A Request Directed to Sciforums' "Atheists"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry for that, just having a very bad personal time at the moment. I wish I had a God to appeal to... Wishing seriously bad things would happen to a certain someone at the moment. (Nothing to do with this forum) I know this is wrong but I have no idea how I know it's wrong. What does wrong mean, anyway? Darkness...

Seriously, just in a bad place, but I stand by my answer, laughable or not... Empathy, pathos, Golden Rule, whatever. Easy to proclaim, not always easy to subscribe...

I Would Be Embarrassed, Too, If I Was You

Trooper said:

I would be too embarrassed for anyone to know that I post here.

How interesting.

I wouldn't mention it or provide a link to Sciforums, did you?

I didn't feel like siccing the whole of the internet on one guy for asking the stupidest question I've ever heard in the abortion debate. I mean, really, talk about excess. It's enough to make the point about how ridiculous the anti-abortion argument has become.

To the other, why mine the site at all, then? Get a bot to do it for you. And then after while, when enough complaints about the bot come in, your hosting service will shut you down. You'd be amazed at how much that goes on. It took WordPress a couple of years to figure out what to do about that; I haven't gotten a repost notice in months, which is fine with me.

Your argument exhibits a detachment of action from purpose.

Well, there’s nothing left to say. You made a couple of valid points. The atheist movement needs more support groups and the term "developmentally impaired person" is more politically correct. Does everyone understand that? From now on use only this term when dealing with a religious person.

Well done, hotshot.

Well, at least we know why you would be embarrassed if anyone knew you posted here.

I would be embarrassed, too. And also if I made your sort of sloppy demands. You know, like, "Where? Do you have a link?"

And, see, here's the problem with your inquiry:

(1) You have accused misrepresentation of context.

(2) This would suggest that you actually read the discussion you are attempting to characterize.

(3) The answer to your question is that it is in that thread, generally, and is the centerpiece of the Turducken inquiry.​

Thus:

Capracus to Kittamaru: Here’s my beef with Bells in a nutshell. She defends Tiassa’s assertion that personhood begins when the umbilical cord of a delivered fetus is severed.

Bells to Capracus: "The dry foot policy works as thus ...."

Bells to Capracus: "My dry foot policy ...."​

Think about it for a moment. You claim Capracus was misrepresented? Okay, well, that means you must have read the discussion you're making claims about. Which is why you need to ask for links to what you've supposedly already read?

Dryfoot is a pretty obvious line in the sand. So, come now, how did you miss it?

To the one…
Tiassa said:
I'm not sure where the rule came from.

Maybe you’re right. It could have been due to a misrepresentation. And you misrepresented his intention. You did.

Capracus said:
Then please clarify for me. Is it your position that abortion should be unrestricted as to reason up to full term? Or do you impose limitation during late term?

Bells said:
I am not going to discuss or apply something that cannot happen in reality because you want to delve once again into fantasy land. I have said this so many times now and you still keep asking me the same question. Abortion is not unrestricted up to full term, in other words, a woman cannot get an abortion at full term if the foetus is healthy. So your repeatedly asking me this question is based on a non-event - ie, it cannot happen. So why do you keep asking me this same question repeatedly when I have answered it repeatedly?

"I've never understood the female capacity to avoid a direct answer to any question."—Spock

Of course, I read it. I just wanted to see how long you’d search to prove a point. Dry foot policy, eh? Wow! Just WOW! Talk about being short on sentiments.

To the other…(that's annoying, BTW.)

Claims that have no supporting evidence at all should be rejected as arbitrary. Rejecting arbitrary propositions is rational.

Atheism may be slow to move because it is short on sentiments, but atheism is reasonable, and apprehends reality as it is.

"Where there is no emotion, there is no motive for violence."—Spock

Tell it to the fat man.

Randwolf is right, though. I’m not a Vulcan but the ability to understand and share the feelings of another is important. Sometimes, I think that feelings trump reason. Therefore, Ethos, Pathos, and Logos are all useful tools.

My fellow atheists let not many of you become teachers, knowing that we shall receive a stricter judgment. :D

Good day to you, Tiassa.

So, if the baby has dry feet it lives, wet feet it dies.
That explains why babies in an incubator can't be killed.
Dry feet.

Then you clearly misunderstood my posts. I did not misrepresent his question. I laughed at it because it was possibly one of the most stupid things I have seen come out of the abortion debate. Would you like to know the reasons why I refuse and continue to refuse to take it seriously and why his question has no basis in anything that one could attribute to morality?

Would you like to know the reasons why I refuse and continue to refuse to take it seriously and why his question has no basis in anything that one could attribute to morality?

1) He asked a what if question which would have amounted to stuffing a born baby back into the mother.. In other words, his question cannot possibly be based on reality. It would have been just as plausible and would have deserved the same merit if he had asked what if the mother's vagina opened up into a gaping cavern and her "baby" walked out fully grown.
In other words she and her neighbor are compelled to sensationalize hyperbole and frame it as realism rather than deal with its associated moral implications. Nothing laughable about that.

Where? Do you have a link?

Since you have already determined that I misrepresented Capracus's comments, you should not need the link, since you would have already read the whole thread, in particular the part where this conversation took place, correct?

What stage, Bells? At what stage is taking the life of a developing fetus not morally the same as killing a person. Draw a line in the sand.
Beg yours?

If you had read the thread, you'd know exactly where that line was for me personally.

Of course, I read it. I just wanted to see how long you’d search to prove a point. Dry foot policy, eh? Wow! Just WOW! Talk about being short on sentiments.

To the other…(that's annoying, BTW.)

Claims that have no supporting evidence at all should be rejected as arbitrary. Rejecting arbitrary propositions is rational.

Atheism may be slow to move because it is short on sentiments, but atheism is reasonable, and apprehends reality as it is.
Oh I had provided links to interviews with late term abortionists, one of the very few who still practice under threats of death in the US, who advise that they would not abort a full term 'baby'. They also give great insights into why women have abortions after the 27 week marker. The greater majority were because they discovered there was something terribly wrong with "the baby", the others were denied the ability or chance to access one earlier due to the laws in their State, which literally forced them to go beyond the 24 week period, others did not find out or know of their pregnancy until it was too late and did not know the foetal age.. There were even questions from some participants in that thread who demanded to know what if a woman changes her mind about having a baby while she is in labour, can she abort it then.. And as I responded at the time, show me one doctor who would do such a thing? One who did abort full term babies is seen as a murderer, even by late term abortionists, because he was even killing babies after they were born.

Suffice to say, women don't wait until their water has broken and the baby is coming out past her cervix to demand an abortion. This does not happen in reality. Strangely enough, I would rather deal with reality in the abortion debate than have to put up with or deal with stupid and moronic questions such as 'what if you reattached the umbilical cord and stuffed it back into the womb, could she abort it then?'.. If you need a line to be drawn in the sand about that question, then you, madam, have some serious issues.

Why is it that people are incapable to allowing women control over their bodies in such a way so that they come out with such questions or even dream up such moronic scenarios? No, really, why? Is it such a hard concept to understand?

Capracus said:
In other words she and her neighbor are compelled to sensationalize hyperbole and frame it as realism rather than deal with its associated moral implications. Nothing laughable about that.
And, the man of the hour returns!

Welcome back.

As I noted at the time, I found it astounding that you would ask such a stupid question to begin with. How dare I not answer to fantasy when reality offered so much more by way of examples to discuss moral implications, eh Capracus? Tell me, where do you stand on using a woman's corpse to grow a baby to viability or even full term without her or her husband's consent? Where do you stand on turning off her life support and letting her and her now deformed baby from all the drugs they were pumping into her, die with some semblance of dignity? This sadly is a question based on reality.. Too much realism and not enough moral implications for you? Where do you think my dry foot policy stands in that regard? How about a woman who is 33 weeks pregnant and finds out her baby is dying inside her (painfully) and won't survive the childbirth? This is a real question that someone close to me had to face.. Too real? Not enough turning the woman into a psycho hoebeast who would respectfully request her doctor took her newly born baby, reattached its newly severed umbilical cord, stuffed it back into her vagina and shoved back up through her cervix and into her uterus because she's changed her mind and wants an abortion? Fantasy is always better than reality, isn't it?

Do you resort to realistic examples or even hypotheticals? Oh no, you asked 'what if the baby is born, it's umbilical cord re-attached and it stuffed back into the womb, can she abort it then?'.. On the one hand, you just killed the baby anyway, and on the other hand, you also disregard the mother's existence in turning her into the equivalent of a turkey being stuffed with various other forms of bird life and you also just murdered her too with the question. So your question is moot anyway because in coining it as you did, you also murdered the mother and her baby.

So no Capracus, she can't abort it then because she's dead and so is her baby. Do I need to explain the moral implications of what your question asked? Do you need an explanation as to why asking a question that would kill mother and baby is not based on moral foundations to begin with? Or how about no, she can't stuff it back in and abort it, work out for you? Not good enough? What? Too based on realism for your liking?

Well, this is hardly the place for this discussion, but I'm not too sure if I'm comfortable with the idea of zero restrictions. :bugeye:

"My belief that there should be no abortion restrictions is about fundamentally trusting women – trusting their choices, trusting them with their own bodies and trusting that they know what is best for them and their families."

There is absolutely no reason to restrict women's options for abortion access.

Reasons for late-term abortions (Wikipedia)

• 71% Woman didn't recognize she was pregnant or misjudged gestation
• 48% Woman found it hard to make arrangements for abortion
• 33% Woman was afraid to tell her partner or parents
• 24% Woman took time to decide to have an abortion
• 8% Woman waited for her relationship to change
• 8% Someone pressured woman not to have abortion
• 6% Something changed after woman became pregnant
• 6% Woman didn't know timing is important
• 5% Woman didn't know she could get an abortion
• 2% A fetal problem was diagnosed late in pregnancy
• 11% Other

The point being that both of you twist, twirl, and then show your little hypocritical ass. It is not pretty.

If you’re going to be the belle of the ball, you should learn how to dance.

If you want to discuss abortion, reopen the topic.

Toodles.

If you didn't wish to discuss the topic, perhaps you should not have brought it up in the first place, especially without having read the thread or the contexts in which the arguments were made and then accusing others of misrepresentations. I know, it's hard. But before you complain about something, have some idea of what you are complaining about first. You know, know the dance first...

If you didn't wish to discuss the topic, perhaps you should not have brought it up in the first place, especially without having read the thread or the contexts in which the arguments were made and then accusing others of misrepresentations. I know, it's hard. But before you complain about something, have some idea of what you are complaining about first. You know, know the dance first...

The abortion topic was brought up by your defense.

You're both hypocrites. That was my only complaint.

...Wrong. The aversion is specifically directed to the fundies and, in a narrower range of topics, the orthodox Christians. They alone are expressing the harmful forms of "hatred" -- better characterized as religious-based misanthropy, which breaks down to homophobia, xenophobia/racism, misogyny, anti-intellectualism, and damaging laissez-faire economics, to include opposition to entitlement programs and relief in general, as well as their dogged denial of climate science, science in general, and their long history of opposing environmental policies. All of the aversion to that, hateful or not, is righteous indignation over actual harm done by actual perps. As long as you conflate the two ideas (aversion to this vs. aversion to something you imagine) you are doing the same thing the psychopaths do -- blaming the victims.
Speak for yourself. My complaints aren't limited to fundamentalists, in fact I think they are the least hypocritical. My problem is with faith.

The abortion topic was brought up by your defense.

You're both hypocrites. That was my only complaint.

Your complaint was that Tiassa had used a quote from that thread on his blog and you accused us of representing him, clearly without having read the thread beforehand.. Did you want me to fall to my knees without explaining the context of that quote you were complaining about?

You are very quick to label people as hypocrites about a subject matter that you have clearly not bothered to acquaint yourself with in regards to that thread..

Or perhaps you have an explanation of why we are hypocrites because Tiassa quoted a sentence from a thread here and applied the correct context to how that sentence was uttered on this site?

Or maybe, you are just arguing for argument's sake, because you know, this is apparently the done thing in this thread?

Randwolf said:
Sorry for that, just having a very bad personal time at the moment. I wish I had a God to appeal to... Wishing seriously bad things would happen to a certain someone at the moment. (Nothing to do with this forum) I know this is wrong but I have no idea how I know it's wrong. What does wrong mean, anyway? Darkness...

Seriously, just in a bad place, but I stand by my answer, laughable or not... Empathy, pathos, Golden Rule, whatever. Easy to proclaim, not always easy to subscribe...
Sorry to hear that Randwolf. I hope whatever it is sorts itself out sooner rather than later.

And if someone does something bad to you or your loved one(s), it's normal to hate them. It isn't wrong. It's normal. Take care of yourself!

That's your reading comprehension problem; don't make it mine. What’s the correct term? Oh ya, developmentally impaired.

Meanwhile, the turn to the personal in this context is hardly unexpected.

You know how those nondescript theists can be. They think that if atheists are angry that it somehow undermines the atheist position.

I am unapologetically rejecting all supernatural claims. Failing that, Chlorpromazine.

That's your reading comprehension problem; don't make it mine. What’s the correct term? Oh ya, developmentally impaired.

You know how those nondescript theists can be. They think that if atheists are angry that it somehow undermines the atheist position.

I am unapologetically rejecting all supernatural claims. Failing that, Chlorpromazine.

You a nurse, Trooper?... Chlorpromazine... I haven't heard that in years.

In the Navy, we called it Haldol. Great shit. Someone nuts up, ya hit em with it, and they sit in a corner and drool.

Do you resort to realistic examples or even hypotheticals? Oh no, you asked 'what if the baby is born, it's umbilical cord re-attached and it stuffed back into the womb, can she abort it then?'.. On the one hand, you just killed the baby anyway, and on the other hand, you also disregard the mother's existence in turning her into the equivalent of a turkey being stuffed with various other forms of bird life and you also just murdered her too with the question. So your question is moot anyway because in coining it as you did, you also murdered the mother and her baby.
Bells, are you that averse to hyperbole that you can’t divine its intended instruction from its extreme imagery? If I’m asked to screw myself would it be reasonable for me to ignore the obvious intention and be confounded by the mechanics of the literal act? I would think not. The feigned indignation routine is as tired now as it was from the start. It needlessly derails the discussion and does nothing to address the original point of the metaphor, which was that a prenatal and postnatal fetus can have like value regardless of the arbitrary act of umbilical severance. Tone down the pretense a bit and future discussions might prove more productive.

Bells, are you that averse to hyperbole that you can’t divine its intended instruction from its extreme imagery? If I’m asked to screw myself would it be reasonable for me to ignore the obvious intention and be confounded by the mechanics of the literal act? I would think not. The feigned indignation routine is as tired now as it was from the start. It needlessly derails the discussion and does nothing to address the original point of the metaphor, which was that a prenatal and postnatal fetus can have like value regardless of the arbitrary act of umbilical severance. Tone down the pretense a bit and future discussions might prove more productive.
Oh believe me, my indignation is not feigned.

And let me assure you Capracus, the use of fantastic and frankly obscene hypotheticals that have absolutely no basis in reality derail more discussions than those based on reality or real life examples. Just sayin'.

You took something so far out of context that frankly, it was not even funny to watch. It was painful. So no, my indignation is not feigned. Consider it disgust at the willful and deliberate exclusion of the mother and the woman from the equation. I have always said that the abortion debate's biggest problem is that one side is incapable of acknowledging that the mother is involved in the equation and it is her body. So you'll understand why my indignation is not feigned when someone out of the blue takes a comment so far out of context that he turns the woman into the equivalent of a dead turkey.

Poor You

Capracus said:

It needlessly derails the discussion and does nothing to address the original point of the metaphor, which was that a prenatal and postnatal fetus can have like value regardless of the arbitrary act of umbilical severance.

Perhaps you might explain how one's personhood is rescinded. In the United States, the rights of a person are inalienable.

Your example was stupid beyond belief, and we might notice that once again the woman is absent from your consideration.

So take the Equal Protection Clause of the Fourteenth Amendment to the Constitution of the United States of America, and explain to me how we settle the issue of one person existing inside another.

In case you hadn't noticed, the community spent fifteen months on that subject, and nobody could answer that question.

The difference between pre- and post-natal is the difference between an organism living inside a person's body or outside.

"What if the umbilical cord was reattached and the baby stuffed back into the womb, would it cease to be a person?"

That newborn person would cease to be a person, generally speaking, upon its death as a result of such absurd malice.

Other than that, how does one arbitrarily rescind inalienable rights? That's a question you need to answer. Indeed, you probably should have thought of that beforehand.

Your desperate campaign against the humanity of a woman is more than a little grotesque.

I see, so your failure to read through the thread and understand the context in which the comments were made is my fault..

Good to know.

I guess I'll chalk this up as a new one in the bid to just bitch and moan and fight just for the sake of it, because it's so popular and will score you points with the 'cool kids' at the moment.

Fight on sister, fight on.

Righteous Without a Clue

Bells said:

I see, so your failure to read through the thread and understand the context in which the comments were made is my fault.

You can follow that rant?

Wow. Congratulations.

But you know, there's another interesting issue that needs to be settled. As I've suggested before, show me the doctor who would, on the request of a woman who has just pushed a "bowling ball", "boulder", "Volkswagen", or whatever other charming euphemisms we might invent, out of her vagina, choose to terminate the baby instead of cutting the cord.

We come back to Kermit Gosnell, obviously. Which makes the point: Any doctor who would do that should not be allowed to practice. Beyond that, though, notice the inherent bigotry of such misogynistic abortion fantasies ... against doctors.

The dry-foot standard is actually quite simplistic; the only complications come from those desperate to invent one. Hence that old inquiry about the woman who would abort as the baby emerges to get revenge on the father.

Whatever depraved fantasies such people want to invent in order to make some sort of question about the time between emergence and cutting the cord are nothing more than misogynistic pedantry. Note, for instance, that in Capracus' appeal to the equivalence of pre- and post-natal organisms, the mother disappears yet again. After all, to him, it's a merely a matter of location. Apparently, a woman is a place, not a person.

And notice also how the complainers expect other people to go do their digging for them. You and I can go haul up pieces of that thread to accommodate, say, Trooper's demand, but apparently she has no obligation to even read the damn discussion she chooses to characterize and complain about.

Funny thing is, part of me wants to inquire regarding how you feel about the rationality of atheism being so represented. Or maybe it's not so funny, but simply sad.

This is what I'm after, Bells. Balerion's conspiracy theories. (Q)'s abject bigotry. A massive flood of amateurish sleight and deception. Trooper's collapse into dishonest incoherence. We already know why the religious won't convert to your outlook; it's too rational, and that rationality challenges ideas and beliefs that go beyond the basic question of whether or not God exists.

But there is also the question of why the religious won't convert to other atheistic outlooks, and one of the great functional challenges there is that when people witness behavior such as so many of our neighbors have exhibited, it creates and reinforces negative associations regarding atheism, no matter how much some might try to evade such critiques.

You mentioned, some posts back, American conservatism and its connection to religion and oppression.

I need atheists—and to guard against the expected pedantry of our neighbors, let me clarify that means any individual atheist—to stop making things worse. I need them to stop making that fight harder. I recognize that some don't, but if we pause to acknowledge every "not all atheists", we effectively ignore the larger problem, just like we might ignore the question of rape and ownership cultures in order to accommodate every appeal to "not all men".

You appealed to my regard for American conservatism and religion. I now appeal to your regard for progress.

Originally Posted by Capracus
Then please clarify for me. Is it your position that abortion should be unrestricted as to reason up to full term? Or do you impose limitation during late term?
Originally Posted by Bells
I am not going to discuss or apply something that cannot happen in reality because you want to delve once again into fantasy land. I have said this so many times now and you still keep asking me the same question. Abortion is not unrestricted up to full term, in other words, a woman cannot get an abortion at full term if the foetus is healthy. So your repeatedly asking me this question is based on a non-event - ie, it cannot happen. So why do you keep asking me this same question repeatedly when I have answered it repeatedly?

"I've never understood the female capacity to avoid a direct answer to any question."—Spock

I see nuthin wrong wit you'r queston... Capracus.!!!
Ether one thanks ther shoud be restrictions or ther shoudnt.!!!

When ever someone refuses to answr a hypothetical queston... i suspect that ther not secure :runaway: wit ther position.!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back