wisdom teeth as an argument for evolution

After seven generations of hard diet
how much would increase the mandible?

You are not getting the point. It is NOT genetically inheritable trait. It's a common thing. When you chew harder food your mandible grows bigger. It's the same for everyone.

Well it is very good and you made a good presentation.

However, one can argue: Why were the teeth left behind when all those other things had enough time to change so why not the wisdom teeth?

especially becase they don't become painful or lethal until your at least 17 and up to 25, which means that chances are the person had already passed on the gene before they were affected.

b/c they were not much of a problem until AFTER the jaw became smaller.

In my POV, that jaw shrinking did not happen until the RTS was developed in parietal brain region and smaller brains with this Real Time understanding of the environment were more than a match for the Neanderthals in battle (because they perceived the environment with slight delay due to the chain of neural processing delays before their perception could "emerge.") See post 2 and its links.

I thought about that the day before i posted and let it go anyway. Still seems like a small modification, relatively speaking, and yet the "wisdom teeth" were left behind anyway.

Now in my mind evolution would make teeth as on long tooth encompassing the whole jaw. The reason i say that is look at the skull and the nice radiuses. Why would evolution make individual teeth and not one (2 with top and bottom) long chomper?

Any one know?

especially becase they don't become painful or lethal until your at least 17 and up to 25, which means that chances are the person had already passed on the gene before they were affected.

My son never had to have his removed because he has none. The dentist was a bit surprised.
Is he an evolutionary leap forward or a freak of nature or are they the same?

My son never had to have his removed because he has none. The dentist was a bit surprised.

maybe he's the missing link?:shrug:

The difference depends on whether it is a successful mutation. You won't know about your son until he has children (or perhaps even grandchildren) of his own and some of them inherit the trait. Otherwise it's not genetic and so it's not evolution.

Its called abiogenesis, its the lack of some body part or organ. Now, what defines abiogenesis is somewhat dificult.

It could either be the result of an evolutionary step or a glitch. Its usually small stuff, some people are born without apendix's and the like.

A certain percentage of people have abiogenesis of the wisdom teeth. The curious thing is that the percentage varies by different parts of the world. For example, I believe native Mexicans have nearly 100% abiogenesis while Tazmanians have nearly 0%.

Whether it is a glitch or evolution is up for debate.

The difference depends on whether it is a successful mutation. You won't know about your son until he has children (or perhaps even grandchildren) of his own and some of them inherit the trait. Otherwise it's not genetic and so it's not evolution.

assuming it is a dominant trait of course.

If it is a glitch it can still be genetic as in certain combinations of genes make it more likely or less likely.

assuming it is a dominant trait of course.
That's why I added in the grandchildren. It may take a few generations for a recessive gene to mingle out through the population until it starts pairing up.

Gorillas don't have this problem, since they inbreed within very small clans. I've read that if you take two gorilla skulls from opposite ends of their range and show them to a zoologist unfamiliar with primates, he will insist that they must be two different species.

I was missing one wisdom tooth and my younger brother is also missing one.

I stumped you guys?

I think they evolved as separate for separate purposes, but also, if you only had one big one and you lost that, that's a huge disadvantage.

Still, cows just have a pad on the top instead.

Evolution only cares for those individuals capable of breeding.
It doesn't care about people who are old, sick, impotent, disabled, or who need care.

Only human beings can do that.

Or perhaps animals.
Do any animals care for their fellows if they have poor genes, or little possibility of breeding?

I think you are wrong about that. Google the grandmother effect. If grandmothers live longer, they can provide childcare to young parents who can then go hunting. Evolution is affected by this dynamic.

Back