Annoying words...

Most people these days miss the point of rhyming slang.

The original point was to make it difficult or impossible to understand certain conversations, if you weren't 'in' on the secret.

Properly used, one never uses the rhyming part of the slang - only the non-rhyming part.

So, for example, if you want to talk about your feet, you talk about your "plates" instead: "Being made to stand around all day is hard on the old plates."

Anybody doesn't know that "plates" refers to "plates of meat" (which is the rhyming slang for "feet") will be confused about what you might be referring to.

Too often these days, when people talk about rhyming slang, they immediately give the game away by immediately explaining whatever rhyme it is that they are using, which makes the whole exercise essentially pointless.
James I am British.

I know the history, I know the purpose, I just hate it it.

Cockney rhyming slang, all of it.
You're taking the Mickey, surely? I mean, I don't want to rabbit on but, getting down to brass tacks, if you use your loaf and have a butchers at this, then you might realise you use Cockney rhyming slang (CRS) without realising. Unless you're telling porkies, that is? ;)

Anyhoo - don't want to be a berk, but I've got to scarper, as it feels I've been on here for donkeys and work is calling (I've got an important presentation and I don't want to bottle it!). Plus I left my dog on his tod, and he's likely stinking the house out with raspberries by now. :D

All perfectly normal English. ;)

You're taking the Mickey, surely? I mean, I don't want to rabbit on but, getting down to brass tacks, if you use your loaf and have a butchers at this, then you might realise you use Cockney rhyming slang (CRS) without realising. Unless you're telling porkies, that is? ;)

Anyhoo - don't want to be a berk, but I've got to scarper, as it feels I've been on here for donkeys and work is calling (I've got an important presentation and I don't want to bottle it!). Plus I left my dog on his tod, and he's likely stinking the house out with raspberries by now. :D

All perfectly normal English. ;)

Holy cow.

I feel violated.

A lot of stuff that people from Liverpool say.

One example because I want this thread to remain civil.

"Lecky" for electricity. If that does not make you mad then nothing will.

A lot of stuff that people from Liverpool say.

One example because I want this thread to remain civil.

"Lecky" for electricity. If that does not make you mad then nothing will.

Don't the Australians (some of them) do that kind of thing as well? "I've got my sunnies on" (sunglasses) or "It's time for brekkie" (breakfast).

Another category of annoying is stupid jokes that a few individuals must think are funny because the same person says the same thing every time you see them. I guess it's a form of "dad jokes".

"Hi Wegs, are you working hard or hardly working?" Har har har

For someone that is standing there with their hands in their pockets you say "I see you have the Boeing (insert local company) work gloves on" Har har har

There was a very experienced (rock) climber who went to "my" climbing gym. He said hello occasionally when I first started going there but after I had been going for several years he started asking me to climb with him sometimes when my climbing buddy hadn't arrived yet.

He would look me in the eye, smile and say "So, you like this climbing thing, huh!" OK, it's kind of an unoriginal thing to say but some people are a little socially awkward and his point, of course, was to acknowledge that I stuck with it and had become a pretty good climber. Fine, thanks for the comment...

However, until he moved to another city a few years later, every time he saw me he would say the same thing. He was being friendly but apparently he just didn't have the ability to vary his conversation.:)

Don't the Australians (some of them) do that kind of thing as well? "I've got my sunnies on" (sunglasses) or "It's time for brekkie" (breakfast).
I like Australians.

They seem to be happy and gave the UK lots of soap operas.
Their language is quirky and sunny.

It is different with a strong Liverpool accent. It could be just a Mancunian thing.

I have to try and love them, they gave us the Beatles and most importantly, Cilla Black.

just once, when at conference, I would like someone to say
"And, now, a person who needs no introduction", and then(saying no more), turn smartly to his/her left(or right) and march off the stage.

we never retreat
we do, however,
occasionally, advance to the rear with all due haste

Two more that I find annoying, "normies. and "cis gender". Normies can apply to any larger outside group. People who don't understand Bitcoin may be called normies,

Cis gender of course refers to someone who identifies with the gender that is the same as the sex they were born with. I'm sure no straight guy chose that label for themselves,

Two more that I find annoying, "normies. and "cis gender". Normies can apply to any larger outside group. People who don't understand Bitcoin may be called normies,

Cis gender of course refers to someone who identifies with the gender that is the same as the sex they were born with. I'm sure no straight guy chose that label for themselves,
That drives me nuts.

Gay, that's fine. Trans and now you are not your gender at birth, fine.

I'm a straight male, no biggie. I'm not a CIS male. I have never used the term for myself or anyone else so don't use it on me.

It is weird that the people driving this want us to use the preferred pronouns for Trans people but then call me what they want to.

That drives me nuts.

I'm a straight male, no biggie. I'm not a CIS male. I have never used the term for myself or anyone else so don't use it on me.

It is weird that the people driving this want us to use the preferred pronouns for Trans people but then call me what they want to.
You must also be a normie:)

I think the CIS libel had to be an intentional dig. Many gay males refer to themselves as "sissies" and now the best that one can come up with for a straight guy is CIS?

That drives me nuts.

Agreed. A male is a male and a trans person who has chosen to become male is, well, a trans male, because it is they who is the odd one out.

By the way, the partner of a daughter of a friend of mine decided, after the birth of their child, that he was going to be a trans woman. How this doesn’t do her head in I do not know. Far from having the hormone treatment and the op, he (and I use the term advisedly) has just made her pregnant with a second child. So basically I think he’s just a tranny.

There’s a lot of sanctimonious bullshit and pervery around this subject in my opinion. I’m very much with J K Rowling about it all.

You must also be a normie:)

I think the CIS libel had to be an intentional dig. Many gay males refer to themselves as "sissies" and now the best that one can come up with for a straight guy is CIS?
It is done to promote a false sense of equivalence, I think, the idea being it is just as normal to be trans as “cis”. But it bloody isn’t.

Another category of annoying is stupid jokes that a few individuals must think are funny because the same person says the same thing every time you see them. I guess it's a form of "dad jokes".

"Hi Wegs, are you working hard or hardly working?" Har har har

For someone that is standing there with their hands in their pockets you say "I see you have the Boeing (insert local company) work gloves on" Har har har

There was a very experienced (rock) climber who went to "my" climbing gym. He said hello occasionally when I first started going there but after I had been going for several years he started asking me to climb with him sometimes when my climbing buddy hadn't arrived yet.

He would look me in the eye, smile and say "So, you like this climbing thing, huh!" OK, it's kind of an unoriginal thing to say but some people are a little socially awkward and his point, of course, was to acknowledge that I stuck with it and had become a pretty good climber. Fine, thanks for the comment...

However, until he moved to another city a few years later, every time he saw me he would say the same thing. He was being friendly but apparently he just didn't have the ability to vary his conversation.:)
Lol! We could be here for days listing the annoying corporate jokes, alone. :rolleyes:

“Of course” - Now, I should say that I use this, but as it’s intended. lol I have a friend who says “of course,” almost as a substitute for the word “yes.” Ugh, it’s too much sometimes. I use it for emphasis as in someone asking me if I’m sure about something after saying yes, “of course I am.”

“No worries” - I use this too but sparingly. I’ve heard it often misused as a response to rude behavior. “Hey, sorry, I know I’m two hours late, again.” “No worries.” I feel it can be used in a passive-aggressive way to avoid conflict.

Last edited:
Lol! We could be here for days listing the annoying corporate jokes, alone. :rolleyes:

“Of course” - Now, I should say that I use this, but as it’s intended. lol I have a friend who says “of course,” almost as a substitute for the word “yes.” Ugh, it’s too much sometimes. I use it for emphasis as in someone asking me if I’m sure about something after saying yes, “of course I am.”

“No worries” - I use this too but sparingly. I’ve heard it often misused as a response to rude behavior. “Hey, sorry, I know I’m two hours late, again.” “No worries.” I feel it can be used in a passive-aggressive way to avoid conflict.
You are right, we could be here for days but we've been here for years so, no worries.:)

"No worries" was initially, I think, a common Australian thing that has caught on a bit here.

There is a written phrase that is a little annoying and I do find myself using it from time to time but even I find it to be a little too common or "sassy" and that is to end a sentence with "...not so much".

"I like broccoli, eggplant...not so much".

I do find it to be usual when someone uses the same phrase over and over in every post such as "to the one...to the other..." or "ya know" or "it reminds me of the joke, well nevermind". How can you use these same "crutches" over and over in every post? It works for Rodney Dangerfield in a comedy routine "I get no respect (over and over) but anywhere else...not so much":)

On the other hand :) there is one meaningless phrase, I guess, that should annoy me but doesn't and I use it where appropriate and it actually does have meaning, IMO..."it is what it is".

Back