Are the fundies gaining ground?

Turduckin

Turduckin
You bitch an awful lot about free speech and hypocritical Christians who burn books. In America, shouldn't people be allowed to burn books, or flags or crosses?
Of course they should. I submit that the issue is not about the act of protest in and of itself, but rather the implications. Consider, please, a simple comparison:

- Flag burning: The burning of a nation's flag is a harsh protest against the actions of its people or their government. In the Islamic world, the burning of the American flag is more common than it is in the US, but in this country, it is the last bastion of civil condemnation--it is a step short of violence. As a pacifist, it becomes the ultimate demonstration short of standing the line under fire from police or, heaven forbid, daring an invading army to plow through a million civilians. What amuses me is that any Flag Burning Amendment must include the language that The First Amendment is hereby amended as follows. In the American religion of patriotism, this is tantamount to amending the Bible in Christianity.

- Cross burning: The primary problem with cross burning comes generally when someone trespasses on private property in order to commit their demonstration there. Cross-burning has been used as a threat for so long in this country that people generally don't like it at all. But I'm sure that if I hit the heavy metal circuit devotedly enough, I can within the space of a year catch one or two shows at which crosses are burned. Admittedly, the presence of the KKK confuses the debate, but people ceased being willing to think reasonably about the KKK a long time ago, and with good reason. When the KKK lights up a cross on George Dubya's lawn, I think the public will look less angrily upon cross burning.

- Book burning: What is ironic about book burning is that it is generally a protest against the publication or permission of a book. The protest, in the US, at least, amounts to asserting that the First Amendment is only available to some--those of like mind to the burners. It is similar to a PTA protest that occurred in the Salem-Keizer, Oregon school district when I lived a state south of here. A Christian woman demanded the removal of a book--Robert McCammon's Demon Walk from the school library because it violated her rights. Now, the argument was tenuous to begin with, but essentially went like this: Even though McCammon did not praise Satan, he presented a character named Demon who was not evil, a condition which runs counter to Christian tradition. Thus, her First Amendment rights were violated by a government endorsement of anti-christian ideas. Her right to free speech, to be represented by a public institution, could only be respected by the removal of the book and the cancellation of that same right for the author. It was a paradoxical notion: "I have my rights only when others do not have theirs."

I'm led to believe the following issue might be at play:

- What you seem to be objecting to: That people should not be allowed to burn books, crosses, &c.
- What I am actually saying: That an inherently problematic condition needs to be considered--Is the Christian's (in this case) First Amendment right or idea of free speech impinged by the existence of the same rights in others?

And what makes it important to the larger issue is the seemingly paradoxical device at play. It recurs as a pattern in fundamentalist engagement with the political method: We are only equal if Christians are better.

And this is why the fundamentalists are losing ground. More of them can yell it louder, but people are officially getting sick of putting up with it. People are generally smart enough to not forcibly silence them, but after a while, if they can offer no new ideas, it should suffice to note their objections for the record and get along with more important things than deciding whose equality is greater or lesser than the next guy's.
Or is free speech delimited solely by your opinion of what does and does not qualify?
It has nothing to do with that; I'm almost disappointed in your suggestion. Rather, it's just that I can call a spade a crow, a buck a jigaboo, and this fundamentalist interpretation of equality paradoxical.

It is, specifically, about the problems inherent in demanding respect for one's own rights through the suspension of those rights in others.

Beyond that, such a point is only important to the topic because of other expressed positions. To be honest, I'm surprised at how much play the point is getting.

Consider: Twisted Sister's Under the Blade Lp was banned for sale in the United States for several years. (Of the two copies I've owned over time, one was an Italian import complete with a warning that it can't be sold in the US ... heh.) Now, the best I can explain it to you is that I can't figure out why this album was banned. Compared to Eminem, this album is a Sunday School primer. Nearest I can tell you is to find the nearest metalhead to you who still listens to Twisted Sister and ask him to play the album for you in its entirety. And the whole time, think, "This album was banned." And why? For offending the sensibilities of conservative, Christian Americans. I mean, Twisted Sister was subpoenaed by the US Senate! At stake were common American, Christian-derived "values". My favorite part of the story, however, is that Twisted Sister never let anyone forget what happened. Their albums stayed scary. Well, except for that last one. But they kept shooting back the whole time. And yes, they found themselves in that odd moment of realizing that the only way to accommodate the rights of others was to forfeit their own. And really, would you give up your right to free speech just so someone who condemns you can feel secure in theirs?

Any number of things can characterize it well. Go read through the old Bob Larson tantrums about rock and roll, compare his notes on lyrics with the actual songs (Dio's "All the Fools Sailed Away" is a great example) and wonder why he strives to be so dishonest. Realize that he doesn't know the songs he's complaining about, and wonder why he's complaining. Why are books like Are You There God, Its Me Margaret? (Judy Blume), Bridge to Terabithia (Katherine Paterson), or A Wrinkle in Time (Madeleine L'Engle) objectionable? And what do those criteria matter to the point that they are among the most frequently-challenged books (most frequently demanded to be censored)? How is it that school policies are modified in detrimental manners (e.g. sex ed) in order to accommodate Christian complaints? I once lived in a "clothing optional" town, where special legislation had been written specifically to allow women to go topless at the very least. Now, my question is Why do we have to write special legislation to allow anyone to go topless or naked? Whence comes such a standard of indecency that a woman cannot show her breasts in public?

None of it really makes sense when I stop to examine it. Fundamentalism, perhaps according to its somewhat academic definitions bears some theoretical possibility, I suppose. But none of it explains the public representation of meddling and exploitation. The laws of the US are for everybody. Well, in theory. Poppy Bush didn't like atheists, and Dubya seems to think the laws aren't for Muslims, so .... But I think you understand what I'm after. There is the faith on paper, and then there is the living experience. That living experience is a bizarre idea of reality at present. The poor representation offered by the fundamentalist wing does stain the whole name of Christianity, especially in the US.

thanx much,
Tiassa :cool:

Originally posted by TiassaIt has nothing to do with that; I'm almost disappointed in your suggestion.
You have a right to be disappointed. Please accept my apology. I was in a bitchy mood when I typed that whole thing. I've been working 8 on/24 off for a week now and i can't think straight.

Originally posted by tiassa
I might inquire, then, your opinion of Protestants?

*indeed, I am in a protestant church.......the difference is that the protestants didnt take on a whole new book, they kept with the Bible, in fact (most) looking closer to it than the Catholics

Honestly, I won't argue with that definition. However, it presents a diversity problem. It's a very liberal definition that can be applied by a diverse range of people both good and not so good to their interpretations of faith. While I hate the idea of clubbing you with the Inquisitions, please understand that those torturers and judges and executioners could very well plead their case for proper faith by your definition.-

*I understand and I'm not saying we should repeat the Inquisitions (in fact I'm quite against that), I just think we should be looking closer at our brothers and sisters actions.........and I do need a better definition, i'm just not sure what it is right now!

Well, good for them. Really. But I'm puzzled at what that has to do with anything. Do you refer to a group of people who consider themselves fundamentalists? Presuming yes, for sake of relevance to the topic, oh ... heck. No comment. I'll get to it when we get around to it later:

*it was meant to show that most are open to the 'outside world' in response to your comment about plugging ears and yelling at the top of the lungs

This presents an opportunity to offer an unsolicited bit of strategy advice: So long as there exists such a voice of fundamentalist pettiness about American Christianity at least, it will be difficult for more legitimate and reconciled forms of Christianity to minister to the people. Please understand, when we the infidels combine our hopes to stop the press of fundamentalist Christian politics, we are characterized as bigots against Christians. In short, we cannot fix what is wrong with the presentation of Christianity. Do not leave your brothers and sisters in Christ astray on the roads they travel. Whatsoever you do not do for the least of His brethren--did you leave the sheep astray? And, as it works out, such a course will open more roads to evangelize to the infidels with integrity and influence.

*thank you for that bit of advice......I suppose the answer is to find the fundies and make them understand what they're doing.....but thats not likely to happen!

Fair enough. What I'm after is that no matter how popular they are, nothing can make them a good band.

*I'm really not sure exactly why you say this (I think I missed the key further back in the discussion)

Eh, I'm a human being. The hard part is that it reduces the potential of an idea like Christianity to be effectively good. Sure I think the theology's off, but that shouldn't matter. Where it matters is where social cooperation collapses and common cause gets put aside for the prestige of divisions. I, and many others, shall endure, for there are greater hardships to suffer than some annoying people taxing the electoral and judicial systems. But my broader point throughout this topic is more related to my assertion that fundamentalist influence is declining and offering some reasons why. The first thing is to make clear that these processes occur, that these events happen. The next thing to do is to figure out what they mean. And then we might have some reasonable idea of what to do about them.

*agreed

For instance, we can agree that many people bearing the marque of Christianity behave in manners detrimental to their community, their family, in other words countervalent to their faith. We can also, I think, agree that Christians are humans too, and thus bound to spend a certain amount of time countervailing their own faith. Where people run up against problems where fundamentalist Christianity is involved is that the countervailing seems cyclical and it sometimes seems as if history is good enough for nobody, and everyone must figure out what's wrong with this or that behavior for their own selves. Now, I won't deny a body its proper right of self-determination, but it ain't faith ....

*I agree to all of this.......tho I think some of it (history) extends to many other groups as well

I would love it if anybody could recite to me the standing version of the theory of evolution. People tend to regard it as static like a creationist assertion. But evolution is a dynamic theory, constantly growing and refining Science is an ongoing process: what the evidence most strongly suggests becomes the working theory. And there are enough facts in place around what we consider the theory of evolution as to secure its general place; what the detail resolves to be will be what the detail resolves to be. But if the evolution was not a viable scientific device, the evidence would clearly have shown it by now. One can only go so far at present when saying, "This is how it is," but it's not like you're discovering a condition whereby 2+2 does not equal 4.

*yeah what is the standing theory?

I was thinking more along the lines of what happens if God is a mathematical equation?I hate to be picky, but can you give us more "true" Christians? Or not, as some would prefer. But I would like to see how they function in the real world; "true" Christians are mere postulations insofar as I can tell.

*what do you mean by 'give us more true christians'??

I thank you, as well, for your own kindness. Please understand, though, that in terms of the topic, you don't sound too fundie. If the fundamentalist echelon operated more according to your faith expressions, they probably wouldn't concern people enough to have a discussion like we're having. We can never stamp out the undereducated, volatile interpretations of faith, but over time we might be able to make them so irrelevant to the situation that progress becomes that much more possible for the rest of humanity.

*thank you, agreed

Tiassa ~
Separation of church and state in action :(

Here is a little dittie that cropped up near my home town recently. The county supervisors have an invocation before each meeting, and select a religious leader from a list comprised solely of Judeo-Christian clergy. A Wiccan Priestess (and Unitarian) asked for the right to be added to the list and lead an invocation, and was denied because Wicca "is neo-pagan and invokes polytheistic deities" - thus making a mockery of freedom of religion in the state that claims historical pride for just that issue. Your worried about the 'implications' behind burning books. I think the ramifications here are far more profound.

Indeed

Turduckin

They are, indeed, ramifications more profound. Ordinarily, I would use this issue as my springboard into a long rant about This is why you can't have prayer in public institutions, but I think that point is really part of a different debate.

It would seem redundant, as well, to spend a thousand words recounting the ways in which this further tarnishes the public perception of the Christian paradigm.

The ironic thing is that it provides a response to an issue I've mulled for a couple of years. We have a newspaper up here called The New Times, which seems to be separate from other journals of the same name. It is, essentially, a New Age newspaper prone to rather silly articles. But some time ago they ran a story about the lack of civic participation among Wiccans and other pagans, as if it was good enough for them to hold private faith and, because of an anti-evangelical stance, never act on that faith. Which is why I found it ironic that from the beginning, George W. Bush intended to exclude Wiccans from the faith-based initiative program.

Yet in the face of such incidents as you have noted, Turduckin, and given the stance of the nation's executive, I'm starting to understand part of the cause of the trend noted some time ago by The New Times.

Thank you for pointing this one out to me. Just for the heck of it:

- South Carolina gubernatorial candidate Reb Sutherland, undated letter: For the record, I do not represent the liberal atheists, and I will never represent them. This country was founded on the basis of the freedom to practice religion, and an atheist has no religion.

- Infidels Org summary of South Carolina church/state situation: Atheists were finally allowed to hold elected office after a court decision in 1997.

I do think there is a common, underlying ideology, though, between both the book burnings and the church/state issues.

thanx much,
Tiassa :cool:

Re: Indeed

Originally posted by tiassa
Just for the heck of it:
South Carolina gubernatorial candidate Reb Sutherland, undated letter: [/B]
Instead, I am a God-fearing woman and say to the Christian men, "You have failed to uphold your Covenant promises to protect your own Family (Genesis 3:16, Ephesians 5:23). You have been negligent of your duty to God and Country. Therefore, God has moved upon the women to rise up in battle to defend their young. I am one of them."

Only one comment. WOA! :eek:

Back