Worldview and Religion

I should be quite clear in the fact that my worldview is dictated by science, and whatever spirutuality I have fits around it.

How do you define spirituality for yourself? What do you want to get out of it and what entities are required for it to work?

Why even consider a theological position? Many people simply give it no heed one way or another, the issues are irrelevant for them, and I don't believe that is a theological position in the same way that atheism or materialism are theological positions. I.e. this is a third alternative.

If you're an athiest and feel the need to tell me why Christianity is the worst thing to happen to humanity, I don't care.

Talmudic ideology is the worst thing to happen to humanity, it far surpasses any damage done by Christians.

The idea that a religion should dictate world view is dangerouse; your view of the real world should not be inclined by whatever beliefs you have.

This idea of religion dictating worldview brought us the problem of divine right.

Many people simply give it no heed one way or another, the issues are irrelevant for them, and I don't believe that is a theological position in the same way that atheism or materialism are theological positions. I.e. this is a third alternative.

If you're an athiest, then having spirituality dictate your worldview isn't a problem...

How do you define spirituality for yourself? What do you want to get out of it and what entities are required for it to work?

I don't know that I can answer these questions. Whatever characteristics the Creator has, they must be consistent with phsyical law. As far as what I personally want, I'm not sure.

I don't know that I can answer these questions. Whatever characteristics the Creator has, they must be consistent with phsyical law. As far as what I personally want, I'm not sure.

The latter statement is the crux of it. Until you know what it is that you're after, the questions you are asking can't be answered.

Why even consider a theological position? Many people simply give it no heed one way or another, the issues are irrelevant for them, and I don't believe that is a theological position in the same way that atheism or materialism are theological positions. I.e. this is a third alternative.

Atheism and materialism are theological positions. Refraning from making a choice is still making a choice.

Atheism and materialism are rational positions. Theological positions are those that include supernature.

For some, perhaps. But the core of each is that they don't consider a god position. Each of these positions can exist without the god position and are therefore independent. Thus, there is no reason to refer to them as "theological" positions. That leaves them as rational positions, assigned the designation of "theological" positions by those that accept the god position as fact simply because they refuse to use reason and don't want to believe others will either.

For some, perhaps. But the core of each is that they don't consider a god position. Each of these positions can exist without the god position and are therefore independent. Thus, there is no reason to refer to them as "theological" positions. That leaves them as rational positions, assigned the designation of "theological" positions by those that accept the god position as fact simply because they refuse to use reason and don't want to believe others will either.
Wow. Way to not understand what I'm saying at all. Atheism and materialism are defined by their position toward God. Even agnosticism is still a theological position, in that the choice is made not to make a choice.

Abstaining from action is still an act in itself.

I still hold the position that you're wrong. Is a five year old that has never learned of a god or religious superstition holding a theological position when they reply with a shrug to the question "what is god?"

That five year old is an atheist since it doesn't hold a belief in any gods. It is a materialist since it recognizes as valid the material world in which it lives; the world it senses and observes -and understands that there is a difference between fantasy and reality.

Surely you cannot hold the position that this five year old has a theological position? It would be like saying high school drop out holds a super string position when he hasn't studied physics.

Ok, just one ground rule. If you're an athiest and feel the need to tell me why Christianity is the worst thing to happen to humanity, I don't care. I've read the books and know the arguments---I assure you that you can't tell me anything I don't already know. Likewise, I have spent eight years among the most conservative christians in the US. I know what you will say, and again I assure you---you won't tell me anything that I haven't already heard.

To both parties---please don't insert your (unwanted) opinion here.

If you have an objective comment about the following, however, please feel free to make any rational points.

I will trust a moderator to ensure that these guidelines are followed, as per Plasma Inferno's ``Rokkon'' rules.

As a scientist, I have trouble believing in things like a virgin birth, or Jesus walking on water, or TRex eating vegetables, or any of the other stories that people teach in sunday school. In line with Hume, the rational point of view is that Genesis is an oral tale like any other oral tale from any other culture, and that biblical miracles can be attributed to natural phenomena.

I do not feel, however, that a belief in God is wholly illogical, and that such a belief is not in contradiction with Nature in general. In other words, divine intervention at the start of the universe doesn't preclude the universe from following a set of physical laws. (Whether we can KNOW these physical laws is another thread. This point of view also leads me to the idea that, perhaps, there is no free will.)

I am a lapsed Catholic, and have been struggling with the following question: Should one's religion dictate one's worldview, or should one's worldview dictate their theology?

If ones religion is true then it should dictate their lifes view.

All Praise The Ancient Of Days

PS: If God exists then things like the virgin birth and Jesus walking on water would be child's play for Him. You lack of belief in these thinks reveals your lack of belief that a God exists.

Of course, yes. But one only need look at polls in the US, for example, wherein 50% of people say that they believe man was created by God in his present form. (One can explain these numbers away, I think---for example, most people in America were raised Christian, and most people will revert to that if questioned openly about something.) These numbers are important when it comes to what kind of politicians we elect, and what kind of textbooks the school board chooses for our childeren.

Taking this 5% figure literally (as, I'm sure, it was not inteded to be), will there ever be a time when it is 0%? How much can you take out of the New Testament and still call your religion Christianity?

Nothing.

All Praise The Ancient Of Days

If God exists then things like the virgin birth and Jesus walking on water would be child's play for Him. You lack of belief in these thinks reveals your lack of belief that a God exists.

Not if God must be consistent with physical law. If God isn't consistent with physical law, then no experiment can be trusted. We are subject to the whims of a Creator's will, which is overwhelmingly not the message of the New Testament.

One can argue that science has progressed more rapidly in the West (after the Inquisition, that is) than in the East, for the sole fact that the Christian God is one of order, and the Muslim Allah is one of intervention---for example, from a Muslim textbook on Chemistry ``When hydrogen and oxygen combine, they form water, if God wills it''.

Your view is an extremely conservative one, to which I can never prescribe.

If ones religion is true then it should dictate their lifes view.

And what if that religion is inconsistent with what we can analytically test?

Atheism and materialism are theological positions because they take a position regarding God, namely, that of rejection.

I think I agree with you, as per the original post. Specifically, athiesm would be the extreme end of the spectrum---one is confident that science can answer all questions without fail. If you are not confident of this, then, I would claim that you are an agnostic.

To be sure, science can NEVER prove God's existence. This is the message of the New Testament---salvation by faith alone. Science can only push God into corners, so to speak. Science can constrain God.

So I ask you---is it possible to scientifically explain the universe in its entirety? (I don't know what I think about this question, and don't know how to answer it myself...)

Until you know what it is that you're after, the questions you are asking can't be answered.

Perhaps you are right. I don't want to have to make up excuses to tell my childeren. I don't want to have to ignore logic and sanity to get something from religion. But at times, especially in America, religous people make it their mission to corrupt science. And it only takes a few to spoil the whole lot---one creation museum in Kentucky, one Intelligent Design textbook in Kansas... These things make me think that we'd be better off without religion.

If God exists then things like the virgin birth and Jesus walking on water would be child's play for Him. You lack of belief in these thinks reveals your lack of belief that a God exists.
This is totally fallacious. When someone believes in God but not these things, they aren't saying that God can't do these things, they are saying that God wouldn't do these things.

Perhaps you are right. I don't want to have to make up excuses to tell my childeren. I don't want to have to ignore logic and sanity to get something from religion. But at times, especially in America, religous people make it their mission to corrupt science. And it only takes a few to spoil the whole lot---one creation museum in Kentucky, one Intelligent Design textbook in Kansas... These things make me think that we'd be better off without religion.

I've seen people practice religion merely to be a part of the rituals and social bonding that comes with it. They know and openly acknowledge that the theistical claims are bogus, but they do involve themselves in the traditions.

I've seen people practice religion merely to be a part of the rituals and social bonding that comes with it. They know and openly acknowledge that the theistical claims are bogus, but they do involve themselves in the traditions.

Do you think the reverse is possible? i.e. people surrounded by atheists go along with the gig?

Back