All homosexuals should be stoned to death, says Muslim preacher

Norsefire:

Looks like you've been sucked into the belief that things like efficiency, productivity and technology are the only things that make a civilisation "superior". Personally, I'd say social factors are much more important.
But they are too vague and there are too many different kinds of social systems, and I do not feel that you can measure civility based on social factors because they are too subjective, that's why we usually measure the progress of a nation by things like infrastructure and productivity instead of culture. Who's culture is better? What social system should we use? Sharia? Or perhaps tribal law? Or perhaps something else altogether?

That's the question nobody can answer, and that's why such factors are irrelevant to measuring civilization.

Yes. It's happening all over the world right now.
You're saying that "good" is important even if it cannot be enforced, correct?

I don't see how that is true at all. I'll address this further in the next bit
You don't need enforcement if people agree to obey the law, which the vast majority of people do.
True, but that's if people agree to obey the law. Not everybody will agree, thus without a measure of enforcement your law and order is very unstable.

That is why the law really only matters because we can enforce it. If we couldn't, even though people could still obey the law, they don't have to. And then the law is reduced to nothing.

No. People agree what is right and wrong, by and large.
I completely agree and in fact I am glad by how you worded it, "people agree", as in, nobody is "right" but people have opinions and they come together and agree in order to establish society.

And as such, the Saudi people have agreed that they want their civilization to be a "purer" civilization that functions in a specific way. People who do not want to participate, for instance don't want to pay their taxes.....or want to be gay, don't have to participate in that society.

As you might say. However we must also address law: in Saudi Arabia it is illegal to be a homosexual. Therefore although you might disagree with that, the law is the law and they enforce it. Therefore they are not uncivilized.

No. Broad agreement is good enough. We don't have to consider the happiness of the sadists (at least as it pertains to committing sadistic acts).
Again I agree and I am glad that you worded it as such. By the same token, the Nazi society did not have to consider the happiness of the Jews or undesirables (the criminals, in their eyes)

And I don't bring up that example to make you look bad; in fact, I bring it up because it is truth and I want you to understand, wrong is only wrong if people agree that it is wrong, and right is right when people agree that it is right.

How much "progress" did Hitler achieve? He destroyed his own nation.
True but certain things he did were progressive. Eugenics, for example, is an objective good (at least I think this is something you might say); it's for the "greater good"

Also, he gave greater structure and rigidity to society.

We've done this before. People agree that morality exists. It is a colllective thing, not just an individual subjective thing.

I'm not disagreeing with you. I only did disagree because this isn't how you worded it last time you said it; last time, you worded it as though your specific morality was somehow a fact.

Although now that you word it this way, I agree; people agree on what is moral. And that means that all it takes for morality is the agreement of people, but that's a given and quite obvious.

Norsefire:

But they are too vague and there are too many different kinds of social systems, and I do not feel that you can measure civility based on social factors because they are too subjective, that's why we usually measure the progress of a nation by things like infrastructure and productivity instead of culture.

Nonsense. Countries are often measured and compared on the basis of things like their support for and implementation of basic human rights. Observe criticisms of China or Stalin's Soviet Union or North Korea. There's universal agreement on the extent to which these countries implement basic human rights.

Who's culture is better? What social system should we use? Sharia? Or perhaps tribal law? Or perhaps something else altogether?

We ought to use the social system that respects human rights. that respects the autonomy of the individual, that allows reasonable freedoms of speech, religion and the like. You're supposed to be a big one for individual choice, aren't you?

You're saying that "good" is important even if it cannot be enforced, correct?

Absolutely. Nothing could be more important in human relations.

You don't need enforcement if people agree to obey the law, which the vast majority of people do.

True, but that's if people agree to obey the law. Not everybody will agree, thus without a measure of enforcement your law and order is very unstable.

Some measure of reasonable enforcement is desirable, certainly. But that's not the basis of law.

I completely agree and in fact I am glad by how you worded it, "people agree", as in, nobody is "right" but people have opinions and they come together and agree in order to establish society.

It depends what you mean by "right", here. If you mean "nobody is moral", then some people are more moral than others. If you mean "nobody has a monopoly on truth" then I don't disagree with you.

And as such, the Saudi people have agreed that they want their civilization to be a "purer" civilization that functions in a specific way.

Last time I looked, Saudi Arabia was not a democracy. Has something changed?

People who do not want to participate, for instance don't want to pay their taxes.....or want to be gay, don't have to participate in that society.

Often, people are constrained by their economic and social circumstances, so they don't have the freedom of choice and action that you imagine they have.

As you might say. However we must also address law: in Saudi Arabia it is illegal to be a homosexual. Therefore although you might disagree with that, the law is the law and they enforce it. Therefore they are not uncivilized.

Your last sentence here is a non sequitur. It does not follow from the other sentences at all.

By the same token, the Nazi society did not have to consider the happiness of the Jews or undesirables (the criminals, in their eyes)

Genocide is never morally acceptable. No righteous person supports genocide.

And I don't bring up that example to make you look bad; in fact, I bring it up because it is truth and I want you to understand, wrong is only wrong if people agree that it is wrong, and right is right when people agree that it is right.

It depends who you mean by "people". If I can find a warped individual who thinks torturing people is fun and good, or even a group of such warped individuals, that will never make torturing people right.

Eugenics, for example, is an objective good (at least I think this is something you might say); it's for the "greater good"

This is a discussion for another thread. I'm not at all convinced that eugenics is necessarily good.

Also, he gave greater structure and rigidity to society.

Why do you think a rigid society is good? Some of the most creative and productive societies are also the least rigid ones.

I'm not disagreeing with you. I only did disagree because this isn't how you worded it last time you said it; last time, you worded it as though your specific morality was somehow a fact.

My specific morality is a fact. I, for one, really do hold my views.

Although now that you word it this way, I agree; people agree on what is moral. And that means that all it takes for morality is the agreement of people, but that's a given and quite obvious.

You still haven't moved far from "might is right". It is possible for the majority to be morally mistaken or morally bankrupt. Majority rule (the "might" of the majority) is not by any means all there is to morality.

People agree that morality exists. It is a colllective thing, not just an individual subjective thing.

No we don't and it isn't a thing at all. Its an ongoing discussion about what behaviors we like, both individually and in social groups, and which we don't.

No we don't and it isn't a thing at all. Its an ongoing discussion about what behaviors we like, both individually and in social groups, and which we don't.

An ongoing discussion is not a thing? :shrug:

During times of change you'll get more and more of these people. Hell, Gay sex is now decriminalised in India . The world is changing and it isn't in the direction these wacko preacher types would like to see. But there isn't a God Damn thing they can do about it. The world is becoming more liberal, more secular and more open. They can't stand it.

Michael, first of all this picture which you posted (which has no relation to the topic at hand btw) is photoshoped. It's rather obvious, and this thing is punishable by death in Iran.

Also, there no hadith which allows sodomy or other perverse things, Bukhari and Muslim declare that only a relationship between a man and woman are allowed in the institution of marriage only. There is an entire chapter discussing the rulings. I suggest you read it yourself.

The boy's hand in his; the tassels from the old guy's clothes falling over the boy's arm.... doesn't look photoshopped to me. And I've analyzed a few photos, pointing out joining/merging errors, inconsistent shadows/lighting, etc. Please, offer us your methodology of analysis which demonstrates the photo is "rather obvious" in its "photoshoped" (sic) nature.

And clearly it isn't punishable by death. The old-guy is still alive.

A Little background information for those not living in Britain.

In the UK we have a relatively free press.
It is the last bastion of freedom in a country which is becoming increasingly Orwellian.

The only thing which has kept the British Press free from Government control is, ironically, an anti-Democratic influence over Government elections. Any Government that tried to curtail their power would be subject to Press attacks of such destructiveness that they would be unelectable.

The Daily Mail, from which this report comes, is a "Little Englander" newspaper.
It keeps up it's circulation with stories of :

Homeless beggars earning a thousand pounds a week
Dole scroungers with twenty children and five wives living in castles
A Britain overrun with semi-criminal illegal immigrants
Communities of plotting Islamists, ready to take over Britain

People like me pick up the Mail with the same expectations as when preparing to read an eight year old's comic.

Nevertheless, as the quote goes, though I disagree with most of what they say, I would defend with my life their right to say it.

Long live the free British Press, even the Daily Mail.

Last edited:
Norsefire:
Nonsense. Countries are often measured and compared on the basis of things like their support for and implementation of basic human rights. Observe criticisms of China or Stalin's Soviet Union or North Korea. There's universal agreement on the extent to which these countries implement basic human rights.
The problem, however, is that while human rights violations can be said to be objective, there is still a level of perception that renders it difficult to really measure these kinds of things.

For instance, if we state that murder and genocide are human rights violations, then OK. However murder, in its very definition is the wrongful taking of a life. Thus not all killing is murder; as for genocide, not everybody views it as murder; they might view it as a necessary, justified "extermination" as, for instance, Hitler did.

Thus we must draw an arbitrary distinction; is all killing murder? Most people don't think so, for instance self defense and death penalty are justified but some killing IS murder.

We ought to use the social system that respects human rights. that respects the autonomy of the individual, that allows reasonable freedoms of speech, religion and the like. You're supposed to be a big one for individual choice, aren't you?
Yes but that is because my priority, and apparantly yours, is individual happiness; thus we would use that system if that was our priority, which it happens to be for many people.

If our priority, though, is machine-efficiency in order to achieve a certain collective goal, then there are better systems to use, like for instance fascism. Not everybody prioritizes freedom and tolerance; some people prioritize culture and tradition, and this is why, for instance like the cleric, their morality is different, as it doesn't find the stoning of homosexuals wrong because his priority is the protection of tradition which is apparantly what he does by stoning homosexuals.

Absolutely. Nothing could be more important in human relations.
Although when there is "evil", and no enforcement to stop it, what does your morality do? Morality did not stop Hitler (in fact, in his eyes, it spurred him on); morality doesn't stop rapists and murderers every day. The police do.

Some measure of reasonable enforcement is desirable, certainly. But that's not the basis of law.
But without it the law is too unstable, and ultimately useless as it can be easily reduced to nothing.

Eliminating the state is as easy as disregarding it.

It depends what you mean by "right", here. If you mean "nobody is moral", then some people are more moral than others.
Depending on your priority, yes.

If you mean "nobody has a monopoly on truth" then I don't disagree with you.
Then what can be said is this: it depends on the priority of the individual. Nothing is immoral and all is moral, potentially speaking, depending on your priority. I can safely say that, for most people their priorities are either

freedom
or
culture/tradition

Now you can have both, I'm not saying you can't; but some people might believe restrictions in freedom are justified in the name of tradition.

And thus we have the more liberal/libertarian and conservative/fundamentalist divide. Neither is necessarily wrong, but they aren't focused on the same things. And this is the case with the cleric: you think what he proposes is immoral, and so do I, but then again our focus isn't the protection of tradition and culture or "God's will", it's individual freedom.

The reason it really strikes a nerve with me when you say "idiot" is that, as you might know, I'm Syrian. Syria is very tolerant compared with other Arab nations, we have freedom of religion and no dress obligations and there's a greater level of freedom in the expression of the arts, for instance, music etc

However the culture is different there; they are good people but they are very reserved sometimes, and they frown on certain things tolerated in Western culture, but they aren't idiots for doing so; they simply have a different culture and are raised with differnet values. And I don't think they are idiots (I say they instead of we because I don't agree with them) for that.

Last time I looked, Saudi Arabia was not a democracy. Has something changed?
A government exists only if it is supported by the people, according to the social contract that you so happily propose

The continued existence of the Saudi Monarchy leads me to believe that the people legitimately recognize it as a governing body; thus the decisions it makes are legitimate law and supposedly reflective of the will and opinion of the majority of the Saudis

Often, people are constrained by their economic and social circumstances, so they don't have the freedom of choice and action that you imagine they have.
I understand. Obviously "just leaving" isn't quite that easy. My point, though, is that legislating culture and morals, while we might frown upon it in the interest of individual freedom, isn't necessarily an "incorrect" thing to do depending on the society you live in.

Genocide is never morally acceptable. No righteous person supports genocide.
This is like saying "no righteous person supports murder", which is an obvious point as murder is the wrongful taking of a life.

Although as I've pointed out, not everybody views all killing as murder, including genocide.

It depends who you mean by "people". If I can find a warped individual who thinks torturing people is fun and good, or even a group of such warped individuals, that will never make torturing people right.
Correct because in the eyes of the vast majority that dwarfs this group, it's still wrong. Although, if everybody were a "warped individual", then who is a warped individual?

This is a discussion for another thread. I'm not at all convinced that eugenics is necessarily good.
Necessarily? I see you are divided on the subject, then.

Eugenics done wisely in the interest of human health and survival is always good. In the interest of individual freedom and happiness then not really, although you aren't a complete individualist (as you are a liberal).

Why do you think a rigid society is good? Some of the most creative and productive societies are also the least rigid ones.
Yes, that's called capitalism.

If your priority is the collective machine, though, then rigidity is a must and is "good"; that's why fascism isn't necessarily bad, it's just focused on different things.

My specific morality is a fact. I, for one, really do hold my views.
This isn't what I meant. I mean, you spoke as if your morality was somehow truth.

You still haven't moved far from "might is right". It is possible for the majority to be morally mistaken or morally bankrupt. Majority rule (the "might" of the majority) is not by any means all there is to morality.
But then, how do you demonstrate it? All there is to morality is the agreement of people because there is no alternative. I mean, sure you could say that, but honestly if a thousand people thought something was right versus one that thought something was wrong, then what good can they do? They can't demonstrate their position to even be true.

Does anyone think that the sort of rabid, ignorant, bigoted hatred mentioned in the OP will finally die out, or are we stuck with it as long as human kind exists? I mean, what does it take to get rid of these kind of thought patterns?
As I understand it the most popular solution it to stone such people to death, but it does tend to generate certain circular contradictions.

As I understand it the most popular solution it to stone such people to death, but it does tend to generate certain circular contradictions.

We're assuming hate and intolerance are inherently bad. Although there is no reason to hate homosexuals, there's plenty reason to hate other kinds of people and ultimately hate is hate no matter how we attempt to rationalize it.

You may be assuming that. I have arrived at that conclusion through careful consideration of the evidence. No assumptions are involved.

How can you have evidence for such a thing?

Hate and intolerance are emotions, they're neither good nor bad. It depends on the circumstance and on your own personal outlook on life's priorities.

A Little background information for those not living in Britain.

In the UK we have a relatively free press.
It is the last bastion of freedom in a country which is becoming increasingly Orwellian.

The only thing which has kept the British Press free from Government control is, ironically, an anti-Democratic influence over Government elections. Any Government that tried to curtail their power would be subject to Press attacks of such destructiveness that they would be unelectable.

The Daily Mail, from which this report comes, is a "Little Englander" newspaper.
It keeps up it's circulation with stories of :

Homeless beggars earning a thousand pounds a week
Dole scroungers with twenty children and five wives living in castles
A Britain overrun with semi-criminal illegal immigrants
Communities of plotting Islamists, ready to take over Britain

People like me pick up the Mail with the same expectations as when preparing to read an eight year old's comic.

Nevertheless, as the quote goes, though I disagree with most of what they say, I would defend with my life their right to say it.

Long live the free British Press, even the Daily Mail.

Because it's from The Daily Mail, it's false?

We're assuming hate and intolerance are inherently bad. Although there is no reason to hate homosexuals, there's plenty reason to hate other kinds of people and ultimately hate is hate no matter how we attempt to rationalize it.

There's no good reason to hate anyone.

Hate and intolerance are emotions, they're neither good nor bad. It depends on the circumstance and on your own personal outlook on life's priorities.

Hate & intolerance have obvious negative effects on the person feeling the emotions & acting on them & obvious negative effects on the people they're directed at & on society.

Intolerance has a negative effect on society, so it can be viewed as objectively bad. People want to be free. It's genetic. Whether they want to worship their god or gods freely, or worship none at all, or simply to sing and dance or access the internet, people want freedom.

Yes, there needs to be order. Rules and laws are in place, and those themselves can be viewed as subjective, at least to some extent. But there are fundamental truths to human existence, and one of them is that civilization, at the very least strives to achieve levels of freedom and comfort.

;)
tngod-hates.jpg

By paying attention to research in psychology, evolutionary biology, primate behaviour, ethology, etc.

It is evident that cooperation is an important facet of life, acting at all levels, from the molecular, to the ecological, and at all times, from abiogenesis, through to the development of human culture.

Hate is a disruptive and damaging distortion of various aspects of self/tribe preservation 'instincts'. Hate interferes with effective and efficient cooperation, harming the individual, the group and society at large.

Intolerance is not an emotion, but an exagerated expression of the otherwise justifiable caution one feels when encountering the unfamiliar.

In short, I have no idea where you dig your ideas up from, but they have less basis in reality than most fairy tales and run counter to a very sizeable body of research and established knowledge.

-=-

Very well said
yet I don't see a very sizeable body of research and established knowledge required to know such. All that's needed is to look around & apply some logic to what 1 sees happening.

yet I don't see a very sizeable body of research and established knowledge required to know such. All that's needed is to look around & apply some logic to what 1 sees happening.
I agree that this is true, but since this is the science forum - even if it is the religion section - I thought some reference to research material was appropriate. If Norsefire asks for specifics I shall offer him this:
101 Independence Ave, SE
Washington, DC 20540

Back