Why would God punish children for the sins of their fathers?

Which implies that god is neither omnibenevolent nor omnipotent.

God does not want robots. True love (omnibenevolence) means God will not dictate your choices and that means the consequences must be allowed to play out (to the bitter end in some cases).

Clearly and omnipotent god could create beings that had free will and yet did not commit evil or sin. Clearly, since this hasn't been the case god is either not omnipotent or is not omnibenevolent.

Or: there simply is not god and people invent magical explanations for things they have difficulty understanding.

Clearly and omnipotent god could create beings that had free will and yet did not commit evil or sin. Clearly, since this hasn't been the case god is either not omnipotent or is not omnibenevolent.

Or: there simply is not god and people invent magical explanations for things they have difficulty understanding.

Or they simply reject everything they don't understand.

Warrior61, could you please give me your views on this, as well?

Yea sure no problem. I'm busy right now. (wow that sounds like a answering machine) Anyway I will try to make a post later today, probably tonight.

Thank you,
His son,
><>Warrior61<><

The bible is talking about passing down the affects of sin to the next generations. Like a mother on crack who has a crack baby.

Can you please explain this little gem of a verse to me please?

Deuteronomy 23:2
A bastard shall not enter into the congregation of the LORD; even to his tenth generation shall he not enter into the congregation of the LORD.

Thanks!

A bastard shall not enter into the congregation of the LORD; even to his tenth generation shall he not enter into the congregation of the LORD.

Thanks!

M*W: It must mean that we are all bastards, and we shouldn't enter into a congregation of the lord. Sounds like an advertisement for atheism. Count me in.

Thanks!

God deals with us according to our perceptions and understanding. The Israelites had just come out of slavery and God had to set some strict rules so they wouldn't slip back into the surrounding heathen practices. They didn't know how to act on principle. These bastard children were the result of Balaam's advice to seduce the Israelites into immoral practices (see verse 5). The consequences of sexual immorality was bastard children.

God deals with us according to our perceptions and understanding. The Israelites had just come out of slavery and God had to set some strict rules so they wouldn't slip back into the surrounding heathen practices. They didn't know how to act on principle. These bastard children were the result of Balaam's advice to seduce the Israelites into immoral practices (see verse 5). The consequences of sexual immorality was bastard children.

O.K... So these children were completely innocent of those immoral practices... So...? They were being kicked out of the congregation merely for being born in the wrong family, or under the wrong circumstances? So you are perhaps saying that they indeed were being kicked out of the congregation, for 10 generations, because of the sins of their parents? And why exactly is this their fault again? I truely do not understand this!

What do you think of the term "bastard"? Should such a word, or concept, even be once mentioned in the Bible?

As for slavery, it would appear that, in the Old Testament, the Israelites were rescued from slavery under the Egyptians, by God. Possibly because, I don't know, slavery was wrong or even evil. But then God allowed and even commanded that the Israelites then enslave many of their own enemies. So if it was done to them it was wrong, but if they did it to anyone else it apparently was considered right? I do not understand this either!

Thanks!

O.K... So these children were completely innocent of those immoral practices... So...? They were being kicked out of the congregation merely for being born in the wrong family, or under the wrong circumstances? So you are perhaps saying that they indeed were being kicked out of the congregation, for 10 generations, because of the sins of their parents? And why exactly is this their fault again? I truely do not understand this!

What do you think of the term "bastard"? Should such a word, or concept, even be once mentioned in the Bible?

As for slavery, it would appear that, in the Old Testament, the Israelites were rescued from slavery under the Egyptians, by God. Possibly because, I don't know, slavery was wrong or even evil. But then God allowed and even commanded that the Israelites then enslave many of their own enemies. So if it was done to them it was wrong, but if they did it to anyone else it apparently was considered right? I do not understand this either!

Thanks!

Trying to figure out the mess that is the bible is...a endless task.:eek:

I do not think it is god handing this punishment, more like people! A real judge would punish for the intention and knowledge of the crime.

Someone should start a thread on Karma, if they know enough about it, I never read much on the idea.

Last edited:

Thanks!

It certainly is not their fault, but the eventual compromising influence they would have had on the other Israelites would have spoiled the pot. The children will eventally become adults and the morality they learned would be the same as their parents most likely. Further, just because they were excluded from the congregation doesn't mean they had lost there chance. It is just that they had to reapply for membership so to speak.

As far as Israelites practicing slavery, they were ignorant or in rebellion. God worked with them at their level of understanding.

There is a point that God rejects a nation. Humans can push sinful practices to the point where God can no longer reach them. At that point they are destroyed like Sodom and Gomorrah or He uses some other agency like the Israelites to carry it out.

Thanks Gordon,

Here are some of the verses I am currently studying along this topic. You have already commented on some of these.

Does God punish us for the sins of our fathers?

No He Does Not, Great!

Deuteronomy 24:16
The fathers shall not be put to death for the children, neither shall the children be put to death for the fathers: every man shall be put to death for his own sin.

Thank you,
His son,
><>Warrior61<><
2 Kings 14:6
But the children of the murderers he slew not: according unto that which is written in the book of the law of Moses, wherein the LORD commanded, saying, The fathers shall not be put to death for the children, nor the children be put to death for the fathers; but every man shall be put to death for his own sin.

Jeremiah 31:29-30
In those days they shall say no more, The fathers have eaten a sour grape, and the children's teeth are set on edge. But every one shall die for his own iniquity.

Ezekiel18:20
The soul that sinneth, it shall die. The son shall not bear the iniquity of the father, neither shall the father bear the iniquity of the son: the righteousness of the righteous shall be upon him, and the wickedness of the wicked shall be upon him.

Ummm… Yes He Does, Arggg!

Genesis 9:21-25
And Ham, the father of Canaan, saw the nakedness of his father .... And Noah awoke from his wine, and knew what his younger son had done unto him. And he said, Cursed be Canaan [Ham's son]; a servant of servants shall he be unto his brethren.

Noah believed in this form of “justice” and he was a “righteous” man.

Exodus 20:5 , Deuteronomy 5:9
I the Lord thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation.

Exodus 34:7
Visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children, and upon the children's children unto the third and to the fourth generation.

Numbers 14:18
Visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation.

2 Chronicles 21:10-15
10 Thus Edom has been in revolt against Judah’s authority to this day. At that time Libnah revolted against his rule, because he had forsaken the LORD God of his fathers. 11 Moreover he made high places in the mountains of Judah, and caused the inhabitants of Jerusalem to commit harlotry, and led Judah astray. 12 And a letter came to him from Elijah the prophet, saying, Thus says the LORD God of your father David: Because you have not walked in the ways of Jehoshaphat your father, or in the ways of Asa king of Judah, 13 but have walked in the way of the kings of Israel, and have made Judah and the inhabitants of Jerusalem to play the harlot like the harlotry of the house of Ahab, and also have killed your brothers, those of your father’s household, who were better than yourself, 14 behold, the LORD will strike your people with a serious affliction—your children, your wives, and all your possessions; 15 and you will become very sick with a disease of your intestines, until your intestines come out by reason of the sickness, day by day.

Now, how could this ever be the child's fault?

Deuteronomy 28:18
Cursed shall be the fruit of thy body.

2 Samuel 12:13-14
13 Then David said to Nathan, "I have sinned against the LORD."
Nathan replied, "The LORD has taken away your sin. You are not going to die. 14 But because by doing this you have made the enemies of the LORD show utter contempt, the son born to you will die."

Here an innocent child is killed because of the sins of his father, David.

2 Samuel 21:6-9
Let seven men of his sons be delivered unto us, and we will hang them up unto the LORD .... And he delivered them into the hands of the Gibeonites, and they hanged them in the hill before the LORD.

1 Kings 2:33
Their blood shall therefore return upon the head of Joab, and upon the head of his seed for ever.

1 Kings 11:11-12
Wherefore the LORD said unto Solomon, Forasmuch as this is done of thee, and thou hast not kept my covenant and my statutes, which I have commanded thee, I will surely rend the kingdom from thee, and will give it to thy servant. Notwithstanding in thy days I will not do it for David thy father's sake: but I will rend it out of the hand of thy son.

1 Kings 21:29
Seest thou how Ahab humbleth himself before me? because he humbleth himself before me, I will not bring the evil in his days: but in his son's days will I bring the evil upon his house.

Isaiah 14:21
Prepare slaughter for his children for the iniquity of their fathers.

Isaiah 47:8-9
8 “ Therefore hear this now, you who are given to pleasures,
Who dwell securely,
Who say in your heart, ‘I am, and there is no one else besides me;
I shall not sit as a widow,
Nor shall I know the loss of children’;
9 But these two things shall come to you
In a moment, in one day:
The loss of children, and widowhood.
They shall come upon you in their fullness
Because of the multitude of your sorceries,
For the great abundance of your enchantments.

Jeremiah 16:10-11
Wherefore hath the Lord pronounced all this great evil against us? ... Because your fathers have forsaken me, saith the Lord.

Jeremiah 29:32
Therefore thus saith the LORD; Behold, I will punish Shemaiah the Nehelamite, and his seed.

Jeremiah 32:18
Thou ... recompensest the iniquity of the fathers into the bosom of their children after them.

Zephaniah 1:8
I will punish the princes, and the king's children, and all such as are clothed with strange apparel.

Perhaps I am wrong about some of these! Or maybe the quoted version is untrustworthy! What do you think?

First of all thank you so much for dividing them up. Now let's hash this out. Ready? Go.

Ok. Let's go back to the first time God carried out punishment. Adam. Everyone after Adam suffered. Why? Because of Adam? NO. Everyone who has come after Adam has sinned. I think you were the one quoting from Romans 3 in your other thread. I says a little something like No one is good. I am sorry I do not see God killing innocent people. Let me clarify. It says:

The fathers shall not be put to death for the children, neither shall the children be put to death for the fathers: every man shall be put to death for his own sin.

Notice how it says own sin. None of us are innocent. Well that doesn't explain it, but it does. We see countless times how God does not forsake those who call on Him. When it says He will punish the children the children are without sin? They are still in sin and sinful. I do not believe that God is going to punish the ones who have faith in Him. Notice also how the first versus are talking about being put to death. Like it was brought up earlier how STD's are past on and the term "crackbabies." Do they deserve it? They didn't do it. Well all I can say is this is the effect of sin in the world. Some do have it worse than others, in our eyes. Unfortunately the affects of the parents do hinder the child. Such as interracial children. I live where this is frowned upon. It makes it crappy for the kid. The parents do have responsibility. If you are a crappy parent you will make it hard on your kid. It is a natural consequence. But you will say. God punishing the innocent children?! How can you wiggle out of that?! They were apart from it!! They couldn't help it! We can not help that we are born into the world. Once we are we are and can't change that. Why should I be born into a middle-class family instead of a upper-class one. Why can I walk and my best friend can't? Because we chose and choose to disobey God and this is the consequence of sin. Still there is no verse that will tell you God will not answer those who call on Him. He does. He answers.

Last edited:
It certainly is not their fault, but the eventual compromising influence they would have had on the other Israelites would have spoiled the pot. The children will eventally become adults and the morality they learned would be the same as their parents most likely. Further, just because they were excluded from the congregation doesn't mean they had lost there chance. It is just that they had to reapply for membership so to speak.

As far as Israelites practicing slavery, they were ignorant or in rebellion. God worked with them at their level of understanding.

There is a point that God rejects a nation. Humans can push sinful practices to the point where God can no longer reach them. At that point they are destroyed like Sodom and Gomorrah or He uses some other agency like the Israelites to carry it out.

The "pot" was already spoiled. Yet, they couldn't reapply for "membership", as you put it, for something on the order of 400 years? The enforcement of the Mosaic Law would have killed off all of the real "evil doers" in only the very first generation. It was rather good at that! If you did not obey the Law in this area you were simply killed. None Left! Problem Solved! So, why do we need to do this to 9 more generations?

Would you recommend this practice today?

What do you think of the term "bastard", kl5k? Should such a word, or concept, ever be mentioned in the Bible as a legitimate way of looking at another human being, even once? Would you ever teach this word to your own children? How many people are there out there today that you would consider to be illegitimate humans by birth? Do you think it is right to slap this label on an innocent child? You skipped or missed this question.

Thanks Again!

Last edited:
First of all thank you so much for dividing them up. Now let's hash this out. Ready? Go.

Ok. Let's go back to the first time God carried out punishment. Adam. Everyone after Adam suffered. Why? Because of Adam? NO. Everyone who has come after Adam has sinned. I think you were the one quoting from Romans 3 in your other thread. I says a little something like No one is good. I am sorry I do not see God killing innocent people. Let me clarify. It says:

Notice how it says own sin. None of us are innocent. Well that doesn't explain it, but it does. We see countless times how God does not forsake those who call on Him. When it says He will punish the children the children are without sin? They are still in sin and sinful. I do not believe that God is going to punish the ones who have faith in Him. Notice also how the first versus are talking about being put to death. Like it was brought up earlier how STD's are past on and the term "crackbabies." Do they deserve it? They didn't do it. Well all I can say is this is the effect of sin in the world. Some do have it worse than others, in our eyes. Unfortunately the affects of the parents do hinder the child. Such as interracial children. I live where this is frowned upon. It makes it crappy for the kid. The parents do have responsibility. If you are a crappy parent you will make it hard on your kid. It is a natural consequence. But you will say. God punishing the innocent children?! How can you wiggle out of that?! They were apart from it!! They couldn't help it! We can not help that we are born into the world. Once we are we are and can't change that. Why should I be born into a middle-class family instead of a upper-class one. Why can I walk and my best friend can't? Because we chose and choose to disobey God and this is the consequence of sin. Still there is no verse that will tell you God will not answer those who call on Him. He does. He answers.

I understand what you are saying and I agree with the bit about natural consequences, but...

1. The following verse clearly gives the reason this child died, and it is obviously not because of natural consequences. The one who was guilty, David, lived. He did not die for his own sin, So...

2 Samuel 12:13-14
13 Then David said to Nathan, "I have sinned against the LORD."
Nathan replied, "The LORD has taken away your sin. You are not going to die. 14 But because by doing this you have made the enemies of the LORD show utter contempt, the son born to you will die."

2. Please explain the following verse. Any Ideas?

3. Please provide the natural consequences involved in the verse below.

Isaiah 14:21
Prepare slaughter for his children for the iniquity of their fathers.

Well, that is a few to start on, anyway. Perhaps you can eliminate them one by one.

It is late and I do not want to catch your mono!

Thank you for your post!

The "pot" was already spoiled. Yet, they couldn't reapply for "membership", as you put it, for something on the order of 400 years? The enforcement of the Mosaic Law would have killed off all of the real "evil doers" in only the very first generation. It was rather good at that! If you did not obey the Law in this area you were simply killed. None Left! Problem Solved! So, why do we need to do this to 9 more generations?

Would you recommend this practice today?

What do you think of the term "bastard", kl5k? Should such a word, or concept, ever be mentioned in the Bible as a legitimate way of looking at another human being, even once? Would you ever teach this word to your own children? How many people are their out their today that you would consider to be illegitimate humans by birth? Do you think it is right to slap this label on an innocent child? You skipped or missed this question.

Thanks Again!

Yes I don't use the word bastard. I wouldn't recommend using it today in our poticially correct, hyper sensitive culture. I only used it because you brought up that word. The NKJV of the bible does not contain the word, BTW.

Yes I don't use the word bastard. I wouldn't recommend using it today in our poticially correct, hyper sensitive culture. I only used it because you brought up that word. The NKJV of the bible does not contain the word, BTW.

I am glad! That is what I thought! But do you think it?

I realize that other versions, fortunately, do not use the word "bastard" anymore. That is good, or adaptive, or something. I don't know! But, the "concept" of what was being communicated usually remains, so this changes little, in my mind.

The question on the table at this point might be then; do you personally think that God could ever judge a person merely for being born to a mother and father who sinned? I would guess that you would say no, just as I would. Justice would demand that each person be judged according to his or her own sin, not for the sin of another? That is what other parts of the Bible tell you. And that is also what your heart tells you, right? So why is a Law like this, a Law that looks this bad, embedded in something that is supposed to be the "Law of God"? You must answer that question for yourself.

The easy way out here, and you are of course free to take it, is to simply say something like, "I do not understand these verses". That is a perfectly good answer as far as I am concerned. Scientists run into things that they cannot explain, all the time. But, that does not mean that they always throw out their entire theory, because of it. Take a look at Quantum Mechanics sometime. They are usually willing to modify their theory to match the evidence, ever more closely. There certainly are many, many, many things that I do not understand! But that is what I am imperfectly trying to do with my concept of God.

Right or wrong, my own conclusion so far is that God could never have said or commanded this, and that it is incorrectly being attributed to Him. But I have a lot to learn in every area of my life. You must do what you think is right, of course!

Thank you, once again!

ok let's try this

its not uncommon for atheists to raise the objection that if God does in fact exist, then why hasn't he solved the issue of evil in the world. The answer is of course that he is dealing with the issue of evil, but in a progressive manner. Atheists incorrectly assume that God's only choice is to deal with the problem all at once in a single act. God, however, is dealing with the issue of evil through his justice system (dharma - religious rules, karma - resultant acts according to the obedience/transgression of those rules, samsara - the booby prize, ie repeated birth and death in the material world).

The atheist is then likely to respond that it shouldn't take so long for an omnipotent god to deal with the issue of evil, to which the answer is: "Let's say that right now, god asserted that all evil in existence will now simply cease to be. In other words every human being in creation would simply vanish into non existence. Is this an acceptable solution for you?"

The atheist is then likely to demand that a better solution must be available. They would probably suggest that God should have created living entities in such a fashion that people would avoid evil completely . This idea falls on its face since such a scenario means we would no longer have the facility of free will. This situation requires that God manufactures robots who act only in pre-programmed ways.

If the atheist insists saying there must be a better solution to the issue of evil, one can give them this easy test. What is the solution to the problem of evil that
(a) does not infringe on human freedom, or
(b) acts in such a fashion to cause god to violate His constitutional attributes in some way.

Don't expect much of an answer.

Back