Are you an angry atheist?

The way one behaves on a daily basis, the thoughts one entertains, the feelings that one has, the things one does surely have to be closely related to one's convictions about self, God, the Universe and everything.

To say that there is no (relevant) connection between one's daily mental and emotional states, actions, and the convictions about self, God, the Universe and everything
is to say that human reason and intention are irrelevant and that we are basically like machines, preprogrammed and with no measure of control over our lives.

Pretty much < Go to school , work, eat, sleep , pay taxes and die .

Arriving at the truth is best done without emotion, for it may cloud one's vision.

Those with little or nothing to push forward with, such as those with vision of the invisible and imaginary born of imagination may resort to pushing against science, for example, anger then perhaps entering the fray.

After truth and/or deception is uncovered, on may then certainly direct any anger as a means for change. Many such 'bad' emotions can be turned, for example, a fear of a situation can be turned inside out into the excitement of adventure.

No it's not like saying that at all.

Whether you believe a god created humans or evolution created humans has nothing to do with your temper. It's insulting to think so. People reach an inner calm through religion or through scientific knowledge. Or both.

I wasn't suggesting that temper comes first, and then comes the belief in God or evolution or whatever.

Just that temper and beliefs are connected.

This thread needs a poll. Where is sderenzi when you need him? Saaaaaaammmmmm!

Arriving at the truth is best done without emotion, for it may cloud one's vision.

Those with little or nothing to push forward with, such as those with vision of the invisible and imaginary born of imagination may resort to pushing against science, for example, anger then perhaps entering the fray.

After truth and/or deception is uncovered, on may then certainly direct any anger as a means for change. Many such 'bad' emotions can be turned, for example, a fear of a situation can be turned inside out into the excitement of adventure.
Yeah Man face fears . The thrill of adventure!! Live Life while you can

Really?

I see it as natural selection. Like those churches that do the whole snake thing, where they pick up rattle snakes and let them bite them and pray to God for a cure. I see that as natural selection at work. Weed out the stupid people.:)

Saves me having to mow them down at another time in my car or with my supermarket trolley.

That makes me think of one of my true stories . His name was Something Hardin . Yes direct descendant of the Out Law Hardin of the old west in America. James Westly type disposition by inheritance. Anyway the guy was strung out on Meth and one day he found him self wandering around the foot hills of California and came onto a big diamond back rattler . He tried to catch the rascal and didn't fair so well . He got bit. Well he wandered around the foot hills for about 2 days wondering if he was going to die , feeling sick . He lived to tell Me about it . He was still strung out from Meth and tweeking like a bastard, but it was the beginning of him thinking about rehab . The last time I saw him he was clean and had been for about one year . I haven't seen him in many years and hope he still is

Last edited:
The way one behaves on a daily basis, the thoughts one entertains, the feelings that one has, the things one does surely have to be closely related to one's convictions about self, God, the Universe and everything.

To say that there is no (relevant) connection between one's daily mental and emotional states, actions, and the convictions about self, God, the Universe and everything
is to say that human reason and intention are irrelevant and that we are basically like machines, preprogrammed and with no measure of control over our lives.
I don't follow your logic at all... And my personal observations lead me to believe there is absolutely no connection (good or bad) between one's temper and profession of belief. I've found "hot heads" and "calm waters" among people of all (and no) faiths.

Do you really "believe" that if you found proof there was no god that your personality would suddenly change?

Some atheists are easygoing about other people's views. But some aren't. If you're an atheist, are you easygoing or are you one of those angry ones?
I am angry at the Abrahamist religions, in the abstract, for all the evil their members have done to civilization--which far outweighs their occasional good deeds. I am angry at certain leaders of the Abrahamist religions who inspire their flock to do this evil.

In everyday life I find that the majority of the people I meet who identify themselves as Abrahamists are, on the average, not significantly more evil than most other demographic groups. People who disagree with me about the foolishness of supernaturalism are no more evil than the ones who disagree with me about dogs, drugs or rock and roll--much less those who insist that the solution to the problems brought about and/or aggravated by government is to make government even larger and more expensive. So I am not generally angry at them, unless I encounter a whole group of them spewing evil, such as chanting at an anti-immigrant rally, campaigning for evolution denialism to be taught in the schools, or shouting homophobic slogans at a military funeral.

I spout anti-Abrahamist rhetoric on SciForums because it is the only place I go where intolerance of religion is not only acceptable but institutionalized. Anyone who comes here to futilely defend what is in essence antiscience, to a community of scientists, can't expect to be treated kindly. But I don't go around doing that in real life. Two of my best friends are devout Christians, and on the rare occasions when we discuss religion we don't find much to argue about. These are "real" Christians who think it's more important to go around helping people than it is to convert them. I love the bumper sticker that says, "Kindness is Christianity in work clothes." Whenever my wife and I are moved to make a big donation to an international cause like the famine in Ethiopia 30 years ago or the earthquake in Haiti, we send the money to World Vision International. They do the best job of helping people in need. Here in America, it's the Salvation Army.

My country's constitution enshrines freedom of religion, and no matter how awful that seems at first blush, all of humanity's experiments with other alternatives have turned out astoundingly worse.

Just try to stamp out one religion and you end up killing millions, or tens of millions of people. Stamp out all of them and you may end up all alone on a planet that smells like burned flesh. No one deserves to die, be deported, imprisoned or denied housing or a job because he can't figure out that religion is idiotic. Lots of other things are idiotic. If we get rid of all the idiots there won't be many people left.

I do make a point of living and working in places where atheism is not considered remarkable and where the people who go to church do it as much for the camaraderie as the mythology.
This thread needs a poll. Where is sderenzi when you need him
Darkzy is too busy trying to figure out how to get to Hawaii and live there without working.

I don't follow your logic at all... And my personal observations lead me to believe there is absolutely no connection (good or bad) between one's temper and profession of belief. I've found "hot heads" and "calm waters" among people of all (and no) faiths.

I think this only barely skims the surface of things.

Surely there is a world of difference between a beginner theist and an advanced theist, for example.

Surely there is a world of difference between a beginner theist and an advanced theist, for example.
Yeah, that'd be called age...

Another of my observations is that people mellow as they grow older.

What ? The bible is plain and simple . The message is clear and concise. Forgive is the main message I read . It is the reoccurring theme people seem to forget. Even the old testament laws were given to the people because they could not understand the meaning of forgiveness . Now that stinks of the concept of a God Attribute called Mercy . A Merciful forgiving God . I don't think it takes great study to figure that out, just a little bit of reading the book cover to cover with out an agenda will tell you this.

I am angry at the Abrahamist religions, in the abstract, for all the evil their members have done to civilization--which far outweighs their occasional good deeds. I am angry at certain leaders of the Abrahamist religions who inspire their flock to do this evil.

In everyday life I find that the majority of the people I meet who identify themselves as Abrahamists are, on the average, not significantly more evil than most other demographic groups. People who disagree with me about the foolishness of supernaturalism are no more evil than the ones who disagree with me about dogs, drugs or rock and roll--much less those who insist that the solution to the problems brought about and/or aggravated by government is to make government even larger and more expensive. So I am not generally angry at them, unless I encounter a whole group of them spewing evil, such as chanting at an anti-immigrant rally, campaigning for evolution denialism to be taught in the schools, or shouting homophobic slogans at a military funeral.

I spout anti-Abrahamist rhetoric on SciForums because it is the only place I go where intolerance of religion is not only acceptable but institutionalized. Anyone who comes here to futilely defend what is in essence antiscience, to a community of scientists, can't expect to be treated kindly. But I don't go around doing that in real life. Two of my best friends are devout Christians, and on the rare occasions when we discuss religion we don't find much to argue about. These are "real" Christians who think it's more important to go around helping people than it is to convert them. I love the bumper sticker that says, "Kindness is Christianity in work clothes." Whenever my wife and I are moved to make a big donation to an international cause like the famine in Ethiopia 30 years ago or the earthquake in Haiti, we send the money to World Vision International. They do the best job of helping people in need. Here in America, it's the Salvation Army.

My country's constitution enshrines freedom of religion, and no matter how awful that seems at first blush, all of humanity's experiments with other alternatives have turned out astoundingly worse.

Just try to stamp out one religion and you end up killing millions, or tens of millions of people. Stamp out all of them and you may end up all alone on a planet that smells like burned flesh. No one deserves to die, be deported, imprisoned or denied housing or a job because he can't figure out that religion is idiotic. Lots of other things are idiotic. If we get rid of all the idiots there won't be many people left.

I do make a point of living and working in places where atheism is not considered remarkable and where the people who go to church do it as much for the camaraderie as the mythology.
Darkzy is too busy trying to figure out how to get to Hawaii and live there without working.

This all depends on what kind of rock and roll you play Bucko . You better be playing the good rock and roll real good or I am gong to go against my nature of being fun loving and hurt you Bad and be Mad

Yeah, that'd be called age...

Another of my observations is that people mellow as they grow older.

But we can also readily observe that there are people of the same age, on nominally the same philosophical or religious path, but who are nonetheless very different.

Back