Will Science soon find evidence of Hell?

Medicine Woman said:
enton: Physically speaking, hell has long been present millenial times had passed on earth. Just ask where is the source of gasoline or kerosene. And scientists will answe, "of course not on clouds but beneath the earth." Volcanoes too testify by way of eruption physically speaking.
M*W: "Hell" is a contraction of "helios," the Greek word for "sun." The ancients feared and awed the sun and knew the sun could destroy them. They couldn't look directly into the face of the sun or it would blind them. (Incidently, that is still the case). The sun giveth and the sun taketh awayeth.

"Hell" on the other hand does NOT imply "a place beneath or deep into the Earth." If anything, "hell" was the Earth. Volcanoes, earthquakes, tsunamis, hurricanes, tornadoes, floods, droughts, locusts, famines, you name it, are "of the Earth," and the ancients also feared and awed these elements. (Incidentally, we still do).

Crude oil is the substance that is drilled for and pumped from deep within the Earth. Gasoline and kerosene are the refined products of crude oil. They have nothing to do with the mythical concept of hell.

Why include the "mythological" as you`ve related "hell" to Helios/heliogabalus/Apollo. And how about Hades/Sheol?

By the way, what about "hello" etymologically? Don`t tell me "hello" is a cognate to "hell".

superluminal said:
I'm assuming this is a joke, but just in case...

No.

Hello
ETYMOLOGY: Alteration of hallo, alteration of obsolete holla, stop!, perhaps from Old French hola : ho, ho! + la, there (from Latin illc, that way).

Hell
ETYMOLOGY: Middle English helle, from Old English. See kel-1 in Appendix I.

ENTRY: kel-1
DEFINITION: To cover, conceal, save. Oldest form *el-, becoming *kel- in centum languages.
Derivatives include hell, hole, holster, apocalypse, and eucalyptus.
I. O-grade form *kol-. 1a. hell, from Old English hell; b. Hel, from Old Norse Hel, the underworld, goddess of death. Both a and b from Germanic *halj, the underworld (< “concealed place”). 2a. hall, from Old English heall, hall; b. Valhalla, from Old Norse höll, hall. Both a and b from Germanic *hall, covered place, hall. 3. Suffixed form *kol-eyo-. coleus; coleopteran, coleoptile, coleorhiza, from Greek koleon, koleos, sheath.
II. Zero-grade form *k-. 1a. hold2, hull, from Old English hulu, husk, pod (< “that which covers”); b. hole, from Old English hol, a hollow; c. hollow, from Old English holh, hole, hollow; d. haugh, from Old English healh, secret place, small hollow. a–d all from Germanic *hul-. 2a. holster, from Old High German hulft, covering; b. housing2, from Medieval Latin hultia, protective covering. Both a and b from suffixed Germanic form *hulft-. 3. Extended form *k- becoming *kl-. clandestine, from Latin clam, in secret. 4. Suffixed variant form *kal-up-yo-. Calypso1, calyptra; Apocalypse, eucalyptus, from Greek kaluptein, to cover, conceal.

Source: The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language: Fourth Edition. 2000.

This thread reminds me of the primitive thinking people did when they thought the world was flat.

Back