Are you listening to music?

An interesting phenomenon is that instrumental music is being replaced with lyrics and with rap at its most extreme.

It's a desensitization of response to frequency harmonics and the reliance on words to give the "performance" any meaning at all.

From children and adults performing opera
and
to current trends of just chaotic noise

Could you elaborate? How does your statement apply to the two examples of opera?

This went up with Voyager on the golden album, along with Bach and Beethoven. After a few passes it grew on me. My cat likes it too! B-)

Last edited:
A young lady sent me this after our first date. I told her I was honored but I have one question: Do you want to date me or do you want to eat me? :confused:

I showed this to a guy at work and he said it gave him nightmares.

This is my favorite song by Beirut

This is the song that first turned me on to Beirut. So unusual, I read them as a mix of alternative, Eastern European, and Mariachi!

An interesting phenomenon is that instrumental music is being replaced with lyrics and with rap at its most extreme.

It's a desensitization of response to frequency harmonics and the reliance on words to give the "performance" any meaning at all.

From children and adults performing opera

Again, I don't understand your point. In that performance, Jackie sang O Mio Babbino Caro, which was written in 1918.

Again, I don't understand your point. In that performance, Jackie sang O Mio Babbino Caro, which was written in 1918.
And it was beautiful. It was the popular music in those days.

I am talking about the dumbing down of the instrumental part of "popular music".
Today the most popular of popular music is HipHop/Rap. I hear the rap, but where is the music?

Ah well, my favorite music is Jazz and I am especially enamored with Pat Metheny.
This is my current favorite mini-concerto; "Heat of the day"
Lyle Mays' piano solo is a spellbinding tour de force about a "hot day in the desert".

Back