Annoying words...

You must also be a normie:)

I think the CIS libel had to be an intentional dig. Many gay males refer to themselves as "sissies" and now the best that one can come up with for a straight guy is CIS?
Never heard 'normie.'
Sound like a pet name for Norman.

You are right, we could be here for days but we've been here for years so, no worries.:)

"No worries" was initially, I think, a common Australian thing that has caught on a bit here.

There is a written phrase that is a little annoying and I do find myself using it from time to time but even I find it to be a little too common or "sassy" and that is to end a sentence with "...not so much".

"I like broccoli, eggplant...not so much".

I do find it to be usual when someone uses the same phrase over and over in every post such as "to the one...to the other..." or "ya know" or "it reminds me of the joke, well nevermind". How can you use these same "crutches" over and over in every post? It works for Rodney Dangerfield in a comedy routine "I get no respect (over and over) but anywhere else...not so much":)

On the other hand :) there is one meaningless phrase, I guess, that should annoy me but doesn't and I use it where appropriate and it actually does have meaning, IMO..."it is what it is".
Regarding “ya”, I have found it is something that creeps into the dialogue from a certain type of American when he starts to get angry. Often it goes along with a sort of passive-aggressive accentuation of a supposedly practical, in-touch-with-real-life, down home background, as if someone who has just cut down a tree in his “yard”, or who has spent the week mending a fence, can’t be wrong about climate change or whatever it may be.

Regarding “ya”, I have found it is something that creeps into the dialogue from a certain type of American when he starts to get angry. Often it goes along with a sort of passive-aggressive accentuation of a supposedly practical, in-touch-with-real-life, down home background, as if someone who has just cut down a tree in his “yard”, or who has spent the week mending a fence, can’t be wrong about climate change or whatever it may be.
Interesting and how would you also interprete "Yep" and "Nope" as answers?

A couple of political ones.

Mansplaining and Islamaphobia.
Actually I think mansplaining has its place in the vocabulary. Women really do find it annoying to be patronised, especially when the bloke doing it knows less about the subject than he thinks, or than they do, which is often the case. The problem is its overuse, as a sisterhood stick to beat men over the head with arbitrarily, as one finds for instance in comment pieces in the Guardian.

Last edited:
Actually I think mansplaining has its place in the vocabulary. Women really do find it annoying to be patronised, especially when the bloke doing it knows less about the subject than he thinks, or than they do, which is often the case. The problem is its overuse, as a sisterhood stick to beat men over the head with arbitrarily, as one finds for example in comment pieces in the Guardian.

“Of course” - Now, I should say that I use this, but as it’s intended. lol I have a friend who says “of course,” almost as a substitute for the word “yes.” Ugh, it’s too much sometimes. I use it for emphasis as in someone asking me if I’m sure about something after saying yes, “of course I am.”
I overuse "of course" in writing (not in speech) - especially on this forum. It's something I'm aware of, and I'm trying to stop, of course.

The same problem is evident when people write "Obviously,..."

One should be aware that what is obvious to oneself is not necessarily obvious to other people. That B of course follows from A is not something that is necessarily obvious to other people. They don't have access to one's inner thought processes, or to all of one's experience or learning or knowledge. So, it is probably best not to assume that they will think the same way.

A piece of advice about writing that I always recall when I find myself writing "Of course, ..." or "Obviously ..." is "Assume that nothing is obvious to your reader until you make it so".

It's really easy to assume that readers will be able to make the same links and draw the same conclusions you already have, but that's often not what happens in practice if you don't spell it out. Certain people require more spelling it out than others, of course.

I don't use "of course" very often, I don't think. I am more prone to "obviously" though.

Actually I think mansplaining has its place in the vocabulary. Women really do find it annoying to be patronised, especially when the bloke doing it knows less about the subject than he thinks, or than they do, which is often the case. The problem is its overuse, as a sisterhood stick to beat men over the head with arbitrarily, as one finds for instance in comment pieces in the Guardian.
No one likes being patronized I accept that.
What I do not like is where the word is employed to shut the conversation down.
I would not call someone a feminazi because she made a good point.

I don't use "of course" very often, I don't think. I am more prone to "obviously" though.
Footballers like "Obviously."

Usually out of context or as an unnecessary add on, probably because it sounds intelligent because it is more than one syllable .

I heard someone say holy acetimetiphen once. I liked it the first time, then the next 5 or so. After that it took on a very different role in my life and psyche. Have you ever heard a 58 year old woman say "Holy acetimetiphen" with an addition of "batman"?

I bet that would be funny.

I heard someone say holy acetimetiphen once. I liked it the first time, then the next 5 or so. After that it took on a very different role in my life and psyche. Have you ever heard a 58 year old woman say "Holy acetimetiphen" with an addition of "batman"?

I bet that would be funny.
acetaminophen

Back