Are ethics real or are there just winners and losers?

TimeTraveller said:
There is nothing to prevent a war of all against all except laws
What's so damn bad about war of all against all?
I mean, in which case is your chances of survival better; Alone vs. group?

And what is a group more powerful than ALL HUMAN BEINGS, acting as whole?

But if instead we rely on ethics, as you say
What if he has the ethic to destroy everyone?

Oniw17 said:
The dinosaurs were not A species, not even close. You can't prove that they hated themselves, eating other species of dinosaurs was no different than you eating a chicken. That IS survival.

The only reason a species will prey on their own young is because there is nothing else to eat. Lions do it for the survival chances of their own young, which will increase if there's less lions to eat the food. Also, so that the females will mate with them, rather than caring for the children that they already have. It's not about the species, it's the genes.

If it wasn't for trade and how easy it is to travel these days, plague and disease wouldn't have very high chances of wiping out our entire speccies, just like it never did when everyone was separated in the past. What plague or pandemic affected people from every continent before 1000? Diseases have NOTHING to do with people hating the species in the first place.

Our world doesn't has the worst atmosphere it ever has you know. That's why there is evolution, for when those things happen.
How on earth did we survive before laws? I guess laws were ALWAYS there.[/QUOTE]

Nothing you said makes any sense. There is no rational reason for a male lion to prey on it's young other than the fact that the cat species is among the most irrational of all species, just like humans. Humans don't have a rational reason to prey on their young, but they do it for sport and pleasure.

sniffy said:
time traveller
you seem a bit mixed up about the definition of ethics
Ethics are rules or codas created by individuals and societies generally, some may be derived from religious teachings others may oppose religious teachings. The problem is that ethics differ between one society and another and even between individuals.

Those who interpret Darwin's main principal as 'survival of the fittest' are misinterpreting his theory. 'Survival' means literally survival of those best adapted to changing situations. Humans are already in deep shit. That is not to say, however, that we can't adapt our ways and therefore our 'ethics'. If we can't or won't we won't survive that's for sure.

Exactly, we won't survive. This is why we need to develop ethics into a science of survival and survivability, instead of just leaving it in the realm of religion. How exactly are athiests supposed to be ethical if they have no religion?

What a ridiculous question! To say that because a person is not religious they cannot be ethical. An incredibly unethical thing to say.

sniffy said:
What a ridiculous question! To say that because a person is not religious they cannot be ethical. An incredibly unethical thing to say.

Define your calculus, what science do you use as an athiest to decide right from wrong? How do you make decisions?

I never used the word "cannot", I am saying either a science or religion is required. If you don't have religion, explain your science.

Explain my arse. That should keep you occupied for a while.
Why don't you explain your own 'science' then we'd all know what you are talking about?
My decision making process is based on my own system of ethics (moral codes?) developed over my lifetime. These are a mixture of societal codes which allow me to function in the outside world without becoming an outcast or a prisoner. Then I have a personal set of codes developed via my life experience. These moral codes are not necessarily fixed but respond to changing situations (life's little lessons). I suspect there is also a set of evolutionary codes that would kick in if I was faced with a life or death situation.

sniffy said:
Explain my arse. That should keep you occupied for a while.
Why don't you explain your own 'science' then we'd all know what you are talking about?
My decision making process is based on my own system of ethics (moral codes?) developed over my lifetime. These are a mixture of societal codes which allow me to function in the outside world without becoming an outcast or a prisoner. Then I have a personal set of codes developed via my life experience. These moral codes are not necessarily fixed but respond to changing situations (life's little lessons). I suspect there is also a set of evolutionary codes that would kick in if I was faced with a life or death situation.

You are proving my point. If you can't explain the science, you don't have a science to explain.

Explain the science behind your code otherwise no one knows it really exists anymore than anything else you say. If you cannot explain it, and just define it as a vague personal code, how do we know that code exists at all?

You have situational ethics? That is about the only bit of science you mentioned, all ethics are based on situations. Explain your rational decision making process, explain your science, lets discuss your code.

I don't know what you mean by "kick in", as if ethics can be turned on or off. Ethics are based on logic, I'm interested in knowing how you formed your code /logic without religion or science as a basis. Just saying trial and error is not really good enough. Just saying it kicks in does not explain either.

Situational ethics and ethics in general, like religions, are not science but philosophy based. Unless you can pintpoint what in the human physiology is responsible for human ethics there is no point talking about the science of it.

My particular set of ethics is personal to me because I am ther only one (as far as I know) with my particular set of life experiences.

You may be itching for me to talk about conscience. Some studies of criminal psycopaths have suggested that they have no discernable conscience because the part of the brain responsible for conscience is either damaged or missing.

There's some science do you feel better now.

I disagree. I believe ethics are based on logic. Philosophy explains logic, but logic is a trait/feature of the brain. We decide right from wrong based on calculations of cause and effect. Each situation is a slightly different calculation, but there are right and wrong answers according to game theory.

Natural law, natural rights, the constitution, the criminal system and all laws are at least in theory based on logic arguements, not legal philosophy. If it's all based on legal philosophy then there is no seperate from church and state. So in order for something to be ethical, it must be absolutely the right decision, something you can prove is right with game theory, or logical arguement, rational arguement, or explaination. If it simply feels good, that does not make it ethical as a lot of the time the ethical decision feels the worst.

Then we must agree to disagree.
Our brains did not evolve according to game theory.
What is right for one person would not be for another person.
Sometimes people decide to do something even though they know it is ethically wrong.
Killing being a case in point.
Naughty, naughty people.

TimeTraveler said:
I disagree. I believe ethics are based on logic.

As I see it, TT, you may believe anything that you wish to believe ...as long as it doesn't harm anyone else.

I believe that there are little green men on Mars. I also believe that there are little blue men living on Pluto.

Baron Max

Baron Max said:
As I see it, TT, you may believe anything that you wish to believe ...as long as it doesn't harm anyone else.

I believe that there are little green men on Mars. I also believe that there are little blue men living on Pluto.

Baron Max

The harm principle is the core of ALL ethics. I t is also the core of our countries foundation. Hobbes and JS. Mill both agreed on this principle. A human may have complete liberty as long as they harm no one. The simple fact is, humans harm everyone and everything including themselves. So this whole (ethics are personal) stuff, I disagree with because a person with the wrong ethics is harming me, you, and everyone else indirectly.

I stick to the claim that game theory is the science of ethics. Many people may say they don't follow it, but honestly, if you and your group of friends follow it, it will protect you from many negative situations,and also give you quick and easy solutions to difficult problems.

One example of a game theory problem we can all relate to is the prisoners dillema.
In game theory, the prisoner's dilemma is a type of non-zero-sum game in which two players can "cooperate" with or "defect" (i.e. betray) the other player. In this game, as in all game theory, the only concern of each individual player ("prisoner") is maximizing his/her own payoff, without any concern for the other player's payoff per se. In the classic form of this game, cooperating is strictly dominated by defecting, so that the only possible equilibrium for the game is for all players to defect. In simpler terms, no matter what the other player does, one player will always gain a greater payoff by playing defect. Since in any situation playing defect is more beneficial than cooperating, all rational players will play defect.

The unique equilibrium for this game is a Pareto-suboptimal solution—that is, rational choice leads the two players to both play defect even though each player's individual reward would be greater if they both played cooperate. In equilibrium, each prisoner chooses to defect even though both would be better off by cooperating, hence the dilemma.

In the iterated prisoner's dilemma the game is played repeatedly. Thus each player has an opportunity to "punish" the other player for previous non-cooperative play. Cooperation may then arise as an equilibrium outcome. The incentive to defect is overcome by the threat of punishment, leading to the possibility of a cooperative outcome. If the game is infinitely repeated cooperation may be a Nash equilibrium although both players defecting always remains an equilibrium.

Game Theory is situation based, in game theory, each situation is called a game, and in each game there are winners and losers. The most rational move to make in any situation, is the move which allows all players to share victory. This however, rarely happens because people are usually too emotional to be rational.

If we for example set an nearly unlimited amount of money on the table, and we said to everyone on this forum that each of us could have as much money as we need to survive, or everyone could fight for all the money and risk no one getting the money at all, most people would choose the irrational move to fight over a possibility, rather than accept guarenteed lifetime income. This move is irrational because the individual is choosing to gamble for it all instead of accept a guarenteed profit, and this is usually done for emotional reasons such as greed. If all players simply decided to accept their guarenteed income, they could then share their money as a group and each individual would have slightly more than the guarenteed income.

You also see this in situations with file sharing, where someone decides to share music with the masses because they want the ability to access more music than if they don't share. This is rational, it is irrational however to hoard music, and it seems in music a tleast, in the digital world, we have a lot of rational people, but when you look in the real world offline, people often do the irrational thing, like gambling their life savings away, or other irrational ideas and actions which we'd call unethical.

Sharing is ethical, stealing may even be ethical if the situation is right, but to steal from yourself, that is ALWAYS unethical. So while it might be ethical to steal from an unlimited supply, such as air, water, food, from a vending machine that just gives it all out, it's definately unethical to rob a blind homeless person of their only meal.

It gets tricker, but with game theory, you can actually calculate in a point system who will win, and who will lose, with your every action and with your every decision. The best decisions are decisions which as many people can win from as possible, so when you win a game, you want to win in a way that creates a chain reaction of victories so you can share success. If you win the game in such a way that you rob everyone else of success and victory, what you are doing here is irrational and unethical.

In any game, in any situation, if all players cooperate, it's better for all players than if all players fight.

Rationality and super-rationality

One resolution of the dilemma proposed by Douglas Hofstadter in his Metamagical Themas is to reject the definition of "rational" that led to the "rational" decision to defect. Truly rational (or "superrational") players take into account that the other person is superrational, like them, and thus they cooperate. This analysis of the one-shot game is in complete contradiction to classical game theory, but follows naturally from the symmetry between the two players:

* an optimal strategy must be the same for both players
* the result must lie on the diagonal of the payoff matrix
* maximize return from solutions on the diagonal
* cooperate

Hofstadter also expresses a strong personal belief that the mathematical symmetry is reinforced by a moral symmetry, along the lines of the Kantian categorical imperative: defecting in the hope that the other player cooperates is morally indefensible. If players treat each other as they would treat themselves, then off-diagonal results cannot occur.

Here are some more examples, of game theory

In sociology or criminology, the PD may be applied to an actual dilemma facing two inmates. Marek Kaminski, a former political prisoner and game theorist (see References below), analyzes the factors contributing to payoffs in the game set up by a prosecutor for arrested defendants. He concludes that while the PD is the ideal game of a prosecutor, numerous factors may strongly affect the payoffs and potentially change the properties of the game

Another interesting example concerns a well-known concept in cycling races, for instance in the Tour de France. Consider two cyclists halfway in a race, with the peloton (larger group) at great distance behind them. The two cyclists often work together (mutual cooperation) by sharing the tough load of the front position, where there is no shelter from the wind. If neither of the cyclists makes an effort to stay ahead, the peloton will soon catch up (mutual defection). An often-seen scenario is one cyclist doing the hard work alone (cooperating), keeping the two ahead of the peloton. In the end, this will likely lead to a victory for the second cyclist (defecting) who has an easy ride in the first cyclist's slipstream.

Also in athletics, there is a widespread practice in high school wrestling where the participants intentionally lose unnaturally large amounts of weight so as to compete against lighter opponents. In doing so, the participants are clearly not at their top level of physical and athletic fitness and yet often end up competing against the same opponents anyway, who have also followed this practice (mutual defection). The result is a reduction in the level of competition. Yet if a participant maintains their natural weight (cooperating), they likely will compete against a nominally stronger opponent who has lost considerable weight.

dvertising is sometimes cited as a real life example of the prisoner’s dilemma. When cigarette advertising was legal in the United States, competing cigarette manufacturers had to decide how much money to spend on advertising. The effectiveness of Firm A’s advertising was partially determined by the advertising conducted by Firm B. Likewise, the profit derived from advertising for Firm B is affected by the advertising conducted by Firm A. If both Firm A and Firm B chose to advertise during a given period the advertising cancels out, receipts remain constant, and expenses increase due to the cost of advertising. Both firms would benefit from a reduction in advertising. However, should Firm B choose not to advertise, Firm A could benefit greatly by advertising. Nevertheless, the optimal amount of advertising by one firm depends on how much advertising the other undertakes. As the best strategy is not independent of what the other firm chooses there is no dominant strategy and this is not a prisoner's dilemma. The outcome is though similar in that both firms would be better off were they to advertise less than in the equilibrium. Sometimes cooperative behaviours do emerge in business situations. For instance, cigarette manufacturers endorsed the creation of laws banning cigarette advertising, understanding that this would reduce costs and increase profits across the industry.[citation needed] [5]. This analysis is likely to be pertinent in many other business situations involving advertising.

Finally the best example of game theory, driving.

A mundane but familiar set of examples of the prisoner's dilemma can be seen in automobile driving behaviour. From traffic violations (e.g., speeding, red light running) to reckless driving (e.g., passing in the shoulder to then cut off), these behaviours give a benefit to the perpetrator while hindering the efficiency of the general traffic and the safety of all.

Can you see how there is a legit science of ethics already in development? I'm just suggesting we complete the science. I'm specifically calling on athiests to focus on this. Athiests always get stereotyped as not having any ethics, and you won't convince people you are ethical by being anti God, or by hating God, or whatever and then offering no rational reason or logical replacement for that code of ethics. Ethics are real, it's a science, it's not a religion, athiests say this themselves when they claim to have ethics, so if it's a science, athiests should be the ones who take the lead in developing the science.

I'll say one thing for you, TT, ....you sure don't give up, do you?! Even in the face of overwhelming odds, you just keep plugging along, beieving something that almost no one on Earth believes anymore. ...LOL!

Sorry, TT, but you're simply barking up the wrong tree with this issue ...can't you find something more profitable on which to spend you time? How 'bout volunteering at a homeless shelter feeding soup to the poor?

Baron Max

perplexity said:
Then we must wish you good luck in looking for the logic in what some would call ethics.

I had never found it so easy, myself.

--- Ron.

Logic IS ETHICS, ETHICS are LOGIC, without logic you cannot have ethics, without ethics you cannot have logic, as they both come from the same principles. The economy itself was based on logic, assuming that everyone would be ethical, and if everyone were ethical the invisible hand of the market, the economy, the whole system would work perfectly. This is what Adam Smith and the founders counted on.

Most people learn right from wrong by trial and error, or from religion. Religion is based on ethics, which are based on philosophy, which is based on logic. So you see, it's logical to love thy neighbor, love being the emotion, but without this logical sentence there could never be a society in the first place because a society starts on the micro level of loving thy neighbor, this allows for the creation of a community, and the communities combined become a society. Civilization itself requires cooperation to exist, and while you don't have to love your neighbor, you do have to do business with and cooperate with your neighbor, and this process is made easier when you love your neighbor and your neighbor loves you, so it's actually a practical trade policy to do business with people you love over people you don't love, just like it is practical to hire people you trust.

So do you see how ethics are the foundation for everything, from our legal system, to our economy, to the formation of all of our civilization, because without ethics people will literally slaughter each other to death non stop in a competition for unlimited resources, like air.

Baron Max said:
I'll say one thing for you, TT, ....you sure don't give up, do you?! Even in the face of overwhelming odds, you just keep plugging along, beieving something that almost no one on Earth believes anymore. ...LOL!

Sorry, TT, but you're simply barking up the wrong tree with this issue ...can't you find something more profitable on which to spend you time? How 'bout volunteering at a homeless shelter feeding soup to the poor?

Baron Max

Well, think of it this way, if the world does not survive whats the point in wasting your energy on the poor, on society, or on humans? you'd be better off doing something creative.

As far as profitable, profitable only matters if it increases your security and quality of life. So working in a homeless shelter I'd say is a waste of energy unless you live in a society that cares about the homeless. I'd say working to help people is a waste of energy unless you live in a society that cares about people. So suggest a job for me that would have nothing to do with people or society whatso ever, otherwise the only option is to work a job that cares about people or work a job that hates people, these being the two extremes and neither really being rational.

I think the most rational career focus is in ethics. Humanism is rational, you are asking me to apply myself in an irrational way? Sure, offer me a contract to make music or art and I'd consider it simply for the quality of life increase. I consider myself a builder, I'm not naturally good at destroying stuff, and we already have plenty of destroyers anyway. I think bio-ethics are important, if the world wants to die irrationally, then lets pretend humans and society do not exist and think up careers which arent human centric. Let's assume the species will die out no matter what we do, and all work for entertainment and quality of life, this way we can die out with good music, lots of liqour, high, and partying, and maybe while we are at it, we can build stuff like giant paintings and buildings so that the next species or group of aliens can see what we accomplished.

Last edited:
TimeTraveler said:
Nothing you said makes any sense. There is no rational reason for a male lion to prey on it's young other than the fact that the cat species is among the most irrational of all species, just like humans. Humans don't have a rational reason to prey on their young, but they do it for sport and pleasure.
No. Lions do not prey on their own young, but the young of other male competitors when they take control of a group of females from another male lion. Cats are not A species. A VERY low percent of people "prey" on their OWN young. The lion kills the other lion's young because it gives him the chance to mate with the females, as they won't be worried about the young that they already have. I thought ?I said that already though, so why doesn't it make sense?

TT
Suggest you get some sleep. It might clear your mind a bit.
Ethics and logic are two different things!
An ethical code does not have to have any basis at all in logic.

Consider a life threatening situation for a parent and its child where only one can live. Moral question - who to save self or child? Logic might say save self ethics might say otherwise. By the same token logic might say save child ethics save self.

sniffy said:
TT
Suggest you get some sleep. It might clear your mind a bit.
Ethics and logic are two different things!
An ethical code does not have to have any basis at all in logic.

Consider a life threatening situation for a parent and its child where only one can live. Moral question - who to save self or child? Logic might say save self ethics might say otherwise

Actually that is still selfishness. Your child is yourself so you are still saving yourself. It's rational to save your child because it's you, they have the same genes as you, the same DNA. So your example of ethics still shows me that it's a logical act to protect your children, it's saving yourself(you are your DNA).

. By the same token logic might say save child ethics save self.
Your example was a poor choice. Logic would say that self is based on DNA, and that your child sharing your DNA, is you, and this is the real reason why people love, and the real reason why people protect their children. It's not that they are being irrational or illogical, it's perfectly logical and rational for a parent to want a child to outlive them, thats the whole rational basis for having a child in the first place.

When you select a mate it's the same thing, you select the best mate you can find, love is rational and emotional, it's rational because you need someone to share your life with for practical reasons, you cannot raise your kid alone, or pay for a house alone, nor would you want to. This is rational as life is easier and you'll likely live longer when you work as a team.

The child, is the result of either irrational love, or a rational decision to have a family, but in the end, it almost always ends up rational. It's irrational for parents to kill their child, so while you might think that self is limited to your physical body, that's actually less rational than understanding that your kid is you, and will pass on your DNA down the line. If animals all ate their young they'd go extinct because thats irrational behavior, but if parents all die protecting the youngest offspring, the chance of survival is the greatest and therefore it's a rational decision. Ethics are based on rational decision making, and to die trying to protect your child, or any child, is actually super selfish, and super rational, while to steal from your child is actually irrational and less selfish because your sense of self is simply limited.

I don't know how you can say ethics and logic are two different things when you cannot have ethics without logic and you cannot have logic without ethics.

They both are clearly related because they rely on each other.

Oniw17 said:
No. Lions do not prey on their own young, but the young of other male competitors when they take control of a group of females from another male lion. Cats are not A species. A VERY low percent of people "prey" on their OWN young. The lion kills the other lion's young because it gives him the chance to mate with the females, as they won't be worried about the young that they already have. I thought ?I said that already though, so why doesn't it make sense?

I don't know the exact percentage of people who prey on their young, but I'm not confident enough to say it's low. We feed our young junk food, we don't seem to care about starving kids in the third world, I'd say we do a good job preying on our young, but thats just my opinion.

Most people don't care about the third world children for the same reasons lions don't like male competitors, people don't like competition, especially from the third world, so it's better to let the third world starve than to compete with billions and billions of people for fewer and fewer jobs. This is the result of econmic situations really.

Humans can and will do anything any animal can do, that is something to always remember.

That's probably because humans ARE animals. There goes your argument about logic.
I'll use your tactic of just repeating things in the hope that it'll sink in. Logic and ethics are two different things.

I love your paragraph about not wanting or being able to raise a child alone and pay for a house alone. quite a few people seem to be doing just that.

Back