Are the fundies gaining ground?

Originally posted by Empty Dragon
I am not debating whethere you know or not. What struck me is that bad fruit cannot come from a good tree. It seems to me that it can. Good fruit cannot grow on a bad tree. To me it seems that it can. What tree it is spawned from is usually where it ends up but not the rule.

Greetings Empty Dragon ~

My message is and will remain the same; Christians need to be more discerning in what they accept as being Biblically aligned theologies and practices. Futhermore, when Christians view what is "out-of-line," they need to speak against it. Jesus did, and through His Church He has and will continue to do so. This is what's right for the Christian to do and there can be no compromise, for we're not acting on our own accord nor for our own glory.

For a better understanding as to where I'm coming from, read 1 Timothy 4.

In His Name ~

Disciple of Jesus

---Are we not all brother an sisters. Remember the prodigal son.:D

*once he came back he became a brother :D (we're talking about a different type of sibling here)

----If you have a thinking mind it is not hard do see. Though many "False believers" claim to be the "True believers". It is all subject to individuality. Unity will not come with out acceptance of the individual. The Idea of true and false believers will only hinder yourselves on your respective paths. Unity comes through acceptance of differences not a Faith Revival. All are not build the same all will not believe in the same way. How do you know the heart of the faithfull. One may appear to have faith but have none at the core of his being but one who appears to have little faith may in the end be the most faithful.

*the unity i speak of is more that all the churches stop fighting between them and work together to reach the non-believers......how can we send a good message unless we are trying to practice what we preach?

---- I am sorry I do not understand why you would want exclusive unity. Accept the goats live with the goats love the goats that is the way to unity. How can you have true faith or have your faith tested for that matter if you remove all that would challenge it. How would you learn those valuable lessons of faith? Even if one doesn not believe in the same manner as you, you may learn an invaluable lesson from them. It is all what you are receptive to.

*do you know what we mean by 'the goats'?

--- Do you really have to have effort to follow the "way of Christ". TO my perception I though it was the manifestation of all that which is good inside you. That good is an inherent part of you so why would you need to create strife and seperate you from that goodness. To attain it is to be yourself accept who you are. Only the can you have genuine love affection, or even faith. If you are beside yourself in your faith it will not be true faith. How can you have true faith unless you are at one wiht yourself and existance? Even if you believe yourself that you are right. Do not act in egotisme by labeling people and calling them not believers. Act with humility even if you believe yourself to be right. You close your mind and heart and act out of selfish arrogance.

*it is effort because of all the bad stuff that is going on in our world........and I am my truest self with my God.......so what do you suggest we call them?? its not being egotistical to say someone is an unbeliever, it is simply describing them.....I do not mean it in an holier-than-thou way!

---Let he who is with out sin cast the first stone.;)

I'm not stoning anyone! I'm saying we need to work harder at being united and doing Gods work on earth!

I understand and realize the need to speak out for what you believe to be right. Though what I am commenting on is segregation. Be sure that while you act you do not become elitist.

Futhermore, when Christians view what is "out-of-line," they need to speak against it
Speaking out openly is much different then condeming and judging. Though it can be a fine line. Even if you believe yourself to be right act humbily because there may be yet more that you do not understand. With out humility egotism tends to run rampant. Egotism can corrupt an other wise benevolent nature.

This is what's right for the Christian to do and there can be no compromise, for we're not acting on our own accord nor for our own glory.
Unless you are the son of God how can you say for certain what is best for a Christian to do? Thus anything you assert is likely to be flawed since you are human. Good intentions pave the road to hell. There are many instances where men in thier foolishness commited deplorable acts in his name. I just recommend being humble so as to avoid that same path.

Becarefull what you claim is in his name.

once he came back he became a brother
Then you missed the point. He was a brother all along that never changed. The point was the unconditional love. That is the lesson. Love thy neighboor, have unconditional love for all things.

the unity i speak of is more that all the churches stop fighting between them and work together to reach the non-believers......how can we send a good message unless we are trying to practice what we preach?
Agreed but it would be wise to practice all with gentle patience. Especially to those who think differently then you.

do you know what we mean by 'the goats'?
To my understanding it ment those who are not sheep?

it is effort because of all the bad stuff that is going on in our world........and I am my truest self with my God.......
What is happening in the outside world is regardless of the point. You have a connection with God so why would you allow anything to disturb your serenity? To fill yourself with strife is to seperate yourself from god. That connection and state of being does come without effort because it is truth right? Do you need effort for the truth to be true? It takes effort to sin. It takes no effort to accept forgiveness. To my understanding the essence of the human spirit is kind, loving, gentle, forgiveness, harmony and clarity. Strife will separte you from that nature. The first step is to stop eating the apple.

so what do you suggest we call them?? its not being egotistical to say someone is an unbeliever, it is simply describing them.....I do not mean it in an holier-than-thou way!
I suggest you simply accept them as they are. The road to salvation is open to all so if they make that choice it is their choice. Whether they believe or not really does not concern you. I am sure it will pain you to see them make that choice but it is there choice. Do not despise them for turing away love them as they leave and pray that they may find there path in life.

I'm not stoning anyone! I'm saying we need to work harder at being united and doing Gods work on earth!
Be concered with changing yourself first. Speak with an open heart but do not try to change other unless you can be with out sin.

Last edited:
Originally posted by Disciple of Jesus
Greetings Empty Dragon ~

My message is and will remain the same; Christians need to be more discerning in what they accept as being Biblically aligned theologies and practices. Futhermore, when Christians view what is "out-of-line," they need to speak against it. Jesus did, and through His Church He has and will continue to do so. This is what's right for the Christian to do and there can be no compromise, for we're not acting on our own accord nor for our own glory.

For a better understanding as to where I'm coming from, read 1 Timothy 4.

In His Name ~

Disciple of Jesus

I Timothy 4:6 If you point these things out to the brothers, you will be a good minister of Christ Jesus, brought up in the truths of the faith and of the good teaching that you have followed.

I interpret 'the brothers' in this instance to mean fellow Christians. Everything through 1 Timothy 5 indicates that the writer is addressing believers. If that is all you mean then more power to you. But if you are talking about speaking out against non-believers, then please point me to the biblical justification for this action. To my knowledge, the only people that Jesus spoke out against directly were fellow Jews who were hypocrites. Please instruct me if I am wrong.

New Life

You're talking about mormons and jews there, neither of which are christians.......
Presumptuous of you. No, I'm not.

And, incidentally, Mormons are Christians. Just not your preferred type of Christian, but there's nothing like a good round of exclusionism to start off the post.
I dont know any true christians who have anything against any food based on religion.
Do you know any true Christians, period?

Sorry, but I love that adjective: "true".

I mean, I can point out some freakish diets of Seventh-Day Adventists and so forth, and one can argue that it's more an advisement than it is a holy law, but the simple fact is that the people don't necessarily take it that way.

Would you please define a true Christian, and give me some idea of how many there are? Because I've got this image in my head of an old Greek man with a lantern.
I'd rather not listen to him, he's sick by any standard!
Isn't that beside the point?
I've heard old (ie 70+) people complaining about lots of books too, some are just plain offensive! also, pleanty of times I've heard christians asking why there arent christians books available (ie christian fiction), but thats just b/c its difficult to find that type of book anywhere because of all the non-christians complaining about too many religious books! It goes both ways
Where to start?

•_You know, if you know me well enough, you'll hear me complaining about various books. It's part of a human being's birthright to have an opinion. But I won't ever say that something shouldn't be printed. I'll even go so far as to admit that the public is best off without some information, but I won't stop people from printing it or reading it. And if something ever horrifies me so greatly as to demand its expungement from the human experience, I would hope to have better reasons than my own opinion of it.

• You know, I've never witnessed a book burning put on by atheists, Jews, Hindus, Muslims, pagans, &c. I probably missed a couple of torchings of The Satanic Verses, but Rushdie survives a death sentence and I'm happy enough about that. But to my common experience, only Nazis, Stalinists, and Christians burn books regularly.

• I despise the American economic priorities. However, this time they clearly explain part of what you're complaining about. If "Christian" books sold better than they do in general bookstores, the bookstores would order more of them. Consider Bob Larson's Dead Air, Frank Peretti's mysteries, and those insane books about the coming apocalypse whose author and titles I thankfully cannot remember? Of those last, I see them at every bookstore I go to except for the mystics. I see them at Costco, Fred Meyer, Wal-Mart ... just about everywhere I go. Add to that the general Christian media presence: Satanists do not get their own section at Dalton's or Waldenbooks. You can certainly make an argument that these books shouldn't be sequestered as they are, but if they're not, they don't sell at all. If the books sold better, they would integrate, just as those that do have in the past and will continue to in the future. As it is, the segregation of certain Christian volumes is a smart business move because customers for those books like having them gathered together, and don't seem to want to have to pick through shelves lined with the latest Martin Greenburg anthology of erotic horror fiction. In addition, I might point out that my child's maternal grandfather sent us a satellite dish designed to receive only Three Angels Broadcasting Network, one of at least three nationwide and international US-based Christian television networks. Televangelism is a multibillion-dollar industry in this country. Has it occurred to anyone why it is ironic that The Simpsons has been pointed out to be one of the most "Christianized" television shows on the air? Eyes shut, hands clamped over their ears, shouting ceaselessly, it's no wonder why some Christians feel so isolated.
That is against certain artists, NOT music in general..........music is meant as a gift to the world (according to many christian beliefs) in fact, the book of Psalms is a song book (all of it is songs), music is one of the many ways to worship God so christians cannot be against it and be following biblical principles at the same time! However as I stated before, some artists (like Marilyn Mansin) are just plan sick and people with any moral values should be appalled! (I felt this way LONG before I was a christian)
Those "certain artists" (A) have every right to be as they are, and (B) have those rights for the same reason you are allowed to find them sick and depraved.

Think about this: Nobody's saying you can't be appalled. But what people are saying is that you can't censor them. These Christians who have so stained the reputation of their faith essentially demand that their right to free speech is only secured when others are disallowed the same right.

Often, the objectors to a Twisted Sister or 2 Live Crew or a Marilyn Manson end up making a bigger deal out of what they find objectionable than anyone else. The PMRC's targeting of 2 Live Crew, coupled with the arrests of Luke "Skywalker" on multiple occasions in Florida, pushed 2 Live's record sales through the roof. A "Parental Warning" sticker became a badge of pride. Marilyn Manson rode the controversy from NIN sideshow to Antichrist Superstar. Twisted Sister? Come on--a bunch of New York guys originally in drag, and then in ribbons, football pads, and leather pants? Even Dee Snider laughs about his costume.

And consider how seriously Christians take things. Both Styx and Peter Gabriel were condemned in California for having Satanic material on their albums. At question for Styx was the song "Snowblind", a reflection on cocaine addiction that does not paint the drug in a glamorous light. And Peter Gabriel? "Shock the Monkey" did just that, and suddenly the man who recorded "Solsbury Hill" and "Here Comes the Flood" stood accused of Satanism. Or the band Savatage, whose dungeons-and-dragons approach to rock and roll gained them criticism for Satanic imagery. In 1991 they released "Streets", hands-down the most Christian rock and roll album I've ever heard, and an artistic triumph. Sure, Michael W. Smith sold better, and I wouldn't be surprised if DC Talk had a better year, but nobody noticed because it was an artistic triumph in a dead vein of rock and roll. It had nothing to do with its faith and politics; I used to find the album heavily anti-Christian. Its commercial failure came from the fact that everyone was already sick of that brand of rock and roll. But a band who was known to have included the lyric, "We should have listened to what Christ had to say" has taken flak for being Satanic. Or Bob Larson, who must edit the lyrics he reprints in order to have examples to crow about. Who never understood that the kids read the liner notes on albums and, often, have already dismissed the very disputes he seeks to manufacture.

This isn't just about "certain artists". It strikes at the heart of Free Speech. Music cannot be accepted or rejected based solely on Christian and post-Christian values. Speech cannot be curbed merely to meet a faith standard. It is about music in general because the would-be censors speak nothing about the repugnant imagery of a handful of Christian hymns ("Onward Christian Soldiers", "Glory Glory Hallelujah!", &c.) It is, in fact, about determining what qualifies as "music", and thus affects the whole of musical expression. Ever watched someone dance the Charleston? It's technically not a dance. Specifically: some slave owners in the American south forbade dancing among their slaves; it was too pagan and beastly and sexual. But the slaves were smarter than people at the time thought. They invented the Charleston because the religious folk had specific rules about what constituted dancing, and the Charleston breaks none of them. In the modern day, I tip my hat to an associate of mine who reminds that, "Quakers don't dance; they rhythm."

I always look at the rest of Christendom and then I look at the Quakers and wonder what is wrong. The Quakers seem, for the most part, comfortable with themselves. I can't get why others are so insecure as to attempt to bend society into conformity. I must admit that when my political needs encountered the Society of Friends, we were always on the same side of the fight. But seriously: Quakers don't dance. And their answer to that is a lot simpler than the Charleston. That's actually what I mean when I say people take things too seriously. On the one hand is a complex set of rules with enough loopholes to invent the Charleston; this is a sign of overthinking prohibition. To the other is a general prohibition and a very easy way around it. Don't think a Quaker lost in the rhythm doesn't thank the slaves for their contribution. But they generally know their faith is their own and are willing to trust God to deal with the rest; I have great respect for what I see in their behavior.

Of course the drawback here is that Quakers flip basic theology on its ear. George Fox was a dandy, tellyawhat. For myself, its a convenient relationship of respect and trust. Quakers trust God, and I trust them to do so. It's what they choose, but they're not so obsessed with the possibility that they've chosen wrongly that they have to visit their miseries on other people. Unfortunately, they're a fairly unique minority in the Christian world.
Maybe you havent tried enough artists, there are many christian bands and albums available.........POD is a great example........also try Five Iron Frenzy, Relient K, Lost Coin, etc
I admit I haven't listened closely to the latest flock. But if POD is a great example, then I have to say the market is about what it was when I was 18: the Christian imitations of style generally failed to live up to their genres. King's X, for instance, is one of the greatest bands I've ever had the displeasure of listening to. But I'll tell you, when they hit the nation with their post-Soundgarden slop single in the early 90s, all the Christian hipsters I knew threw away their Petra albums and proclaimed new champions of rock and roll. You know, if they were on the ticket at a show I was going to anyway, I wouldn't walk out on them. But they weren't that great. In fact, they lacked compared to the genre they imitated. But in that case, King's X has good company: Rush's grunge-era project sucked almost as much.
thats a whole different issue
Why?[/quote]can you reference that? I hadnt heard that.....at any rate, divorce is not acceptable according to more fundamental christians as well as catholics so are those so called 'christian marriages' actually christian? the census was recently completed here (canada) and it revealed that many people call themselves christians but do not practice religion, therefore they arent actually christian, so all studies should keep that in mind.[/quote]Going back to the same place I got it before, I find the 2001 numbers, more recent than those I remember, show a slightly better trend, and so these I submit with whatever implications:

Barna Research, August 6, 2001 release
•_Barna Research "Family" page
at any rate, divorce is not acceptable according to more fundamental christians as well as catholics so are those so called 'christian marriages' actually christian?
Here, you'll love this: "When Christ was Gay: What many Christians seem to forget":
The Religious Right is nearly half-full with people living in continuous adulterous lifestyles, and those who are not remarried fully accept their remarried brothers and sisters without question. They even perform their adulterous marriage ceremonies in their churches. Yet they have the gall to preach from their pulpits or shout through the airwaves that God wants us to stop the world from accepting homosexuals the same way they have been accepted by God.

Jesus warned us not to be like the servant who was forgiven his debt by the grace of his lord but then used the legal system to throw a fellow slave in jail. The Religious Right, however, claim God's grace for their own lifestyle sins but then turn around and give tremendous amounts of time and money to use the legal system against homosexuals.

It is a double standard. It is a mockery. If Christ took their sins to the cross and became an adulterer through propitiation before burying that sin in the ground, then Christ also took the gay person's sin to the cross and became a homosexual before burying that sin in the ground. The Religious Right, and everyone else, should either accept that God's grace covers all of us, including those living in sinful lifestyles, or that none of us are covered. They should either condemn their remarried members or shut up about those among us who are gay.
[/font=times]Just a convenient coincidence. I keep that URL tucked away for just such occasions. I love that article. It's funny enough on the one hand, and to the other it seems to be correct.
the census was recently completed here (canada) and it revealed that many people call themselves christians but do not practice religion, therefore they arent actually christian, so all studies should keep that in mind.
This is a curious problem that is left only to the Christians to resolve. We, the infidels, cannot be of much help here. After the regular reminders of how evil and stupid we are, after being decried as being responsible for bringing God's wrath onto the US on 9/11 ... you know, we're just kind of sick of it. Christians, if their faith and identity through faith is that important to them, must work to re-establish Christianity as something other than the nagging voice in the corner.
I WAS taught the theory of evolution as fact!!! so why cant the creation theory be taught as fact as well? in my opinion both should be presented, holes and flaws and all but neither as absolute fact
Well, for starters because Creationism isn't fact. You can paint any case for Creationism you want, but without a definitive demonstration of the existence of the architect or executor of the Universe--e.g. the Creator--Creationism remains scientifically untestable. From the facts we have available to us, what is called Evolution Theory is the most viable explanation. Our knowledge of it increases daily, and we have a large sample of positive trends suggesting that we are clearly on the right track. Based on the facts, evolution is fact. One of the things you have to realize about a scientific theory is that once postulated, it never stops getting samples for consideration. Evolution Theory is not some wild idea constructed from nothing. It is a framework based on observable data, and the term describes its aspiration to contain the whole of that puzzle. What Evolution Theory is today is not necessarily what it will be tomorrow. But if scientists were on the wrong track, the evidence would have shown them by now.

Creationism is an assertion that has no real meaning. By some poetic licenses, it can be reasonably said that yes, God did create the Universe. But Christians generally don't like to liberalize their Bibles to that degree; it takes the sting out of other asserted realities.

Furthermore, Creationism seeks a dualistic arena. The possibilities are myriad. Even if there is some quirk of natural law we haven't found that will shatter the Evolution Theory to merely a good idea that failed, this is not indication of Creationism. I always wonder what will happen to a Christian when they find God and realize it's nothing like they were taught to expect.
as I stated in another thread somewhere, Religion explains they 'why' of the universe, Science explains 'how'....science is great, it allows us to understand how this came about or how that works, but religion tells us why it came about or why it exists, otherwise there's no reason for anything
That's a mighty big presumption. Religion asserts "why". It does not explain "why".
Thats a new one to me! in one of the old testament books there are references to large monstrous creatures that could be described as dinosours along with the humans so why should they say that its not possible for a dinosour and human to have walked near each other?
Well, there were big, scary creatures running around the Earth in the days of the human ancestry. They're currently digging mammoth remains off the California coast, documenting the timeline of its extinction and realizing that people did the damage. But the big scary creatures weren't giant lizards with walnut-sized brains. I was very happy a couple of years ago when I saw videotape of a narwhal; I thought the poor buggers were extinct. If there's anything in the sea that looks demonic to me, it's jellyfish; I've never seen a live giant jellyfish eye to eye--we get the smaller varieties around here. But the IMAX version certainly makes them scary.
that argument doesnt make sense! it sounds like it came from someone who has no idea what they're talking about
I know, I know. But that's the point: this is how Christianity is being portrayed by people who claim the faith and seek to champion its cause. These are the kind of faithful I refer to when I write things like: Plenty of literate people get tired of being called sinful degenerates because they read a given book--ever listen to a Christian protesting a book in a public library?
once again you have to first determine if they are truly christians (and first you have to define christian)
Here is where I agree with you. But I tend to be foolish and take people at their word. Somebody, somewhere, has to trust people generally, or else nobody will. But again I have this strange image of an old Greek man with a lantern.
Salvation hasnt turned people into prigs, people have turned people into prigs! (assuming that prig is the same as prick).....what bothers me is when people who say they are christians do/say all sorts of things that go against the bible which is SUPPOSED to be their guide to life/God and then justify it by using the bible!
While it's true that people have become more priggish over time, we cannot pretend that the paradigms exist independent of the people. In consideration of, say, Max Weber pointing out intrinsic connections between Protestantism and Capitalism, can you tell me how different Christian faith would be without American Christianity? While certain aspects of Protestant asceticism contributed greatly to the development of modern Capitalism, so has Capitalism contributed greatly to the consequent development of people within its scope. Even Americans are not true Capitalists, but when money became more important than life, many Christians went right along on the bandwagon. In a sense, if we mark "WASP" values in the US, many Christians led the charge.

In the end, it is left to Christians to clean up their own house. It is up to the faithful to set right their brethren, to bring them spiritual fulfillment instead of empty declarations. We, the infidels, can certainly recruit the best and brightest among them for intellectual liberty, but some insist on maintaining spiritual fetters. I cannot express the importance of the "image" of Christianity being put forth by the squeakiest wheel. Furthermore, it is inappropriate and distasteful to "grease" them according to the standards of Christian history, but that's the point--the world is moving forward while this ample and vocal bloc literally tries to haul the whole lot down into a heap. As the rest of the world moves toward peace and reconciliation, this substantial bloc of Christian insanity pulls harder toward the divisive abyss.

Thus I hold that the fundamentalist movement is indeed losing ground. They might be getting larger, they are definitely getting louder. But they are also increasingly irrelevant to the situations at hand. However, George W. Bush makes sure to keep them relevant, just in case the country somehow isn't tired of being browbeaten.

There are some Christian organizations that try to understand, but they are few and far between, and involved in fringe issues like harm reduction and alternative political theory. They are, however, outweighed by the self-righteous and blathering.

I understand what you say about the idea of "true Christians", but here is my lantern, here is my search.
sorry bout the length!
Length? Don't worry about it. Seriously, ask around. Don't worry yourself about the length. ;)

thanx,
Tiassa :cool:

Originally posted by tiassa
Presumptuous of you. No, I'm not.

---And, incidentally, Mormons are Christians. Just not your preferred type of Christian, but there's nothing like a good round of exclusionism to start off the post.Do you know any true Christians, period?

*mormons have their own holy book that was created by a man, that makes them a different religion

---Sorry, but I love that adjective: "true".

Would you please define a true Christian, and give me some idea of how many there are? Because I've got this image in my head of an old Greek man with a lantern. Isn't that beside the point?Where to start?

*a true christian is one who has accepted Christ into his/her life, who tries his/her very best to listen to and do what God is telling them to do and who looks always to the scriptures for guidence and as true

•_You know, if you know me well enough, you'll hear me complaining about various books. It's part of a human being's birthright to have an opinion. But I won't ever say that something shouldn't be printed. I'll even go so far as to admit that the public is best off without some information, but I won't stop people from printing it or reading it. And if something ever horrifies me so greatly as to demand its expungement from the human experience, I would hope to have better reasons than my own opinion of it.

*i am the same almost......I dont think porn should be available but other than that I would never complain about a book being printed

• You know, I've never witnessed a book burning put on by atheists, Jews, Hindus, Muslims, pagans, &c. I probably missed a couple of torchings of The Satanic Verses, but Rushdie survives a death sentence and I'm happy enough about that. But to my common experience, only Nazis, Stalinists, and Christians burn books regularly.

*never seen/heard of a book burning, sorry

• I despise the American economic priorities. However, this time they clearly explain part of what you're complaining about. If "Christian" books sold better than they do in general bookstores, the bookstores would order more of them. Consider Bob Larson's Dead Air, Frank Peretti's mysteries, and those insane books about the coming apocalypse whose author and titles I thankfully cannot remember? Of those last, I see them at every bookstore I go to except for the mystics. I see them at Costco, Fred Meyer, Wal-Mart ... just about everywhere I go. Add to that the general Christian media presence: Satanists do not get their own section at Dalton's or Waldenbooks. You can certainly make an argument that these books shouldn't be sequestered as they are, but if they're not, they don't sell at all. If the books sold better, they would integrate, just as those that do have in the past and will continue to in the future. As it is, the segregation of certain Christian volumes is a smart business move because customers for those books like having them gathered together, and don't seem to want to have to pick through shelves lined with the latest Martin Greenburg anthology of erotic horror fiction. In addition, I might point out that my child's maternal grandfather sent us a satellite dish designed to receive only Three Angels Broadcasting Network, one of at least three nationwide and international US-based Christian television networks. Televangelism is a multibillion-dollar industry in this country. Has it occurred to anyone why it is ironic that The Simpsons has been pointed out to be one of the most "Christianized" television shows on the air? Eyes shut, hands clamped over their ears, shouting ceaselessly, it's no wonder why some Christians feel so isolated.Those "certain artists" (A) have every right to be as they are, and (B) have those rights for the same reason you are allowed to find them sick and depraved.

*i'm glad the christians here are not like the ones you've evidently met!! we use the media in many youth groups to show messages (everything from Veggie Tales to the Matrix), most watch/read/listen to things from 'secular' areas/artists, and mostly listen to see what the message is in it........we do not try to close ourselves off fromt the rest of the world b/c Jesus says that we're supposed to go out INTO the world and make disciples

---Think about this: Nobody's saying you can't be appalled. But what people are saying is that you can't censor them. These Christians who have so stained the reputation of their faith essentially demand that their right to free speech is only secured when others are disallowed the same right.

*that is sad and i agree that you cannot censor people as much as you might like to

---This isn't just about "certain artists". It strikes at the heart of Free Speech. Music cannot be accepted or rejected based solely on Christian and post-Christian values. Speech cannot be curbed merely to meet a faith standard. It is about music in general because the would-be censors speak nothing about the repugnant imagery of a handful of Christian hymns ("Onward Christian Soldiers", "Glory Glory Hallelujah!", &c.) It is, in fact, about determining what qualifies as "music", and thus affects the whole of musical expression.

*I agree, its up to each individual to decide what they will or will not listen to, but no one can force people to listen to anyone elses choice

---I always look at the rest of Christendom and then I look at the Quakers and wonder what is wrong. The Quakers seem, for the most part, comfortable with themselves. I can't get why others are so insecure as to attempt to bend society into conformity.

*Our church here is quite secure in itself..........however we do try to get our message out there, not because we're insecure about it, but because we believe that if we dont then people are gonna end up in Hell cause no one would tell them about Christ.....we do know that not everyone is going to believe us or accept Christ but we still try

---But seriously: Quakers don't dance. And their answer to that is a lot simpler than the Charleston. That's actually what I mean when I say people take things too seriously. On the one hand is a complex set of rules with enough loopholes to invent the Charleston; this is a sign of overthinking prohibition. To the other is a general prohibition and a very easy way around it. Don't think a Quaker lost in the rhythm doesn't thank the slaves for their contribution. But they generally know their faith is their own and are willing to trust God to deal with the rest; I have great respect for what I see in their behavior.

*that is what I dream of for christians as a whole

I admit I haven't listened closely to the latest flock. But if POD is a great example, then I have to say the market is about what it was when I was 18: the Christian imitations of style generally failed to live up to their genres.

*what I meant by POD being a great example was only that they are a christian band in main-stream music (I personally dislike that music but thats not important)

----Going back to the same place I got it before, I find the 2001 numbers, more recent than those I remember, show a slightly better trend, and so these I submit with whatever implications:

Barna Research, August 6, 2001 release
•_Barna Research "Family" page

*thank you, those were indeed interesting......one question that came to mind as I read those were when did they get divorced or live in common law?? was it before or after they became christians..........I dunno

Here, you'll love this: "When Christ was Gay: What many Christians seem to forget":[/font=times]

*I must admit the title didnt make any sense till almost the end but I think I get the point of the article.......and I agree with it (MOSTLY).....we cannot condem one lifestyle and not the other......I'm still trying to figure out where I stand on homosexuality exacly so thus far I just dont talk about it except to ask questions......however, I know exactly how I feel about divorce, its not something that God approves of and the only way a divorce is allowable is if there is abuse involved..........and remarriage is only acceptable if the first partner died. Thats my opinion anyway

---After the regular reminders of how evil and stupid we are, after being decried as being responsible for bringing God's wrath onto the US on 9/11 ... you know, we're just kind of sick of it.

*at youth group last weekend we talked about how to approach christians and non christians about sin and we came to the conclusion that Jesus told christians flat out 'what you're doing is wrong, stop it' and non-christians were approached in more of a 'hey, is that really in your best interest?' way......the basic idea was that we cannot hold non-christians to standards that they havent signed up for......i'm sorry that you are being held to our standards

Well, for starters because Creationism isn't fact. You can paint any case for Creationism you want, but without a definitive demonstration of the existence of the architect or executor of the Universe--e.g. the Creator--Creationism remains scientifically untestable. From the facts we have available to us, what is called Evolution Theory is the most viable explanation. Our knowledge of it increases daily, and we have a large sample of positive trends suggesting that we are clearly on the right track. Based on the facts, evolution is fact. One of the things you have to realize about a scientific theory is that once postulated, it never stops getting samples for consideration. Evolution Theory is not some wild idea constructed from nothing. It is a framework based on observable data, and the term describes its aspiration to contain the whole of that puzzle. What Evolution Theory is today is not necessarily what it will be tomorrow. But if scientists were on the wrong track, the evidence would have shown them by now.

*I didnt say creationism was fact and I dont believe that evolution is either (I've seen enough loopholes in it to make me doubt it could ever be proven true), my point was that if evolution is taught as fact then the other major theories should be too........I would like to see it where non were taught as fact

---I always wonder what will happen to a Christian when they find God and realize it's nothing like they were taught to expect.That's a mighty big presumption.

*I wonder that too.......I know that when I meet God He will not be exactly what I thought He was b/c as an imperfect human I cannot full grasp a perfect being

--- If there's anything in the sea that looks demonic to me, it's jellyfish; I've never seen a live giant jellyfish eye to eye--we get the smaller varieties around here. But the IMAX version certainly makes them scary.I know, I know.

*they are indeed scary creatures! lol

---But that's the point: this is how Christianity is being portrayed by people who claim the faith and seek to champion its cause. These are the kind of faithful I refer to when I write things like: Plenty of literate people get tired of being called sinful degenerates because they read a given book--ever listen to a Christian protesting a book in a public library?Here is where I agree with you. But I tend to be foolish and take people at their word. Somebody, somewhere, has to trust people generally, or else nobody will. But again I have this strange image of an old Greek man with a lantern.

*thats something that the churches in our city are trying to change, hopefully this will spread and we will be able to give a better impression of christians!

---There are some Christian organizations that try to understand, but they are few and far between, and involved in fringe issues like harm reduction and alternative political theory. They are, however, outweighed by the self-righteous and blathering.

*that is a problem and something the church needs to (and is in some areas) trying to address

---I understand what you say about the idea of "true Christians", but here is my lantern, here is my search.

i'm sorry that I cannot give a better definition of a true christian right now, purhaps others can help me out (DoJ, truthseeker, snow, etc)

----Length? Don't worry about it. Seriously, ask around. Don't worry yourself about the length. ;)

*lol ok then!

Thanx for your respectfulness!

New Life

mormons have their own holy book that was created by a man, that makes them a different religion
I might inquire, then, your opinion of Protestants?
a true christian is one who has accepted Christ into his/her life, who tries his/her very best to listen to and do what God is telling them to do and who looks always to the scriptures for guidence and as true
Honestly, I won't argue with that definition. However, it presents a diversity problem. It's a very liberal definition that can be applied by a diverse range of people both good and not so good to their interpretations of faith. While I hate the idea of clubbing you with the Inquisitions, please understand that those torturers and judges and executioners could very well plead their case for proper faith by your definition.
never seen/heard of a book burning, sorry
- "Purging Flame" (ABC News)
- Church plans Harry Potter book burning (Ananova)

These are a couple from the last few years. I did see something in Google about a book-burning in a Muslim backwater, but that seemed beside the point.
*i'm glad the christians here are not like the ones you've evidently met!! we use the media in many youth groups to show messages (everything from Veggie Tales to the Matrix), most watch/read/listen to things from 'secular' areas/artists, and mostly listen to see what the message is in it........we do not try to close ourselves off fromt the rest of the world b/c Jesus says that we're supposed to go out INTO the world and make disciples
Well, good for them. Really. But I'm puzzled at what that has to do with anything. Do you refer to a group of people who consider themselves fundamentalists? Presuming yes, for sake of relevance to the topic, oh ... heck. No comment. I'll get to it when we get around to it later:
*that is sad and i agree that you cannot censor people as much as you might like to

*I agree, its up to each individual to decide what they will or will not listen to, but no one can force people to listen to anyone elses choice
Cool--I'm right there with you. But the point of our departure, it seems concerns the vast number of your fellow Christians who don't look at it that way. Believe me, I'm thrilled at your perspective. But, as with above ... never mind, not now, I see we get a chance to deal with that shortly.
*Our church here is quite secure in itself....
This presents an opportunity to offer an unsolicited bit of strategy advice: So long as there exists such a voice of fundamentalist pettiness about American Christianity at least, it will be difficult for more legitimate and reconciled forms of Christianity to minister to the people. Please understand, when we the infidels combine our hopes to stop the press of fundamentalist Christian politics, we are characterized as bigots against Christians. In short, we cannot fix what is wrong with the presentation of Christianity. Do not leave your brothers and sisters in Christ astray on the roads they travel. Whatsoever you do not do for the least of His brethren--did you leave the sheep astray? And, as it works out, such a course will open more roads to evangelize to the infidels with integrity and influence.
*that is what I dream of for christians as a whole
Christians would find themselves less tangled in social discord if they could pull that one off.
*what I meant by POD being a great example was only that they are a christian band in main-stream music (I personally dislike that music but thats not important)
Fair enough. What I'm after is that no matter how popular they are, nothing can make them a good band.
*I must admit the title didnt make any sense till almost the end but I think I get the point of the article...
Well, thank you for pushing through. The title usually snags most people.
the basic idea was that we cannot hold non-christians to standards that they havent signed up for......i'm sorry that you are being held to our standards
Eh, I'm a human being. The hard part is that it reduces the potential of an idea like Christianity to be effectively good. Sure I think the theology's off, but that shouldn't matter. Where it matters is where social cooperation collapses and common cause gets put aside for the prestige of divisions. I, and many others, shall endure, for there are greater hardships to suffer than some annoying people taxing the electoral and judicial systems. But my broader point throughout this topic is more related to my assertion that fundamentalist influence is declining and offering some reasons why. The first thing is to make clear that these processes occur, that these events happen. The next thing to do is to figure out what they mean. And then we might have some reasonable idea of what to do about them.

For instance, we can agree that many people bearing the marque of Christianity behave in manners detrimental to their community, their family, in other words countervalent to their faith. We can also, I think, agree that Christians are humans too, and thus bound to spend a certain amount of time countervailing their own faith. Where people run up against problems where fundamentalist Christianity is involved is that the countervailing seems cyclical and it sometimes seems as if history is good enough for nobody, and everyone must figure out what's wrong with this or that behavior for their own selves. Now, I won't deny a body its proper right of self-determination, but it ain't faith ....
*I didnt say creationism was fact and I dont believe that evolution is either (I've seen enough loopholes in it to make me doubt it could ever be proven true), my point was that if evolution is taught as fact then the other major theories should be too........I would like to see it where non were taught as fact
I would love it if anybody could recite to me the standing version of the theory of evolution. People tend to regard it as static like a creationist assertion. But evolution is a dynamic theory, constantly growing and refining Science is an ongoing process: what the evidence most strongly suggests becomes the working theory. And there are enough facts in place around what we consider the theory of evolution as to secure its general place; what the detail resolves to be will be what the detail resolves to be. But if the evolution was not a viable scientific device, the evidence would clearly have shown it by now. One can only go so far at present when saying, "This is how it is," but it's not like you're discovering a condition whereby 2+2 does not equal 4.
*I wonder that too.......I know that when I meet God He will not be exactly what I thought He was b/c as an imperfect human I cannot full grasp a perfect being
I was thinking more along the lines of what happens if God is a mathematical equation?
*thats something that the churches in our city are trying to change, hopefully this will spread and we will be able to give a better impression of christians!
I hate to be picky, but can you give us more "true" Christians? Or not, as some would prefer. But I would like to see how they function in the real world; "true" Christians are mere postulations insofar as I can tell.

I thank you, as well, for your own kindness. Please understand, though, that in terms of the topic, you don't sound too fundie. If the fundamentalist echelon operated more according to your faith expressions, they probably wouldn't concern people enough to have a discussion like we're having. We can never stamp out the undereducated, volatile interpretations of faith, but over time we might be able to make them so irrelevant to the situation that progress becomes that much more possible for the rest of humanity.

thanx,
Tiassa :cool:

Originally posted by Turduckin
I Timothy 4:6 If you point these things out to the brothers, you will be a good minister of Christ Jesus, brought up in the truths of the faith and of the good teaching that you have followed.

I interpret 'the brothers' in this instance to mean fellow Christians. Everything through 1 Timothy 5 indicates that the writer is addressing believers. If that is all you mean then more power to you. But if you are talking about speaking out against non-believers, then please point me to the biblical justification for this action. To my knowledge, the only people that Jesus spoke out against directly were fellow Jews who were hypocrites. Please instruct me if I am wrong.

Hello Turduckin ~

Yes, you're right on here. The Apostle Paul had written these words to Timothy as an exhortation to continue his work in discipling the believers of Ephesus. And yes, I did write the post you're referring to as a reminder to fellow Christians that we're to be aware of what's going on around us in regard to those whom have "left the faith" and "who follow the teachings of hypocritical liars," yet all the while claim to be Christians.

If there is a message that I wish to share with any non-believers; it's that true-Christians will indeed do what's asked in 1 Timothy 4:6 (as you had quoted above) in order to hold accountable to the Bible anyone claiming or professing to be Christian. Knowing this, and as you've seen what is asked of me (or any Christian) in 1 Timothy 4:6, I can't really be too concerned if I happen to 'offend' someone along the way in doing so. Also, know that it would never be my intention to purposely be offensive, but at times when someone hears something they dont want to hear, it happens. I'll tell you that I personally welcome any true-Christian to discipline me (using applicable Scripture to do so) when I at times step-out of line with what's Biblically mandated, and believe me it has happened. I'll tell you, it can be a humbling experience and it wouldn't be too hard to let myself feel offended, but at the same time I know it's done out of love and concern for me by a "true" brother or sister in Christ.

Unfortunately, many non-believers don't see any virtue in this and would rather label the mandate of 1 Timothy 4:6 as being egotistical or self-righteous behavior. They continue to point out the perceived problems within Christianity, yet condemn those Christians who inact on Biblical Scripture that has been given us to police the professing Christian's actions. This begs to question and I often wonder as to whether or not non-believers in this world truly do want to see Christians behave as Christians should.

Lastly, as for speaking out against non-believers, I can say that it is the responsibility of any true Christian to 'show' someone (usually being a friend, relative or associate of some type) how they might be involved in sinfully destructuve behavior. Now, when I say "show someone" I dont mean in a condemning or judging manner. I do mean to approach this person in a spirit of care and compassion for their well-being. I have done just this (often) and have experienced any and all imaginable responses. The one constant has been that this person ALWAYS knew that my intentions were good and NEVER held against me my attempts to help them recognize (and sometimes deal with) their sin. More often than not I've been thanked for doing so, and in fact, one woman in particular (my wife) was so thankful....that she married me! (ha, but true story).

I'll close by saying that when someone accepts Jesus as Lord and truly lives their life by the examples and teachings He provides (not just learns of them)...life is an awesome, fulfilling and rewarding experience. I honestly can say that I fear nothing, am in want of nothing (yet have little materialy), am never lonely, and everyday I awake provides yet another chance for me to do something 'in His name and for His glory'.

~ Disciple of Jesus

I personally welcome any true-Christian to discipline me
Who has the right to decied what a "true" christian is. Based on little more then your interpretation of the bible. Some one will read the same page and get something different.

I'll tell you, it can be a humbling experience and it wouldn't be too hard to let myself feel offended, but at the same time I know it's done out of love and concern for me by a "true" brother or sister in Christ.
Enough said.

Unfortunately, many non-believers don't see any virtue in this and would rather label the mandate of 1 Timothy 4:6 as being egotistical or self-righteous behavior. They continue to point out the perceived problems within Christianity, yet condemn those Christians who inact on Biblical Scripture that has been given us to police the professing Christian's actions. This begs to question and I often wonder as to whether or not non-believers in this world truly do want to see Christians behave as Christians should.
We are all fools unless we are god. Unless we had the wisdom of God then we are fools. How can you claim you know? That is hypocracy. Are you saying you are Jesus? I am sure he knows the true meaning..Do you?

Lastly, as for speaking out against non-believers, I can say that it is the responsibility of any true Christian to 'show' someone (usually being a friend, relative or associate of some type) how they might be involved in sinfully destructuve behavior.
It there was a passage that said it wasn't sinful to rape black women would you do it? Or if it was ok to kill muslims? Or if the book told you to kill muslims. Once again would you do it?

The one constant has been that this person ALWAYS knew that my intentions were good and NEVER held against me my attempts to help them recognize (and sometimes deal with) their sin.
Do you know what sin is?

I'll close by saying that when someone accepts Jesus as Lord and truly lives their life by the examples and teachings He provides (not just learns of them)...life is an awesome, fulfilling and rewarding experience. I honestly can say that I fear nothing, am in want of nothing (yet have little materialy), am never lonely, and everyday I awake provides yet another chance for me to do something 'in His name and for His glory'.
There is a fine line between living in reality being in contentment and living in a delusions of contentment. Do you know for certain which is true. Only god can know for sure.

Last edited:
Originally posted by Disciple of Jesus
Hello Turduckin ~

Lastly, as for speaking out against non-believers, I can say that it is the responsibility of any true Christian to 'show' someone (usually being a friend, relative or associate of some type) how they might be involved in sinfully destructuve behavior

~ Disciple of Jesus

Hi D. O. J.

I'm looking for the biblical justification this claim of responsibility to speak out.

Tiassa,

You bitch an awful lot about free speech and hypocritical Christians who burn books. In America, shouldn't people be allowed to burn books, or flags or crosses? Or is free speech delimited solely by your opinion of what does and does not qualify? Perhaps this is a different thread, but I'm responding to your rant in this thread.

Why do you not address anything I say?
I don't know about D.O.J, but I'm still trying to formulate a response to your reply about bad fruit from bad trees. The problem is 'literary content'. The parable was trying to make a point, and the sentences that preceded and followed what I quote helped to make the point. A person with a bad heart may occasionally do a good thing, but the motivation and intent end up polluting the act somewhere down the road. Bad things can have good consequences, but the things themselves are still bad. Good things from bad people are often like trojan horses. Yeah, they're good (or seem so) at first, but ususally end up being more like bait set in a trap.

The Christian's Responsibility to Non-Believers

Originally posted by Turduckin
Hi D. O. J.

I'm looking for the biblical justification this claim of responsibility to speak out.

Hello Turduckin ~

As I had previously stated, to "speak-out" against sin (according to what is described as being sinful in the Bible), and the encouraging of repentance of recognized sin in non-believers, is and has been Biblically mandated for the followers of Jesus Christ, otherwise known as Disciples (teachers).

In Galatians 2:7, the Apostle Paul states; "On the contrary, they saw that I had been entrusted with the task of preaching the Gospel (or good news) to the Gentiles (Greeks; obvious non-believers), just as Peter had been to the Jews."

This is just one example that came to mind, but there are numerous others depicting the Disciples of Jesus Christ preaching to non-believers. As modern-day Disciples of Jesus, Christians are to follow the example given us by past Disciples by preaching the Gospel and rebuking sin. Obviously, preaching and rebuking (the recognizing and calling for repentance of sin) is part of what Disciples did then, and so it continues to be our calling.

I hope this clarify's it for you, if not I will search for and share more applicable Scripture.

~ Disciple of Jesus

D.O.J ~
I'm sorry, but I don't see the connection between teaching the gospel and speaking out against sin. Maybe I'm making too fine a point, but I don't think so. I think Tiassa is right on the mark when she said:
Originally posted by Tiassa
To judge by evangelism, salvation is the first and foremost reason to convert. Let me, then, get this straight: You convert in order to save your ass, and God doesn't know you're greedy?
There are many other things that can be said to the 'Gentiles', besides "You are a sinner, but the good news is that Jesus died for you."

I was very impressed by the exchange between New Life and Tiassa. What I heard was mutual respect and a desire for a productive relationship. If we are all created in God's image, then this is how I expect people to act, whether they believe in God or not.

In Reply to Empty Dragon w/My Apologies

Who has the right to decied what a "true" christian is. Based on little more then your interpretation of the bible. Some one will read the same page and get something different.

Enough said.

~ My Reply: Christians are to accept, abide by and follow the examples, teachings and mandates of Jesus Christ and His Disciples as outlined in the Bible. To be a Christian is to be a follower of Jesus Christ. In looking at His example and what He taught, and with the power of the God's (teaching and counseling) Holy Spirit that indwells within the Bible believing and practicing Christian, we can and are told to examine whether or not someone is truly a follower of Jesus Christ. If it is evident the person is not in compliance (based on aligning that persons exhibited words, beliefs and actions with Scripture), his or her truthfulness in claiming Jesus as Lord should be questioned. ~

We are all fools unless we are god. Unless we had the wisdom of God then we are fools. How can you claim you know? That is hypocracy. Are you saying you are Jesus? I am sure he knows the true meaning..Do you?

~ My Reply: See John 14:15-27. This is how the Christian knows.

It there was a passage that said it wasn't sinful to rape black women would you do it? Or if it was ok to kill muslims? Or if the book told you to kill muslims. Once again would you do it?

~ My Reply: Very hypothetical question; especially since Jesus did not promote sin. These would never be asked nor allowed of me. ~

Do you know what sin is?

~ My Reply: YES. Once again, see John 14:15-27 & also John 8:42-47.

There is a fine line between living in reality being in contentment and living in a delusions of contentment. Do you know for certain which is true. Only god can know for sure.

~ My Reply: Only those whom know God (through the Lordship of His Son Jesus Christ) do indeed know true, fulfilling contentment.

For His Glory -

~ Disciple of Jesus

What I heard was mutual respect and a desire for a productive relationship. This is how I expect people to act, whether they believe in God or not.
Turduckin you've got it man!!"Heck Yeah"!!!!:D :D :D :D

Whether Jesus would promote that is obious but would you follow if it was written in the bible. That book has been in the hands of man for a long time.

~ My Reply: See John 14:15-27. This is how the Christian knows.
Explain?

~ My Reply: YES. Once again, see John 14:15-27 & also John 8:42-47.
Once Again explain.

Interpretations of the bible are completly subjective to the reader. One might get this thing, one might get that thing. To think that your interpreation is alwasy correct is idotic.

Last edited:
A person with a bad heart may occasionally do a good thing, but the motivation and intent end up polluting the act somewhere down the road. Bad things can have good consequences, but the things themselves are still bad. Good things from bad people are often like trojan horses. Yeah, they're good (or seem so) at first, but ususally end up being more like bait set in a trap.

That does make sense to a degree. Though my opinion my differes slightly it is not a big deal. I understand your point.

Back