A question for the atheists???

Originally posted by JDawg
The same applies to God. But in the case of the life on other planets, there is at least a probability. There was even a mathematical equation for the possible numbers of intelligent species there are on other planets! Is there a mathematical equation for God?
The same doesn't apply to God, because we aren't looking for life like we know it anymore. We are looking for life as God knows it. And that life includes spirituality.

Tell me then, why is there no quantum equation for God? If they know of these other dimensions, where is God's?
The closest to an answer I can give you is this rabbinic quote that springs to mind. It goes something to the effect of "the universe is not God's place, because God is the Place of the universe" (Subsequently they sometimes call God "the Place").

Agreed. I pose this to you: How do you take that information and find God in it? What of that information makes you believe there is a god at all, let alone the one in the far-fetched and contradictory stories of the Bible?
Read my post to Quantum Quack. Although I might not have made the other side of it clear enough: I could not have faith it God did not permit me to have it. It is a gift that I am unable to open, although I know the truth is wrapped up inside. I can only explore its dimensions, but the the content must wait for the right time. As soon as I have conclusive proof I will be sure to let everybody know. But in the meantime its presence has been God's presence. It's frustrating, you can be sure of that, but only because of my curiousity and impatience - not because I have any reason to doubt its contents.

In this case, I see what you mean. But again, it's simply an emotional response from you. Have I told you before that you are very over-emotional? :D Anyway, calling love a basic emotion isn't narrow, it's fact. At least, that's what it boils down to. What comes from that, and what acts are committed and wonderful time is spent with the object of your affection is a whole other thing all together. But love itself is simply an impulse. Storybook, no, but that's what the stuff we do is for. The things you say to each other, the intimacy you share, the giggles you have, holding hands, passing notes, sending flowers, sweet whispers and warm breath on the back of your neck...that stuff is as magical as it gets. But it's not love itself. It's what you do because of love. And also because of lust, who knows? But the fact is, love is simply the emotion that makes you move in that direction.
The basic emotion that it "boils down to" is just the packaging. I still think the life of it is in the "goods" - those things that make love or any relationship work. I know I defend the emotional, wishy-washy, soft, childish, sentimental, subjective, unscientific, unreasonable, unpopular side of the argument. But my humble opinion is that it's the human side.

I remind you that I'm not looking for scientific explanations of how things work, or denying them. That's not where God is to be found, and therefore I aways find it amusing when people tell me "God can't exist because I know how this or that works" as if that excludes any knowledge of how God works. And you know what? Even if we do find conclusive evidence how life sprung out of dust, on more than one planet, I will be reminded of the scripture that says "the LORD God formed the man from the dust of the ground". But the image God created us in was His, not the earth's. That means we are to conform to Him, not to the animal kingdom, even though we are part of it.

Ok, so I was right about our argument...you're using the word "love," and applying it to all aspects of life, as opposed to just the emotion. In other words, when you say that we can choose to love someone or not, you are saying that we can choose to act on the emotion of love, correct? If I am, then I agree wholeheartedly. Of course we can choose to act on love, but the act itself isn't love. The act is the result of love.
That's right, I was applying it in the Biblical sense - altough it draws it origin from the emotion, it draws its strength from the conscious act of loving. Loving your enemies is hardly the natural, first impulse that springs to mind.

But you see my point again: when you trivialize love it becomes hard to understand it in its fullness or realize its potential. As an basic instinct, there isn't much difference between love and lust. But if they were the same thing, things like rape wouldn't be the problem it is.

My argument was that you don't choose who you fall in love with; you can't. Trust me...

...I'll get personal now for a minute, to try to help you understand...

I work with the girl, Andrea, and she's just about the coolest person I've ever met, no lie. She's pessimistic in a humorus way and uses that in her physical brand of comedy. She has this way about her...I don't know how to explain it, but she just oozes sex. Her appeal is amazing, especially when you consider that she isn't classically beautiful. She's kind of flat-chested, and doesn't have much of a backside, but she's adorable in every way you could imagine, or hope for. Aside from that, I have the utmost respect for her, in a very real way, and she's someone who's strength in spite of all the difficulty she's faced is something I admire with my whole person. She's faced harder times than I have, and I've been down the block a time or two.

I had to face it not too long ago...I have fallen head over heels in love with her. Nothing about a relationship with her would work for either of us, us being co-workers and in such close proximity to each other and others, and I have no idea why I would fall so completely for her, or anyone, for that matter. It's safe to say, I have never once thought about someone so much, or had dreams about someone, or had such a desire for someone; even women whom I've been more physically attracted to.

Point is, I didn't choose this. I didn't want this. I really wish I didn't feel this way; things would be so much easier...but I also know that I can't think about her too long without my heart crushing from the depressing knowledge that her and I will never be. And I can't look at her too long without finding my want and need for her growing into an intense heat that takes me the rest of the night to pacify. And I can't listen to her for too long without finding a new respect and love for her.

This is love, Jenyar. No choise involved in it. I'm in love and there is nothing I can do about it.

JD (By the way, I meant every word of that.)
I appreciate and respect your honesty. But you have illustrated my point again: even though it is logical that she=woman, you=man, and man+woman=attraction=love=reproduction, logic hardly cuts it. The attraction was there, the important variables were right, but reason doesn't permit it. It's not "love" by my definition yet (more like "in love"), but it might have developed into it. You could argue with her about preservation of the species and the importance of producing offspring, but she also has a choice to make. And I'm pretty sure that even if she felt exactly the way you do and the attraction was mutual, it would lead to sex before it lead to love (unless you believed sex wasn't a good indication of love and clouds your reason), and whatever the prohibiting considerations were would still be there.

No, I don't deny that you love her. I know the feeling almost exactly. But when I said love is a choice I meant love that would last. Love you can count on. Sometimes you can intuitively realize that it won't work, other times you have to do a bit of thinking, but at some stage it will become a decision - a mutual decision. If you haven't found this yet, I can almost guarantee you will in the future.

I see your point, though. You can't decide who you fall in love with. And it's a miracle how two independent people can share a mutual attraction that's not based only on sex. But there are plenty of people out there who you can choose to love without having to base it on attraction. I think parents are a good example of such a relationship.

I always find the following proverb amusing. The first three things provide a pattern, of how nature works, all things that have a perfectly scientific explanation. The argument is the same as yours, that the fourth one has a similar explanation. But observe all four in reality for a little while...

Proverbs 30
18There are three things that amaze me--no, four things I do not understand:
19 how an eagle glides through the sky,
how a snake slithers on a rock,
how a ship navigates the ocean,
how a man loves a woman.

Last edited:
Originally posted by Jan Ardena
Can you imagine a round square?
What would it look like?
Jan, by definition there can not be a round square. My point being one can say god is all powerful without really understanding what it is they are saying. That’s what I meant by putting the brain on hold. Not that someone is not intelligent – but that we get so used to an idea that we rarely stop to think what it is that we are saying, that is not paying attention to what it is we are saying. So, it may sound good to say god is omnipotent but it doesn’t “mean” anything. Or at least it does not mean that god can do “anything”. Jan are we in agreement here? Or are you going to say god can make a round square :bugeye:

Originally posted by Jan Ardena
You mean you know what "spiritual reality" is?
Please explain
You yourself said that “spiritual reality” and “physical reality” are two separate things. Therefore by your own definition you can never know that there is a “spiritual reality” as the moment you did it would have been via a physical process, which is in a physical reality. As such, you must have made it up :) Jan are we in agreement here? Or are you going to say you somehow unknown to yourself know about a reality outside of that which is physical :bugeye:

Jenya,

Thank you for your reponse, i have another question:

How does forgiveness feature in your faith?

Can you forgive God?

Can you forgive the mass murderer?

Originally posted by Michael
You yourself said that “spiritual reality” and “physical reality” are two separate things. Therefore by your own definition you can never know that there is a “spiritual reality” as the moment you did it would have been via a physical process, which is in a physical reality. As such, you must have made it up :) Jan are we in agreement here? Or are you going to say you somehow unknown to yourself know about a reality outside of that which is physical :bugeye:
I want you to think hard, and then make the categorical statement: "one can have no knowledge of any reality except the physical one." We can take it from there...

Just remember that this includes even any reality that is only partly physical. That will inevitably happen because we are the ones doing the perceiving, and we are based in a physical dimension.

Last edited:
Originally posted by Quantum Quack
Jenya[r],

Thank you for your reponse, i have another question:

How does forgiveness feature in your faith?

Can you forgive God?

Can you forgive the mass murderer?
Hold on, do you even know the amount of knowledge required to even make such a judgement? You have to know more than God himself! But we know ourselves, and we know our own weaknesses. We can forgive each other beacuse we know we would like to be forgiven, but we can't judge each other because that exposes our hypocrisy. We need the help of external laws to judge people by (to have a semblence of "objectivity"), and even those laws are just as fallible and prone to error as we are.

But you mislooked something else: who gives life? Who can give it again, and again and again? Can we? That's why it's called murder when we kill a human being. When God claims back what belongs to Him, it's called justice.

We don't have the knowledge to be objective about God, and blaming Him for "mass murder" relies heavily on your subjective experience of what death is, and therefore your judgment of it is also subjective. While this is barely sufficient to decide between right and wrong in human terms, it comes nowhere near God's knowledge of everything involved, to make objective judgment about it.

Last edited:
A question came up in a discussion with a friend today that I think is relevant.

If there is a hell and God makes a judgement to send the soul to hell how long should a soul suffer in hell for and is there any escape from hell?

How much punishment is needed to find redemtion and forgiveness do you think?

Do you think some one like Adolf Hitler is still in hell?

A question came up in a discussion with a friend today that I think is relevant.

If there is a hell and God makes a judgement to send the soul to hell how long should a soul suffer in hell for and is there any escape from hell?

How much punishment is needed to find redemtion and forgiveness do you think?

Do you think some one like Adolf Hitler is still in hell?
There are of course different schools of thought about this, but the Bible says nothing about the pool of fire (where death and hell ends up) ever releasing its prisoners.

A moment in hell and an eternity in hell is the same thing if time itself has been destroyed.

I'll make an analogy to try and clarify something. When someone has taken a life, the just punishment should be that he pay with his life. But due to various reasons (mercy, the immeasurable value of human life, the true ends of justice, the possibility of rehabilitation, etc.) most laws enforce the death sentence as a death penalty - we send that person to prison for a "lifetime" (which we also can't really measure). But now imagine if we could resurrect people. We could serve justice and mercy at the same time. But eventually even the possibility of life can be lost, say, if the earth is destroyed.

God will resurrect everybody to be judged. That means Hitler is just dead at the moment, not "burning in hell" (borrowed from the Roman "underworld"). He will probably burn in hell eventually, so it's technically not wrong to say he already is, but the truth is we're not the judge of that. We do know death is exercising its hold on him just like it does on everybody else. The original Hebrew concept of hell is "sheol", the grave. Just to be dead was to be in "hell". This prefigured the implication of eventual judgement by God: those who accept that only He can give life, and therefore die "in Him", will remain in His life (Jesus "conquered our death" and "God gave His life" to him and through him). Those who remain condemned under God's law will die a "second death" (the lake of fire). Whether this means total annihilation or eternal separation from God is up for speculation, but I'm not sure if one is that much better than the other.

I would venture to say death is the result, rather than the punishment - it only becomes punishment when you lose it forever. The issue most people have is based on time, i.e. 70 years of life vs. eternity in hell hardly seems like justice, but again, if time doesn't exist there's no way around eternity. And your whole life does belong to God, not just the part you are physically on earth. To lose that is an eternity lost.

Last edited:
The same doesn't apply to God, because we aren't looking for life like we know it anymore. We are looking for life as God knows it. And that life includes spirituality

But if we can't find life as God knows it, how do we know it exists? Jenyar, I'm going to plead to your rational side here for a moment, and please endulge me...You claim that there is this other reality; this place where the physical ends and the spiritual begins, and you speak of it plainly as if it is common knowledge. Let me ask you, how can you possibly know of it? Be completely honest and straightforward, and don't supply scripture. If you believe because of the Bible, then say that. But please, offer me something that I can hold on to; I'm not asking for hard evidence, just what makes you sure that such a reality exists.

Read my post to Quantum Quack. Although I might not have made the other side of it clear enough: I could not have faith it God did not permit me to have it. It is a gift that I am unable to open, although I know the truth is wrapped up inside. I can only explore its dimensions, but the the content must wait for the right time. As soon as I have conclusive proof I will be sure to let everybody know. But in the meantime its presence has been God's presence. It's frustrating, you can be sure of that, but only because of my curiousity and impatience - not because I have any reason to doubt its contents.

OK, I think I'm starting to understand you a bit more. You're saying that you have this faith--you don't know how or why it showed up, but it's there--and with this faith, you just know God is with you. Am I getting this?

The basic emotion that it "boils down to" is just the packaging. I still think the life of it is in the "goods" - those things that make love or any relationship work. I know I defend the emotional, wishy-washy, soft, childish, sentimental, subjective, unscientific, unreasonable, unpopular side of the argument. But my humble opinion is that it's the human side.

That's fine, you are more for the human experience than the intricicies behind it. I understand that. But you also have to understand that this is only one way to look at life, and it isn't the one that brings advancement to the species. If we all just enjoyed life without questioning it's mysteries, some very bad things might happen. I would imagine most of our medical advancements would not have come about. You may argue this, but I can't see how, when basing an attitude of an entire people on the attitude you have, we as human beings would have found the neccessity to find medicine or ways to treat depression or any other ailment of the body/mind if we all were like you.

That's right, I was applying it in the Biblical sense - altough it draws it origin from the emotion, it draws its strength from the conscious act of loving.

It more than draws it's origin from the emotion...it IS the emotion. Now that I understand where you're coming from, I can speak a little clearer to you: Love--including all the acts that stem from it--is the emotion. If you did not have the emotion, you would not preform those acts. Yet if you have the emtion, there is nothing to say that you will act on any of it. (See: My story...although my heart is growing more for her with every day...see, Jenyar, my boy, even ol' JD can get sappy sometimes! :D )

But you see my point again: when you trivialize love it becomes hard to understand it in its fullness or realize its potential. As an basic instinct, there isn't much difference between love and lust. But if they were the same thing, things like rape wouldn't be the problem it is.

You miss my point, though, Jenyar. Understanding the way love works, or it's purpose, isn't trivializing it. In fact, it's doing more for it, because now you realize that it indeed plays a real role in our survival, and is a truly beautiful thing. I can't stress enough, though, that knowing what love is doesn't exactly mean you've experienced love. Sure, you can know all the mechanics, but as you said, it isn't completely appreciated until you fall in it for yourself!

And it works both ways. Knowing of love as this mystical force and nothing else isn't giving the emotion it's due. You should know everything there is to know about this amazing emotion which is happy and sad and angry all at once. You should know why it exists, and what it's purpose is...if nothing else, you will be one more person who knows all there is to know about something, and that ultimately will inspire future generations to uncover secrets even deeper than we have explored. Big picture, Jenny, big picture.

I appreciate and respect your honesty. But you have illustrated my point again: even though it is logical that she=woman, you=man, and man+woman=attraction=love=reproduction, logic hardly cuts it. The attraction was there, the important variables were right, but reason doesn't permit it.

Unfortunately, you fell short on this one. Logic is the equation you just put up: woman, man, and man+woman=attraction=love=reproduction. That is the only variable that logic is concerned with. Everything else is perspective. "Reason doesn't permit it" is only because of the situation we are in...who is to say that 4 years from now we won't meet up again in a completely different situation and be able to be together? Who's to say that she won't find a better job and leave the company, and I'll be able to tell her how I feel, leading to us being together? Again, reason is unique to the individual, while logic is all-encompasing.

It's not "love" by my definition yet (more like "in love"), but it might have developed into it.

See, your definition is flawed, because love doesn't require a coupling. Me and her don't need to be together to be in love, or for one of us to have love for the other. I don't like it that you require both parties to share something before love can be proclaimed. It worries me..

And I'm pretty sure that even if she felt exactly the way you do and the attraction was mutual, it would lead to sex before it lead to love

Why is that? Why does something have to happen before love forms? Granted, it happens the way you just said it does, but it also happens the way it's happening to me right now. I love her...I don't need the sex to love her, I don't need a relationship to love her. I know how great of a person she is, how strong of a woman she is, how entertaining she is, how cute she is, what else is there to know? If she's good in bed? Yeah, that would matter if I had just met her last night, but at this point, she could be a dead fish in bed and while it might detract from my physical attraction, I can't imagine it having anythign to do with my feelings for her.

see your point, though. You can't decide who you fall in love with. And it's a miracle how two independent people can share a mutual attraction that's not based only on sex. But there are plenty of people out there who you can choose to love without having to base it on attraction. I think parents are a good example of such a relationship.

But parents don't choose to love thier children. It's instinctual. Granted, they can hate the fact that they had the kid, as circumstances (Again with the reason vs logic thing) may truly prevent her from keeping a child, and even take the hatred as far as murder, but I promise you, the love is there. They love that child.

Come to think of it...what kind of upbringing did you have that you actually believe your parents chose to love you? I'm really not trying to start a war, or insult you, Jenyar, but I really can't believe how warped that thought process is. More than your belief in God, or your way of living life for the experience alone, forget all that; what worries me is just how you think it all works. You really think a parent chooses love for a child? Tell me it doesn't say that anywhere in the Bible, because I will tell you now to burn it. That's a disgusting, atrocious, ignorant, niave, backwards and retarded outlook on it. I'm not saying you are those things, but that viewpoint absolutely

JD

Long post, you might want to print and read at leisure

Originally posted by JDawg
But if we can't find life as God knows it, how do we know it exists? Jenyar, I'm going to plead to your rational side here for a moment, and please endulge me...You claim that there is this other reality; this place where the physical ends and the spiritual begins, and you speak of it plainly as if it is common knowledge. Let me ask you, how can you possibly know of it? Be completely honest and straightforward, and don't supply scripture. If you believe because of the Bible, then say that. But please, offer me something that I can hold on to; I'm not asking for hard evidence, just what makes you sure that such a reality exists.
Well, it's hard in the same way it's hard to prove time exists even though we can write it down and use it every day.

There are a few example I usually use. Truth, beauty, all those things that play with reality like a toy, and can only be discerned by reason (even that is an understatement), not under a microscope. And what is the reality courts of law are based around? Empty space. Whatever documents they rely on are artificially produced out of nothing. Does that mean they are temples of useless ideas, with Judges presiding as priests of faith? A redundant fantasy, or a reality?

Love, does it even exist? Yes, chemical, neurological &c., but at its most human level it's a fantasy we build our lives around and base our happiness on. Invalid fantasy based on perfectly natural and explainable processes, or reality?

Faith. Yes, there are perfectly natural explanations for all (most?) spiritual experiences - but the strongest source of faith is natural experience itself. It encompasses your whole existence, and nothing falls outside of it. Even the most mundane thing can become "miraculous" to a believer because it relates to a spiritual experience of life. Just like the "soul" is the "breath" of life - to a Christian it is nothing less than God's breath, but to an unbeliever it is simply "breathing". Faith does not exclude reality, it represents reality in the dimension where everything that constitutes "being alive and human" exists.

A rock immersed in water is still exactly the same rock, but everything it experiences is "wet". Faith opens your eyes to such a spiritual reality that "wets" everything. I know the difference between spirituality and pure fantasy is indistinguishable to you; you deny the "water" really exists, and there are people who live in a fantasy world as if it were real. The difference is that spirituality should represent reality as reality itself - no lies, no inconsistensies, no illusions. And there are also a lot of people who have discovered spirituality without finding God in it. They are too involved in the experience of it, the possibilities of it - because you can actually make yourself the god of your own spirituality.

All that being said: there is one aspect that I can't explain to you, and that's God himself, because He is in the seeking, not the finding. All I can say is this "spirituality" is just fantasy without Him. But it is possible to find Him in it, because He reveals himself through it. You can be sure that only the real God can inhabit both reality and spirituality with complete representation. It is possible to know Him because He makes himself known. But if you only accept what you can see you are blind to Him. That is where I hope my examples above provide a clue.

If all else fails, revert to reality and start over. I have doubted many things and questioned even more growing in faith, but I have somehow never found even a bad reason not to hold on to it.

OK, I think I'm starting to understand you a bit more. You're saying that you have this faith--you don't know how or why it showed up, but it's there--and with this faith, you just know God is with you. Am I getting this?
There is more than one answer to this. I learnt about it from my parents, from the Bible, from its Jewish origins - although it now feels more like I just realized something I was already born with. The fact that I can agree and differ with those who I learned it from means it isn't just blind indoctrination. I can even teach them something every now and then. Then there are also those things that confirm my faith; sometimes there is some issue I think about a lot, reason out, and I write down my conclusion and forget about it. Days or weeks later I find it in the Bible or it is confirmed, not hidden, but undiscovered. Even if it is discredited, I learn something new that once again gets me thinking.

So yes, I "just know" God is with me, but that "just" is based on many unrelated reasons that only come together spiritually. Almost like triangulation. I find it's the same in the Bible - there is a dimension that looks "flat" on paper, even contradictory, but in the mind it constructs something more.
That's fine, you are more for the human experience than the intricicies behind it. I understand that. But you also have to understand that this is only one way to look at life, and it isn't the one that brings advancement to the species. If we all just enjoyed life without questioning it's mysteries, some very bad things might happen. I would imagine most of our medical advancements would not have come about. You may argue this, but I can't see how, when basing an attitude of an entire people on the attitude you have, we as human beings would have found the neccessity to find medicine or ways to treat depression or any other ailment of the body/mind if we all were like you.
I agree with you, but questioning mysteries selectively is even worse.

Again, faith should not limit human enterprise, but human enterprises infused with faith should be better for it. I believe it's a lack of faith that makes you stop questioning things - like a kind of fear that you might be wrong, which is ridiculous. There are many people who believe in God with this kind of desperation, and it's a huge pity. By faith, of course I mean faith that enables, not disables. Fleeing reality disables, so does neglecting your potential, humanity's potential.

I doubt those advancements made by sincere believers or God-fearing men were flukes or "lapses of faith". Few doctors who practised bloodletting to "release evil humours" from people were religiously inspired. Ignorance and narrow mindedness are equally detrimental on both sides of the spiritual fence.

There is no threat of stumbling upon God while exploring the mysteries of the natural universe, so that atheists can say "this is your god" or so that theists could be proved wrong. We can explore all we like and never find God, or we can recognize God and keep on exploring the world He created, delving deeper and deeper into its intricasies.

Sorry, but I can't resist this one quote: " 'Am I only a God nearby,' declares the Lord, 'and not a God far away?' " (Jer. 23:23)

It more than draws it's origin from the emotion...it IS the emotion. Now that I understand where you're coming from, I can speak a little clearer to you: Love--including all the acts that stem from it--is the emotion. If you did not have the emotion, you would not preform those acts. Yet if you have the emtion, there is nothing to say that you will act on any of it. (See: My story...although my heart is growing more for her with every day...see, Jenyar, my boy, even ol' JD can get sappy sometimes! :D )
Good to know :D But I disagree. Emotion by definition doesn't include reason. You yourself think it's only a genetic instinct and reason and its manifestation in choices aren't genetically programmed. Patience, kindness, tolerance and trust aren't emotions, and without them love is just a shell. Emotion is part of each of them, and maybe a few other things as well; sentiment, altruism, even some hidden agenda, but emotion itself is just the stem of the flower. We have to add these other nutrients artificially for the emotion to bear any fruit beyond the predictability of animal behaviour. And this kind of conditioning has a very real influence, ask any cognitive behavioural therapist.

You miss my point, though, Jenyar. Understanding the way love works, or it's purpose, isn't trivializing it. In fact, it's doing more for it, because now you realize that it indeed plays a real role in our survival, and is a truly beautiful thing. I can't stress enough, though, that knowing what love is doesn't exactly mean you've experienced love. Sure, you can know all the mechanics, but as you said, it isn't completely appreciated until you fall in it for yourself!

And it works both ways. Knowing of love as this mystical force and nothing else isn't giving the emotion it's due. You should know everything there is to know about this amazing emotion which is happy and sad and angry all at once. You should know why it exists, and what it's purpose is...if nothing else, you will be one more person who knows all there is to know about something, and that ultimately will inspire future generations to uncover secrets even deeper than we have explored. Big picture, Jenny, big picture.
Have you realized that you needed those emotional words to describe the emotion for what it is? Wouldn't the chemical equations have been more acurate? Wouldn't I have "understood" love better with them?

The big picture on emotion includes the the chemical force and evolutionary purpose behind it, but also the description, the circumstancial variables, the mystery. Understanding is always beneficial to any subject, but it is rarely there when you need it, and afterwards it's almost irrelevant except to rationalize, learn and move on. My argument is that the moment with all its nuances represents reality more accurately than any scientific explanation afterwards.

An example. You are suddenly tempted to cheat on your girlfiend. Is it you natural instincts that will make you resist the temptation, or your love for her? And if you start reasoning it out in the heat of the moment, which way will you reason? For emotion - "new" love, natural desire, experience and personal freedom (all of which are valid options); or against it, because you have realized infidelity amounts to lying to your girlfriend about loving her, and the two don't mix? Choice...

Unfortunately, you fell short on this one. Logic is the equation you just put up: woman, man, and man+woman=attraction=love=reproduction. That is the only variable that logic is concerned with. Everything else is perspective. "Reason doesn't permit it" is only because of the situation we are in...who is to say that 4 years from now we won't meet up again in a completely different situation and be able to be together? Who's to say that she won't find a better job and leave the company, and I'll be able to tell her how I feel, leading to us being together? Again, reason is unique to the individual, while logic is all-encompasing.
Yes, but logic is like the scientific contruction of events afterwards. Logic can't predict your actions, or what will happen. You can be sure it will be logical, but how does that change anything? On the other hand, reasoning might provide a solution. You would use logic to reach a conclusion, but it still depends on your principles and other variables. You might even decide on an illogical course of action. The chemistry would be logical, your reasoning doesn't have to be. The individual is of concern, and his perspective describes his reality better than the all-encompassing logic.

See, your definition is flawed, because love doesn't require a coupling. Me and her don't need to be together to be in love, or for one of us to have love for the other. I don't like it that you require both parties to share something before love can be proclaimed. It worries me..
That was exactly my point: if you have to include the basic principles for love to be love, then coupling is sine qua non, evolutionarily speaking.

Sharing applies to romantic love where mutual affection more or less describes it. But love in the Biblical sense, as in "love your enemies", of course not - in fact, it's required to be unconditionally one-sided, without expecting any "return on investment". This perspective approaches love from the other side: instead of mutual attraction - basic emotion/desire/natural instinct - forming the basis for love, choice becomes the characterising feature. Follow?

Why is that? Why does something have to happen before love forms? Granted, it happens the way you just said it does, but it also happens the way it's happening to me right now. I love her...I don't need the sex to love her, I don't need a relationship to love her. I know how great of a person she is, how strong of a woman she is, how entertaining she is, how cute she is, what else is there to know? If she's good in bed? Yeah, that would matter if I had just met her last night, but at this point, she could be a dead fish in bed and while it might detract from my physical attraction, I can't imagine it having anythign to do with my feelings for her.
So do you agree that the emotion has little to do with the actual manifestation of it? You might accuse me of being overly emotional, but I hold that reason can also form the basis of emotion. That even though we might be chemically oriented, carbon-based lifeforms, our reasoning ability makes us spiritual beings as well. We can live in a suspended world where impulse can be filtered, processed and analysed before we react to it, and even though this world exists solely in our minds, it is no less real, has no less basis in reality. That it in fact shapes our reality simply by perspective, before we even start shaping it accordingly with our actions. What if God is interested in that part of our existence more than anything else? Where even the desire to sleep with a woman already is already no different than infidelity - where infidelity in the mind is just as real as infidelity of the body.

But parents don't choose to love thier children. It's instinctual. Granted, they can hate the fact that they had the kid, as circumstances (Again with the reason vs logic thing) may truly prevent her from keeping a child, and even take the hatred as far as murder, but I promise you, the love is there. They love that child.
I believe exactly the same is true with God.

Now consider for a moment that our earthly parents were given to us. In that sense they are just our foster parents, and they love us as their own - because we are their own. Now change the perspective again, we believe our parents are our real parents, our earthly natures, biological inheritance, DNA, everything scientific comes from them; what if God adopts our spiritual natures - spiritual counterpart of who we are, our souls. He is our foster parent, but He loves us as His own because spiritually we are His children.

The choice is in your mind: what owns you - who is your master? Your instinctive nature, which is scientific, real, observable, logical, or your spiritual nature, which is uobservable, but just as real and logical? Do you love Andrea because its in your nature and withing your understanding, or do you love her just because she exists, with everything that means emotionally, psychologically, logically - and illogically? Is she just a ship sailing on the ocean, an eagle soaring in the sky, or is she an infinite mystery you would like to spend the rest of your life discovering? And you didn't have any say in her existence, yet even the possibility of being with her makes your life worthwhile.

"Houses and wealth are inherited from parents, but a prudent wife is from the LORD."
Come to think of it...what kind of upbringing did you have that you actually believe your parents chose to love you? I'm really not trying to start a war, or insult you, Jenyar, but I really can't believe how warped that thought process is. More than your belief in God, or your way of living life for the experience alone, forget all that; what worries me is just how you think it all works. You really think a parent chooses love for a child? Tell me it doesn't say that anywhere in the Bible, because I will tell you now to burn it. That's a disgusting, atrocious, ignorant, niave, backwards and retarded outlook on it. I'm not saying you are those things, but that viewpoint absolutely
OK. Before you fly of the handle any further. Do you believe a parent has no choice but to love their children?

What you have right here, JD, is the spiritual/biological dichotomy on a plate. One of the Ten Commandments says "honour your father and your mother". A rabbi will tell you it doesn't say "honour your children" as well, because the Bible doesn't speak to fools. But what kind of love aborts an unwanted child for no reason other than personal comfort? You say parents don't choose to love their children, that it's an instinct that comes naturally, like an emotion - but that's obviously not categorically true, and if it isn't always true, it means the natural instinct isn't decisive - and that has huge implications for something like trust, which is crucial to the kind of love I'm talking about. Why do so many parents fail to love their children near to how much they love themselves - or even love themselves at the expense of their children? If people can fail at something that's so integral to existence, something so basically human as love, then what hope does logic and science provide in the place of God? Even psychology can only do damage control. If God doesn't exist, fair enough - that's just the way we ended up and we have to work at it, but if He does, each person is ultimately accountable and instinct just doesn't cut it.

You're right, this doesn't need to become a war. I'm also not easily insulted. I fully agree with you: parents have it in their nature to love their children. But nature alone isn't enough to ensure love. Ask any child left on someone's doorstep, ask the girl who's had two abortions because she wasn't "ready" to have children. Don't get mad at me, JD, because I know I was the first child of a first marriage and that I was conceived in the kind of love I have grown up with. And I know it isn't "luck" that I didn't grow up in a broken household - it was a gift I intend to pass to my own children someday. No, I have no choice to love them (that's the law everyone has written in their hearts), but it isn't because my nature doesn't allow it - I don't trust my own nature to "take its course" with that much responsibility - it's because God wrote that law, and I want to conform to His nature. I want to love my children. It's a choice.

Even more than this: because everybody on earth are His children, in a spiritual sense you are foster parent to all of them. How's that for increasing your responsibility and putting pressure on "natural" love...

You wanted to know what the Bible says? It says don't take love for granted, because it depends on you. You can live up to it or let it down. Divine law says it is the natural state of things, but as is evident from the wars, injustice, hatred, parent abuse, child abuse - child rapes - that neither law not justice can keep up with, we are obviously either following the wrong nature, or it (I'm tempted to say "evolution") has become insufficient to regulate our existence, and that makes us all sinners.

Last edited:
Jenya and Jdawg,

Do you think that the main purpose of humanity is to learn to love better?

Through out history we have made so many loving mistakes.

Do you think or feel that this is possible if we work on it? Whether you believe in "God" or not?

What nature are you nurturing?

Jenya and Jdawg,

Do you think that the main purpose of humanity is to learn to love better?

Through out history we have made so many loving mistakes.

Do you think or feel that this is possible if we work on it? Whether you believe in "God" or not?
I would put it more strongly: it's the responsibility of humanity to learn to love better. You could try to read my post above :)

Of course it's possible, but my experience is that even though in practice the efforts towards this goal are similar in most people, those who don't believe in God have to fall back on what is natural - i.e. determined by evolution. Whether we succeed or not becomes irrelevant except to our survival in general, which doesn't really inspire the individual to conform to a kind of love that surpasses their natural instincts.

We have obviously not evolved naturally into a more peaceful race, so any attempt to rectify nature exposes a kind of hypocrisy.

Again, I do emphasize that this is mostly only true in theory. All people have the same innate ability and motivation to love and be loved, but I'm pretty sure that any kind of discrepancy between what you think about something while trying to achieve it will have negative consequences.

OK. I've stopped just short of calling all atheists hypocrites, but consider this post a challenge to correct me. I'm just concerned about the way evolutionistic thinking has gone to define love against the kind of ideal we want to achieve. I really don't think bad of anybody; pure intentions are pure no matter who you are.

Last edited:
I think this may be an area of contention to say that atheists fall short on the puruit of the ideal. However I think if it there is one thing that a religious person of integrity can try to do for an atheist is to focus on learning to love and not ideology.

For to argue theosophy seems only to create division and not solve anything.

Best to focus on the end and not so much on the means I think.

It's just that I have been reading the posts and I see alot of angst happening over what I would call technicality. God if he exists, exists for all of humanity and all religions including atheists and well I tend to think that arguing about belief is not at all necessary.

And if God doesn't exist the universe is full of love any way just called love, confused and disturbed sometimes but love all the same...even an atheist can agree with this.

So may we find some way to peace and love amongst all humanity?

Is this not what it is all about after all?

There's a song

"some where.... some how....... some day we'll find a new way of living a new way of forgiving" but it misses the "new way of loving" bit :)

Back