will science & religon ever be able to co-exist?

spiritual_spy

SN0W_F0X Founder
Registered Senior Member
My science teacher thinks so. She says the within the next 50 years that a "bridge" will be built between Science and religon. She seems to think trhat eventualy science will prove the existenc of the supernatural. What do you think?

I think that science will create machines that will themselves create technology indistinguishable from the supernatural.

Some aspects of life may never be explainable by science, but I don't think that it's necessarily science's job to explain everything.

I believe science and religion are one in the same, at least mine anyway. When you believe in a God who made all the matter and energy that is, I'd say studying the laws of matter and energy and how it all works is studying the workings of God. If you couldn't prove a creator and wanted to study the creator, you would study his creation and the laws behind it. Pretty much what science is.

I don't believe the supernatural, in general, or for that matter, religion, will be proven in full or even in part. Some of religion is metaphorical, some probably had their words tainted over time, and some is just exaggerated. Depends on how you take the holy texts you read. Probably too general of a question for me to give a good answer.

spidergoat said:
I think that science will create machines that will themselves create technology indistinguishable from the supernatural.
dont we have mind altering drugs that can do that now.

science and religion, you are having a laugh, the two are mutually exclusive.

science is truth and god is truth the two never parted ways but in the minds of man... allow me to explain
creationism is one of the biggest wars between science and religion because people take the symbolism in the bible to mean fact, but have you ever explianed astrophyisics to scared superstious acients before? what better way to describe gravity than a "great wind" or evolution as the appearance of creatures in an ordered fashion. the reason why god is known as a father is because just like a father he started the process and let it happen but unlike a man he knew exactly how to spin the big bang to create an earth suitable for humans

spiritual_spy said:
My science teacher thinks so. She says the within the next 50 years that a "bridge" will be built between Science and religon. She seems to think trhat eventualy science will prove the existenc of the supernatural. What do you think?

I think that science is a threat to any religion that makes claims of truth. The threat being that science can ask reality questions and if reality yields an answer that contradicts a religious claim then the religious claim is falsified.

Regarding the supernatural, if such a thing exists then science will likely be the only process that will find it. In fact there are some great theories on what the supernatural is and they all boils down to "it's man-made fantasy".

spiritual_spy said:

I think your science teacher isn't a scientist.

Download 'A Question Of Origins' and consider what both the Evolutionists and the Creationists are validating their arguments with. Once done, reconsider the claim that Religion and Science do not co-exist already. Only in the minds of the ignorant and the uneducated are the two "mutually exclusive". I'm not sure of another way to show you, that video is the best I've come across.

Science and Religion, in their origins, are one in the same... the seeking for the truth.

Originally (for most atleast), religion was created to explain why things happened... then it evolved into other things, but originally it was created to explain things.

Science explains things.

Last time I checked, they both co-exist right now, its just the extremests on both sides that attack the other.

Religion does not mean Creationism.
Science does not mean Evolution (because, sadly, there are those few stubborn [and most likely religious] scientists who say evolution isnt most probable if not fact)

Creationism pertains to certain religions, but not even all of those religions, only the fundies (the extremists)

Extreme scientists (not saying all athiests or agnostics) try to attack religion, not even trying to solve better things... like the cure of something (yea yea, say they are trying to cure the "god virus".. a virus either infects cells and then makes them burst and then spreads or infects box-like electrical units aka computers :p )

If you ask me, Science and Religion arent separate, they conradict sometimes, but so do people... and those contradictions are only because of ignorant extremists and fundies...

But hey, thats just my 2 cents... (where the hell did that expression come from??)

Science is concerned with "how" and not with the "why" that religion concerns itself with. Science offers its explanations provisionally and is always willing to revise with new evidence; religion is absolute and far more hesitant to revise or progress.

Science could give two shits about religion unless it attempts to set policy or make claims that affect the education of science. Religion seems preoccupied with science and the truth it finds.

If we're all lucky, religion will be an obsolete institution in humanity.

In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth. (big bang)

2 Now the earth was [a] formless and empty, (dust cloud) darkness was over the surface of the deep (space), and the Spirit of God was hovering over the waters.

3 And God said, "Let there be light," and there was light. (sun) 4 God saw that the light was good, and He separated the light from the darkness. 5 God called the light "day," and the darkness he called "night." And there was evening, and there was morning—the first day.

6 And God said, "Let there be an expanse between the waters to separate water from water." 7 So God made the expanse and separated the water under the expanse from the water above it. (space/atmosphere/cooling rock of earth) And it was so. 8 God called the expanse "sky." And there was evening, and there was morning—the second day.

9 And God said, "Let the water under the sky be gathered to one place, and let dry ground appear." And it was so. (cooling of rock)10 God called the dry ground "land," and the gathered waters he called "seas." And God saw that it was good.

11 Then God said, "Let the land produce vegetation: seed-bearing plants and trees on the land that bear fruit with seed in it, according to their various kinds." And it was so. 12 The land produced vegetation: plants bearing seed according to their kinds and trees bearing fruit with seed in it according to their kinds. And God saw that it was good. (little things grow like bacteria along with plants)13 And there was evening, and there was morning—the third day.

14 And God said, "Let there be lights in the expanse of the sky to separate the day from the night, and let them serve as signs to mark seasons and days and years, 15 and let them be lights in the expanse of the sky to give light on the earth." And it was so. 16 God made two great lights—the greater light to govern the day and the lesser light to govern the night. He also made the stars. 17 God set them in the expanse of the sky to give light on the earth, 18 to govern the day and the night, and to separate light from darkness. And God saw that it was good. (the atmosphere clears allowing from an earth perspective for the heavenly bodies to be seen)19 And there was evening, and there was morning—the fourth day.

20 And God said, "Let the water teem with living creatures, and let birds fly above the earth across the expanse of the sky." 21 So God created the great creatures of the sea and every living and moving thing with which the water teems, according to their kinds, and every winged bird according to its kind. And God saw that it was good. 22 God blessed them and said, "Be fruitful and increase in number and fill the water in the seas, and let the birds increase on the earth."(birds are related to dinosaurs) 23 And there was evening, and there was morning—the fifth day.

24 And God said, "Let the land produce living creatures according to their kinds: livestock, creatures that move along the ground, and wild animals, each according to its kind." And it was so. 25 God made the wild animals according to their kinds, the livestock according to their kinds, and all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (mamals came last)And God saw that it was good.

Preaching is against forum rules. This is a forum to talk about religion not proselytize it.

All in 6 days? Explain that part ^^

And i dont think thats preaching... he is explaining a supposed connection with the Creation story with scientific theories, even though its a bit shakey

Provita said:
All in 6 days? Explain that part ^^

And i dont think thats preaching... he is explaining a supposed connection with the Creation story with scientific theories, even though its a bit shakey

I dont think it means a literal six days. The bible isnt meant to be taken literaly becuase if it is then there are alot of problems in it.

Back