Are Religious People Happier?

I don't know if religious people are happier or not, but it sure seems that way.

Anyone who creates their own fantasies and lives them can't be anything else but happy since they can change their fantasies to suit their life.

From my experience, most religious folk are some of the nicest people that you'd want to meet. And most (not all) atheists that I've met are bitter and cynical people.

You've got it backwards there.

I guess that's why they say "ignorance is bliss".

It would of course stand to reason that religious people are happier. Us atheists have death to look forward to, while religious people get a life part II.

What they have found is, considering all else equal (status, wealth, intelligence, etc.), the religious group will live longer than the non-religious group

Are they living longer because of the limits imposed upon them by their religion? (i.e not being allowed to drink/smoke etc). Yes, I am aware many do do these things - but then I have not seen what kind of people were surveyed.

Us atheists have death to look forward to, while religious people get a life part II.
Religious ones too, but they misunderstand it and they interpret their religion wrong.
Most religions mean a spiritual afterlife after one "gets the message", not some ascending into heaven or something.

His disciples said to him, "When will the kingdom come?"

"It will not come by watching for it. It will not be said, 'Look, here!' or 'Look, there!' Rather, the Father's kingdom is spread out upon the earth, and people don't see it."
(Gospel of Thomas, 113)

p.s. I don't believe in any gods or have any religion and I don't see death to be something "bad". It is required for our world to continue.

Most religions mean a spiritual afterlife after one "gets the message", not some ascending into heaven or something.

This is seemingly not the case among religious people, or indeed the texts that they follow/believe.

ggazoo said:
From my experience, most religious folk are some of the nicest people that you'd want to meet.
Oh, yes, these are very nice people:
107002.jpg

inquisition4.jpg

:rolleyes:

Last edited:
SnakeLord said:
This is seemingly not the case among religious people, or indeed the texts that they follow/believe.
Yes, I'm well aware of that.

The problem is that for the centralised institutions of Chruch (any church, organised religion) it is more convenient that the sheep stay sheep and work for the church and its' agenda.
A man who has gotten into heaven is not so easily controllable as one that yearns to get into heaven.

Even the Gospel of Thomas has not been included in the main/official versions of Bible for centuries for exactly these reasons, altough it has the same status as any other part of the New Testament.

Ironically the people who best understand religions mostly are non-religious students or scientists who study mythologies, put work into cracking the nutshell of a belief system open. That is no task for your general redneck Bubba in Texas.

So it is that only those who get the message presumably get into heaven, but to get the message it is not enough to read a little book, you have to think and research, and that is what most religious people lack, because they believe without thinking, and they believe in the official interpretation of the church which may have other intentions for them.

Yes, I'm well aware of that

Then forgive me, but there was little point making your last statement. Whether the religious or not have got it wrong is not really of relevance to them being happier. I stated that they would be happier seeings as they get a life part II, (the way they see it). Of course they don't get a second life, a third, fourth or twenty ninth - but they believe they do, and I suppose that's all that counts when it comes to happiness.

The amusing thing is watching them defy all reason to try and keep that bubble from bursting.

Whether the religious or not have got it wrong is not really of relevance to them being happier.
Of course.
I said what I said to contribute more information to this discussion which might be of use in clarification of what the religious people generally are.

SnakeLord said:
I stated that they would be happier seeings as they get a life part II, (the way they see it). Of course they don't get a second life, a third, fourth or twenty ninth - but they believe they do, and I suppose that's all that counts when it comes to happiness.

The amusing thing is watching them defy all reason to try and keep that bubble from bursting.

I don't think most religious folks have to 'defy all reason' - they believe what they believe and many of them give it no second thought. Most of them are not on messageboards such as this having to defend themselves.

And while I don't have a "belief" in an afterlife per se, I can see how it is possible, so I don't see why it is such a stretch to at least posit the possibility of an afterlife and have some degree of hope for it. There is nothing to lose in doing so - if my hope turns out to be misplaced, I won't be disappointed - I'll just be dead.

Lerxt:

And while I don't have a "belief" in an afterlife per se, I can see how it is possible, so I don't see why it is such a stretch to at least posit the possibility of an afterlife and have some degree of hope for it. There is nothing to lose in doing so - if my hope turns out to be misplaced, I won't be disappointed - I'll just be dead.

But then there is just as much possibility that upon your death you reincarnate as a dung beetle, or perhaps a poor little starving ethiopian. Yes/no?

Further to which, there is something to lose in doing so. It's called reality.

SnakeLord said:

Lerxt:

But then there is just as much possibility that upon your death you reincarnate as a dung beetle, or perhaps a poor little starving ethiopian. Yes/no?

Further to which, there is something to lose in doing so. It's called reality.

As for the reincarnation question, I honestly don't know. I cannot even assign probabilities to these various scenarios. Given the complete lack of information to work with, I just hope for the best. What I refuse to do is be resigned.

Now, for your second point, what on earth do you mean? How do I "lose out on reality"? I do not actually have any religious beliefs. I am not sacrificing a 'normal' life in order to become a monk in a cave. I am not punishing my kids by making them live by some archaic religious code that seeks to thwart natural human desires and impulses. I live a very secular life, I try to make the most of every day, I assume that this life is the only one I will get.... but I still *hope* for something after.

How is that bad?

As for the reincarnation question, I honestly don't know. I cannot even assign probabilities to these various scenarios.

Then the same is also true of anything else that has absolutely no supporting evidence or value. I just find it odd that you consider one as "it's possible" and the other as "I honestly don't know".

Now, for your second point, what on earth do you mean? How do I "lose out on reality"? I do not actually have any religious beliefs. I am not sacrificing a 'normal' life in order to become a monk in a cave. I am not punishing my kids by making them live by some archaic religious code that seeks to thwart natural human desires and impulses. I live a very secular life, I try to make the most of every day, I assume that this life is the only one I will get.... but I still *hope* for something after.

How is that bad?

It depends how you follow up on that hope. Like many people, I could say I hope I win the lottery - which is seemingly ok as long as that 'hope' never actually intrudes on real life - and yet it can and often does. Good luck to you with your understanding that this life is the only one you get, but there are many many people that literally throw reality to the dogs for the sake of their hopes. I have had the misfortune of seeing people utterly destroyed by a failed hope. Once reality rears it's head and starts slapping away, people can become seriously distraught. Ok admittedly the only time reality could rear it's head, you wouldn't care much anyway - cause you'd be dead, but then from another perspective I have seen people, (with afterlife hopes), willing to commit suicide when this one starts getting them down. There are many negative effects to "hopes". With any luck you can keep that hope where it belongs.

Actually that pic would be funnier if the text was something like:

'Knight Industries 3000: Self detonates when comes in to range of the enemy, can't say: "The criminals are over there Michael", but it can say; "Infidel!"'.. etc etc etc

SnakeLord said:
Then the same is also true of anything else that has absolutely no supporting evidence or value. I just find it odd that you consider one as "it's possible" and the other as "I honestly don't know".

Well, I'd say "it's possible" and "I honestly don't know" about both cases. I entertain the idea of an afterlife because it makes me feel better. I know it is a possibility, I know there are other possibilities. Like I said, I just hope for the best.

SnakeLord said:
It depends how you follow up on that hope. Like many people, I could say I hope I win the lottery - which is seemingly ok as long as that 'hope' never actually intrudes on real life - and yet it can and often does. Good luck to you with your understanding that this life is the only one you get, but there are many many people that literally throw reality to the dogs for the sake of their hopes. I have had the misfortune of seeing people utterly destroyed by a failed hope. Once reality rears it's head and starts slapping away, people can become seriously distraught. Ok admittedly the only time reality could rear it's head, you wouldn't care much anyway - cause you'd be dead, but then from another perspective I have seen people, (with afterlife hopes), willing to commit suicide when this one starts getting them down. There are many negative effects to "hopes". With any luck you can keep that hope where it belongs.

That is some pretty extreme and desperate "hope." You cite examples where someone would alter the way they act to maximize their odds - I don't have that option. I do not think there is anything I can do that will influence the ultimate reality of whether or not there is something after death. So how can possibly act on it? How can it degrade my life? It cannot. Rather, it can make me a happier person. And that is substantial, it is important, it is not to be dismissed out of hand.

That is some pretty extreme and desperate "hope." You cite examples where someone would alter the way they act to maximize their odds - I don't have that option. I do not think there is anything I can do that will influence the ultimate reality of whether or not there is something after death. So how can possibly act on it?

By becoming deeply religious, following all of god's commands and orders, and giving up who you are in the "hope" that you shall attain afterlife.

pascals wager is a prime example of this. [PP] Better to believe there is and never find out, (because of death), than to believe there isn't, find out there is, and then suffer for it.

How can it degrade my life?

Again, it is all about perspective. Some people have turned religious, and due to their actions, (fundie actions admittedly), become a detriment to themselves, their children, and all around them - all because of a desire to go to a "possible" life part II.

SnakeLord said:
By becoming deeply religious, following all of god's commands and orders, and giving up who you are in the "hope" that you shall attain afterlife.

pascals wager is a prime example of this. [PP] Better to believe there is and never find out, (because of death), than to believe there isn't, find out there is, and then suffer for it.

Again, it is all about perspective. Some people have turned religious, and due to their actions, (fundie actions admittedly), become a detriment to themselves, their children, and all around them - all because of a desire to go to a "possible" life part II.

Certainly 'going off the deep end' can be dangerous, so I wouldn't argue with you on that. But again, I'm not talking about 'belief' - I'm an agnostic. I don't believe in any of these things in the positive sense. I completely reject the judeo-christian ideas of god - sure, there is a sliver of a chance that such a god exists, but I find him unjust and ridiculuous, and I'd rather not have an afterlife than hang out with him - especially if it means acting like a moron in this life and giving up the things I like.

Again, there is nothing in my hope for me to act upon, so there is no danger.

You *can* have it both ways.

There is a great quote by Carl Sagan, to the effect that if your kid has cholera, you can either pray or you can treat her with medicine. Now if you were forced to make it either-or, you'd be quite insane (and crimninal) to choose prayer.

But we are leaving out the third option: you could do both.

And there is nothing wrong in doing that.

I'll also add that there plenty of examples of intelligent, well-educated, reasonable, scientific people who also happen to be religious. People who are not fanatics, who lead full, loving lives, and who have thought about all these things in depth. That is an existence proof right there.

Anomalous said:
Are Religious People Happier?

Ignorance is bliss !

While the majority of religious people throughout time have demonstrated great ignorance, not all of them have.

There are religious people who are as intelligent as any atheist, and who have contributed just as much to this world.

I certainly hope everyone here is intelligent and honest enough not to paint every member of a particular group with the same broad brush?

Back