Are atheists pagans?

He sure does.

fakenews2091ap0.png

That label is way too long Haps. You're an atheist who likes stories, that's all
Meh. Well all have the right to define ourselves. I choose to define myself as I did.
Besides, I paraphrased. I didn't want to go into detail.

He sure does.
You actually went and looked up that picture? The one that I posted months ago? Just to prove a point? :bugeye:

How thoughtful. :p :D

I especially like the riot in Rome "turning violent". I suppose up until the rioter pulled out the gun, the riot was quite peaceful? :D

He is quite right about the definition of Pagan though.
What i dont get is how Christianity and Atheism are not necessarily mutally exclusive. :bugeye:

They are mutually exclusive. Except that atheists and christians have to share the same planet...

Well, all that is necessary for someone to be a Christian is to follow Jesus's moral teachings. One can do that without believing in a deity. It's just a matter of viewing the Christian New Testament as a figurative book of parables, built to convey a message rather than anything related to direct theology.
Fuck, by the end of the first century, half of the Christians who existed, were gnostics who believed that Jesus didn't even exist. It's all a matter of interpretation and definition.

So, it's not necessarily mutually exclusive.
It's just mutually exclusive by convention, because the concept of Jesus being a real and deistic character has since been ingrained into Christian doctrine during the time between the first century and now.

Well, all that is necessary for someone to be a Christian is to follow Jesus's moral teachings. One can do that without believing in a deity. It's just a matter of viewing the Christian New Testament as a figurative book of parables, built to convey a message rather than anything related to direct theology.
Fuck, by the end of the first century, half of the Christians who existed, were gnostics who believed that Jesus didn't even exist. It's all a matter of interpretation and definition.

So, it's not necessarily mutually exclusive.
It's just mutually exclusive by convention, because the concept of Jesus being a real and deistic character has since been ingrained into Christian doctrine during the time between the first century and now.

You are missing one thing though... Christians believe Jesus is the son of God.
Therefor they also have to believe in God.

You're half-right. It's conventionally a part of that religion, but not absolutely necessary. All that's required is that they follow the guy's moral and ethical teachings.
The vast a majority of Christians believe he was some kind of deity. So, in practice, that's one of the criteria. But, theoretically speaking, it's not absolutely necessary.

You're half-right. It's conventionally a part of that religion, but not absolutely necessary. All that's required is that they follow the guy's moral and ethical teachings.
The vast a majority of Christians believe he was some kind of deity. So, in practice, that's one of the criteria. But, theoretically speaking, it's not absolutely necessary.

If Jesus wasnt the son of God, what was so special about him ? You could just as easily take any other good-doer to base your faith on. :bugeye:

Neither was Buddha, but his message was good enough to base a religion upon, regardless of any theological aspects.
Same with Yeshua ben Yosef. His message stands out in the context of the time period.

Last edited:
Neither was Buddha, but his message was good enough to base a religion upon, regardless of any theological aspects.
Same with Yeshua ben Yosef. His message stands out in the context of the time period.

Then its just some guy with good ideas that you can adopt, why start a religion then ?

Well, that's really all a religion is- a set of beliefs about how to live one's life. Philosophy and meta-ethics.

Besides, humans just have a tendency to blow historical figures far out of proportion to their historical deeds. Hence why there's the multitudes of gods in all the various religions and such. Real people with good ideas getting mythologised by their later followers.

Well, that's really all a religion is- a set of beliefs about how to live one's life. Philosophy and meta-ethics.

Besides, humans just have a tendency to blow historical figures far out of proportion to their historical deeds. Hence why there's the multitudes of gods in all the various religions and such. Real people with good ideas getting mythologised by their later followers.

I, for one, think theres nothing wrong with for instance the ten commandments. But i refuse to believe in any God or any other holy being.

I think i know what your getting at. You say an atheist can still adopt, for instance, the ten commandsments because he/she thinks they make sense.
But i dont see how that would make you a Christian.

It depends on to what degree they believe in those instructions or philosophical precepts. At it's core, though, it's just a matter of definitions. And definitions of those concepts vary from person to person.

It depends on to what degree they believe in those instructions or philosophical precepts. At it's core, though, it's just a matter of definitions. And definitions of those concepts vary from person to person.

I agree. But, to me, it still seems silly to adopt a religion merely because you like the morals it teaches. Seems more logical to just adopt the morals and nothing more.

Yeah. Very true.

On the other hand, if it's a religion, it generally has its own name, which makes it much easier to label one's given philosophy. :scratchin:

I think it all comes down to whether you want to fully explain your philosophy to someone who asks, or if you want to use a shorthand term to answer the question quickly. It's a matter of laziness, really. :D:p

Yeah. Very true.

On the other hand, if it's a religion, it generally has its own name, which makes it much easier to label one's given philosophy. :scratchin:

I think it all comes down to whether you want to fully explain your philosophy to someone who asks, or if you want to use a shorthand term to answer the question quickly. It's a matter of laziness, really. :D:p

If this really is true it puts religion in a whole new perspective. When i say "i dont believe in God" do the theists take that as "i dont believe in your morals" ?

Back