11 year old boy arrested

I haven't had time to research the outcome of this, but hopefully it turned out to be a false alarm and the kid is fine.

Turns out the kid got probation and has to undergo treatment, which when he completes, the charges will be removed from his record.

Seems like a reasonable outcome, and more to the point, in the light of day the justice department did in fact conclude that the boy required court appointed treatment.

Arthur

Well when the picture he draws shows him firing a gun at his teachers with the words "teachers must die" that kinda crosses the line.

Which line? Pretty much every male elementary school student I've known did that at some point or another. Many females, as well. The knee-jerk insistence on taking such seriously - fed by some fear of liability, apparently - is pretty facepalm.

It would be credible if he drew it in this:

the_Death_Note.jpg

"DELETE!"

Turns out the kid got probation and has to undergo treatment, which when he completes, the charges will be removed from his record.

Seems like a reasonable outcome, and more to the point, in the light of day the justice department did in fact conclude that the boy required court appointed treatment.

Arthur

Treatment for what? They already knew he had ADHD and he had a therapist.

What we have here is a simple case of "sending the children mixed messages." This form of communication is often followed by so much backlash even the backlash has backlash. Poor kid probably hates his teachers even more, doesn't trust his therapist, and will never enjoy art class again. This specific form of communication is oxymoronically marked by the total and complete lack of communication impressed directly on the child and instead extended into the public ears to sort out the problem. Basically all this could have been avoided by literally following Johnathan Swifts A Modest Proposal to the T for teachers. Yes we should all eat the teachers and blame them specifically for being aroused by 14 y.o bad boys who bring guns to school.

I like how they said the 11 YEAR OLD KID, has no previous offenses as if they expected him too. Don't they know most school shootings are just a tiny psychological escalation from stick figure drawings?

Seems like a reasonable outcome

No, probation is overkill, the child doesn't need to be placed on probation, not for a drawing he did to control his frustration!

Learning to control his frustration and channel it is what was going on, he was trying, he got jumped on for it.

If I were his parents, I'd be wanting to homeschool him at this point if I possibly could.

Which line? Pretty much every male elementary school student I've known did that at some point or another. Many females, as well.

Then you hung with some pretty sick individuals.

* actually I don't believe you. Indeed I think this kid was pretty disturbed. More to the point, I think any parent who wouldn't be VERY upset about finding their kid had drawn that picture isn't much of a parent.

ADHD doesn't make you want to kill your teachers.
He was fantasizing...and I don't think he intended to do it.

I would be upset as a parent myself (and make sure the guns were locked up really well), but I still think calling the cops before calling the parents...well, why???

You'd think they would try to address the problem with the parents before involving the police.

I used to draw all sorts of weaponry-knives, swords, double-bladed axes, demons...I was depressed, that's what I liked to draw. Boy, I'm glad nobody decided that constituted some sort of threat!

He was fantasizing...and I don't think he intended to do it.

But like the teachers you don't know for sure if he intended to do it, do you?

I would be upset as a parent myself (and make sure the guns were locked up really well), but I still think calling the cops before calling the parents...well, why???

You'd think they would try to address the problem with the parents before involving the police.

But that's a problem, because the school officials might not have a clue what kind of parents the kid has and if the kid has already hidden a gun and how the parents will deal with it, for all they know telling the parents could inadvertantly make it worse and so they have to deal with the possibility that the kid will show up the next day with a Glock and start shooting.

I used to draw all sorts of weaponry-knives, swords, double-bladed axes, demons...I was depressed, that's what I liked to draw. Boy, I'm glad nobody decided that constituted some sort of threat!

And that was NOT what this was.
This was not pictures of weaponry, this was a scene where the kid drew himself shooting his teachers and labeled the drawing "Teachers Must Die". I can't imagine any teacher finding this drawing and not being very upset about it, or ignoring it.

Seems to me the school officials had a duty to the other students and teachers to have the kid professionally evaluated and/or treated before allowing that kid back in the school. I suspect after some discussion they probably came to the conclusion that arresting him was the only option that guaranteed that outcome.

Arthur

Back