Without the conviction that God is evil -how much theist/atheist debate can there be?

You agree there is an enveloping intelligence the universe is designed with? But find the possibility of god to be non-existant.

No, I don't agree to the Intelligence that you do.

We are left to wonder how that Intelligence itself came to be if we always require intelligence behind all. Inconsistent.

The unnecessarily lengthened road always leads back to the very short road of nothing, kind of an insult to the injury of no God/Intelligence being first and responsible for all.

So nothing is your god.

But according to you nothing will either result in a stable nothing or as something (namely everything) I suspect in different false vaccum states.

So how is your nothing and my god different? You agree in a enveloping intellgence if you agree with evolution is it being exclusiv to biological lifeforms? No I believe evolution had a different premise that started with matter itself evolving which is what your theory implicates.

So nothing is your god.

But according to you nothing will either result in a stable nothing or as something (namely everything) I suspect in different false vaccum states.

So how is your nothing and my god different? You agree in a enveloping intellgence if you agree with evolution is it being exclusiv to biological lifeforms? No I believe evolution had a different premise that started with matter itself evolving which is what your theory implicates.

No intelligence; no choice but for nothing to fluctuate; the cosmos can only be the way it is. No God. No anything in the overview. No boundary of extent or duration. Everything possible happening everywhere, time and time again.

It's still a belief though. Much like Joey's, just without divine presence.
I think, I understand you both.

But your wrong "the cosmos" can not only be the way it is. Only if your speaking relative to how we interpretate matter and even that is a broad blanket statement. I agree with everything possible happening everywhere, time and time again so I cant see why you dont consider this contigent matter god itself.... for intelligence is an abituary term that is apparently subjective because I think that if experience itself exists that intelligence even in the most broadest sense has to exist and this label is what we are arguing about.

You are dishonest as usual. None of these are about your nonexistant god being evil. And where do you see anything that indicates that i believe a god exists? Have you been eating mushrooms? You'd have to be hallucinating to think that. My guess is you're just trolling.

All hail the introspective abilities of a frozen tuna! :bugeye:

God's personality is basically irrelevant to the God of natural theology -- the object of the first-cause, design and similar arguments of philosophical theology.

Not at all.

Implied in the endeavors of natural theology are several assumptions about God's nature.
For example that God is magnanimous enough to allow speculation about Him (or at least that He doesn't care or won't punish you for speculating about Him); that God is such that thinking about God makes a difference somehow, and not for the worse; that God reciprocates; that our act of thinking about God is somehow governed by God.

The very act of thinking about God, even if it is just natural theology that one engages in, requires that some things about God's nature, and our own nature, be assumed and taken for granted.

The moment one seriously entertains that God is or could be evil, thinking about God is halted.

There's no reason to even imagine God as a "person" outside the context of one of the personal theistic traditions. That's where God's personality does have some relevance.

Given the above assumptions about God, and our own understanding ourselves as persons, we are bound to assume also that God is a person.
Otherwise, thinking about God is halted.

Even leaving aside the question of whether God actually exists, there's still an ethical question of whether the image of 'God' promoted by a particular religious tradition is a suitable moral object of human worship. If a particular myth portrays its 'God' character as evil, then it could be argued that moral problems confront that deity's devotees whether or not the deity exists.

This is not my experience with theists, though.
There are some who believe in what I consider an evil God - yet they themselves appear to have a similar nature. So for them, there is no conflict between God's evilness and their own evilness. (Of course, they generally call neither God, nor themselves, evil.)

At some point, I was asking Christians about how they have come to terms with God apparent immorality. They saw no problem.

Not at all.

Implied in the endeavors of natural theology are several assumptions about God's nature.

The traditional theistic "proofs", the evidences of God that one (supposedly) discovers in nature itself, lead us towards a set of abstract philosophical concepts. First cause, final cause, designer, ground of being, etc. They don't really deliver us before a cosmic person.

I suppose that there's several varieties of moral argument as well, that try to derive God's existence from our possession of a human conscience and from our sense of right and wrong. And yes, God's being good or evil would be relevant to those arguments. So my point in my last post may have been overstated. What I was thinking was that it's entirely possible to have good and evil without imagining a cosmic person who creates, embodies or enforces the whole thing. So even the moral arguments deliver abstractions, not a personal God.

For example that God is magnanimous enough to allow speculation about Him (or at least that He doesn't care or won't punish you for speculating about Him); that God is such that thinking about God makes a difference somehow, and not for the worse; that God reciprocates; that our act of thinking about God is somehow governed by God.

I suppose, but that's an expression of preexisting religious faith.

Somebody would have to already be thinking of God as a being who is "magnanimous", who "allows", who "cares", who "punishes", who "reciprocates", who "governs". And as something that can meaningfully be referred to as "Him". (Capital 'H'.)

I'm questioning whether an atheist would necessarily think of God that way. So while God's personality would almost certainly be relevant to the theistic side of the theist/atheist conversation, it probably wouldn't be nearly as relevant to the atheist side. The atheist isn't likely to be convinced of the relevance and applicability of theism's personal attributes to natural theology's abstract philosophical functions. The only thing that ties those parts together is purported theistic revelation that the atheist almost certainly doesn't recognize.

The very act of thinking about God, even if it is just natural theology that one engages in, requires that some things about God's nature, and our own nature, be assumed and taken for granted.

What assumptions are those? This seems to get at the as-yet unexplained subject line of this thread, the reason why you're apparently suggesting that belief in God's being evil is necessry in order for there to be a atheist/theist conversation.

The moment one seriously entertains that God is or could be evil, thinking about God is halted.

Why? I have no trouble entertaining the possibility that God is evil. In fact, if the Old Testament accurately portrays God's actions, then it's hard to see how he isn't.

And how does that last sentence relate to the question in your subject line: "Without the conviction that God is evil -how much theist/atheist debate can there be?" It seems to contradict it. Are you attributing atheists' atheism to that belief that God is evil which somehow cuts them off from God and puts them on a collision course with theists?

Given the above assumptions about God, and our own understanding ourselves as persons, we are bound to assume also that God is a person.

Sure, if we already have religious faith that God is a person, and if we therefore believe that any non-personal concept of ultimate principles can't be a concept of God. But isn't that circular reasoning? It's already assuming the personal theistic conclusion.

This is not my experience with theists, though. There are some who believe in what I consider an evil God - yet they themselves appear to have a similar nature. So for them, there is no conflict between God's evilness and their own evilness. (Of course, they generally call neither God, nor themselves, evil.)

In some cases that's probably true.

At some point, I was asking Christians about how they have come to terms with God apparent immorality. They saw no problem.

Neither do I. I don't understand your point there.

WOW! Can you say circular? Sure, I knew you could.
Are we?
Nature is not limited by your lack of imagination.

What I was thinking was that it's entirely possible to have good and evil without imagining a cosmic person who creates, embodies or enforces the whole thing.

Good and evil can be relevant only to persons.
Good and evil can be relevant only if they are objective.
Good and evil can be objective only if they are defined by the supreme person.

So even the moral arguments deliver abstractions, not a personal God.

Sure.

I suppose, but that's an expression of preexisting religious faith.

My point is that it is precisely not the case that those assumptions would be an expression of preexisting religious faith.
Instead, those assumptions are inherent simply to the very act of thinking about God.

I'm questioning whether an atheist would necessarily think of God that way.

If they sit comfortably in a comfortable armchair and think about God, then the above assumptions will be implied.

Of course, those assumptions are usually not enough to "believe in God" or to go to church as a result (although there are individuals for whom this is the case).
So the armchair thinker about God is still an atheist, albeit one with some internal discomfort (which is why he feistily posts at internet forums :p).

What assumptions are those?

Stated earlier on, about God being magnanimous etc.

This seems to get at the as-yet unexplained subject line of this thread, the reason why you're apparently suggesting that belief in God's being evil is necessry in order for there to be a atheist/theist conversation.

Note the concept in the OP is debate, not mere discussion or conversation. Debate is about winning.

If one believes that God is good, one sees no need to debate about Him - as one sees that everything is in perfect order and will ultimately work out fine - because God is good.

But if one believes God is evil, or could be evil, then one's inner moral drive will force one to prevail over other people in one way or another.

Why? I have no trouble entertaining the possibility that God is evil.

For how long and to what extent?

And how does that last sentence relate to the question in your subject line: "Without the conviction that God is evil -how much theist/atheist debate can there be?" It seems to contradict it. Are you attributing atheists' atheism to that belief that God is evil which somehow cuts them off from God and puts them on a collision course with theists?

It sure does. And many atheists openly speak of God as being evil (and this being the reason why they don't believe in God).

The ne plus ultra of wickedness is embodied in what is commonly presented to mankind as the creed of Christianity.
I will call no being good who is not what I mean when I apply that epithet to my fellow creatures; and if such a creature can sentence me to hell for not so calling him, to hell I will go.
-- John Stuart Mill

Sure, if we already have religious faith that God is a person,

And my point is that religious faith is not necessary for the formation of such assumptions.

It appears that the moment one starts to think about God, one is as if put on a train of thought, and that train goes somewhere, in a quite predictable way.

In Buddhism, they speak of the regularity of the Dharma - that things don't just chaotically and unpredictably happen. But that when this is that is; from the arising of this, comes the arising of that; and from the cessation of this, comes the cessation of that.
There are not infinite and chaotic options.

Neither do I. I don't understand your point there.

Personally, I could not reconcile the notions that God is omnibenevolent - and yet tortures the majority of His beloved (!) children in hell for all eternity.
So I asked Christians how they have come to terms with this, how they have reconciled this; my question was especially aimed at those who have converted to Christianity as adults.

Back