Why would God kill even the righteous?

SetiAlpha6

Come Let Us Reason Together
Valued Senior Member
Just to show that He can?

Ezekiel 21:1-5
1 The word of the LORD came to me: 2 "Son of man, set your face against Jerusalem and preach against the sanctuary. Prophesy against the land of Israel 3 and say to her: 'This is what the LORD says: I am against you. I will draw my sword from its scabbard and cut off from you both the righteous and the wicked. 4 Because I am going to cut off the righteous and the wicked, my sword will be unsheathed against everyone from south to north. 5 Then all people will know that I the LORD have drawn my sword from its scabbard; it will not return again.'

First off, observe that unlike Paul’s declaration in Romans 3:10, "that there are none righteous", here we have God himself declaring that there really are some that are righteous, and even in the Old Testament days. Hmmm… This cannot be! God must have been wrong here!

Notice further in the passage above that we also have God killing off even the “righteous” along with the wicked. Why? What is the stated reason for doing this? So that “all people will know that I am the LORD” and that He has “drawn” His “sword from its scabbard”. Apparently even the righteous are not safe from this beings wrath. This contradicts scriptures all over the place.

Does anyone else see a problem with this?

Well, now I know that God kills off the righteous along with the wicked so that I will know that, He is the one who kills off the righteous along with the wicked, and that he is the LORD. Nice marketing plan! His ways certainly are not our ways. I would guess that this probably worked about as well as all of the other failed strategies He tried on His people. Why can’t He ever figure out how to show Himself to His people in a way that will gain both their admiration and respect? Can’t He just show up on earth in person sometime with full invincibility and unlimited ammo enabled? Or what if He were to use His mind reading capabilities for good and kill off only the truly wicked? You know guys like Hitler! That might work a little better, IMO. Now that would probably make the whole world stand up and notice Him. But instead we always have to send our own sons to die by the millions until such an evil person is defeated. Of course, I forgot that according to the Bible, God is the one who placed Hitler in power to begin with. I suppose that means that all who fought against Hitler in the war were really working in opposition to God's will. Good thing that makes sense!?

I am sure glad that most mere men have better sense than this. Any man who recommended this course of action to solve anything would be, or should be, regarded as insane. But here, the only Christian response is likely to be, “blessed be the name of the LORD.” And in so doing they are really giving approval to this kind of behavior. They have no other choice, do they?

Can anyone explain what is going on in this passage in a way that makes God come out smelling like a rose?

Last edited:
I warn you in advance that this scripture may be prophetic.

"cutting off" is a term used often in divine judgement. I prefer to look this up rather that guess...but I'll return tonight a give you the complete understanding...

When the bible refers to "cutting off" I don't think it's about killing it's talking about a dividing or seperation. There are several prophesies that read like this but there talking of grape vines...It's symbolic for the good and the righteous...

remember that the bible says that the word of God is sharper than any two edge sword, to the dividing of the soul and the....(don't remember the rest)

This scripture seems to be speaking of a time of judgement inwhich the good will be cut away from the wicked becaue they exist together as if on the same vine....but I'll have to correct myself tonight to be 100% sure of this scriptural text.

I warn you in advance that this scripture may be prophetic.

Thanks for the kind warning!

If it is prophetic, you probably will not know that it is, until it is too late. It has something to do with the fact that God loves everyone and wants everyone to be saved, but likes to hide from them.

Please let me know what you find out tonight.

The question has all the logic of why does Popeye wait until he's half beat up before eating his spinach. :shrug: It's all fantasy. :rolleyes:

Because if god kills a few people who love and obey him, guess what he will do to people who don't believe and are wicked. He has to set an example, and hey, they're gonna go to heaven anyways.

Because if god kills a few people who love and obey him, guess what he will do to people who don't believe and are wicked. He has to set an example, and hey, they're gonna go to heaven anyways.

:confused: Orleander.. ? It's not Halloween anymore..

1 The word of the LORD came to me: 2 "Son of man, set your face against Jerusalem and preach against the sanctuary. Prophesy against the land of Israel 3 and say to her: 'This is what the LORD says: I am against you. I will draw my sword from its scabbard and cut off from you both the righteous and the wicked. 4 Because I am going to cut off the righteous and the wicked, my sword will be unsheathed against everyone from south to north. 5 Then all people will know that I the LORD have drawn my sword from its scabbard; it will not return again.'

I am against you. I will draw my sword from its scabbard and cut off from you both the righteous and the wicked.

This scripture is indeed a prophetic like but not a prophesy in the traditional way. God has sent down a proclamation against Judah for it's Idolatrous behvior. So this is not so much a prediction but a warning. Which is what the prophets often served as, a official of God to his people.

My research immediately brought up. Job 9:22 One thing there is. That is why I do say,
‘One blameless, also a wicked one, he is bringing to their end.’

God's "sword" is symbolic. Drawing the sword is a warning. The use of the sword against the righteous and wicked applies the warning of the execution of judgement. Fairly often and in more direct ways God warns in the bible that their will be a judging of the righteous and the unrighteous...a resurrection of the righteous and the unrighteous.

The bible clearly denotes in a number of scriptures that death and life are executions of judement thus the sword of God can be applied to both the Good and the Bad. The warning to the good is often not to become blood guilt before God. Blood guilt is an indirect error in the bible that can have adverse judgements. It includes failure to render aid, failure to give warning to God's soon to be applied judgement.

I'm attempting summarize there is a lot of correlating scripture. I stand ready to post it all if you like...

Death is GOOD is you're going to a better destination...

Yes.

This is something that has been totally missed by SetiAlpha6.

I have even heard it exclaimed by people today that in a all out nuclear war the survivors will envy the dead. The book of Revelation reveals something about the End times you may wish to think upon.

Revelation 9
6 In those days men will seek death and will not find it; they will desire to die, and death will flee from them.

As a Christian I long to be free of this world to be in the presence of God. So yes death is a blessing if your going to a better place. :)

All Praise The Ancient Of Days

Back