Why wouldn't Jesus be an asshole??

Stalin wasn't an athiest, nimwit. Nobody really knows what he believed, if anything.

Hitler was a Christian, started WW2 which killed some 50 million people, so I think he's outdone Stalin anyway.

Gee, your right. That atheist named Stalin really didn't kill more people then Hitler. Boy - did you get uninteresting really quick!

The difference though, is that Stalin was a sociopathic, blood thirsty, power hungry nutjob who slaughtered to keep his grip on the USSR. The difference is that atheism has not, as yet, convinced otherwise good people to commit attrocites eg. burning people, driving infidels out of the holyland. Atheism has no influence on a person's morality because it is merely a single value toward something that other's believe in.

That is why there are no atheist charities(excepting things like atheistcharity.org). It is not a uniting banner or a set of common values or views: it is a sufficiently small value that it has no influence. It would be like all the subjectivists or determinists running off and forming a charity. Instead atheists bugger off to their nearest charity in a disparate and unorganised fashion. Because they aren't altruistic as a group doesn't mean they aren't altruistic.

Originally posted by Zero
You might've heard this all too often, but judging that someone is obsessed with him/herself just because s/he is atheist is stupid.
Everybody is 'obsessed with themselves' to some degree. It's part of the human condition, part of being self-aware. No one has a lock on it, either theist or athiest. To the degree that they obsess on themselves, they exclude consideration for others. When I'm thinking about me, I'm not thinking about you.
Originally posted by Xev
I do not know. You claimed to know, I pointed out different motivations.
Xev - if you claim to know a persons underlying motivations, you are claiming to know something at the heart of a person that cannot be determined but only guessed at. So if you could point out different motivations in one sentence, and then claim in the next sentence not to know or care, and then in the third sentance accuse me of attacking you, then I'm afraid I'm just going to have to hold onto my credit card and bank account numbers until we can come to a better understanding. :)

Originally posted by Xev
You don't hear about athiests spilling the oceans of blood that the vicious sheep of the Nazarene did, now do you?
Originally posted by Voodoo Child
The difference though, is that Stalin was a sociopathic, blood thirsty, power hungry nutjob who slaughtered to keep his grip on the USSR.
So, even though Stalin was head of an avowed athiestic state, current day athiests don't want to be associated with his actions? Fine. Then why do all us current day Christians have to take the heat for all the sociopathic, blood thirsty, power hungry nutjobs who used the Nazarene as cover for their antics? Maybe we can start over again. Hi, my name is Turduckin. What's yours?

PS: Xev - I was only counting 'non-comabatants' killed in prisons or death camps. Otherwise, your right.

Turduckin:
Xev - if you claim to know a persons underlying motivations, you are claiming to know something at the heart of a person that cannot be determined but only guessed at. So if you could point out different motivations in one sentence, and then claim in the next sentence not to know or care, and then in the third sentance accuse me of attacking you, then I'm afraid I'm just going to have to hold onto my credit card and bank account numbers until we can come to a better understanding.

I claim to know possible motivations. Perhaps I should have used smaller words.

So, even though Stalin was head of an avowed athiestic state, current day athiests don't want to be associated with his actions?

Avowed athiestic? Totalitarianism is merely another form of religion. They simply did not believe in your God.

Fine. Then why do all us current day Christians have to take the heat for all the sociopathic, blood thirsty, power hungry nutjobs who used the Nazarene as cover for their antics?

How do you know the inner hearts of all those dead Crusaders?

PS: Xev - I was only counting 'non-comabatants' killed in prisons or death camps. Otherwise, your right.

Of course I am. That's because I try to look at things reasonably before throwing blanket insults around and use reason and arguments to persuade, rather than fling insults for no reason.

Now, flinging insults when well deserved....;)

One of 'em. So is chocalate and Clive Barker. I have a kinda athiestic pantheon going on here, music is another god. So are nice guns and so is sushi. There are other gods I worship too.

Back