Are you convinced?

lg,

But its not really "naturalistic" becaus ethere ar emany things inthe natural world that escape its ability to view
It's nothing to do with a claim that they can view everything but that there is nothing to indicate anything other than natural. Or can you show something non-natural?

lg,

It's nothing to do with a claim that they can view everything but that there is nothing to indicate anything other than natural. Or can you show something non-natural?

well we have been dealing with the conundrum of the mind - obviously it exists and it also obviously does not hold up to reductionist scrutiny (electrons and neurons).

So if you want to claim reductionism (or natural world view, or however you want to phrase it) is the means of indicating all there is , it runs into difficulties.

well we have been dealing with the conundrum of the mind - obviously it exists and it also obviously does not hold up to reductionist scrutiny (electrons and neurons).

It holds up to scientific scrutiny.

So if you want to claim reductionism (or natural world view, or however you want to phrase it) is the means of indicating all there is , it runs into difficulties.

What difficulties, exactly?

LG,

How so? Do you have a reference?

I don't need one, however if you know of a reference that establishes the relationships between electrons and neurons (or some other molecular operation) which makes the cuckoo lay its eggs in the nests of other birds, it could help your case considerably

Lg,

So how does that lead to a conclusion that the mind does not exist?

LG,

I don't need one, however if you know of a reference that establishes the relationships between electrons and neurons (or some other molecular operation) which makes the cuckoo lay its eggs in the nests of other birds, it could help your case considerably
What case? I don't have a case here.

I'm interested to know what information led to your conclusions about reductionism. Has it been taken from a particular study or is it something you have made up for yourself?

You keep making these claims and up until now I have ignored them since you offer no support for them.

lg,

If you accept a paradigm as the final last word in determining phenomena, what else can a phenomena be that exists outside of it?
That was gibberish. Please use English.

Cris

What case? I don't have a case here.
Eventhough you haven't said it directly, your case is that reductionism is the final last word in determining evidence (since you insist that if a scientist has not established the physical, ie molecular, reality of something, there is no evidence for it)

I'm interested to know what information led to your conclusions about reductionism. Has it been taken from a particular study or is it something you have made up for yourself?
The limits of reductionism are quite apparent - I have quoted numerous established scientists to the same effect - the whole discussion is a sub branch of abiogenesis

You keep making these claims and up until now I have ignored them since you offer no support for them.
If I claim "there is no proof that the mind falls within the reductionist model" what support is required? (after all if it wasn't a fact you could quite easily pull out evidence to the contary)

lg,

That was gibberish. Please use English.

If you say that all silky oak trees can be found in europe, what does such a view make of the claim that a silky oak tree is in America?.

In otherwords when you make a claim about the absolute limitations of determining phenomena (that everything can be reduced to observations of push/pull forces of atoms) you have a stance on all claims that are contrary to it (ie - they don't exist)

LG,

Eventhough you haven't said it directly, your case is that reductionism is the final last word in determining evidence (since you insist that if a scientist has not established the physical, ie molecular, reality of something, there is no evidence for it).
You’ve read a great deal into things I have never said or implied. I have never placed any limits on what might constitute evidence, even to the extent that logic itself can be evidence. I have also suggested you offer alternatives, to which you have confusingly and consistently responded that reductionism will not work, without offering alternatives. But the scientific method is not the same as reductionism, and I hope you realize that such methods do not imply that absence of evidence is evidence of absence.

So far no one has demonstrated truths outside of science and logic. If you know of anything then come forward and allow it to be scrutinized.
The limits of reductionism are quite apparent - I have quoted numerous established scientists to the same effect - the whole discussion is a sub branch of abiogenesis
I’ve not noticed any such references in our discussions. And I would disagree that these limits you suggest are apparent, clearly they are not apparent to me.

If I claim "there is no proof that the mind falls within the reductionist model" what support is required? (after all if it wasn't a fact you could quite easily pull out evidence to the contary)
I simply do not see how reductionism leads to such a conclusion. Possibly it doesn’t help that apparently I am not a reductionist.

I still don’t see how reducing all evidence to basic matter and energy leads to a conclusion that the mind does not exist. You will need to explain the reasoning before I can comment further.

I just wondered if anyone has had their views changed, in either a major or a minor way, by the arguments put forward in this category. It seems to me that the majority of posts come under the heading 'I'm right, you're wrong'.

I can't say that there's been anything posted in the Religion forum that has changed my views beyond affirmation and expansion upon my existing views. I have yet to do a 180 on anything due to some truly prophetic rambling.

LG,

In otherwords when you make a claim about the absolute limitations of determining phenomena (that everything can be reduced to observations of push/pull forces of atoms) you have a stance on all claims that are contrary to it (ie - they don't exist).
Ahh I think I’m approaching the error you are making.

It is not that there are claims concerning absolute limitations, it is that no one can show there are other possibilities. Until then science proceeds with what it knows until something else is presented. The good thing about science is that it is entirely open to change and is not dogmatic.

If you say that all silky oak trees can be found in europe, what does such a view make of the claim that a silky oak tree is in America?.
A nice analogy that demonstrates your error. In science nothing is considered an absolute. In this case science would say “all silky oak trees so far discovered have been in Europe”. The discovery of such trees elsewhere would lead science to update its knowledge base.

Not sure if science overrides your perception of reductionism, but clearly I am not a reductionist according to your definition.

I have met people that that did not call themselves agnostic or even humanist that have become atheist because of discussions with atheists.
I think there is such a thing as an anti-epiphany. One where a person suddenly realizes that religion is just bunk, bologna and hokum.

Real BT,

I think there is such a thing as an anti-epiphany. One where a person suddenly realizes that religion is just bunk, bologna and hokum.
I think actually that is an epithany - and I can certainly relate to that realization.

Cris

“ In otherwords when you make a claim about the absolute limitations of determining phenomena (that everything can be reduced to observations of push/pull forces of atoms) you have a stance on all claims that are contrary to it (ie - they don't exist). ”

Ahh I think I’m approaching the error you are making.

It is not that there are claims concerning absolute limitations, it is that no one can show there are other possibilities. Until then science proceeds with what it knows until something else is presented. The good thing about science is that it is entirely open to change and is not dogmatic.

The problem is that it has no higher paradigm to operate out of than reductionism, so anything that falls out side of it is determined, by default, not to exist.

“ If you say that all silky oak trees can be found in europe, what does such a view make of the claim that a silky oak tree is in America?. ”

A nice analogy that demonstrates your error. In science nothing is considered an absolute. In this case science would say “all silky oak trees so far discovered have been in Europe”. The discovery of such trees elsewhere would lead science to update its knowledge base.

The problem is that such a discovery would work out of a different presentation of evidence - if one insisted that europe was the only place to find oak trees (or as you say, that matter is all we have in existence), then it reaches a kind of stalemate (presenting the paradigm of knowable matter you ask "where is the evidence of life")

Not sure if science overrides your perception of reductionism, but clearly I am not a reductionist according to your definition.
Unless you can accept that there is matter and living consciousness you are a reductionist - so I think you fit the bill quite snuggly

Back