 4Simon the Zealot and Judas Iscariot, who betrayed him.

They only appear a few times in the New Testament, where it is clear they had no more or less importance than any of Jesus' followers. There are probably a few stories as to what happened to them, maybe in the apocrypha.

Acts 1:14 They all joined together constantly in prayer, along with the women and Mary the mother of Jesus, and with his brothers.

They were probably very close, and they seem to have supported Jesus, but did not believe in him while he was with them.

John 7
3Jesus' brothers said to him, "You ought to leave here and go to Judea, so that your disciples may see the miracles you do. 4No one who wants to become a public figure acts in secret. Since you are doing these things, show yourself to the world."
5For even his own brothers did not believe in him.
6Therefore Jesus told them, "The right time for me has not yet come; for you any time is right. 7The world cannot hate you, but it hates me because I testify that what it does is evil.

it is good to know that maria was not a barren desert. Maybe his brothers didn't believe jesus because they had some inside family knowledge...such as certain rumours about maria having a fling with the stable lad 9 months before jesus was born. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back