Another Religious Paraphenalia Trial

oh so what. you have to pay for emergency services if they get run over with a helmet too. and you have to pay for them if they don't die right away too. best case scenario is they get their brains splattered all over the pavement and die right away as they wish.

That's a good argument to outlaw motorcycles in general, but a weak one in relation to helmets.

Your argument would also be a good one in relation to hang gliding, with or without helmets, parachuting, hunting and so on.

Hell, driving could be seen as a crime in general. Viva public transport, reduce the number of fatalities children observe.

Your argument is not to the point. If it is illegal to ride a motorcycle without wearing a helmet, anyone doing so is breaking the law period.

Having said that the statistics show a reduction in deaths if accidents occur when a driver is wearing a helmet. I cannot quote chapter and verse but I'm sure the data are available.I rode a motorcycle for many years and , in my experience, the majority of deaths among motorcyclists were due to head injuries. Broken limbs can be mended, broken skulls spilling brains cannot.

oh so what. you have to pay for emergency services if they get run over with a helmet too. and you have to pay for them if they don't die right away too.

I think that the problem is deeper than that. I am talking about lawsuits and accidents involving two vehicles.

Really??? How so???

If I had the time I'd consider making my own religion. Perhaps something from Norse mythology or Japanese Shinto or maybe a new Islam, that should be easy.

Unless the religion is harmless and doesnt resemble a cult then maybe, but you will certainly be looked into. Develop customs that can endanger your followers or other people and it wont last. There is precedence that supports this.

Anarchy lives! Seems it really doesn't matter what a judge thinks because God is going to straighten us out anyway.

Well in the eternal view of things what the judge rules makes not a jot of difference at all.

Also it is not Anarchy it is simply two law systems running in parallel. There should be no laws requiring people to wear helmets anyway. One does not harm others by refusing to wear a helmet. One can only cause harm to themselves. The only reason why helmets have been made mandatory under the laws of some nations is the effective pressure applied by insurance co-operations motivated by maximizing profits for their shareholders.

He's so wise. He lets judges make decisions even though it means nothing. Are we not mandated by Him to make sensible decisions...what for?

Let the individual make sensible decisions. Not the government make laws trying to make everyone sensible. Lets make a law that everyone has to have a bath twice a day or lets make a law that people are to cook eggs for 3 minutes before eating them. We can take this nanny state stupidity to the max and have 10.000 laws telling people what to do every second of the say and every day of the week in an attempt to wrap the worlds population up in cotton wool and stifle freedom.

Then you shouldn't get upset when someone calls you a moron for believing in such foolishness.

I feel sorry for the person who calls belief in God moronic. If i got upset then i would not come in here for years would i? You atheists really do overestimate the effects of your mockery and insults don't you.

In the meantime the rest of us heathens will do our best to keep you from being killed unnecessarily.

What? I wear a helmet when i ride a bike mate. I do so to protect my head from injuries. I wear it because it is the smart thing to do, NOT BECAUSE SOME FACIST GOVERNEMNT TELLS ME TOO. But i respect the person who believes they should not wear a helmet. That’s the difference between one who believes in freedom and one like you who has the mindset of a dictator.

All Praise The Ancient Of Days

You forgot to mention the lake of fire awaiting those who force others to wear helmets.

And they said unto him: " Wherefore wearest thou not a helmet ?" And he replied: " See ye not that I ride a slow donkey "

Eugenics: 3.11

Also it is not Anarchy it is simply two law systems running in parallel. There should be no laws requiring people to wear helmets anyway. One does not harm others by refusing to wear a helmet. One can only cause harm to themselves. The only reason why helmets have been made mandatory under the laws of some nations is the effective pressure applied by insurance co-operations motivated by maximizing profits for their shareholders.

Let the individual make sensible decisions. Not the government make laws trying to make everyone sensible. Lets make a law that everyone has to have a bath twice a day or lets make a law that people are to cook eggs for 3 minutes before eating them. We can take this nanny state stupidity to the max and have 10.000 laws telling people what to do every second of the say and every day of the week in an attempt to wrap the worlds population up in cotton wool and stifle freedom.

You atheists really do overestimate the effects of your mockery and insults don't you.

What? I wear a helmet when i ride a bike mate. I do so to protect my head from injuries. I wear it because it is the smart thing to do, NOT BECAUSE SOME FACIST GOVERNEMNT TELLS ME TOO. But i respect the person who believes they should not wear a helmet. That’s the difference between one who believes in freedom and one like you who has the mindset of a dictator.
M*W: As a person who believes in freedom, I don't understand how bikers have to wear a helmet (yes, I understand about spilled brains), but it hardly seems fair in comparison to people riding in cars. It's a law that we have to wear seat belts. (I know the statistics show the advantage of wearing them). But there is something a tad wrong with the laws governing these motor vehicles. We have to wear seat belts. They have to wear helmets. We're both on the same road at the same time. I hit you, you die. You hit me, you die. Helmet or no helmet. Seat belt or no seat belt. The odds are against the one who chooses to propel a two-wheeled vehicle, but the riders in a car have to be bound and gagged to their seat. I find this is an imbalanced equation. BTW, I always wear my seat belt (...statistics have shown...), but I resent having to tie myself down like a load of bricks while the motorcyclist weaves in and out of the traffic just asking to paint the highway with his blood.

Disclaimer: I like motorcycles and have on occasion, in an earlier day, rode tandem, so I'm not in any way condemning motorcycles or cyclists, but I wore a helmet even when it wasn't required.

M*W's Friendly Atheist Quote (FAQ) of the Day:

"Ask yourself whether the dream of heaven and greatness should be left waiting for us in our graves--or whether it should be ours here and now and on this earth." ~ Ayn Rand

M*W's Anti-Bitterness Comments (ABCs) of the Day:

"I believe tht we are solely responsible for our choices, and we have to accept the consequence of every deed, word and thought throughout our lifetime." ~ Elizabeth Kubler-Ross, b. 1926 Swiss-born American Psychiatrist

I think that the problem is deeper than that. I am talking about lawsuits and accidents involving two vehicles.

whether or not this guy is wearing a helmet has absolutely no bearing on how injured another person may be if involved in the accident, or whose fault it is.

Well in the eternal view of things what the judge rules makes not a jot of difference at all.

I get the feeling that you can't wait to die. Not by your own hand but because of a decision you or someone else might make where you become the victim. If your death is a product of free will being exercised then is it proof of God in your mind? I sense that you feel there is some glory attached to dying because of a choice you or someone else made. What are you, Christian Samurai?

Would you have a problem if the law suddenly said all Christians must die?

I get the feeling that you can't wait to die.

You have been coming here long enough to know i would love to die. I have made it quite clear in several posts, I am amazed that you only get the "feeling" now after all this time when my desire should have been as clear as crystal.

Not by your own hand but because of a decision you or someone else might make where you become the victim.

No. I would prefer just to be walking down the road one day and drop dead from a brain clot or some similar cause or maybe die in my sleep tonight.
If i did die as a victim then someone would be guilty of my death and the vengeance of God is far more terrible than any form of death that could be perpetrated on me. So i do not wish for someone to kill me for their sakes. But having said that i know it is a great honour to be persecuted and killed because of ones faith in the Will of God.

If your death is a product of free will being exercised then is it proof of God in your mind?

No.

I sense that you feel there is some glory attached to dying because of a choice you or someone else made. What are you, Christian Samurai?

There is honour in being killed for the reason of ones faith in God. But the Samurai like the modern jihadist suicide bombers die in the act of killing others, so they are not martyrs. They are murderers killed while carrying out their act of murder. Martyrs never seek to kill others.

Would you have a problem if the law suddenly said all Christians must die?

Personaly No. But the ones who made such a law would have an eternal problem. And the people who heeded such a law and started killing Christians would have an eternal problem. The ones who would suffer the most out of such a law would be the founders and the upholders of that law.

Oh PS Prophecy tells me that such a law will one day come into operation and christians will be beheaded for their faith in the will of God.

You have been coming here long enough to know i would love to die. I have made it quite clear in several posts, I am amazed that you only get the "feeling" now after all this time when my desire should have been as clear as crystal.
M*W: Your desire to die for your faith is still a death wish anyway you look at it. That saddens me.

I would prefer just to be walking down the road one day and drop dead from a brain clot or some similar cause or maybe die in my sleep tonight.
M*W: How is this more honorable? Life is life, and death is death. At least you get to enjoy more stuff in life than you do in death. Death is so... final. I know you don't understand this. How you get there doesn't matter to you but only to the loved ones you leave behind.

If i did die as a victim then someone would be guilty of my death and the vengeance of God is far more terrible than any form of death that could be perpetrated on me. So i do not wish for someone to kill me for their sakes. But having said that i know it is a great honour to be persecuted and killed because of ones faith in the Will of God.
M*W: The likelihood of your being martyred for your faith is slim to none. It is more likely you would have a blood clot or heart attack. These things already kill 50% of us. Also, the likelihood of someone killing you for their own sake (robbery, assault, etc.) is statistically higher than faith-related martydom. In any event, having a wish to die is not psychologically sound.

There is honour in being killed for the reason of ones faith in God. But the Samurai like the modern jihadist suicide bombers die in the act of killing others, so they are not martyrs. They are murderers killed while carrying out their act of murder. Martyrs never seek to kill others.
M*W: You're thinking along the lines of the suicide bombers! In fact, you are a terrorist if only to yourself! If there were a god, you've pretty much convinced me that your god is a bloodthirsty one, and I wouldn't want to believe in such a terrorist!

But the ones who made such a law would have an eternal problem. And the people who heeded such a law and started killing Christians would have an eternal problem. The ones who would suffer the most out of such a law would be the founders and the upholders of that law.
M*W: You believe that the bad guys would have an "eternal problem," and you know what? They believe that of christians, too! The reality of it is, you're both wrong, but you're both willing to die as martyrs. How sad. Thanks, but I'll put my money on another heart attack.

PS Prophecy tells me that such a law will one day come into operation and christians will be beheaded for their faith in the will of God.
M*W: Oh, the pathos you believe in! That's just not normal. Not only do you have desire for martyrdom (this is el sicko), the terrorist god you believe in is a bloodthirsty bastard! Uh, but who cares? He doesn't exist anywhere but in your head. IMO, it's not my problemo.

Sorry, but I go through life thinking about other things. It's not part of my mental make-up to think about dying. I accept it and I'm quite prepared for its eventuality. I'm not naive to think people don't ponder it every day but in your case I find no logic to your reasoning.

You resemble your god. The occupation with death you share with Him is remarkable. Violent death seems to be a particular obsession you both share. I can picture you at God's side, urging Him on to put the sword to every last one of us who didn't understand God the way you did. You'll watch from Heaven and smile with glee when God chucks them into this lake of fire you seem to love so much.

It's macabre. It's Himmleresque. It's the final solution. It's sick. But most of all it's funny as hell.

I think you really want to die so you can say to the rest of us as we go to hell that, 'I told you so' :shrug:

M*W: Your desire to die for your faith is still a death wish anyway you look at it. That saddens me.

I never said i wished to die for my faith. But that it was an hounor. What i said is that i simply wish to die. I simply said i wished to die and that i would prefer to die suddenly or in my sleep.

M*W: How is this more honorable? Life is life, and death is death. At least you get to enjoy more stuff in life than you do in death. Death is so... final. I know you don't understand this. How you get there doesn't matter to you but only to the loved ones you leave behind.

Well that’s the difference between a believer in God and an athiest. We do not see dead as final/the end. If i had young children then my attitude would be different. I would like to stay alive to support them until such time as they can support themselves. Once thing is true however each and every person who loves another people will mourn their departure. So if the departure is tomorrow or if it is in 60 years times makes no difference. People will come to know the sadness of loss.

M*W: The likelihood of your being martyred for your faith is slim to none. It is more likely you would have a blood clot or heart attack. These things already kill 50% of us. Also, the likelihood of someone killing you for their own sake (robbery, assault, etc.) is statistically higher than faith-related martydom. In any event, having a wish to die is not psychologically sound.

Why? If you know there is something far better on the other side of death and this world is not a nice place for you, then wishing for death is logical.

M*W: You're thinking along the lines of the suicide bombers! In fact, you are a terrorist if only to yourself! If there were a god, you've pretty much convinced me that your god is a bloodthirsty one, and I wouldn't want to believe in such a terrorist!

That’s just a rant MW, Bit of irrational emotional sprinkling to make you feel better, but in the end your view is distorted because you do not believe in God and eternal life.

M*W: You believe that the bad guys would have an "eternal problem," and you know what? They believe that of christians, too! The reality of it is, you're both wrong, but you're both willing to die as martyrs. How sad. Thanks, but I'll put my money on another heart attack.

As i said, their martyrdom includes carrying out massacres on a grand scale. My martyrdom includes no killing of others but simply allowing oneself to be killed.

M*W: Oh, the pathos you believe in! That's just not normal. Not only do you have desire for martyrdom (this is el sicko), the terrorist god you believe in is a bloodthirsty bastard! Uh, but who cares? He doesn't exist anywhere but in your head. IMO, it's not my problemo.

hummm :eek: Being normal is an evil world is an abhorrent concept. Being just like the rest and allowing oneself to be used by evil authorities is abhorrent to me. Your a former Vietnam nurse, you where used to support napalming of innocents, you think that is good and patriotic. Who is the distorted one here?

Adstar,

Can you leave me a few dollars in your will ? Meantime you might be interested i reading what Freud had to say about the death wish. I am not endorsing Freud, merely suggest ing that you might find him interesting.

Back