Any atheists here who were once believers?

Aw. :eek:
Well, that's nice I guess. Comes from a good place you know?
I appreciate you sharing like this, Sarkus.

He's referring to me. Lol

Please just let it go, Robittybob.
He? OK. Look, you can't deny that you are doing your best to shun me. Do I deserve it? You're going to have Peace soon as I'm traveling. I'd still like to know why an atheist asked for a prayer request? I'd still like to know why an atheist would post links to Christian songs and got upset when I didn't like them?

The interesting thing to me about religion is the big picture and not the arguing about the small details.

Just staying with the big question, I find it interesting that so many people believe that they know anything at all about something that they have to know that they can't know anything at all about.

All the detail that comes later is comical if you think about it. It would be like the children's game where you tell a simple story to one person and it gets retold as it goes from one person to another all in a circle.

By the time it gets to the last person the resulting story has changed so much that it isn't even recognizable.

With religion you would start the story out with "There is a God" and by the end of the story there are burning bushes and thoughts on what kind of meat one shouldn't eat on Friday :)

I find it interesting that so many people believe that they know anything at all about something that they have to know that they can't know anything at all about.

Those that do are lying.

The problem here is that we've become so accustomed and programmed to accept the word "belief" and have been forced to respect religions and the practice thereof. We need to start thinking in terms of what religions are and what is being propagated; lies. The term 'belief' should be removed and substituted with the word 'lie', because that is exactly what it is and what the religion is teaching people to do.

Those that do are lying.

The problem here is that we've become so accustomed and programmed to accept the word "belief" and have been forced to respect religions and the practice thereof. We need to start thinking in terms of what religions are and what is being propagated; lies. The term 'belief' should be removed and substituted with the word 'lie', because that is exactly what it is and what the religion is teaching people to do.

I disagree with your solution if not with the rest. "Lie, liar" aren't very helpful words to use if you want to convince anyone of anything and certainly will not promote conversation.

How about just replacing "belief" with thinking one knows what one cannot and does not know?

Those that do are lying.

Does that mean those that say they don't believe in God are also lying?

I disagree with your solution if not with the rest. "Lie, liar" aren't very helpful words to use if you want to convince anyone of anything and certainly will not promote conversation.

How about just replacing "belief" with thinking one knows what one cannot and does not know?

Why should we do that? Your solution will only serve to continue propagating the lies of religions.

I am new here. So, this discussion is very confusing to me.

We are not talking about Cthulhu existing are we?

I have to point out being a Lovecraft reader that Cthulhu is completely fictional, with no historical cult. Lovecraft's stuff is spooky because he weaves in bits of 'legit' occult stuff now and then (meaning, books/titles/people who actually existed related to the occult). It is not real.

Also, I feel compelled to say that Cthulhu cares nothing for devouring souls but instead wreaks evil and destruction in wanton abandon. If he stepped on you then you were in his path to destroy something more important (referring to the literary monster).

There was a Necronomicon written and published in the late 70's I think, which is either completely fabricated or derived from various historical hermetic sources.

Turn down your earphones a little to not blow out your eardrums and watch this. The secret of bizarre weirdness is the fabrication mixed with historical figures of the occult.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBSuRB1AhxY

Hi Great Old One,
Cheezle and I don't get along because I believe in occult phenomena and he does not. You and I know that HP Lovecraft is a cosmic horror fiction writer. But Cheezle is just trying to confuse Lovecraft fiction with occultism to get back at me. I posted the picture of the Old One's because I thought it was cool. Feel free to start a Lovecraft thread; it would be a good discussion.

Why should we do that? Your solution will only serve to continue propagating the lies of religions.

I disagree. One way points out to anyone who cares what is really going on (pretending to know what one doesn't know) and the other (liar) is simply offensive and convinces no one of anything.

If I call you a liar does it makes you reconsider or does it just make you dig in first and and return the insult? Nothing accomplished there.

Does that mean those that say they don't believe in God are also lying?
People who say they don't know are called agnostics. People who don't believe in God are called atheists. People who say that they know that God doesn't exist are indeed lying.

People who know that God does exist are called, the faithful.

I disagree. One way points out to anyone who cares what is really going on (pretending to know what one doesn't know) and the other (liar) is simply offensive and convinces no one of anything.

If I call you a liar does it makes you reconsider or does it just make you dig in first and and return the insult? Nothing accomplished there.

You seem to be talking about political correctness. That doesn't work anymore with religions.

You seem to be talking about political correctness. That doesn't work anymore with religions.

It just called effectiveness, maturity, etc. You are talking to "religions". You are talking to people. People don't like to be called liars.

It just called effectiveness, maturity, etc. You are talking to "religions". You are talking to people. People don't like to be called liars.

Religions are ideologies, they are not people. It doesn't matter whether or not people like to be called liars. If they are propagating and perpetuating lies, then you need to call a spade a spade.

Back